• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paper Mario: Sticker Star |OT| Delicious Flat Characters

Can I choose to attack enemies instead of the enemy in front?

Been wondering this myself. Nothing has allowed me to select the goomba in the middle when the first one is weak. This game has been fun so far. People who are skipping the battles are skipping what makes it enjoyable(/opinion).

Still hasn't shipped from Newegg. I'll have to call tomorrow, but it sounds like they may have received orders in excess of their preorder allotment. :(

CrisKre

Ok, well into level 3 at 7 hrs. and this is officially my favorite paper mario yet. I dont know what some reviewers where doing here. Granted, you need to explore each level thoroughly, so my guess is they where just rushing to get the reviews done.

ryushe

So I just found out this game uses the 3DS' gyro in a way that when you move the system from side to side, the 'shiny' stickers has a holographic effect as if you were really moving the sticker from side to side in the real world.

Fucking Nintendo, man.

Still hasn't shipped from Newegg. I'll have to call tomorrow, but it sounds like they may have received orders in excess of their preorder allotment. :(

I can't track my package yet even though I have a tracking number. It won't work till 8pm. I might receive the game on Tuesday.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
got it earlier today as well as a big ass paper mario decal. So far so good...however the sticker album needs some balance tho cuz I was overencumbered by the time I encountered a rare sticker...so lame...and Im a bit confused on how mario levels up... yes Im still at the beginning due to halo 4 multiplayer..

Roto13

got it earlier today as well as a big ass paper mario decal. So far so good...however the sticker album needs some balance tho cuz I was overencumbered by the time I encountered a rare sticker...so lame...and Im a bit confused on how mario levels up... yes Im still at the beginning due to halo 4 multiplayer..

You can just toss the stickers you don't need. You also get more pages for your sticker album eventually.

You only level up by collecting items that increase your maximum HP.

Yes Boss!

Well the limited album is kinda the point. It evolves, though. Got to use your resources as you attack enemies and keep picking them up in the world. I think they balanced it perfectly. Game feels like a Mario game, but also feels like an RPG.

I go for almost all the enemies because I like to build a bank for the roulette.

I'm through the first world and it, too, is probably my favorite Paper Mario. Just feels right on a handheld.

So much charm and surprise in the first world it is going to be great seeing the others.

All hail the SMB-style map. Love that shit.

CrisKre

You can also organize your stickers by pressing start while on the album.

Aeana

After I beat the first boss, Kersti said
"don't you think there was a more effective sticker you could have used instead?"
Does that affect anything?

Actually I came across a part that could potentially stump people in World 2-4 due to the location of said item. It's not in World 2 iirc, but I found it in the pier area when you finally get to leave Decalburg. I found this before I went completely into World 2 though so it slipped my mind.

After I beat the first boss, Kersti said
"don't you think there was a more effective sticker you could have used instead?"
Does that affect anything?

It's more on how to take down a boss faster. Each boss has a particular weakness of sorts.

Aeana

Actually I came across a part that could potentially stump people in World 2-4 due to the location of said item. It's not in World 2 iirc, but I found it in the pier area when you finally get to leave Decalburg. I found this before I went completely into World 2 though so it slipped my mind.

It's more on how to take down a boss faster. Each boss has a particular weakness of sorts.
Oh. That fight took a while, so it would have been nice to do it faster. I'm sure I know what it was, now, but I didn't want to exit the stage to get it.

UberTag

Oh. That fight took a while, so it would have been nice to do it faster. I'm sure I know what it was, now, but I didn't want to exit the stage to get it.
Which item do you think it was by chance?

I had already used
the fan and the scissors items at that point.
Assumed the boss would be felled by either the good luck kitty, the trumpet, the faucet or the vacuum cleaner but did not have a chance to take any of those for a spin.

I'm assuming the vacuum cleaner makes the most sense, right?

Which item do you think it was by chance?

I had already used
the fan and the scissors items at that point.
Assumed the boss would be felled by either the good luck kitty, the trumpet, the faucet or the vacuum cleaner but did not have a chance to take any of those for a spin.

I'm assuming the vacuum cleaner makes the most sense, right?

it was the fan

Really recommend having a particular thing ready for the 2nd boss. He's quite the doozy.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
I'm about two hours in and I'm stuck at the
Goomba Fortress in World 1. I think I'm supposed to cross a bridge but the wind keeps blowing me off before I can reach the other side. I can't find anywhere else in the castle that lets me progress
. What am I not seeing?

brinstar

I'm about two hours in and I'm stuck at the
Goomba Fortress in World 1. I think I'm supposed to cross a bridge but the wind keeps blowing me off before I can reach the other side. I can't find anywhere else in the castle that lets me progress
. What am I not seeing?

try entering the paperize mode when you're facing the fans

Roto13

it was the fan

Really recommend having a particular thing ready for the 2nd boss. He's quite the doozy.

What is that "particular thing"? I figure it's not worth going into one of these boss fights without looking that up in advance.

Yes Boss!

I want to embrace the 3D since it's perfect for this game, but I can't stand the aliasing :|

Hmmm,

That is never a big deal for me, the aliasing. Image is just plain clearer in 3D, that is why I prefer it.

Also, 3D gives the image a nice square-like pixel effect that is customary with the DS line (at least on XL), whereas 2D is just a basic vertical scanline.

Have not tried the game yet on one of my older 3DS system yet.

Koroviev

Hmmm,

That is never a big deal for me, the aliasing. Image is just plain clearer in 3D, that is why I prefer it.

Also, 3D gives the image a nice square-like pixel effect that is customary with the DS line (at least on XL), whereas 2D is just a basic vertical scanline.

Not for me. 3D is slightly blurry.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Hmmm,

Exact opposite for me. 2D is sharp, 3D is kind of a mess. I switch back and forth.

Against my better judgement I purchased this game today. I don't think I'll be a fan of this sticker system and lack of exp points to strengthen the characters, but I have enjoyed the first 3 offerings in this franchise which propelled me to give this one a go.

Gartooth

I finished the first two worlds so far, and when preparing for the second world boss, I exhausted all my coins to get enough thing stickers to take him down. Does anyone know of a good place to farm coins?

Also does
paperizing Luigi do anything?
I did it at the World 2 castle, and heard it can happen at 5 different locations, but I don't really know if there is any reward for doing it all.

Oh yeah and the
fan
was the one item I didn't have for the first world boss, which forced me to use all my thing stickers to my displeasure. (thankfully I knew what the right sticker was for world 2's boss)

I finished the first two worlds so far, and when preparing for the second world boss, I exhausted all my coins to get enough thing stickers to take him down. Does anyone know of a good place to farm coins?

Also does
paperizing Luigi do anything?
I did it at the World 2 castle, and heard it can happen at 5 different locations, but I don't really know if there is any reward for doing it all.

Oh yeah and the
fan
was the one item I didn't have for the first world boss, which forced me to use all my thing stickers to my displeasure. (thankfully I knew what the right sticker was for world 2's boss)

Don't know of a good place, but something tells me having more than one thing sticker should be helpful.

Gartooth

So how are you all liking it so far?

It's just alright. This Paper Mario still has the same charm as the old ones, but I do wish that there was more story to it, and I also think the game does a horrific job of guiding the player. Also the aforementioned bizarre design decisions to remove experience points, make enemies disappear when running away, and make every move that Mario uses besides running a consumable item are just plain odd.

taoofjord

I've played through the first two worlds now and am really loving it. The lack of stat progression is turning out to be a good choice as I think it works in this game's favor. It's freeing and makes the game feel more laid back and fun.

My only issue is the tedious nature of placing stickers into the museum one by one.

Lkr

so i just want to get this straight: i can only attack based on items i pick up? has me kinda ehhhh on purchasing this

Lkr

It works.

am i limited to the amount of times i can use the hammer or something based on an inventory or do i just have to find the item once and then i can use the attack, kinda like unlocking an attack in other games? i'm surprised that the reviews range from great to bad, and i know TTYD had a hilariously awful review score for whatever reason despite being fantastic, so i am a bit apprehensive on a purchase. i already passed on mario tennis due to lack of content, i hope nintendo didn't fuck this one up

So I just found out this game uses the 3DS' gyro in a way that when you move the system from side to side, the 'shiny' stickers has a holographic effect as if you were really moving the sticker from side to side in the real world.

Fucking Nintendo, man.

Ha! Just saw this as well :)

CronoShot

Got it today and played during my lunch break at work.

Amazing so far. Not as good as TTYD (obviously) but definitely better than SPM. I love the whole sticker aspect. It really fits well with the game's theme. And sticker collecting is addicting. My album was full like 10 minutes into the game.

Lunar15

Looking at the game, I don't think I have a problem with the battle system or lack of partners. However, the one thing that is turning me off right now is that the locales seem kind of generic. I'm kinda spoiled by TTYD with it's continuous stream of really interesting locales. Are the locations that generic? Or have I just not seen enough?

bh7812

Banned
I was luckily able to get some eShop cards tonight on the way outta work and will definitely start the download for Paper Mario here in a bit. Might take a while with my connection speeed but it should be bearable. In case it wasn't mentioned, the 4000 some blocks the game takes up translates out to 525 MB, just to give people some idea of the exact size and how long the download may take.

The game looks fantastic and have been excited to play it since it was announced! It looks extremely creative and imaginative. Not a surprise, Nintendo always delivers on creativity and imagination I've liked all the Paper Mario games before this one and count me among those that really did enjoy Super Paper Mario. It gets too much hate, it had a lot of creative ideas I thought and the writing was quite good really. I'm glad to hear this newest entry borrows some ideas from it-separate sub levels within each world and the World Map is a nice bonus. I'm hoping this one will be better musically than Super Paper Mario though.

Decided to get this digitally so I'll have one game bought of the few I need to get Donkey Kong. Have till January to decide what my other game will be towards that so I have time. Wanted to make sure I get Paper Mario on launch day at least! Have 60 bucks in cards, so hoping I'll have enough left over to get Denpa Men too. I'll definitely post my thoughts on the game here though after I've had a bit of time to play it.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
How does this game handle Game Overs?

Restart to the last save point, or can you continue from the area you were at when you died?

jrDev

Wait a minute!! Are the complaints that are being made centered around paperizing?

Btw, this game made me turn my 3ds on for first time in 5 months. :)

i had cancelled my newegg preorder after reading negative impressions but then i was at target today and just bought it. the game is really good! i was bummed about no XP and some of the other stuff but ive played it for a couple hours and i like the game a lot. funny dialog, good graphics and i actually like the sticker mechanism. still would kind of like the game to lean a little bit more on the traditional RPG side with XP and leveling up but the fact is that is a small nitpick for me after playing the game which i never thought i'd say

zroid

Banned
I'm sad i ultimately didn't get to play much today due to various circumstances. Too tired to do so now, but I'm gonna peel so many stickers tomorrow, you guys.

Roto13

am i limited to the amount of times i can use the hammer or something based on an inventory or do i just have to find the item once and then i can use the attack, kinda like unlocking an attack in other games? i'm surprised that the reviews range from great to bad, and i know TTYD had a hilariously awful review score for whatever reason despite being fantastic, so i am a bit apprehensive on a purchase. i already passed on mario tennis due to lack of content, i hope nintendo didn't fuck this one up

You find or buy stickers that represent individual attacks and spend them to perform the attacks. Once you use a sticker, it's gone forever, but it's not really limiting, since they are literally everywhere. You'll probably finish the first level with a completely full inventory.

How does this game handle Game Overs?

Restart to the last save point, or can you continue from the area you were at when you died?

You get booted back to the title screen.

Top Bottom