• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paper Mario: Sticker Star |OT| Delicious Flat Characters

hongcha

This seems to be a pretty divisive game. I either see "it was an amazing game" or "it was terrible". Not much "it was mediocre".

TrueBlue

Speaking of the apparent lack of narrative, didn't the scriptwriter say in Iwata Asks that he was of a similar opinion to Miyamoto in regards to the script before they asked him? I feel it's a little unfair to be pegging all the games problems on him.

watershed

Banned
The game is still packed full of humor despite the lack of a deeper, overall narrative. There's lots of little "skits" and some funny dialogue.

This "Miyamoto ruined Sticker Star!" narrative's going to stick, isn't it?

Sigh.
I loved the dialogue in the PM RPGs but I don't think that kind or depth of narrative is necessary for this type of game. I can't stress enough how much I disliked all the story in SPM. It's not that it was terrible but it just slowed down the game and made the bad gameplay even more painful imo.

Some people clearly liked it a lot and because of that they didn't like this game but it was perfectly handled to me. The usual charm in dialogue was there but in much smaller bite sized pieces throughout the game as opposed to being in and out of every level like in SPM.

It does seem to be another really controversial game though like SPM so maybe IntSys should just give up and go back to making PM RPG games.

Speaking of the apparent lack of narrative, didn't the scriptwriter say in Iwata Asks that he was of a similar opinion to Miyamoto in regards to the script before they asked him? I feel it's a little unfair to be pegging all the games problems on him.

It's easier to blame the name you know than the name you don't know.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
This thread represents an incredibly small portion of the people who bought the game, and I very much doubt are representative of anything besides the Gaf demographic.

threads like this exist for people to post their impression about a game. You can give it the importance you want, but still, it's easier than going out and ask every Sticker Star player what they think about the game

eternalb

threads like this exist for people to post their impression about a game. You can give it the importance you want, but still, it's easier than going out and ask every Sticker Star player what they think about the game

Obviously. My point was that inferring anything from it to apply to the "vast majority" is silly

SirSwirl

Neo Member
Just did the
Mansion
level in World 4, and good god, the puzzles and level design in this game are incredible, that was my favorite level yet, and World 4 as a whole has been so much fun, wow.

The writing in this game is so great too, wow, I've laughed and chuckled at so many instances. I'm loving the whole game so much, such a fun charming adventure, I can't believe how much I'm enjoying this.

I've still yet to use a guide in getting through this, hopefully that'll continue into the last few worlds, as it makes those "oh!" moments when you solve puzzles so fun and satisfying.

eternalb

it's not different at all, it just lacked "on this thread" which was kind of obvious

If it were obvious, I wouldn't have questioned you on it.

it seems like someone's disappointed with it, but there's a vast majority of happy customers.

There is nothing about that statement that suggests you meant for it to apply only to this thread.

Ha, yes we were.

Someone above mentioned the Mansion. That was probably my favorite chapter as well; it's the closest the game came to recapturing the classic PM magic.

Me too, I like the mansion level. It was pretty classic. Probably one of my favorite levels in that game.

The Hermit

Ha, yes we were.

Someone above mentioned the Mansion. That was probably my favorite chapter as well; it's the closest the game came to recapturing the classic PM magic.

Yeah,mansion was the best part of the game, by a fair margin.

I haven't played TTYD, but I enjoyed this one. Its better than super paper, Its quite funny, everything feels more "papery" but I can understand whoever felt a tad disapointed.

NEO0MJ

It's easier to blame the name you know than the name you don't know.

Well, he is the biggest figure at Nintendo, and some decisions he made in recent games made it easier to always put the blame on him. Also, he still was the one that told them to only use classic characters.

CaVaYeRo

Game's out this Friday in Europe and Spanish reviews go up today. Here's mine just in case anyone (who speaks español) wanna know why I think its value and sticker ideas are great, but first half and aliased 3D graphics not so much :(

This seems to be a pretty divisive game. I either see "it was an amazing game" or "it was terrible". Not much "it was mediocre".

I am loving it. The first hour, I hated the transiency of stickers. I was pissed of that I used a big hammer sticker on an airborne enemy and saw it disappear forever. Then it clicked, and the magic is there and it is an amazing experience. Has pretty interesting moments like:
I just got a dead toad to give me a ride in the ski lift. He saluted me monochromatically as I left.

I have had to use a guide twice though, I mean, this game has some pretty missable essentials in my opinion! One such case is
the lightbulb in the Yoshi sphinx
. For some reason I didnt detect it, must not have been paying attention. Then it is necessary at one juncture.

NEO0MJ

Where are the wiggler diary entries located? Which levels?

After getting a Wiggler segment to follow you(when it becomes sad and bends) you take that segment to a certain location where a short scene will occur. After that use the elevator in Wiggler's treehouse to reach the third floor and read the book and a new page will appear. As for locations:

-Take the first segment to 3-6 and stand on the cliff near the green toad.

-Take the second segment to 3-8 and go the poison hot spring.

-Take the third segment to 3-2 and take it to the white flower under the sunlight near the first comet piece.

-Take the fourth segment to Surfshine Harbor and just talk to the boat owner.

If you've already taken a segment to Wiggler before taking it to the above locations then you can't complete this quest. Not that you'll miss anything other than the short story

sammy

Is this another Paper Mario game that is better when not considered as a proper Paper Mario game?

Yea it's probably best to expect something different.

Downloaded this game on launch midnight and have since been casually chipping away at it enjoying the atmosphere. I really don't know what to make of it, the story situations are well written and it's easy to look forward to the next funny scene if you aren't completely stumped.

This game reminds me of what I thought Paper Mario might be way way way back when I saw a screenshot of the first PM in a magazine. But I never anticipated the cryptic puzzles, there's so many walls you run up against and they aren't rewarding to solve. the 'things' feel so out of place, I mean who cares about a box of matches? And on top of that there's no rationality to the size of these 'thing' stickers... For instance the sticker for a box of matches is much larger than a magnifying glass, which doesn't make much sense and caused me to think the giant ones were the puzzle-solving stickers.

I'm still enjoying myself with the game and want to see what else is there, though it's a chore getting through. I can't imagine playing through this one without having your nose buried in a walk-through just to get to the fun.
Super Paper Mario went all out with its own direction, Thousand Year Door was the definition of epic, and Paper Mario was so fresh at the time with its ideas and still is.

I really wanted Sticker Star Story to be some huge adventure with tons of characters but it's kinda' a 3d super mario game with no real platforming and a battle-mode instead of stomps. Just one of those games that everyone is going to have to judge on their own terms, I'm on the fence 'till it gets completed.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
I finished this yesterday. Might be my GOTY. Like a lot of people in this thread, I was worried by a lot of the pre-release impressions, but I bought it anyways ('cause, it's Paper Mario) and was pleased to see that most of the 'issues' were mostly hot air and the result of tight review schedules. I didn't get stuck once, and only had to turn to a guide to complete the Things and Sticker Museum.

As much as I would have loved a full-featured sequel to TTYD, I think Nintendo nailed a perfect formula for handhelds. It was easy to pick up and play whenever I wanted to. I always knew where to go next, always knew that I could blow through a couple of levels while I waited for dinner to cook. It's a great combination of the traditional, level-based Mario games and the RPG elements/structure of the early Paper Mario games, with a smattering of old school adventure games. I really fell in love with the formula.

Now, to decide if I want to go back and play the original Paper Mario on the Wii VC.

Tadale

I finished this yesterday. Might be my GOTY. Like a lot of people in this thread, I was worried by a lot of the pre-release impressions, but I bought it anyways ('cause, it's Paper Mario) and was pleased to see that most of the 'issues' were mostly hot air and the result of tight review schedules. I didn't get stuck once, and only had to turn to a guide to complete the Things and Sticker Museum.

As much as I would have loved a full-featured sequel to TTYD, I think Nintendo nailed a perfect formula for handhelds. It was easy to pick up and play whenever I wanted to. I always knew where to go next, always knew that I could blow through a couple of levels while I waited for dinner to cook. It's a great combination of the traditional, level-based Mario games and the RPG elements/structure of the early Paper Mario games, with a smattering of old school adventure games. I really fell in love with the formula.

Now, to decide if I want to go back and play the original Paper Mario on the Wii VC.

I completely agree. It doesn't have the same structure as TYD, but that's perfectly okay. I've really enjoyed my time with the game – it's probably in my top five games this year.

EDIT: That being said, the complaints about the puzzle solving sometimes being obtuse are completely true, and could sour you if that's something that sounds like it could be an issue for you. Though I think that most people who explore the levels and are willing to experiment shouldn't have that much of a problem.

sammy

I think I just suck at making sense of these puzzles.

Feels dirty, but I pretty much buy all my things/stickers to paste them on some puzzle-spot and if they all fall off I just reset the game before it saves on the world-map.
A lot of my level dots are blue (completed), but there were still story items crinkled up inside of them so that had me stumped too, thinking that I was finished with those levels.
Apparently there's still some "things" i gotta' discover that I'm not aware of.

JeTmAn81

I think it was mediocre. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't good either.

I have dropped it temporarily after not being able to get to the boss of world 2 and finding out I was supposed to have found some hidden stickers, some of which seemed unreasonably difficult to actually have discovered on my own. But so far I have found it just average. Gameplay is decent, there is humor but it isn't especially memorable. The 3D effects are some of the best I've seen in a 3DS title, though. I don't think I'll ever get tired of the Slaphammer effect.

Tadale

I think I just suck at making sense of these puzzles.

Feels dirty, but I pretty much buy all my things/stickers to paste them on some puzzle-spot and if they all fall off I just reset the game before it saves on the world-map.
A lot of my level dots are blue (completed), but there were still story items crinkled up inside of them so that had me stumped too, thinking that I was finished with those levels.
Apparently there's still some "things" i gotta' discover that I'm not aware of.

The game definitely needs a better way to tell you if you have really "completed" a level.

iirc, you have to take a hidden ramp behind one of the trees

/late reply

Yeah, it's on the 3rd level, after you've fallen down the spiderweb. There's a hidden entrance in the very back

Finally figured out the World 3 Wiggler problem

Last stupid Wiggler was behind some bushes in the Holey Thicket.
ARE YOU KIDDING ME???? /3 day relief

Hmmm..
I can't seem to open up world 3-11. And when I get the comet piece in 3-4, the dot doesn't turn blue like it's completed. I've completed all the other worlds up to then and got 3 segments.
This game gives me the same trouble the lego games give me lol

m0t0k1

finally paper mario released over here. Just started playing into world 1-1. I just love the music in this game sounds soooo jazzy. I like the stickers hope there are a lot of them in the game. I am kinda disappointed that there isnt that much of a story in the beginning. but the characters are so charming and the toads are really cute. Tomorrow i will have a lot more time to play, but i am happy with the game could only get better from here on out.

Just was thinking randomly, this is one of those games that would have been even better with an online Miiverse community. Hopefully Nintendo thinks about that in the future....

zroid

Banned
Somehow I've clocked 26 hours and I only just finished World 4

I haven't even really ever gotten lost, or wandered around searching for a puzzle solution. There was really only one time where I was legit "stuck" (missed a Thing I needed, knew what it was, but not where to find it), and I just looked it up.

crispyben

I've never really played an RPG but I'm looking for a game to play on my 3DS on the subway, would this be a good entry point? It seems not to be too deep, which would actually be a plus for me...

m0t0k1

Yo damn the first boss. I didn't have any thing stickers and i got wrecked :lol. Luckily you have a place where you can buy them.

RanoNL

1354798471.jpg

Bought it.

--

Finished World 1-1 Warm Fuzzy Plains. Now I'm stuck at World 1-2 Bouquet Gardens already :)

Boo. It's been a while since I've had a reason to take my 3DS with me.

Anyway, finding the last Toad in the starting area took me longer than it should have. If it wasn't for the games' delightful writing I might have been a little frustrated by my incompetence. Heh.

Tenki

I finally got the game (digital version, I preferred retail, but whatever) :)

During the battles, can I change my target? It seems that I always attack the enemy who is closest to me :\

RanoNL

The battle is pretty basic thus far (I'm at World 1-3 now).

Why shouldn't one avoid the "random" encounters? I don't see the benefit of attacking every Goomba I see. Mario can't level up. They don't drop hot items. And I have plenty of coins and stickers.

Top Bottom