• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paper Mario: Sticker Star |OT| Delicious Flat Characters

I was going to cancel my preorder of this due to too many backlogged games and the Wii U spending festival, and now it shipped from NewEgg. Oh well, it'll be a good game to have :)

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
So, outside of some bullshit puzzles or what not that ill probably just ask here or gamefaqs, any other big nagging issues with this game?

The worlds aren't anywhere as interesting as those in games like The Thousand-Year Door, for example. They're just boring.

I didn't really enjoy the lack of experience points and levels, but that's more of a personal issue.

Overall story is lacking apparently.

The story's alright. Nothing wrong with it.

Drago

I was going to cancel my preorder of this due to too many backlogged games and the Wii U spending festival, and now it shipped from NewEgg. Oh well, it'll be a good game to have :)
Yeah, my holiday gaming schedule will probably be:
This game and Layton for 3DS
WiiU everything
Playing through my PS3 backlog

Should be fun. :)

Mory Dunz

TTYD and PM are basically mission based as well; the backtracking is almost nonexistent outside of a couple of areas here and there closed off for lack of abilities and even then most of them are in the hub town.

Yeah, the backtracking in those games is for getting items, revisiting previously blocked off places, talking to people with new information, leading to side quests.

Sounds like a comprehensive list to me. How much backtracking do you exactly feel is needed?

Nekofrog

Banned
I think I'll pass and play TTYD for the first time instead (been sitting on my shelf ever since I bought a Wii).

God, how I envy you. I wish I could play TTYD for the first time again.

Each subsequent playthrough has been fantastic, but the first was just MAGICAL.

Fuck Nintendo for ruining this series.

I'll admit that I haven't played any other paper mario games except for Super Paper Mario, but I'm constantly shocked by how many people shit on it.

To me, it was one of the absolute highlights of the wii. I enjoyed it more than just about anything else I played, one of those games that just kept me smiling. It's like the Super Mario Sunshine of the wii, an entry with unnecessarily harsh feedback due to its deviation from the script.

You haven't played TTYD, so I can forgive you. But make sure you play it because then you'll see how bad SPM really is.

The more reviews I read good or bad the more concerned I grow for this game. Super Paper Mario was disappointing (great story writing, bland gameplay) and this one continues to use the stage mission structure of SPM which seems like a step further in the wrong direction.

I'll admit that I haven't played any other paper mario games except for Super Paper Mario, but I'm constantly shocked by how many people shit on it.

To me, it was one of the absolute highlights of the wii. I enjoyed it more than just about anything else I played, one of those games that just kept me smiling. It's like the Super Mario Sunshine of the wii, an entry with unnecessarily harsh feedback due to its deviation from the script.

TreIII

I found TTYD to be laughably easy, but maybe that's just me. I don't think I even thought about any level of strategy in the game at all.

Same here.

As much as I love TTYD, playing it again recently reminded me of one particular qualm I had with it: pacing. There were a number of segments in the game that just seemed to drag on for the sake of fluff. And then SPM just made that fault worse.

Ah well. Hopefully going to start downloading Sticker Star in a few minutes, so I'll see how this goes. The whole "no leveling and stickers to battle" thing kind of reminds me of Megaman Battle Network in a lot of ways. Wouldn't mind at all if that's what I stand to get in the end-product.

I played The Thousand-Year Door and still loved Super Paper Mario. After hearing mixed reviews, I'm a bit worried about Sticker Star.

Like many here, I was planning to cancel my pre-order, but the game just shipped this morning. I might not have time to play it this week, and I don't like the idea of having an unfinished game by the time Wii U releases, but I suppose I'll save Sticker Star for later.

Koroviev

The box looks pretty snazzy, too. I also don't think I'd buy an RPG digitally unless it were one I'd play over and over.

Yeah, I'm a packaged product guy all the way when it comes to nintendo. But if Nintendo is going to be offering ALL their games DD then i might just switch.

Oh no, I'm very probably going digital on this. I'm on the eShop page right now. What is self control?

Tuck

I really wanted something new besides Code of Princess for the XL I upgraded to recently, but I think I'll pass and play TTYD for the first time instead (been sitting on my shelf ever since I bought a Wii). .

TTYD was the greatest RPG I've ever played. Beautiful art design. Incredibly creative level design. Funny. Fun. Long.

I never beat it. But I think I'll go back and play through it one day. That first time (Got 75% of the way through) was, as someone else said earlier in the thread, magical.

I hope we get a real sequel one day. I'm sure Sticker Star will be fun, but it does look heavily scaled down.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I dunno, I've been playing a lot of level-heavy RPGs lately (Xenoblade, the old Final Fantasies, Pokemon), so it'll be nice to have one I can take more leisurely without fretting over griding so I'll be prepared for bosses.

Watch Da Birdie

So, I was going to erase Layton...but it says that save data will be gone too?

Fuck.

Koroviev

I'm in the same boat. Only 1054 blocks and all my games have save files. Guess I'm waiting till tomorrow and the store ;-(

So, is there any way to back up the information to a PC or a larger card? I'm not running short on space just yet, but it sounds like a future problem.

Watch Da Birdie

So, I can never delete Layton unless I want to start over.

And it's 6000-fucking blocks. :/

Guess I'll just go buy Paper Mario. No reason to fuck up my 3DS with all these games I can never delete unless I want to screw up save files.

Dineren

Banned
Wow, I was considering buying the digital version, but losing the save if you delete the game seems insane. Surely it will let you copy the save manually to a PC. If not I guess the only full downloadable game I'll ever buy is AC.

Aeana

Considering that when you switch SD cards, it's as easy as copying the files to your computer and then to the new SD card, I would imagine that you could store the game on your computer.

Koroviev

Considering that when you switch SD cards, it's as easy as copying the files to your computer and then to the new SD card, I would imagine that you could store the game on your computer.

Okay, then it's a non-issue. That's a relief :)

32gb cards only $30 :)

newegg is still pending preorder.

I'm not gonna get that soon eh?

$40 on eshop?

$40 on eShop ;)

I think your compulsiveness rivals mine :p

Watch Da Birdie

Yeah, but I don't have an extra SD card tonight. :p

And really, I like having the actual game. Professor Layton was an impulsive buy for me I didn't think through (even more so since it's a game I'd like to keep saved since I'll play it over time I imagine)

Okay, then it's a non-issue. That's a relief :)

hold it. it's not that simple.

the folders and what not are all encrypted, which makes copying individual saves quite hard without some 3rd party tools, which i'm not sure exists atm, or do they?

Aeana

Yeah, but I don't have an extra SD card tonight. :p

And really, I like having the actual game. Professor Layton was an impulsive buy for me I didn't think through (even more so since it's a game I'd like to keep saved since I'll play it over time I imagine)
Copying it to your computer and leaving it there doesn't require an extra SD card.

hold it. it's not that simple.

the folders and what not are all encrypted, which makes copying individual saves quite hard without some 3rd party tools, which i'm not sure exists atm, or do they?

Does it really matter if you just copy the whole folder? I wasn't talking about just getting the save.

Copying it to your computer and leaving it there doesn't require an extra SD card.

Does it really matter if you just copy the whole folder? I wasn't talking about just getting the save.
well yeah, but say:

- I need room, i copy my stuff to pc.

- I dl games and play other games etc.

- i want to play paper mario again.

What happens when one merges the old and new folders?

Watch Da Birdie

Yeah, I think I'll just be patient and buy Paper Mario Monday when I'm off work. :p

So, I've reads about the negatives, but what are some good things about this game? And would it be fun for someone who isn't particularly a fan of Mario, but likes RPG's !

Koroviev

So, I've reads about the negatives, but what are some good things about this game? And would it be fun for someone who isn't particularly a fan of Mario, but likes RPG's !

I think Jeremy Parish did a nice write-up. He discusses the strategic aspects at length, which matter the most to me. And, you know, the game is GC-era adorable.

Yes Boss!

So, is there any way to back up the information to a PC or a larger card? I'm not running short on space just yet, but it sounds like a future problem.

Oh yeah, simple enough. SD cards are cheap, cheap. I just moved so don't have a computer for a month.

Koroviev

Just fired it up for the first time. Aside from the aliasing, the game looks fantastic. The 3D effect is absolutely perfect for this. Intelligent Systems is pretty much single-handedly justifying the 3DS's gimmick.

Edit: Turning off the 3D removes most of the aliasing. Tough decision right there.

Just fired it up for the first time. Aside from the aliasing, the game looks fantastic. The 3D effect is absolutely perfect for this. Intelligent Systems is pretty much single-handedly justifying the 3DS's gimmick.

I like to think that they decided to make a Paper Mario when they first got their hands on the 3DS. It makes to much sense.

DarkWish

Downloaded! Took roughly 25 minutes (compared to New Super Mario Bros. 2 taking 10 minutes). Looks great in 3D! I assume I'll get an email with the Donkey Kong code at some point, all you need to have done is be registered on Club Nintendo right?

Top Bottom