• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paper Mario: Sticker Star |OT| Delicious Flat Characters

I would really like to share my thoughts on this, but I want to be free to discuss everything I saw. The review restrictions won't allow that, so my review won't be up until likely Sunday (maybe Monday). I will say that it seemed to me like there were two puzzles early on that were just too obtuse compared to everything else, and it's easy to see why each might be a breaking point.

zroid

Banned
I would really like to share my thoughts on this, but I want to be free to discuss everything I saw. The review restrictions won't allow that, so my review won't be up until likely Sunday (maybe Monday). I will say that it seemed to me like there were two puzzles early on that were just too obtuse compared to everything else, and it's easy to see why each might be a breaking point.

Interesting. But I guess I'll likely find out for myself tomorrow.

Fabrik

Banned
The only thing I found weird in this iteration is that it's kind of a waste of time to fight since there's not real incentive to do so.

eternalb

The joke here is that of the reviews listed so far, it's overwhelming positive. GameXplain is unhappy, but the problem there seems to be: I want TYD 2, and will settle for nothing less.

Which, while a valid want, can be countered with: it's nice to want things, how about seeing whether the game you got is enjoyable?

Did you watch the review all the way through? It talked about what worked and what didn't

hongcha

The reviews were very helpful, and rather sobering. The game sounds OK, but too many things about it bug me, particularly how the fights feel empty and offer no real reward. I just cancelled my preorder. I have a large backlog of great games yet to be played. Maybe I'll take a chance on this in the future if/when the price drops significantly.

Too bad, as I was really looking forward to this one!

Koroviev

Is this game adorable a la Pushmo? That's really all that matters. I might just preorder from Fry's since I'm swamped with work anyway.

Any word on difficulty increasing as the game progresses?

The one thing that was great about Paper Mario and TTYD was that on your first playthrough, when you didn't know what to doing (in other words, that you should max out Badge Points), I always found boss encounters actually proved to be a challenge.

barbapapa

I borrowed Super Paper Mario from a friend, finished it, and felt it was too flawed for me to add it to my own collection.
I hope this one is better... But it doesn't sound to be.

Then again I reaaaaally feel like playing some Paper Mario on my 3DS. Though I recently got a PS3 with a huge backlog of games, so it's not like I don't have anything else to play until its price drops, or I can pick up a second hand copy.

The one thing that was great about Paper Mario and TTYD was that on your first playthrough, when you didn't know what to doing (in other words, that you should max out Badge Points), I always found boss encounters actually proved to be a challenge.

You mean balance FP and BP since they're useless without the other to back it up (that and maxing badges isn't something I'd recommend the first time around.)

Koroviev

Preordered with Fry's, but the status of the order is "back ordered." Is that typical for their preorders, or should I cancel it?

Edit: Ended up cancelling it. Might be stupid and just get it from the eShop. Any problem with using the basic 2GB card? I have more than enough blocks.

RM8

Ugh, I hate Mexico. We get day one stuff like Halo and AssCreed, but local retailers don't even know a date for this. I just bought it from CDUniverse (along with a DS game that I really didn't need right now, but paying express shipping for just one game isn't worth it) so I may have it in the following 5 days :/

Busaiku

Doesn't seem like this'll be something I'll enjoy.
I'm too impatient.

But then again, I like Harvest Moon, so I dunno.

Really wish it was more than just Mario though.
That's the big thing.

RM8

Yes.

If I didn't dislike digital versions of retail games I'd be playing it on day one, and probably for cheaper.

Koroviev

Yes.

If I didn't dislike digital versions of retail games I'd be playing it on day one, and probably for cheaper.

Normally I don't, but this game looks like it would be make a lovely compliment to Pushmo~

I basically just want my 3DS to be a GameCube (._. )

theman5141

Neo Member
Any word on the difficulty? I tried Bowser's Inside Story, but found it to be too basic and kind of dull.

Kinda tangential, but you should stick with Bowser's Inside story as the game becomes considerably harder at about the 8-10 hour mark. Not Superstar Saga levels, mind, but far more difficult than Partners in Time.

Looking at the GameXplain Video, I'm starting to think SPM needs to stop taking as much shit as it's getting, since people keep complaining about its gameplay system, yet sticking true to the Paper Mario story, structure and character development.

This one seems to be an even bigger departure than SPM overall. My purchase shall not falter, but I can see this one ending pretty badly with the community unfortunately.

The more reviews I read good or bad the more concerned I grow for this game. Super Paper Mario was disappointing (great story writing, bland gameplay) and this one continues to use the stage mission structure of SPM which seems like a step further in the wrong direction.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
TTYD and PM are basically mission based as well; the backtracking is almost nonexistent outside of a couple of areas here and there closed off for lack of abilities and even then most of them are in the hub town.

Alex

For Paper Mario I want departures. For the traditional thang, I feel Mario & Luigi does it better.

In related news, my phone insisted I wanted to type Paper Moron there for a few times.

For Paper Mario I want departures. For the traditional thang, I feel Mario & Luigi does it better.

In related news, my phone insisted I wanted to type Paper Moron there for a few times.

I'd be more hyped for departures if I enjoyed SPM even a tiny bit but I didn't.

I'm not cancelling my preorder but so far the reviews and impressions have reinforced all of my fears.
I really don't get why the stage mechanic gets shit on so often. It's practically superficial in terms of its overall structure, and it still retains the tradition of the story/puzzles being isolated into a single chapter like the original Paper Mario games.

Sticker Star is actually different because its overall structure goes completely against everything in the Paper Mario series since it opts more for open world design instead of being more linear like everything else.
SPM's mechanics didn't work on any level. It really felt like the game needed another year of development time so the team could work out the 2D to 3D gameplay design and platforming physics. Being able to change the stage to 3D at any time once you get the power was an awful idea (it should have been relegated to specific events) and jumping just felt terrible, weightless and laggy. The game did have moments that I found enjoyable but they were too far in between and I've never stuggled to finish a game like I struggled through that one but I just kept hoping it would get better.

That's probably why I have such strong feelings about the game since generally when I'm not finding a game fun I just quit but I forced myself to finish that game because I enjoy IntSys games so much. At least I liked the art design, most people didn't even find that to be up to par.

The more reviews I read good or bad the more concerned I grow for this game. Super Paper Mario was disappointing (great story writing, bland gameplay) and this one continues to use the stage mission structure of SPM which seems like a step further in the wrong direction.

I really don't get why the stage mechanic gets shit on so often. It's practically superficial in terms of its overall structure, and it still retains the tradition of the story/puzzles being isolated into a single chapter like the original Paper Mario games.

Sticker Star is actually different because its overall structure goes completely against everything in the Paper Mario series since it opts more for open world design instead of being more linear like everything else.

The stage structure was not one of Super Paper Mario's problems.

All of the stores in my area threw away their point cards cause Nintendo's making a dual one for the WiiU. Now I have to buy a retail version, fuck.

Yes Boss!

Decisions,

Download it tonight or wait and get the packaged version tomorrow. Went digital on NSMB2. If I go digital on this I'll probably go digital on all first-party games from here on out. Don't like it but I gotta switch at some point.

Koroviev

Decisions,

Download it tonight or wait and get the packaged version tomorrow. Went digital on NSMB2. If I go digital on this I'll probably go digital on all first-party games from here on out. Don't like it but I gotta switch at some point.

I only go digital when it's significantly cheaper or caters to my impatience.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I was amazed how many grocery stores around here have 3DS and Wii cards when I last looked at their gigantic gift card endcaps.

branny

I've been worried about this game since E3, but that doesn't matter because, no matter how good or bad it ended up being, I honestly don't think it's for me. I panic with expendable items in any game I play. I'm also not too crazy about what I've seen of the combat (you can't even select your targets...?) or what I've heard of the arbitrary sticker obstacle puzzles, especially when they're obnoxiously adventure game-y (like how one review mentioned a lighter or matches wouldn't melt snow away because you needed to use a heater). That's really stupid if true; you can't defend that.

I really wanted something new besides Code of Princess for the XL I upgraded to recently, but I think I'll pass and play TTYD for the first time instead (been sitting on my shelf ever since I bought a Wii). Beyond that, my experience with Mario RPGs is basically limited to Super Mario RPG (completed), Superstar Saga (halfway), and Bowser's Inside Story (just around an hour). Kind of sad, I know.

I only go digital when it's significantly cheaper or caters to my impatience.
The box looks pretty snazzy, too. I also don't think I'd buy an RPG digitally unless it were one I'd play over and over.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion

I found TTYD to be laughably easy, but maybe that's just me. I don't think I even thought about any level of strategy in the game at all.

Top Bottom