• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Palworld developers confirm they will fight against Nintendo lawsuit to ensure indie devs are not discouraged 'from pursuing their creative ideas'

Griffon

Feels like it. It's obvious to anyone how similar they are. Nintendo is chasing the patents because it'll give them a stronger case, but I suspect the real reason they have a problem is that the Palworld devs are shamelessly airlifting the aesthetic wholesale. It's a core part of the appeal of Nintendo's franchise, and they know it. Kids are gonna see Palworld and think 'Pokémon'.

If they'd gone with their own aesthetic and designs, they probably would be getting away with it.

Complete and total opposite.

The lawsuit is not about the design nor IP infringement, because even Nintendo lawyers know that pocket pair didn't infringe on their IP.

It's a petty lawsuit about shitty broad patents on gameplay mechanics, this is plain wrong and shouldn't pass. Nintendo doesn't own the concept of capturing monsters, it's ridiculous.

Doesn't matter if Nintendo's motivation is the similar art style or not, using patents like that is wrong and open the doors for bigger abuses.

Last edited:

Neff

Doesn't matter if Nintendo's motivation is the similar art style or not, using patents like that is wrong and open the doors for bigger abuses.

It does matter because those patents have been in Nintendo's posession forever, and they typically don't make a habit of flexing, unless you're blatantly stealing from them. Palworld is far, far too on the nose in terms of hijacking a brand and isn't something we should encourage.

Majukun

if the patent is the one circulating around the net, and would make sense since it's the one aspect palword has in common with pkmn in terms of gameplay, it definitely looks too generic to hold..but i'm no lawyer

Jesb

I can’t believe you can actually patent game mechanics. That’s insane. Characters is one thing, but a basic gameplay mechanic? So what’s to stop Capcom from patenting zombies or what if carjacking was patented by rockstar. This is ridiculous

Majukun

I can’t believe you can actually patent game mechanics. That’s insane. Characters is one thing, but a basic gameplay mechanic? So what’s to stop Capcom from patenting zombies or what if carjacking was patented by rockstar. This is ridiculous
general game mechanics you usually can't , very specific one like the "nemesys system" in SOM are accepted, but it might very well be a case of nobody wanted to try and challenge said patent

this will probably make a precedent, but only in japan

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
nintendos is greed but polwords are get killed on trial copy cats im sorry my friends

palworld-pocketpair-bext-game-1-2.jpg

c47f6f1fb2038f9d3c17c85792874c2d59dc9184.png

Last edited:

playbignbox

You copy what's successful. Thanks to you, the steam trailer for Craftopia got me hooked on a production line where whole cows are thrown into a boiling pot.
Many people say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, but it's still funny that the dev talks about creativity when their games are "Frankensteins" of many other games.

Top Bottom