• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paper Mario: Sticker Star |OT| Delicious Flat Characters

Luckily the aliasing isn't nearly as bad as in the trailers. Also, when in 2D mode, some AA beyond the built-in Supersampling is clearly being applied. Thank goodness.

So basically I'll never be playing this game in 3D.

UberTag

For those of you in rampant sticker collecting mode, if you paperize around certain objects in World 1 (i.e. circles of flowers, tree stumps, dead end passages, etc.), you'll essentially find what I would call "shiny upgrade spots".

Find the dotted outline squares, affix the sticker you wish to upgrade to shiny status and more often than not you'll get a question mark box with your newly shiny sticker inside.

I did this for about a half-dozen stickers just so I could make museum runs with them.

Koroviev

Luckily the aliasing isn't nearly as bad as in the trailers. Also, when in 2D mode, some AA beyond the built-in Supersampling is clearly being applied. Thank goodness.

So basically I'll never be playing this game in 3D.

Same, unfortunately. The aliasing gives me a headache, and the game just looks too good with the AA applied.

zroid

Banned
So far at least, the lack of experience gained has not been enough of a deterrent to stop me from engaging every enemy I see. This might change over time, of course.

NEO0MJ

So far at least, the lack of experience gained has not been enough of a deterrent to stop me from engaging every enemy I see. This might change over time, of course.

I actually like it, at least for now (at 1-4). Not having to grind and only fighting when you want/have to is rather nice.

Hows the battle system? That looked like the most worrying part to me.

Combat is solid, sticker the system seems to have potential and I have no problems playing only as Mario right now but 'm afraid it will get boring without party members.

zroid

Banned
hahaha two-fold goomba. That is awesome.

If they keep throwing these cool variations of existing enemies at us throughout the game, I don't think a decrease in different types of enemies will be a problem at all.

DarkWish

Question about getting to World 1-4:

I jumped into the waterfall and managed to get to World 1-5, but it basically skipped 1-4. So how do I get to 1-4? Is it something to do with the water pipe? I tried paperizing there, but nothing happened.

Really liking this game so far. I'm hoping there is a purpose to collecting stickers (
I've even been putting my special stickers like the fan and scissors in the museum
), we'll see if that pays off. The 3D is awesome with this game, the music is great, and it's just been fun so far. Only played two and a half hours so far, so we'll see if this keeps up.

kairiceres

Neo Member
Got the game today and I'm loving it. I haven't experienced the lack of direction yet, maybe I just like exploring a lot. The game does give little hints.

eternalb

Question about getting to World 1-4:

I jumped into the waterfall and managed to get to World 1-5, but it basically skipped 1-4. So how do I get to 1-4? Is it something to do with the water pipe? I tried paperizing there, but nothing happened.

Really liking this game so far. I'm hoping there is a purpose to collecting stickers (
I've even been putting my special stickers like the fan and scissors in the museum
), we'll see if that pays off. The 3D is awesome with this game, the music is great, and it's just been fun so far. Only played two and a half hours so far, so we'll see if this keeps up.

By Bowser's head, pull off the sticker and go inside. Turn the fauctet by jumping then drop into the hole where the water spout used to be.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Just cleared 1-1 and went back to town. All the stickers in town have regenerated. So I guess this means I'll be able to ignore the shop early on since I have an endless supply of basic stickers. Makes sense though, since they can't have the player running out of stickers.

The only thing I don't like about the game so far is how it expects you to use a thing sticker on the major bosses, but you can't possibly know which one you need until you actually fight the boss. I actually beat the first boss without the thing sticker you need, which is a fairly stiff challenge, and the game proceeded to admonish me for not fighting efficiently. I should be rewarded for not giving up! Fuck you, Kersti!

DarkWish

So I put the
fan sticker
in the museum, but now I'm stuck in World 1-4. Don't I need that sticker in 1-4? Am I just out of luck now?

UberTag

So I put the
fan sticker
in the museum, but now I'm stuck in World 1-4. Don't I need that sticker in 1-4? Am I just out of luck now?
You can reclaim "thing stickers" in one of two ways:
- 1)
You can return back to where you retrieved the thing in the first place. The fan regenerates in Level 1-2 after you complete it the first time.
- 2)
There's a Monty Mole who will SELL you Things you've found already to the left of where you Stickerize them by flinging them against that giant screen.

DarkWish

You can reclaim "thing stickers" in one of two ways:
- 1)
You can return back to where you retrieved the thing in the first place. The fan regenerates in Level 1-2 after you complete it the first time.
- 2)
There's a Monty Mole who will SELL you items you've found to the left of where you Stickerize them by flinging them against that giant screen.

Awesome, thanks! Don't think I've unlocked the second thing yet, so I'll just go back to that level.

EDIT: Nevermind, apparently that second thing is unlocked.

The only thing I don't like about the game so far is how it expects you to use a thing sticker on the major bosses, but you can't possibly know which one you need until you actually fight the boss. I actually beat the first boss without the thing sticker you need, which is a fairly stiff challenge, and the game proceeded to admonish me for not fighting efficiently. I should be rewarded for not giving up! Fuck you, Kersti!
What are the consecuences of this, aside from the scolding? I think it's a nice, extra challenge that I wouldn't mind doing in my playthrough.

Nice to hear some good impressions from the members here. My copy is arriving next weekend, though :( I hope I don't get myself spoiled on the ending or something.

eternalb

Is there skill in the slot machine thing? I just keep mashing for random results

It's entirely skill-based. The icons always follow the same patterns, and there's more of some icons, such as coins, than the others, so best to go for those if you just want 3 turns.

jmls1121

Banned
I am 5 hours in and really loving it so far. The game definitely has dat Nintendo polish and dat Nintendo "pull" to keep playing. A lot of the gripes I have heard so far really have no basis.

Infinite

It's entirely skill-based. The icons always follow the same patterns, and there's more of some icons, such as coins, than the others, so best to go for those if you just want 3 turns.

Ok thanks

Did anyone get far enough to like world 2-5? Where the fuck am I supposed to find the other floor mat pieces

Koroviev

What are the consecuences of this, aside from the scolding? I think it's a nice, extra challenge that I wouldn't mind doing in my playthrough.

Nice to hear some good impressions from the members here. My copy is arriving next weekend, though :( I hope I don't get myself spoiled on the ending or something.

Run far away from this place, lol.

Top Bottom