• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paper Mario: Sticker Star |OT| Delicious Flat Characters

Nekofrog

Banned
Especially digitally. Seriously dude, seems like there was enough reason for you to be wary. At least if you bought the cart you could've maybe gotten a discount and then traded it in after. Now all you're left with is bitterness and regret.

I simply don't buy retail games anymore, and I don't "resell" them either. Even with all the heaps of bad news, it's still a Paper Mario game and I wanted to give it a chance. Why hate on something without trying it first?

I simply don't buy retail games anymore, and I don't "resell" them either. Even with all the heaps of bad news, it's still a Paper Mario game and I wanted to give it a chance. Why hate on something without trying it first?
maybe you hating 2/3 games of the series and the polarizing reviews might make you hold off a bit?

Sure you got a backlog, maybe wait for a few impressions from gaffers?

But do what ya must lol.

Mory Dunz

End of game junk:
Was the final scene of the game really Mario, Peach, and Bowser just laughing around? Lol, seems so chill.

BowieZ

Banned
Why do ppl even consider putting end game spoilers even within the aura of this thread? Even spoiler tagged? (At this early stage.) Can people not wait maybe a few days to talk bout it?

I just saw images thx to the stills of the YouTube vid links... not hugely upsetting to me but it seems a little silly.

zychi

Banned
anyone with a retail cart... does it require an update for the 3ds? im contempating getting this tomorrow morning but can wait til a price drop if theres a mandatory update

So stupid that I had to see an image of the final battle due to that youtube video post. Come on, guys.

Why do ppl even consider putting end game spoilers even within the aura of this thread? Even spoiler tagged? (At this early stage.) Can people not wait maybe a few days to talk bout it?

I just saw images thx to the stills of the YouTube vid links... not hugely upsetting to me but it seems a little silly.

Glad I'm not on mobile right now :(

I had no idea they appeared as thumbnails on mobile. I changed the links so they shouldn't now

What video?

tornjaw

Thoughts on the game only 15 minutes in:

fuck this stupid fucking toad fetch shit, holy crap. this is what paper mario is now? fuck.

disppointment.jpg

antispin

No, but only things that can be purchased cannot be downloaded. Demos and stuff are downloadable as per usual. Tested this with both Style Savvy and Paper Mario.

I faced the same issue. This fixed it for me: change your region under settings/profile, start eshop, accept t&c, let eshop start, exit eshop, go back to settings to change your region back to your original one, go back to the eshop, accept t&c. Purchase should work now. Hope this helps.

FYI, I went US > Canada > US. When you move to Canada, it will warn you that the store credits (if any) will be set to zero, but don't worry about it as moving back to the US will add your original credits. Basically, new regions come with their own credits.

UberTag

I feel like I'm going to enjoy this spin on Paper Mario more than the rest of GAF.
Got 36 battle item stickers and 4 thing item stickers in the museum thus far.
Most of the puzzles have been very intuitive.

king zell

took me 22 hours to beat, the last couple of levels are alot easier than the first 3 for some reason!

overall liked the game but not the best Paper Mario game by far.

Tim-E

Gaaaah, I really want this, but I just bought Layton and I'm paying off my Wii U this week. I think I'm gonna have to wait :(

Dr.Hadji

I should preface by saying i think the first paper mario is a shitty game, SPM is a shitty game, and so far this is a shitty game. TTYD is probably one of the best games of all time due to the writing and characterization, none of the other games come anywhere even close to the depth of TTYD.

at this point, the only thing that can probably satisfy me in this series is TTYD2 with no goddamn pointless changes to the system.

Depth depth depth. Everyone keeps saying it but never bother to explain what they are referring to.

CrisKre

Im actually LOVING this game! I think its up there with the gamecube version. The changes are really well thought out and its as charming as ever.

Question to those who played it:
im kinda stuck in the desert, I got a hint outside of the oasis about flowing sand between 2 stripped cacti and I find nothing where the toad run off to. Where is the treasure in 2-1?

king zell

Im actually LOVING this game! I think its up there with the gamecube version. The changes are really well thought out and its as charming as ever.

Question to those who played it:
im kinda stuck in the desert, I got a hint outside of the oasis about flowing sand between 2 stripped cacti and I find nothing where the toad run off to. Where is the treasure in 2-1?

in the meddle of the level where you can find an item block outside the screen (far down the screen) , jump there and you well find 2 stripped cacti between them some flowing sand, let Mario sink there.

UberTag

I'm sort of happy that the game is short (and I call BS on the difficulty complaints given the fact that people are breezing through it so quick).
Will make it easy to clear this off the docket before Persona 4 Golden arrives next Tuesday.

zroid

Banned

glad to hear it. It is nice to see some positivity for a change :p

Not much longer now...

Damn, the GameStop I bought this from lost power and they aren't opening any time soon. I really don't want to download games that are available at retail for the same price, but it is times like these that certainly make me rethink my stance.

Damn, wish I could afford this right now. But Wii U has taken over my gaming budget. Not mention holiday gift buying is here.

Maybe I can rent a copy from Gamefly.

taoofjord

A couple hours in or so, i'st very simple so far but quite enjoyable and it looks fantastic. Very charming too, of course. I understand the complaints but I don't think it's enough to call this a bad, or even average game. We'll see how things play out but I think it's definitely worth your time if you know what you're getting into.

Hitting enemies has a real weighty feel to it that the previous PM games didn't. I like it. At 1-3 right now and thoroughly enjoying myself. The game looks and sounds great and battles are fun as hell.

Kamek's
battle music is SO GOOD.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Played the game up to the first save point. As always I love how they play with the paper theme. I had a lot of fun looking for the toads in the beginning.

Downloaded early this morning and have put maybe an hour into it. Pretty good so far, although I do worry about how engaging it will remain over the course of the 20ish hours or so the way the sticker system is set up.

Haven't had to buy any stickers so far since the environment has been ripe with them (rather, my book's been full and have had to leave them behind).

The writing is a bit disappointing so far, but I'm still really early in.

how is the battle system useless? do you not earn coins for winning? coins that let you buy stickers, which let you win more battles...? am i missing something? i havent played yet, but you guys are making it sound like you can run from event to event without battling and still effectively win. is it because the environment gives you enough stickers?

Vibed

how is the battle system useless? do you not earn coins for winning? coins that let you buy stickers, which let you win more battles...? am i missing something? i havent played yet, but you guys are making it sound like you can run from event to event without battling and still effectively win. is it because the environment gives you enough stickers?

I haven't played it but I imagine you just said the problem yourself. It's a cycle with little reward. You don't earn experience from battles, so I guess the question is, why battle to earn coins for stickers when you already have stickers?

Portugeezer

I haven't played it but I imagine you just said the problem yourself. It's a cycle with little reward. You don't earn experience from battles, so I guess the question is, why battle to earn coins for stickers when you already have stickers?
Before you would battle for XP, which ultimately meant gaining levels and better attacks.

Now you get coins which can be used to get better attacks.

There doesn't really seem to be a huge difference, but I can see why some people wouldn't like the new method of "levelling".

Before you would battle for XP, which ultimately meant gaining levels and better attacks.

Now you get coins which can be used to get better attacks.

There doesn't really seem to be a huge difference, but I can see why some people wouldn't like the new method of "levelling".

At least in the beginning of the game, the store only offers what you can find in the field, so it's not so much buying to advance, but buying to restock. And if you avoid battles, you don't need to restock, hence why it feels a bit pointless.

Hopefully that changes soon though, and then it would be more of the system you're describing.

I'm sort of happy that the game is short (and I call BS on the difficulty complaints given the fact that people are breezing through it so quick).
Will make it easy to clear this off the docket before Persona 4 Golden arrives next Tuesday.

People breezed through Dark Souls.

Top Bottom