• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Palworld Devs on people leaving Live Service Games after their popularity: 'Game was never designed to be played forever'

Draugoth

Gold Member
palworld-a-1440x810.jpg

A member of the Palworld development team says it isn’t healthy to play the same game all the time, if it wasn’t created with long-term gameplay in mind.

According to Buckley, if players continue to play the same title, it will enforce the belief among publishers and developers that more live service games are the way forward, diluting the market:

I don’t think you need to be pushing yourself to play the same game all the time“It’s not healthy for us, it’s not healthy for developers, it’s not healthy for gamers, it’s not healthy for gaming media.

And it’s just not healthy for our industry, because the more we push this kind of narrative, the more very large companies are going to just say ‘gamers want more live service’.

Source

Duchess

I don’t think you need to be pushing yourself to play the same game all the time“It’s not healthy for us, it’s not healthy for developers, it’s not healthy for gamers, it’s not healthy for gaming media.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Aye, no shit. Got flooded with laugh reactions here when I said the game doesn't have legs and even the devs know it, it was a flash in the pan that made them a wad of cash, good on 'em. Was never ever going to be the forever Pokémon game people wanted.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
This was a fast cash grab that somehow blew up. They got lucky. It was never an intensely thought out project.

Shubh_C63

Palworld's next big BIG update if good enough would cement this as a GOAT.

A bastardised goat but goat nonetheless.
Damn thing is still #28 most users in steam literally only one position behind Destiny 2. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Fbh

Gold Member
So even if I like a game I should stop playing it cause ... reasons?

I don't think they are saying you need to stop playing.
They are basically just saying that there's nothing wrong with a game coming out, being super popular for few months and then people moving on to something else once they have experienced everything the game has to offer. Not every game is intended to be some forever game and not every studio is going to hire 500+ employees to keep pumping out new content at the same pace as Fortnite.

Seems like a reaction to some people, including some here, trying to label any game that sees a natural decline in players over time (like Palworld and Helldivers 2) as a failure. When that is silly. If your game sold 15+ million units and had hundreds of thousands (or at times millions) of people engaged for multiple months it's a success by almost every metric. The same people rushing to call Palworld and Helldivers 2 a failure because it didn't sustain the massive number of players forever are probably celebrating whenever some single player game sells 5+ million copies.

Last edited:

thief183

I don't think they are saying you need to stop playing.
They are basically just saying that there's nothing wrong with a game coming out, being super popular for few months and then people moving on to something else once they have experienced everything the game has to offer. Not every game is intended to be some forever game and not every studio is going to hire 500+ employees to keep pumping out new content at the same pace as Fortnite.

Seems like a reaction to some people, including some here, trying to label any game that sees a natural decline in players over time (like Palworld and Helldivers 2) as a failure. When that is silly. If your game sold 15+ million units and had hundreds of thousands (or a times millions) of people engaged for multiple months it's a success by almost every metric. The same people rushing to call Palworld and Helldivers 2 a failure because it didn't sustain the massive number of players forever are probably celebrating whenever some single player game sells 5+ million copies.

Totally agree on that, still I think that having a game getting better and better over time is something I love. I'd love for example to have 5 more good quest every month in witcher 3 cause after 3 times I finished it I don't really want to redo the same stuff again

That's not what he's saying at all.

If you like it, keep playing. If you're tired of playing and don't have any good reason to continue, don't feel like you have to.
Totally agree on this.

Mr Hyde

The only game I can think of that is meant to be played "all the time", if I can say it like that, is No Man's Sky, due to how the game is designed. The variety of the gameplay loop and Hello Games efforts of continued support, with the additional expeditions, patches, community service and additional content makes it the only game that, for me at least, lives up to the live service template. Maybe Warframe comes close. The devs there seem to have the same design philosophy and dedication for its community.

Last edited:
Aye, no shit. Got flooded with laugh reactions here when I said the game doesn't have legs and even the devs know it, it was a flash in the pan that made them a wad of cash, good on 'em. Was never ever going to be the forever Pokémon game people wanted.
The laugh reactions happen because some people like yourself keep treating Palworld like some big publisher free to play title that needs the monthly revenue, but as stated to you before by many people, it doesn’t.

So the lifespan of this game doesn’t matter. It never did. The devs already won, hundredfold.

The reason some here are so laser focused on the game’s lifespan is because they want to find a way to paint this situation as a loss or failure, as if the devs who just earned hundreds of millions of dollars are suddenly crying over people who have stopped playing.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
That's not what he's saying at all.

If you like it, keep playing. If you're tired of playing and don't have any good reason to continue, don't feel like you have to.
And don't expect us to keep pumping out updates and content to keep you hooked in.
This was a fast cash grab that somehow blew up. They got lucky. It was never an intensely thought out project.
They did get lucky but calling it a cash grab is like saying every single player game is a cash grab, whereas the GaaS games selling season passes and skins and log-in bonuses are somehow not.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
No game is ever mean to be played forever in fact I personally hate that....There is a big satisfaction finishing the game that has proper ending.
u7evyZA.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom