• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paper Mario: Sticker Star |OT| Delicious Flat Characters

massoluk

Banned
At least in the beginning of the game, the store only offers what you can find in the field, so it's not so much buying to advance, but buying to restock. And if you avoid battles, you don't need to restock, hence why it feels a bit pointless.

Hopefully that changes soon though, and then it would be more of the system you're describing.

Yeah, that how it is with me so far. Too much money, stickers album full... why bother with the puny enemies. Feel more like a nuisance than progression each non boss battle.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
*hates everyone*

mad.gif

Tyeforce

Can anyone confirm whether or not this game has multiple save files? I assume it would, but you never know... I'm picking it up in a bit and I need to know if I'll need to get two copies or just one.

Majine

Banned
I love the concept behind Paper Mario. 2D flat worlds in 3D, stickers, turn-by-turn combat... awesome. But why does it have to be Mario again? There isn't much here that resembles oldschool Mario except the cosmetics. Think I would've appreciated it alot more as its own universe and IP. There are more than enough koopashells and mushrooms in other Nintendo games. But yeah, It's not that important, just a thought...

I love the concept behind Paper Mario. 2D flat worlds in 3D, stickers, turn-by-turn combat... awesome. But why does it have to be Mario again? There isn't much here that resembles oldschool Mario except the cosmetics. Think I would've appreciated it alot more as its own universe. There are more than enough koopashells in other Nintendo games. But yeah, It's not that important, just a thought...

Mario sells. As simple as that.

Same reason why Epic Yarn had Kirby put in it.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I love the concept behind Paper Mario. 2D flat worlds in 3D, stickers, turn-by-turn combat... awesome. But why does it have to be Mario again? There isn't much here that resembles oldschool Mario except the cosmetics. Think I would've appreciated it alot more as its own universe and IP. There are more than enough koopashells in other Nintendo games. But yeah, It's not that important, just a thought...

well, Mario's cartoony aesthetics and visionary universe + humorous, absurd content are a great mix. Plus, the whole serie is so surreal you can basically add every crazy idea you want and it wouldn't look out of place. Not many IPs give you that artistic freedom. And let's not forget it's a highly popular character

Man. Newegg gets you them discounts but you sure as hell gotta wait a minute before it gets here. Right on time, finishing up Dragon Quest 9 now :p

TreIII

After playing it for myself? It seems my overall "MMBN vibe" was proven right. The Sticker System reminds me a LOT of "Battle Chips", and the overall battle system seems so much faster, with nice bonuses for getting no damage.

At this point, part of me is wishing that there were more advanced Sticker Setups to craft in order to make for "Program Advances". But otherwise, I'm liking what I'm playing so far.

djlr181

Can anyone confirm whether or not this game has multiple save files? I assume it would, but you never know... I'm picking it up in a bit and I need to know if I'll need to get two copies or just one.

I game has 3 save slots. I really wish I didn't know that.

Koroviev

Played the game up to the first save point. As always I love how they play with the paper theme. I had a lot of fun looking for the toads in the beginning.

Yep, same. I thought the first mission was a nice little introduction to how you can interact with and explore the world.

Do you have to play these games in order? Is there a story running through them or are they all separate?
I own the N64 game on my Wii but never played it, but really want a nice portable RPG to be going on with over Xmas.

massoluk

Banned
Do you have to play these games in order? Is there a story running through them or are they all separate?
I own the N64 game on my Wii but never played it, but really want a nice portable RPG to be going on with over Xmas.

There's no such thing as ongoing story line in Mario RPGs.

None of them are really connected per say, but TTYD does have a cameo from Paper Mario 64.

Also play Paper Mario 64.

After watching the GB QL of this game, I am quite interested. It seems like a solid game though not perfect. I'll probably pick it up at some point.

zroid

Banned
After watching the GB QL of this game, I am quite interested. It seems like a solid game though not perfect. I'll probably pick it up at some point.

ahhhh play first or watch the QL first

what do

Roughly how far do they get? I'll play up to that point and then watch it

Vicros

Will be getting this today, assuming my walmart actually put it out today and not sometime next week / whenever they feel like it.

After playing it for myself? It seems my overall "MMBN vibe" was proven right. The Sticker System reminds me a LOT of "Battle Chips", and the overall battle system seems so much faster, with nice bonuses for getting no damage.

At this point, part of me is wishing that there were more advanced Sticker Setups to craft in order to make for "Program Advances". But otherwise, I'm liking what I'm playing so far.

This post and Jeremy Parish's praise are the things that are pushing me into buying this. I might buy the digital version and sell the Donkey Kong code on eBay to offset the price.

Roto13

I just noticed the greatest thing ever.

The shiny stickers on the bottom screen. If you move your 3DS, they realistically shimmer. I'm sure I'm not the first person to notice this but I haven't been following the thread.

Game of the Year.

n64coder

Amazon charged my credit card yesterday but it's still in waiting to ship mode. &^$%@~!
I guess it'll go out tomorrow. Need to stay away from this thread until then.

zroid

Banned

The shiny stickers on the bottom screen. If you move your 3DS, they realistically shimmer. I'm sure I'm not the first person to notice this but I haven't been following the thread.

Game of the Year.

haha I read about that somewhere a few weeks ago. So awesome.

Game of the Year.

Shaking the 3DS makes your HP bar bounce around, too. :O

Vicros

Game of the Year.

That's actually pretty cool!

Koroviev

Game of the Year.

I didn't notice (._. )

Roto13

Is there a maximum number of "Things" you can carry? Is there any reason not to have one of everything just in case I need it in the future?

zroid

Banned
You can swing the hammer towards and away from the screen... it's been a while, but I don't think this was possible in earlier games?

eternalb

...I can see the Sticker Museum becoming very addictive for me.

Really? So far I hate the process of having to go to the museum and using Paperize mode to plant every sticker, especially when I don't even know where they go. I don't think I'm going to bother with it anymore. Why can't I just talk to the Toad and give him what I want to donate?

zroid

Banned
I have already learned in my 10-15 minutes of playing this game that it is strongly advised to wield your hammer with reckless abandon

aw yeah, got all the toads in my first pass. more meticulous than even Bowser, confirmed

massoluk

Banned

Game of the Year.

Holy shit, they do. Nintendo, god of little things.

iammeiam

I beat world one and am trying to start world 2, but...
the door wants a poison mushroom sticker, and I used one and stuck one up in the museum. The shady seller guy isn't there to sell me another one, the museum says legit sticker shops won't carry them, so I guess I'm going back to the final world 1 level because I think I got my second one from there?

Short version: I wouldn't recommend getting rid of the poison mushroom early on.

Favorite part so far is on 1-5, when you
knock over the tree and it takes out most of the background.

eternalb

the door wants a poison mushroom sticker, and I used one and stuck one up in the museum. The shady seller guy isn't there to sell me another one, the museum says legit sticker shops won't carry them, so I guess I'm going back to the final world 1 level because I think I got my second one from there?

Short version: I wouldn't recommend getting rid of the poison mushroom early on.

Go to the shop in your favorite level

jschreier

I think you can buy them at the shop on the mountain maybe?

Top Bottom