• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paper Mario: Sticker Star |OT| Delicious Flat Characters

you can't obtain the bowling ball until you beat 3-8. A wiggler piece will run away to 3-2 and will open up a pathway to a bowling ball. Could you help with 5-1. One of the shy guys with a spear that had the special paper I need was eaten by a flower but I can't stun with enough time to run all the way over and cross it.

There's a hidden block you can hit with your hammer next to that little blue flower. It's right near the carnivorous flower, on a little ledge outside the tall grass.

tornjaw

you can't obtain the bowling ball until you beat 3-8. A wiggler piece will run away to 3-2 and will open up a pathway to a bowling ball. Could you help with 5-1. One of the shy guys with a spear that had the special paper I need was eaten by a flower but I can't stun with enough time to run all the way over and cross it.

On the left side there is a blue flower on a slight ledge, use your hammer and strike at the wall behind the flower. There's a hidden coin block. Use it to jump up on the ledge.

Beaten - of course.

DSGamer

Neo Member
I'm find this game very boring. I avoid the battles mostly and I'm just wandering around doing middling puzzles. Kind of feel like selling this and picking Bowser's Inside Story again. When does this get good?

Dr.Hadji

I'm find this game very boring. I avoid the battles mostly and I'm just wandering around doing middling puzzles. Kind of feel like selling this and picking Bowser's Inside Story again. When does this get good?

Never if your plan is to ignore the largest gameplay vehicle the game has to offer. Its very easy to "break" most any RPG (and in this case RPG-like) system. You're always going to have to give the system some slack (because pure winning strats are usually fairly obvious and often boring) and maybe pursue other aspect of the system that you find interesting. Battling baddies is what so many of the systems depend on in the game. If you don't feel the need to get into them (or play in such a way that they happen naturally) then maybe this game isn't for you.

Never if your plan is to ignore the largest gameplay vehicle the game has to offer. Its very easy to "break" most any RPG (and in this case RPG-like) system. You're always going to have to give the system some slack (because pure winning strats are usually fairly obvious and often boring) and maybe pursue other aspect of the system that you find interesting. Battling baddies is what so many of the systems depend on in the game. If you don't feel the need to get into them (or play in such a way that they happen naturally) then maybe this game isn't for you.

Don't know what you are talking about. The turn battles are an afterthought. This game is more fun when avoiding the fights, and many of the later levels emphasize it. What makes it good is avoiding the RPGs shit.

Just finished 1-6 last night.

I think my only problem with the game so far, and granted I'm pretty early on, is the pacing.

Paper Mario 64 and the Thousand Year Door always had great things to break up the stream of battles.

Sticker Star, so far, however, has just been battle after battle after battle, with me having no strategy so far, and already holding over 1000 coins. Does the pacing improve as the game goes on?

Roto13

Don't know what you are talking about. The turn battles are an afterthought. This game is more fun when avoiding the fights, and many of the later levels emphasize it. What makes it good is avoiding the RPGs shit.

It's kind of amazing that so many people just don't get the battle system or the point of it at all.

krae_man

Man it took me forever to find who you need to in order to cross the bridge. I went to every nook and cranny you can go before I finally found
that pesky last toad. I was looking for someone tall to help me, I wasn't expecting a pile of toads doing it.

Dr.Hadji

So I figured out what Sticker Star's structure reminds me of. Sticker Star is Okami with a turned based battle system. Paperize is your Celestial Brush. The overworlds are used for exploring. And battles take place in a separate zone, classic RPG style.

I need to look back, but I have to wonder why people(reviewers) didn't have a problem with Okami's segregated battle zones as it presents the same problems that some people have with Sticker Star.

matthwq

Banned
I'm enjoying the game. The battles are a bit pointless, but they're there if I want them to be and mostly not when I don't. And they're fun.

I'm sure it's been said before, but it kinda resembles a lighthearted Paper Mario/Zelda spinoff, if anything. Which is cool.

Fabrik

Banned
So I figured out what Sticker Star's structure reminds me of. Sticker Star is Okami with a turned based battle system. Paperize is your Celestial Brush. The overworlds are used for exploring. And battles take place in a separate zone, classic RPG style.

I need to look back, but I have to wonder why people(reviewers) didn't have a problem with Okami's segregated battle zones as it presents the same problems that some people have with Sticker Star.

That's a good comparison. Both games are not classic RPGs. The main problem here is people expectations. It's scary that reviewers docked points because they basically wanted a different type of game.

Been waiting for a good selection of 3DS games and with this now released and a few others I'm thinking its finally time to bite. Should I wait for black Friday to find a deal on a 3DS XL? This new Mario RPG sounds like alot of fun.

Bought the game yesterday night, the first half hour or so has been fun. After the DS Mario and Luigi games, I will have to get re-used to taking damage even after blocking during combat.

I love exploring in general, so I think I am going to really enjoy this game.

Also, the game (especially the 3D aspect) looks gorgeous. Like playing one of those Paper Mario dioramas that people make.

Also, the game (especially the 3D aspect) looks gorgeous. Like playing one of those Paper Mario dioramas that people make.
The presentation is awesome. I was playing the game for about an hour before I noticed how much of the environment is designed to look like it's been cut out from cardboard.

I think that the game is the best use of the system's 3D so far.

Yes Boss!

The presentation is awesome. I was playing the game for about an hour before I noticed how much of the environment is designed to look like it's been cut out from cardboard.

I think that the game is the best use of the system's 3D so far.

I agree, then 3D Land just under it.

I find it incredible that folks choose to play it in 2D.

Hobbun

There aren’t really any ‘stats’ in the game except for your hit points. And there are HP Boosts throughout the game that raises your max HP.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
This game has such good attention to detail. I was just in 2-1 and 2-2, there's a few segments where enemies are on quicksand pits. I noticed the battleground changed to this, and if you take too long to pick a move Mario starts sinking. Well, so do the enemies! I let the spiny sink since it's shorter than Mario, and it died.

Yuterald

This game has such good attention to detail. I was just in 2-1 and 2-2, there's a few segments where enemies are on quicksand pits. I noticed the battleground changed to this, and if you take too long to pick a move Mario starts sinking. Well, so do the enemies! I let the spiny sink since it's shorter than Mario, and it died.

Whoa, that's fucking awesome! I also love the fact that the battle arenas represent the area/screen that you are currently in. There's more than one battle background per world, which is as "attention to detail" as you're going to get!

Yuterald

Oh my god...I finally figured out what I was supposed to do in 3-5. Jesus Christ at this game with its
Invisible Blocks!
/ I can't believe I found the infamous one in World 5 without too much trouble yet the World 3 one left me clueless for days. Still love the game though, lol!

Seguin

Banned
Question, and would appreciate a spoiler free answer as much as it is possible

So I've beaten 1-1 through 1-3. I've noticed in each level there is a door outline, with a very large box when I go to stickerize it. I've tried everything in my arsenal but nothing has worked. Is it just something I need to figure out or is it only possible later to get to these doors?

Yuterald

Question, and would appreciate a spoiler free answer as much as it is possible

So I've beaten 1-1 through 1-3. I've noticed in each level there is a door outline, with a very large box when I go to stickerize it. I've tried everything in my arsenal but nothing has worked. Is it just something I need to figure out or is it only possible later to get to these doors?

It's only possible later on to get those
doors.

Roto13

What are they missing, in your opinion?

You're missing just how important coins are. The stickers you find in the wild early on are enough to take out basically anything, but they won't cut it later. When the giant stickers start becoming a regular part of your arsenal, you'll need those coins. And that's not even mentioning Thing Stickers, which can cost hundreds of coins for a single attack. They're meant to be actually used in regular battle, and not just during boss fights or as keys to certain obstacles as the game may lead you to believe. (That's why there's 60+ of them and maybe a dozen of them are mandatory or nearly mandatory for bosses.) Coins are essentially EXP and MP at the same time in this game.

Ok, I did not know this. This is awesome.

VICI0US

The main problem here is people expectations. It's scary that reviewers docked points because they basically wanted a different type of game.

it's the nintendo curse.

if they make a direct sequel similar to other games in the series, it's "unimaginative, iterative, predictable, and stale"

if they do something new it's "this isn't ______ series!"

I'm perfectly fine with this game not being TTYD 2, I'm really enjoying it for what it is.

Yuterald

it's the nintendo curse.

if they make a direct sequel similar to other games in the series, it's "unimaginative, iterative, predictable, and stale"

if they do something new it's "this isn't ______ series!"

I'm perfectly fine with this game not being TTYD 2, I'm really enjoying it for what it is.

What I find somewhat ridiculous is how some people are acting like Sticker Star is the FURTHEST departure from the previous entries in the series. It's not like we're talking Resident Evil 1 to Resident Evil 6 kind of differences/changes here. Now that's a departure. You just can't win with some people, I guess.

Wolfe

It's the aliasing, although it's not quite as bad within the actual levels.

In every 3DS game I own I still don't understand it unless the person (whether they're aware of it or not) actually can't see the 3D well for whatever reason, every time I check out how the games look without 3D it never looks as good. The AA never makes up for the fact and even in the one game I thought it was the best on (RE:R) it still didn't look as good as the game being seen in 3D.

Honestly in a game like Paper Mario it just makes everything look muddy to me and less detailed, which makes sense to a degree since you've just lost depth to an environment that was designed with that depth in mind.

Ridley327

Just hit world 4 today; after a pretty slow and unmemorable start in world 1, this game has really come into its own. I don't think it's really going to completely erase the feeling that combat seems kinda useless outside of where it's required, but the focus on the adventure game aspects is very welcome, especially since the game makes no attempt to hold your hand in a forced way. Even the boss fights have some rather wonderful puzzle elements to them. And holy crap, the soundtrack!

Boss spoiler:
There was nothing about Gooper Blooper that I didn't love; the mariachi theme was fantastic.

zroid

Banned
Ugh I'm falling way behind now, still in the early goings of World 3. Didn't play at all today so far, and I doubt I'll have much time to this evening either.

Yuterald

Ugh I'm falling way behind now, still in the early goings of World 3. Didn't play at all today so far, and I doubt I'll have much time to this evening either.

I've actually had too much time to play games as of late. I start a new job on Monday so I know my time for games will come down quite a bit. I'm already getting that "I don't want this to end" feeling though as I feel like I'm approaching the 75% mark. I'm already envious of those who haven't seen some of the later levels yet (World 5 in particular). I would cherish your time with a game like this!

Ridley327

I have to commend the game as well for just how bizarre the asides can be; getting the notorious Goat is one gigantic, wonderful WTF. That really seems like something that would fit the Mario & Luigi series better, but it's not out of place here at all.

Ketch

Little disappointed by the end of 1-6. How was I supposed to know what I needed to do? Was there a hint somewhere that I missed?

Ridley327

Little disappointed by the end of 1-6. How was I supposed to know what I needed to do? Was there a hint somewhere that I missed?

Are you talking about the "right" way to do it? I guess the only real visible hint you get is during
the section where you have to cross the bridge by clogging up the fans, which are currently blowing Paragoombas around.
The other bosses have FAR more obvious tells; one, in particular, couldn't make it more obvious as to what you need to bring for maximum impact.

Amir0x

Banned
To be fair, most of us only felt that way because we didn't enjoy their last diversion from the established series. We were all hyped as hell when SPM was announced, starved for 2D platforming (at the time) and the concept sounded incredible.

The fact that (IMO) they missed the mark so badly with that game made me very wary of PM:SS, I'm glad that it turned out great though (again IMO).

I just want to make it clear that I have always loved Super Paper Mario and continue to do so. I feel this game certainly improves in some areas - specifically, a more directed and imo more effective use of dialogue (even though without character partners of the typical Paper Mario titles, much is lost) - but there is a lot that I don't even think is in the same league. In many ways, the sticker system is really a bunch of trade-offs that in the end add up to something that, to me, is quite a bit less fun than past Paper Mario titles. Less fun, doesn't mean no fun at all... to be crystal so there is no confusion.

That is not to say I'm not enjoying it, I am, but I feel the reviewers in the high 7 range are correct. There's too many problems for me, and it has nothing to do with being change averse... it simply has to do with many of changes being inferior.

I'll post real complete thoughts on what I had issues with and what I love later. But, for those jumping to conclusions, I still enjoy the game. It's just... considering I purchased a 3DS for Paper Mario: Sticker Star, the cliff it fell off of is quite disheartening.

Ridley327

I will agree that Nintendo should have been more upfront with the aims of this game. I didn't really follow it all that closely, so to find out that it's an adventure game that sometimes has turn-based combat was genuinely surprising, if not initially off-putting.

I will agree that Nintendo should have been more upfront with the aims of this game. I didn't really follow it all that closely, so to find out that it's an adventure game that sometimes has turn-based combat was genuinely surprising, if not initially off-putting.

They've been pretty clear about some of the things people are complaining about with the lack of exp and the open world and whatnot.

Mileena

Banned

You should have got this before me and saved me $40, bastard.

Ganondorfo

I want to have a funny game with great towns and an original storyline and not so annoying party members.

But I also hated the gameplay of the first paper mario on n64, it was soooooooo slow.

Can you recommend this game to me?

I want to have a funny game with great towns and an original storyline and not so annoying party members.

But I also hated the gameplay of the first paper mario on n64, it was soooooooo slow.

Well it's a funny game, some great locations, no party members, and it's pretty much fast paced.

Roto13

This one is funny with one town, no story worth talking about, and no party members. It's also faster paced than the original Paper Mario with pretty different gameplay in general.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Personally, after a short while I didn't feel the battle system came across as pointless or an afterthought. It's hard to see how you can reason that when the entire game world is built around it, and the economy of the stickers and locations of enemies is part of the ecosystem.

It seems you'd almost have to purposefully try to not play the game right and run through it to miss that.

To be frank I wasn't sure myself if it was going to work out initially, like to the final level in world 1. By that point though, and especially with the new enemies showing up in world 2, it became clear that the trash stickers in the environment were inadequate and you needed to start fighting to bankroll coins and make proper use of your inventory slots. For an efficient combination of stickers.

It doesn't hurt that the battles are fun, don't take too long when you know what you're doing. In addition, they remain interesting because of the very fact that you don't have a default "free" attack like a basic stomp and hammer attack. By making every single action cost a sticker, there's no motivation to be lazy and just mash basic attacks knowing that you can survive attrition to your own HP by the time the enemies are dead. That is in fact a big problem with a lot of traditional RPG battle systems - high level strategy breaks down and becomes a bit pointless when you can just perform mindless actions and outlast the enemy because say, you're wearing good gear or have overleveled hit points. That doesn't happen here, so far at least.

To a degree, I'm reminded of the junction system in FFVIII - where every spell cast cost you stats, and made you think about what you were spending.

Top Bottom