• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paper Mario: Sticker Star |OT| Delicious Flat Characters

Guys is my game fucked or did I just miss something? I've cleared every level in world 3 (every circle is blue), except for 3-12. I've resorted to a guide in my sheer frustration and supposedly the last wiggler piece is supposed to show up by the dock in 3-12. Problem is it didn't. At Wiggler's house, he's only got 3 pieces. What the fuck do I do, what did I miss?

Edit: Nevermind, found two piece of shit Bloopers raping the Wiggler behind some bushes in 3-11.

Haha. I'm on the Wiggler Quest as well and really hating it.

squid

Less than a week until it's released here. I'll be picking it up day 1, since it's a Paper Mario game, but my expectations have been greatly lowered. This was my #1 reason for picking up a 3DS after the 2010 showing, but my impressions of trailers, previews, Iwata Asks and reviews have destroyed my hype :-(

Usually with Iwata Asks, even if I didn't like something in the game, their explanation and reasoning behind it makes sense and I can understand why they did what they did. With the PM Iwata Asks though, I was just bewildered by a lot of what they said. Why was Miyamoto complaining about SS being too similar to TTYD when TTYD is 8 years old and the NSMB series has had 4 extremely similar games released in the last 6 years? Whats wrong with introducing some new characters, especially when IS have done so well with that in the past?

Eh, I shouldn't pass judgement on it until I've played and finished the game, but I was really hoping for another game similar to (and as good as) PM64 and TTYD and from early showings of the game, that looked like what we'd get.

zychi

Banned
Beat it, sold it, what a disappointment.

What's on the horizon for future 3DS games? Mine has basically become a Pokemon machine.

Tunavi

Banned
ugh this game is so incredibly boring

and this last wiggler piece is nowhere to be found. I'm at the beach and he's not there. what do I do. walkthroughs are not helping

Mistle

Less than a week until it's released here. I'll be picking it up day 1, since it's a Paper Mario game, but my expectations have been greatly lowered. This was my #1 reason for picking up a 3DS after the 2010 showing, but my impressions of trailers, previews, Iwata Asks and reviews have destroyed my hype :-(

Usually with Iwata Asks, even if I didn't like something in the game, their explanation and reasoning behind it makes sense and I can understand why they did what they did. With the PM Iwata Asks though, I was just bewildered by a lot of what they said. Why was Miyamoto complaining about SS being too similar to TTYD when TTYD is 8 years old and the NSMB series has had 4 extremely similar games released in the last 6 years? Whats wrong with introducing some new characters, especially when IS have done so well with that in the past?

Eh, I shouldn't pass judgement on it until I've played and finished the game, but I was really hoping for another game similar to (and as good as) PM64 and TTYD and from early showings of the game, that looked like what we'd get.
Agree with this post entirely. PM and Luigi's Mansion were the reason I was so pumped for 3DS. Sad to see this game be underwhelming. I may still pick it up though, as it may be a good game in it's own right, but it just doesn't seem appealing to me.

And the bolded, holy shit, did Miyamoto actually say that? I mean, nothing but respect for the man, but I can't applaud him on that statement lol.

Here's hoping they don't screw up Luigi's Mansion!

squid

Agree with this post entirely. PM and Luigi's Mansion were the reason I was so pumped for 3DS. Sad to see this game be underwhelming. I may still pick it up though, as it may be a good game in it's own right, but it just doesn't seem appealing to me.

And the bolded, holy shit, did Miyamoto actually say that? I mean, nothing but respect for the man, but I can't applaud him on that statement lol.

Here's hoping they don't screw up Luigi's Mansion!

Yeah, in the Iwata Asks, they mention that they showed Miyamoto an earlier version of the game (around E3 2010) and Miyamoto said it was "just a port of the Gamecube version" and wanted them to change it up, and get rid of the story and non-established Mario characters.

Tunavi

Banned
So after 12 hours in and after finishing world 3, I'm done with the game. There's a lot about this game that's disappointing. I love Intelligent Systems and I think they were making this a great game, but it sounds like Miyamoto ruined it by scrapping everything.

First off, the game is boring. It actually put me to sleep a few times, no joke. I put the game down and passed out. I didn't want to keep progressing, there wasn't any purpose to the game. There's nothing driving me forward except for simply getting to the next level. There's no overall goal and the world's don't seem very relevant to anything.

The battle system is bad. The repetitive battles aren't fun, and there's virtually no reward for battling except for coins, which lose their incentive value once you have over 1000. an RPG element would have been nice.

I wanted to like this badly. 3DS needed a good Q4 game and this was supposed to be it. The music is great and the visuals are even better but the actual gameplay is what suffers.

ugh this game is so incredibly boring

and this last wiggler piece is nowhere to be found. I'm at the beach and he's not there. what do I do. walkthroughs are not helping

The last Wiggler segment is in
3-11 Holey Thicket, once you start the level there are two bloopers and final Wiggler segment behind the bushes

Mistle

Yeah, in the Iwata Asks, they mention that they showed Miyamoto an earlier version of the game (around E3 2010) and Miyamoto said it was "just a port of the Gamecube version" and wanted them to change it up, and get rid of the story and non-established Mario characters.
this is beyond depressing

Famassu

So... this game is pretty bad/mediocre? Too bad, will probably cancel my pre-order, though it's a bit of a *phew* for my wallet/bank account. So far I've bought way too many games this Fall, it's good that not all of them are worth purchasing.

watershed

Banned
I'm still playing this game bit by bit and I'm loving it. I enjoy the fast pace and the inventiveness of the design. Its the only 3ds game that keeps me entertained at the moment.

I'm at Bowser's castle and it turns out that this is my favorite Paper Mario. Love the battle system, love the different stickers and things you can collect.

Just finished getting 100% of the heart upgrades, secret doors, and finished the sticker museum.

Also found all of the hidden Luigi's. Yea...I'm in love with this game.

Disappointing to hear the negative impressions. Considering this is only the fourth 3DS game to release this year (and third with "Mario" in the title), that's a huge letdown for me. I've bought a total of two games for the system all year and that's crazy when you recall how strong the second fall (hell, year) was for the original DS.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
So... this game is pretty bad/mediocre? Too bad, will probably cancel my pre-order, though it's a bit of a *phew* for my wallet/bank account. So far I've bought way too many games this Fall, it's good that not all of them are worth purchasing.

it seems like someone's disappointed with it, but there's a vast majority of happy customers. Myself, i'm not cancelling the preorder. I prefer to let myself try the game before basing my purchase on someone else's opinions

Qurupeke

it seems like someone's disappointed with it, but there's a vast majority of happy customers. Myself, i'm not cancelling the preorder. I prefer to let myself try the game before basing my purchase on someone else's opinions

Well, I'll do the same, but I find it weird that there are now so many negative opinions about this. On the other hand, the other Mario game of December, NSMBU has far more fans now than when it was first announced. Weird.

I just hope that SS will do well and we will be able to see a proper RPG Mario soon.

nluckett

At first I was pretty disappointed with this game as well. I loved Thousand Year Door and all I wanted (ahem, Miyamoto) was a continuation of that formula. So far my biggest gripe of the game is that there are no funny new partners or npcs really. Such a bummer for a series that has done so much with them in the past.

HOWEVER, once I let go of the fact that this isn't Thousand Year Door and started just enjoying the game for what it is, Im really having fun. This is not an RPG. It's more like a adventure platformer mixed with turn based battles.

Once I realized that each level is... a level, with a start and finish, more like a typical Mario game, it started to click. Go crazy, use as many stickers as you want. Use them as fast as you can get them, cuz there are always a ton more, the levels aren't that long and you can always jump out and buy more at the store. Obviously save the big important looking ones for boss battles or puzzles, but the fighting became so much more fun once I took this approach.

Plus the game seems to be aware that the fighting isn't as simple and joyful as Thousand Year Door. Instead, these battles are more strategic. Instead of just putting enemies around for you to bounce on, this game uses them as obstacles. Making you avoid them sometimes, putting them in your way to try to make you waste stickers, etc. It becomes pretty interesting once you start getting to harder enemies.

The visuals and some of the puzzles are inventive. So far there is no real script to speak of... but more like little charming skits. Not enough so far for me (especially in regards to previous entries or the Mario & Luigi games), but they are cute.

Anyway, I think you have to look at this game for what it is. A portable turn based Mario game. World map is awesome and quick, levels are jam packed, yet short for quick plays on the bus. There is no complex plot or characters to remember, which Im guessing was also decided upon for a portable game.

Hopefully this newfound enthusiasm carries me through the rest of the game.

smr00

Banned
As someone who skipped all the Paper Mario games, is this worth picking up?

I picked up an XL and have no games and i am debating between this or New Super Mario Bros. 2 and since i just got a Wii-U and Mario U i am kind of leaning towards this one more but all the complaining is kind of putting me off.

Disappointing to hear the negative impressions. Considering this is only the fourth 3DS game to release this year (and third with "Mario" in the title), that's a huge letdown for me. I've bought a total of two games for the system all year and that's crazy when you recall how strong the second fall (hell, year) was for the original DS.

Fourth game? You don't keep up with releases do you...or did you mean just first party?

Doorman

At first I was pretty disappointed with this game as well. I loved Thousand Year Door and all I wanted (ahem, Miyamoto) was a continuation of that formula. So far my biggest gripe of the game is that there are no funny new partners or npcs really. Such a bummer for a series that has done so much with them in the past.

HOWEVER, once I let go of the fact that this isn't Thousand Year Door and started just enjoying the game for what it is, Im really having fun. This is not an RPG. It's more like a adventure platformer mixed with turn based battles.

Once I realized that each level is... a level, with a start and finish, more like a typical Mario game, it started to click. Go crazy, use as many stickers as you want. Use them as fast as you can get them, cuz there are always a ton more, the levels aren't that long and you can always jump out and buy more at the store. Obviously save the big important looking ones for boss battles or puzzles, but the fighting became so much more fun once I took this approach.

Plus the game seems to be aware that the fighting isn't as simple and joyful as Thousand Year Door. Instead, these battles are more strategic. Instead of just putting enemies around for you to bounce on, this game uses them as obstacles. Making you avoid them sometimes, putting them in your way to try to make you waste stickers, etc. It becomes pretty interesting once you start getting to harder enemies.

The visuals and some of the puzzles are inventive. So far there is no real script to speak of... but more like little charming skits. Not enough so far for me (especially in regards to previous entries or the Mario & Luigi games), but they are cute.

Anyway, I think you have to look at this game for what it is. A portable turn based Mario game. World map is awesome and quick, levels are jam packed, yet short for quick plays on the bus. There is no complex plot or characters to remember, which Im guessing was also decided upon for a portable game.

Hopefully this newfound enthusiasm carries me through the rest of the game.
Nice post, it reiterates a lot of what I've been trying to convey. People that expect this to be another RPG in the pure sense and approach it with that kind of mindset are going to come away disappointed. It really is turning out to be an interesting test of how open players' minds are to how malleable they want the franchise to be.

Regarding the whole "skits" thing, they touched on that in the Iwata Asks and it's something I hadn't thought about at all until it was brought up in there. They still wanted this game to be full of comedy and charm like the others, but rather than doing it through a bunch of characters and dialogue, they focused more on smaller episodic things and a whole ton of sight gags, mostly playing to the paper theme. In retrospect, there have been a lot of moments that get small chuckles out of me, and a few larger laughs as well
bowling
, although I'll admit that they don't all seem quite as memorable and some can be easy to overlook.

Miyamoto wanted the game to be different, and for better AND for worse, it certainly is that. That it's this divisive is really interesting to me.

As someone who skipped all the Paper Mario games, is this worth picking up?

I picked up an XL and have no games and i am debating between this or New Super Mario Bros. 2 and since i just got a Wii-U and Mario U i am kind of leaning towards this one more but all the complaining is kind of putting me off.

Just like with every game the loudest group is always the negative. I've had a blast with the game and if you've skipped all the previous PM games you wouldn't have anything to compare the game too anyways.

Dr.Hadji

Man, the level variety during the later part of the game is pretty sweet. Its pretty cool to select a Mario level on the overworld and then open up in line
for a mine cart ride
or a game
show quiz
or a racing
down the river rapids
while dodging a
huge fish.
And thanks to the great overworld set up, moving between these different levels feels good. Though, I would like the option to exit out of levels that I haven't completed yet. Trecking through a level, finding out I don't have a certain sticker, and traveling all the way back kinda sucks.

Necrovex

I'm not feeling this game, which is pretty darn sad since I adore Paper Mario. Reading up on this thread, it sounds like Miyamoto may have fucked up this game's development. I would love a game that was similar to Thousand Year Door. I really miss the story and the over-world. :-(

Anyway, I decided to toss the game on Amazon, it's time to pick up another IS game...Fire Emblem 12!

Doorman

Though, I would like the option to exit out of levels that I haven't completed yet. Trecking through a level, finding out I don't have a certain sticker, and traveling all the way back kinda sucks.

But...that's always the way it is in Mario games. Can't start -> select out until you've beaten the level once. ;)

Dr.Hadji

I'm not feeling this game, which is pretty darn sad since I adore Paper Mario. Reading up on this thread, it sounds like Miyamoto may have fucked up this game's development. I would love a game that was similar to Thousand Year Door. I really miss the story and the over-world. :-(

Anyway, I decided to toss the game on Amazon, it's time to pick up another IS game...Fire Emblem 12!

Paper Mario games have overworlds now? Can't seem to remember one.

But...that's always the way it is in Mario games. Can't start -> select out until you've beaten the level once. ;)

Sure I know. But typical platforming Mario levels have an easier out to get back to a level select. Usually much shorter, and obviously much more fun to move through. And none of it involves doubling back to get to that one exit.

bart64

Banned
Sonysoft trolls in full effect before the euro release!

For the love of everything good in gaming, don't miss this. The most interesting and engaging rpg game in years. It will rewire your strategy brain in such a way that a permanent grin will develop between the screen and your visual cortex.

Old-school puzzle solving. Convenient travel. Innovative battle mechanics with more consequence. The heart-warming presentation our bodies crave. Music that will make love to your ears. Polish, my brothers; this thing is super shiny, literally.

If you let these copy/paste haters ruin your fun you'll miss out on a major step toward gaming nervana. Seriously. Listen to your gaming soul.

The beginning of World 3 was the first time I've actually chuckled to myself this whole game. Hopefully it'll keep it up from this point forward.

NEO0MJ

Just finished this. Game was definitely not was I was expecting, and probably not what fans wanted, but a good game still. I was worried about the sticker system at first but the more experienced you get with the game and the more stickers you collect the more fun it becomes. Thing stickers especially are fun and pretty hilarious
Going to FPS mode when using the water gun was amazing the first time, especially with its theme

I really liked how the world was and designed and the puzzles. Kresti is probably the best fairy character ever in a Nintendo game, considering that she rarely ever helps you unless you summon her, not to mention her funny comments. Music was also fantastic. Main theme is so nice. Makes me feel all fuzzy inside.

Still, I really miss having a party, towns to visit, non-toad NPC to talk to and a real story.There's also very little to do outside the main game other than collecting stickers for the museum and
Hunting Luigi sightings

eternalb

And you know the bolded part how?

zroid

Banned
fuck Kersti

jb0kjPHwDj2DiD.png

Top Bottom