• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paper Mario: Sticker Star |OT| Delicious Flat Characters

Koroviev

Downloaded! Took roughly 25 minutes (compared to New Super Mario Bros. 2 taking 10 minutes). Looks great in 3D! I assume I'll get an email with the Donkey Kong code at some point, all you need to have done is be registered on Club Nintendo right?

Well, to be fair, NSMB 2 is only about half the size, iirc :p

Edit: The game is so impressively smooth without the 3D. What do :(

Aeana

Well that was the final bit of motivation I needed to disable "embed YouTube videos" in the mobile GAF settings. Videos linked above had (what I personally deem to be) spoilery stills. Oh well.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
No, but only things that can be purchased cannot be downloaded. Demos and stuff are downloadable as per usual. Tested this with both Style Savvy and Paper Mario.

Try turning the system off and on again. Sometimes eshop gets a bit wonky.

Wow, we already got videos of the ending and final boss before the game's release? Bold move there. It's available on eShop right now though? *checks* Dang, it is. Not even 11/11 here yet. I know where I'll be buying upcoming 3DS games in the future. FYI, I could probably do a Google search and figure this out, but who wants to prove their knowledge and let me know how save data works on digital downloads of games like Paper Mario? Saved on the SD card or local memory? And can you transfer that save data between systems with different accounts? Yea I should know this, but haven't gotten around to messing with this stuff yet.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Hell yeah.

Other Bosses...

Judging by the float he appears on, the other five Big Bosses are the Goomba King we've seen, the King Pokey, the King Blooper, and...a snowman. Really boring lineup.

eternalb

FYI, I could probably do a Google search and figure this out, but who wants to prove their knowledge and let me know how save data works on digital downloads of games like Paper Mario? Saved on the SD card or local memory? And can you transfer that save data between systems with different accounts? Yea I should know this, but haven't gotten around to messing with this stuff yet.

Pretty sure eShop game saves are part of the game file itself, meaning if you delete it, you delete your game. And thus you can't transfer a save file to another 3DS without doing a complete system transfer.

Watch Da Birdie

Pretty sure eShop game saves are part of the game file itself, meaning if you delete it, you delete your game. And thus you can't transfer a save file to another 3DS without doing a complete system transfer.

True.

I tried to delete Layton, and it flat out told me the save would be deleted as well.

Not sure if that's for the non-retail 3DS games offered by the VC, as with the Wii those save files were separate from the actual game.

Koroviev

True.

I tried to delete Layton, and it flat out told me the save would be deleted as well.

Not sure if that's for the non-retail 3DS games offered by the VC, as with the Wii those save files were separate from the actual game.

I'm not terribly surprised. Sony pulled the same shenanigans with the Vita.

Aeana

Nope. The save is stored as "part" of the game, but it is separable by simply putting the SD card into a computer and copying it out.

Drago

Other Bosses...

Judging by the float he appears on, the other five Big Bosses are the Goomba King we've seen, the King Pokey, the King Blooper, and...a snowman. Really boring lineup.
...that's it? Really? :(

I know the game will still be fun (hopefully), but it just seems so lacking in originality as far as characters, enemies and locations go, especially when compared to other games in the series.

eternalb

Nope. The save is stored as "part" of the game, but it is separable by simply putting the SD card into a computer and copying it out.

Ah, it's annoying the 3DS doesn't allow access to that within the UI. So can you then transfer it to another system, or is it locked to that one?

Watch Da Birdie

...that's it? Really? :(

I know the game will still be fun (hopefully), but it just seems so lacking in originality as far as characters, enemies and locations go, especially when compared to other games in the series.

Well, Birdo's in it. :)

Aeana

Ah, it's annoying the 3DS doesn't allow access to that within the UI. So can you then transfer it to another system, or is it locked to that one?
No, it's locked to the same system if you don't do a system transfer (the system transfer re-encrypts every file on the SD card to the new system's key). But for the purposes of clearing space on your SD card but continuing to use the same system, you should be able to just copy the stuff off the SD card and restore it later.

Rootbeer

Banned
I should stop pre-ordering Nintendo games on amazon...

Since it's a Sunday release I won't get it until Tuesday (if i'm lucky -- the shipping page actually says Thursday currently, but I'm hoping it gets here sooner; I'm a prime member so i'm *supposed* to get 2 day shipping but it doesn't always work out that way)

Why does Nintendo insist on Sunday releases when so many other games usually release on Tuesday?

Fou-Lu

My game shipped on Friday.... but I'd preordered it so long ago that I forgot to change the shipping address to my new address... My only hope is that my old land lady won't be a bitch.

Koroviev

WHAT THE FUCK AM I WAITING FOR THEN?

*Basks in the glow of being able to download a brand-new big-ass Nintendo game RIGHT NOW*

Yep, it's pretty awesome. I'd buy more Vita games digitally if I wasn't stuck waiting for Grace Chen O'Clock.

Nekofrog

Banned
Thoughts on the game only 15 minutes in:

fuck this stupid fucking toad fetch shit, holy crap. this is what paper mario is now? fuck.

Nekofrog

Banned
I should preface by saying i think the first paper mario is a shitty game, SPM is a shitty game, and so far this is a shitty game. TTYD is probably one of the best games of all time due to the writing and characterization, none of the other games come anywhere even close to the depth of TTYD.

at this point, the only thing that can probably satisfy me in this series is TTYD2 with no goddamn pointless changes to the system.

I should preface by saying i think the first paper mario is a shitty game, SPM is a shitty game, and so far this is a shitty game. TTYD is probably one of the best games of all time due to the writing and characterization, none of the other games come anywhere even close to the depth of TTYD.

at this point, the only thing that can probably satisfy me in this series is TTYD2 with no goddamn pointless changes to the system.

lol what convince you to buy this day 1 then?

You might as well state your reasons for Super Paper Mario and Paper Mario then, since you'll get questioned for it.

zroid

Banned
lol what convince you to buy this day 1 then?

Especially digitally. Seriously dude, seems like there was enough reason for you to be wary. At least if you bought the cart you could've maybe gotten a discount and then traded it in after. Now all you're left with is bitterness and regret.

Eusis

Well that was the final bit of motivation I needed to disable "embed YouTube videos" in the mobile GAF settings. Videos linked above had (what I personally deem to be) spoilery stills. Oh well.
Gotta make a note of that for later, though I definitely think it's in poor taste to link to that stuff literally an hour after release.

Going to swing by Fry's to grab it. If for some reason they don't have it maybe I'll actually try digitally or something, but I'd rather do that with Art Academy and Mario Kart 7. Jumped to a 32 GB card though so space isn't really an issue.

Top Bottom