• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paper Mario: Sticker Star |OT| Delicious Flat Characters

Madao

i only noticed the OP art was custom made because mario looked a bit different.

that's a pretty good job.

ryushe

Soooooooo.... Nintendo/IntSys makes a game that isn't hand holdey and everyone's calling foul?

Ooooooh, internet

udivision

But Toasty Frog said it was one of the best RPG battles systems ever. Don't know how you can get much more simple than a Paper Mario battle system anyway.

TTYD was a step in the right direction, this looks like 2 steps back landing safely behind the original PM.
iswqbUt2aRKnv.gif

I will enjoy my haterade, thank you very much.

man, disappointed as someone who likes RPG's and dislikes puzzle games.

I was really looking forward to this on 3DS since I would imagine the 3D effect works well with this concept. Still would like to pick up at some point for this reason, but not at $40.

n64coder

Don't get me wrong, it ultimately makes sense once you use it and it works. But when you don't have it and you didn't even know it existed, it's hard to fill in that blank mentally, and even harder to convince yourself to go hunting through every single level you've already completed in search of some unnamed, undescribed sticker that you hope actually exists.

I remember getting stuck in PM TTYD where I had to do some backtracking to find some button or some piece of paper. Ditto for PM 64. I just would go back and make sure I revisited every single character in case I forgot to chat with someone. It's easy to miss something when you are not thorough in trying everything.

So I don't consider this to be a flaw.

eternalb

I remember getting stuck in PM TTYD where I had to do some backtracking to find some button or some piece of paper. Ditto for PM 64. I just would go back and make sure I revisited every single character in case I forgot to chat with someone. It's easy to miss something when you are not thorough in trying everything.

So I don't consider this to be a flaw.

But the GameXplain review explicitly mentioned loving the first two Paper Marios, so it seems something changed here.

Tookay

But...Paper Mario was barely an RPG to begin with.

I think the change up will be awesome.

Also, I find it funny that people gripe about handholding in games, but are now blasting a game without any sort of handholding. :p

I hate this trend on the internet to generalize everybody except yourself into being hypocrites all the time. People are more consistent than you think.

There's a right kind of "no handholding" and a wrong kind. In the right kind, there's enough conveyance by the game through its mechanics and puzzle structure that you always have the tools available, even if it doesn't tell you explicitly. In the wrong kind, you have no fucking clue, you don't know where to look for the solution within the game, and the puzzle logic doesn't make any sense.

My sister said my nephew is interested in this game for Christmas. He's only 6 (and a half), so I was a little worried about giving him an "RPG," given that he's in first grade and is reading at that level (or maybe a bit above - he's a pretty smart kid).

Based on what you've heard (or played, in some cases), would this game be "beatable" by a reasonably smart, determined 6 (and a half!) year old? Is there a lot of reading required to understand the story? Will he get stuck trying to figure out what to do next, or is that usually pretty straightforward in PM games (and this one, if you know)? Will he be able to understand the combat mechanics and any other gameplay elements that require some thought/planning/strategy?

The other game he asked for is some Pac-Man Party game, which is apparently garbage, but I guess a few of his friends play multiplayer. I'd much rather get him Paper Mario as his "first RPG" and game with a little depth (I know maybe not enough for us gamers, but for a 6 year old).

Dr.Hadji

TTYD was a step in the right direction, this looks like 2 steps back landing safely behind the original PM.

And what direction is that? Everyone is being so vague.

So, other than the turn based battles, what else makes this an RPG?

You know, a commitment to a world with towns and peoples to talk to and interact with. That is certainly more important to an RPG than numbered stats right?

I hate this trend on the internet to generalize everybody except yourself into being hypocrites all the time. People are more consistent than you think.

There's a right kind of "no handholding" and a wrong kind. In the right kind, there's enough conveyance by the game through its mechanics and puzzle structure that you always have the tools available, even if it doesn't tell you explicitly. In the wrong kind, you have no fucking clue, you don't know where to look for the solution within the game, and the puzzle logic doesn't make any sense.

I didn't generalize all people...just some.

Also...we all have some hypocritical tendencies, myself included. I wouldn't ever say otherwise. I just remember the time period where there was no handholding at all.

Artemisia

Banned
don't give a FUCK about the negative reception

RIP I ordered it months ago and don't feel like canceling/want to try it

I'm going to take a chance and keep my preorder. Getting it for $29.99 and no tax/shipping, and I figure this thread and the rest of the Internet will be there for the more frustrating bits.

Carlisle

I'm going to take a chance and keep my preorder. Getting it for $29.99 and no tax/shipping, and I figure this thread and the rest of the Internet will be there for the more frustrating bits.

I've got my preorder locked in at that price too, and I think I'll keep it. I was going back and forth before because I have enough of a backlog and then the mediocre reviews came in... but I know I'll eventually get it, and as a 1st party Nintendo game it won't get any cheaper for a long time. Hell, Starfox 64 3D is still $33 new on Amazon.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Reading the reviews, here's what I find funny, as an example:

Venture beat: the sticker gimmick sucks in every way possible, why do I have limited sticker inventory, why do I have to think too hard about whether to use a valuable sticker in battle or save it, etc etc.

1UP: stickers are brilliant, best battle system ever, loved the strategy and trade-offs the design encourages, etc etc.

The joke here is that of the reviews listed so far, it's overwhelming positive. GameXplain is unhappy, but the problem there seems to be: I want TYD 2, and will settle for nothing less.

Which, while a valid want, can be countered with: it's nice to want things, how about seeing whether the game you got is enjoyable?

When it comes to game reviews and opinions, I have settled into this conclusion. Stop taking reviews as objective critiques of whether a game is really "good" or "bad", unless its talking about incredibly objective things. Such as framerate, laughably bad textures, incredibly poor save management, terrible physics, or whatever. Frankly, most people who review games, even the better reviewers, don't separate subjective from objective concepts. Mostly it boils down to "this game made me happy" or "this game made me unhappy" and they proceed to rationalize what that was so. But in too many cases, their rationalizations end up being incredibly subjective, even if they feel they're being scientific.

In this thread, we had one poster so far fume that Intelligent Systems refuses to give us the Paper Mario we deserve.

Deserve - is that really valid to state so flatly? Again, it's nice to want things, but who is "we"? I loved TYD. I'm not pissed off that IntSys hasn't made TYD 2. I'm also keeping in mind that this particular game was designed as a portable Paper Mario. I'm not going to presume in advance that it's "wrong" because it's not just like a very long RPG created for a game console a decade ago.

Given that most of the reviews are very positive, I'll wait and see; not canceling the pre-order with Newegg I placed using one of their discount deals.

My sister said my nephew is interested in this game for Christmas. He's only 6 (and a half), so I was a little worried about giving him an "RPG," given that he's in first grade and is reading at that level (or maybe a bit above - he's a pretty smart kid).

Based on what you've heard (or played, in some cases), would this game be "beatable" by a reasonably smart, determined 6 (and a half!) year old? Is there a lot of reading required to understand the story? Will he get stuck trying to figure out what to do next, or is that usually pretty straightforward in PM games (and this one, if you know)? Will he be able to understand the combat mechanics and any other gameplay elements that require some thought/planning/strategy?

Given that some of the reviewers are even having issues with finding the specific item to solve a certain puzzle to advance through the game, I'm not sure how appropriate the game would be. The worst that could honestly happen is your nephew just giving up after walking around aimlessly for an hour or two and then just letting the game collect dust somewhere.
I've seen kids older than 6-7 attempt to play through the later Pokemon games and having a really tough time with it, to the point where it's essentially the parents playing the game for the child and letting the kid walk around the game for a bit until the next event needs to be triggered. The box on all Pokemon games say 'require basic reading level to full enjoy' or whatever, so take that how you will.

Given that some of the reviewers are even having issues with finding the specific item to solve a certain puzzle to advance through the game, I'm not sure how appropriate the game would be. The worst that could honestly happen is your nephew just giving up after walking around aimlessly for an hour or two and then just letting the game collect dust somewhere.
I've seen kids older than 6-7 attempt to play through the later Pokemon games and having a really tough time with it, to the point where it's essentially the parents playing the game for the child and letting the kid walk around the game for a bit until the next event needs to be triggered. The box on all Pokemon games say 'require basic reading level to full enjoy' or whatever, so take that how you will.

Cool - thanks. I dunno, might look for something else. She says no to Skylanders (probably smart), so should be something else I can find...

MrDaravon

If anyone was wondering or looking for it, there apparently is going to be a strategy guide for the game (Prima). Seems particularly relevant based on some of the reviewer comments. I'd looked several times and not seen any mention of it's existence, but when I was picking up Halo 4 at Gamestop on their guide rack they had a picture of it on their display. I looked into it more at that point, and could only find a listing for it on Barnes and Noble.com and that was it. Prima's site lists it, but only as an eguide. But now as of today it shows up on Gamestop.com (with no picture but an 11/11 release date), but still doesn't show up on Amazon. And I'd been checking Amazon and Gamestop almost every day for a while now, it only popped on Gamestop today.

So no idea what's going on with it, or if it's actually going to be really hard to find or something, but it's apparently going to be out there for those interested. I still buy guides for RPGs that I plan on keeping, so I'll pick it up if they have it, especially with a lot of the impressions regarding things in the game being vague.

PokéKong

Just realized this is like the Partners In Time of Paper Mario, with all its abilities reduced into expendable items. What bozo keeps pushing that idea?

Mory Dunz

PokéKong;44148262 said:
Just realized this is like the Partners In Time of Paper Mario, with all its abilities reduced into expendable items. What bozo keeps pushing that idea?

True, but Partners In Time still retained some of the rpg elements though.

Personally, I'm getting a Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories vibe. Especially because it's a handheld. But I already posted all about that before so...

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I'm thinking of canceling too :(

Sort of silly. The RPG elements of the original games were not exactly the deep, engaging part that would keep you playing. There looks to be a massive world to explore in this game, and the same hilarious writing as always. I have no idea why people would cancel their orders because they're trying something different.

Drago

I hope NewEgg ships this tomorrow. I usually get things the day after they ship from UPS, so I would hopefully be able to get this on Saturday. :)

The badge mechanic is what made the first two games really great for their systems, as well as timed commands, with it being expanded on in TTYD. Stat wise didn't offer too much changability outside of Balanced and FP/BP focused over HP.

Mileena

Banned
Sort of silly. The RPG elements of the original games were not exactly the deep, engaging part that would keep you playing. There looks to be a massive world to explore in this game, and the same hilarious writing as always. I have no idea why people would cancel their orders because they're trying something different.

I just want RPGs for my damn 3DS. There's nothing.

/salty

zroid

Banned
It's weird they dumped badges, they could actually have worked fine in conjunction with the sticker system

I just want RPGs for my damn 3DS. There's nothing.

/salty

I know ;-;

Squeenix is really letting me down right now, there's so much they could localize. On a related note, did you try Denpa Men? It's actually not that bad.

Don't cancel your preorders, especially if you got it for $29.99! The stickers make up for the lack of RPG elements imo. You're constantly getting different power level stickers to use on tougher or weaker enemies. I love all the other Paper Mario games and this one is no exception (so far 3 hours played). Although I'm not finding the writing quite as humorous as previous games, it's still very entertaining.

Koroviev

Would anyone recommend this game to someone without much prior experience with the Paper Mario series? I'm not a big Mario fan, but this game looks rather endearing.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Would anyone recommend this game to someone without much prior experience with the Paper Mario series? I'm not a big Mario fan, but this game looks rather endearing.

Reviews suggest that its good, its just somewhat of a departure from the series' roots. So...probably yes, since you won't know what its missing

zashga

Looks really good. I always enjoy Intelligent Systems' minimal take on RPG mechanics, so the changes don't frighten me. My only apprehension is that I won't get to play it for another week. :'(

Top Bottom