• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paper Mario: Sticker Star |OT| Delicious Flat Characters

Man, I only got about a half hour in before my 3DS started to die (from playing too much Virtue's Last Reward), but damn this game looks good. The music is fantastic too, even on my crappy XL speakers.

I like the sticker collecting, though I could see ditching stickers for bigger, more damaging stickers could get annoying after a while. I'm usually OCD in Paper Mario games, hitting every tree, searching every bush, so this game is right up my alley.

Infinite

Is there like a sticker bank or something? I got too many of the big stickers and I'm being very frugal with using the shiny and flashy stickers

Koroviev

Man, I only got about a half hour in before my 3DS started to die (from playing too much Virtue's Last Reward), but damn this game looks good. The music is fantastic too, even on my crappy XL speakers.

I like the sticker collecting, though I could see ditching stickers for bigger, more damaging stickers could get annoying after a while. I'm usually OCD in Paper Mario games, hitting every tree, searching every bush, so this game is right up my alley.

Yeah, the game looks phenomenal. I can't believe how smooth everything is without the 3D. New standard!

Does Kid Icarus look anything like that without the 3D effect?

Dr.Hadji

Only at around World 1-3 but so far the games funny/unfunny ratio for jokes is sitting comfortably around 50%. That's really good. For comparison Bower's Inside Story is around 20-30%.

branny

I'm usually OCD in Paper Mario games, hitting every tree, searching every bush, so this game is right up my alley.
Bleh, so TTYD is like that, too?

I was going to jump into TTYD right after I finished the last world or so in LBP Vita, but I'm kind of sick of all the detours you need to make to collect prize bubbles that distract you from the platforming your first time through each level.

If I'm going to have to be searching every corner of the environment for fear of missing stuff before I move on, I'm going to have to put TTYD on hold until I'm in the mood for that crap again. =\

Yeah, the game looks phenomenal. I can't believe how smooth everything is without the 3D. New standard!

Does Kid Icarus look anything like that without the 3D effect?
No, I don't think so. I don't remember any sort of dramatic upgrade with Kid Icarus when 3D's off. I mostly play that with 3D on, though, so I could be wrong.

Super Street Fighter IV, on the other hand, has a 30fps crazily anti-aliased mode available with 3D turned off. To me, it was so smoothed out that it kind of looked like I was watching a video of it (compared to other games that do the same thing but not as dramatically with 3D off). I don't know if it'll still look like that on an XL. Too lazy to check, and I hate that game, lol.

You're making it sound like Sticker Star is more like SF in this area. If I ever get Sticker Star, yay for that. :D

Kandinsky

Can anyone boot this with the os in spanish and check if it supports it, please?, I want to get it for my kids but won't if it doesn't.

I was going to jump into TTYD right after I finished the last world or so in LBP Vita, but I'm kind of sick of all the detours you need to make to collect prize bubbles that distract you from the platforming your first time through each level.

If I'm going to have to be searching every corner of the environment for fear of missing stuff before I move on, I'm going to have to put TTYD on hold until I'm in the mood for that crap again. =\

No, I don't think so. I don't remember any sort of dramatic upgrade with Kid Icarus when 3D's off. I mostly play that with 3D on, though, so I could be wrong.

Super Street Fighter IV, on the other hand, has a 30fps crazily anti-aliased mode available with 3D turned off. To me, it was so smoothed out that it kind of looked like I was watching a video of it (compared to other games that do the same thing but not as dramatically with 3D off). I don't know if it'll still look like that on an XL. Too lazy to check, and I hate that game, lol.

You're making it sound like Sticker Star is more like SF in this area. If I ever get Sticker Star, yay for that. :D

If you disable the 3D in SSFIV3D menu, the games runs at 60FPS.

branny

^SSFIV actually has two 2D modes that you can toggle between in the options menu. One is the jaggy 60fps one that most people will opt to play with. The other is a 30fps mode that is really smooth looking. :)

Yuterald

Picked up my copy today, played it for about 3 hours straight. Cleared World 1 and got my first Royal Sticker. I love it. From what I've played so far this could be my favorite Paper Mario game (and I've been there since the N64 days, 100%'ed all of them aside from Super Paper Mario).

First of all, the game looks phenomenal. I think Intelligent Systems finally nailed that paper effect. There's so much more liveliness in this game too. More things going on in the background, more reactions to the environment from hammer strikes, etc. It just looks and feels perfect. The scenario in 1-5 (I believe?) where a boulder creates a domino effect with the props/scenery in the background was incredible
(It was especially cool how it played an old Mario theme as each piece fell)
. Anyone saying that the game lacks that Nintendo charm and polish is nuts. It's all here.

I like how quickly the game starts too. All the other Paper Mario games have fairly lengthy introductions and this game cut to the chase relatively quickly. There's also surprisingly little text and dialogue. I know a lot of the charm for these games is the writing and dialogue, but honestly, it got old after awhile (especially in some chapters in The Thousand Year Door and Super Paper Mario).

I wasn't too worried about not having partners or a traditional experience level going into the game and now that I've played up to my first real boss, I'm definitely still cool with it. I find it funny that some critics said that you had to have a specific sticker to beat a boss. I beat the world 1 boss without the suggested sticker and while it was a more difficult battle it certainly wasn't impossible. Maybe it becomes harder later in the game, but I somehow doubt it now that I understand how battles work.

I thought MAYBE the fact that your primary attacks are one-time use items would bother me, but they are in SUCH AN ABUNDANCE! Any concern I had before playing this immediately went out the window after seeing how everything works. Every time you refresh an area they come back too so it's really not that big of a deal. I've also obtained 2 full inventory pages while playing through World 1 and I haven't encountered any inventory headaches (even when carrying numerous large stickers/things).

There looks to be secrets ALL OVER THE PLACE TOO! So much backtracking potential! Oh, and after the first world I suggest people to head back to Decalburg and check out the sticker assembly area...
8 in-game achievements, 4 battle related and 4 collection/100% related challenges!
. Definitely looking forward to playing more of this! =)

No, that's just a habit of mine, and not as important to the gameplay as it seems to be in Sticker Star. TTYD is great (just got to the last chapter), and there are a few objectives that are stupid and drawn out, but most of the time the dungeons are fun to explore and not a chore. The writing is top-notch too, as well as the music.

branny

^Ohhhhhh, I see. Thanks for clearing that up and re-convincing me, lol.

I'll start TTYD soon and keep reading Sticker Star impressions in the meantime.

Mory Dunz

I remember when the first Paper Mario came out, the initial reaction was,

"How come when you level up your stats don't increase? I want a Super Mario RPG 2 with regular damage, not 1s and 2s, and stats, and a big party. And Bowser not being the main bad guy again."

But now Paper Mario is the standard.
Not saying Sticker Star will become standard or anything like that, I'm just remembering attitudes about games when they were released vs. now. (Like Majora's Mask)

Yes Boss!

Really digging this. Definitely up there.

I play with 3D all the way up. It is fricken' Paper Mario in 3D...would never go back to 2D on it. Also, 2D makes the text all fuzzy, which is annoying.

Music is so refreshing

ffdgh

Probably too soon but hows the gameplay so far compared to SPM since TTYD is possibly too high XD.

I wonder did the pit of 100 trials make a return.

0E0No.jpg

God damn I love this game.

I don't get the early complaints. The writing it's clever, the puzzles are fair so far and the game is clever about hiding things, and the game is charming and fun. I was really worried, but it works really well for me.

GWX

I was going to get on eShop when I was released, but then I didn't... I think I'll get it tomorrow, despite all the negative talk about it (at least the last 100 posts have been more encouraging :S). It just looks too charming and fun to be left behind.

edit: when *it* was released, lol

Roto13

I was going to get on eShop when I was released, but then I didn't... I think I'll get it tomorrow, despite all the negative talk about it (at least the last 100 posts have been more encouraging :S). It just looks too charming and fun to be left behind.

All the negative talk from a handful of reviewers and a ton of people who haven't played it.

Yes Boss!

I don't get the early complaints. The writing it's clever, the puzzles are fair so far and the game is clever about hiding things, and the game is charming and fun. I was really worried, but it works really well for me.

No complaints here.

Game is awesome. I was a little let down by NSMB2 so this is great.

Vibed

Going out to get the game right now, hope it doesn't disappoint!

BTW: Can anyone explain the title? "Delicious"?

This game seems right up my alley with the added emphasis on exploration. I find it funny that some reviewers are genuinely upset that they have to think.

Also I've never played TTYD so I don't have that to compare it to at least.

Not sure if the puzzles or something have to do with doing levels out of order or anything. Nothing is too bad. (Chapter 3-1 right now)

Borman

Ill be uploading a video of the first 15 minutes or so, until right before the first battle. Big files are big though hah.

GWX

All the negative talk from a handful of reviewers and a ton of people who haven't played it.

Some complaints that I heard about it seemed pretty justifiable, which lowered my hype. But then again, I'm glad people here have been enjoying it, and I hope I will also.

Roto13

Some complaints that I heard about it seemed pretty justifiable, which lowered my hype. But then again, I'm glad people here have been enjoying it, and I hope I will also.

I believe the complaint about necessary stuff being hidden in completely out-of-the-way places with no hints, since I heard about it from sources I trust, even though I'm at the end of world 2 and I haven't encountered that problem yet, but a lot of the other complaints were just whining that it's not Paper Mario: The Thousand And One Year Door.

GWX

I believe the complaint about necessary stuff being hidden in completely out-of-the-way places with no hints, since I heard about it from sources I trust, even though I'm at the end of world 2 and I haven't encountered that problem yet, but a lot of the other complaints were just whining that it's not Paper Mario: The Thousand And One Year Door.

Not being like Thousand Year Door is not a problem for me, I think. I know it's a different kind of game, and I'm going in with that in mind. And if I get stuck, even if it's due to poor design, well, I can look for guides on the web, no problem. I want to enjoy this; I hope I do!

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I need to leave this goddamned thread

but then there's the AC one

I need to leave the goddamned board

jrDev

Game is amazing and very charming, looks and sound great to boot. Couple of questions:

Can I choose to attack enemies instead of the enemy in front?

How do I get the battle spinner?

brinstar

Just finished World 1, game is great! My only gripe is the lack of supporting characters but it's pretty clear that they're going for a totally different feel here.

Top Bottom