• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paper Mario: Sticker Star |OT| Delicious Flat Characters

Alex

Really? Do you? >_>

Well, it's a comment with some merit, Paper Mario titles are basically total package sort of deals. The complete lack of any form of character progression and any real bites of narrative or humor def make the game feel less rewarding when finishing something off.

The real problem is that there is nothing to compensate for it. While I liked the game, and while it is still better than Super Paper Mario by a fair clip, as the base mechanics and pacing and bite sized, interesting little puzzle levels are fun, it's still missing that spark. There just isn't near enough meat to dig into or challenge to compensate for the omissions and there's also not much new creativity to put those problems on pause.

For a 29.99 little simple and fluffy 3DS RPG, I had fun, though, it was worth the buy...But now if we're going after ideals, give me a Mario and Luigi sequel with a difficulty slider

Pepboy

I can't help but feel like you're maybe giving the "depth" of previous Paper Mario games too much credit here. Your breakdown of individual battles in Sticker Star is nice, but do you really believe that the battles in, say, Thousand Year Door were really any more complex, or rewarding? We could take this and apply it there, too. How many enemies are there? Are they flying (jump), spiked (hammer), or both (hammer throw/spike shield, or star power)? Do I have a partner with an attack that easily exploit these enemies' weaknesses? If so, use it. Done. Factor in not just the normal battle stickers that you find all over the place, but the various classes of Thing stickers and their various properties, and Sticker Star gives you possibly more options within combat and combat-preparation than any other game in the series.

That is completely fair, but I did not mean to compare them to other Paper Marios, but rather turn based combat games in general. I apologize if that's what it sounded like. However, now that you bring it up, I have played Paper Mario 64 and Super Paper Mario. However, I feel Super Mario RPG and the "Mario and Luigi" titles are arguably in the same genre as we see "Mario enters into turn based combat". And yet I feel like there was more progression of character in those titles. Both are shallow-ish relative to the broader set of turn based combat games, but at least they give the illusion of regular battles impacting future decisions.

I agree there are more combat options, in the sense of "number of different attacks". But I don't feel those combat options result in different outcomes. Also, could you please elaborate on what you see as combat-preparation? Are you talking about purchasing stickers at store between levels?

There's been no "equipment" in any of the other Paper Mario games, why is that a problem now? As for levels, what have levels ever gotten you? More hearts (which you now find through careful exploration of the world, which itself is a core focus of this game), or more flower or badge points, which have all been rendered moot by the way sticker progression is handled. Strengthening of your basic attacks were determined by finding better boots or hammers in the other games, all based on story progression. I didn't realize it at first either, but I think the reason this game has no levels or experience points is because everything those levels would have possibly affected are already covered by the stickers themselves. You find stronger stickers and things as you progress, just as you'd find new equipment and badges in the previous games.

Paper Mario has never been a really stat-heavy series, nor is it meant to be. I just find it funny that, for all the time people spend griping about random battles and the tedium of grinding in most JRPGs, here comes a game that has developed an intriguing way to effectively remove needless grind, and people complain about that now instead saying the battles are meaningless. The combat is meant to be fun in and of itself, and make you think about what you have at your disposal in every fight, because your arsenal is constantly changing. If you don't enjoy fighting in a JRPG unless there's some arbitrary number rising afterward, then maybe JRPGs aren't the genre you should be looking into.

You make some good points here, and have shifted me closer to your viewpoint. But could you please elaborate on "The combat is meant to be fun in and of itself"? I see the button timing as kind of mindless fun, and the paper animations are cute. I assume this will fade by world 3 or so, however.

Do you feel you are thinking about what you have at your disposal in every fight? A lot of times I don't really care, because it seems I will be at roughly the same point after the fight as I was before regardless of whether I use a jump attack or a hammer attack. I guess this makes battles only mildly fun (in the ways outlined above) for me.

In stat-driven RPGs, I am at the same point after the fight as I was before, but I am closer to getting more powerful. If I avoid a fight, I will be too weak later on. In PM:SS it's almost the opposite -- you want to avoid common fights so you are strong against boss. Do you feel the same?

Pepboy

No, I would argue that the first two Paper Marios were heavily equipment based--the badges were your equipment. The entire battle system revolved around meticulous planning of your badge loadout. It's pretty much the exact opposite of Sticker Star which feels more like a card game--you play with the hand that you are dealt; you can purchase stickers, but their consumability means that most of your fighting is done with the stickers you find in the levels.

And I am seriously confused by constant references to "grinding" when it comes to the first two Paper Marios--when was the last time you had to actually grind in those games?

And there is an arbitrary number rising after every Sticker Star battle--the game does reward you for fighting, so I don't know what you're getting at. Whether it rewards you enough or not seems to be the argument. And I see nothing flawed with the reasoning that having fun and being justly rewarded for it is better than having fun and being poorly rewarded for it.

An aside on a bit of feedback I have for this game--realizing that there was no end of level coin bonus at the end of boss stages was a serious gut punch. The bosses really are the worst single aspect of this game that I have encountered so far.

I'm not sure if the "grinding" comments are directed to me, as I didn't mean to imply I enjoy grinding. I just enjoy combat resulting in character strength progression. There is indeed an arbitrary number rising after combat -- the coins. I guess the lack of character strength progression makes the combat inherently less fun for me. I bought PM:SS mostly sight-unseen so as to be surprised, but based on the combat I was expecting some amount of combat-driven character growth. Though given it's not Final Fantasy: Paper Mario, I didn't feel my expectations were that high.

Actually rereading your comment, it sounds like we are on similar pages, but if you feel I've misunderstood I am happy to read a more detailed explanation.

Edit: Sorry for posting twice in a row.

Tuck

Conceptually and mechanically, it is deeper than any Paper Mario game to precede it -- unless you consider it in only the shallowest of terms.

This is completely untrue. The game is Paper Mario with nearly (But not all) the depth stripped away from it*.

(*Though to be clear I am enjoying it. It offers an interesting new perspective on an old franchise.)

This is completely untrue. The game is Paper Mario with nearly (But not all) the depth stripped away from it.

I have not even come close to completing it, but if the rest of the game ends up like the portion I've played, this is true. It's a skeleton of a Paper Mario, stripped of its meat with a goofy experimental battle system in an attempt to compensate.

Makes me wonder what the future has in store for the Mario & Luigi series if the boring NSMB styled world use and the very near complete abolishment of unique characters was a decree that came down from Miyamoto.

EktorPR

I'm enjoying this game a lot (up to 3-3, so far) and don't find any of the complaints I've read in this page to be worth your while if you're just looking for a quality Paper Mario adventure. I thought it was common knowledge that each new iteration is their own little experiment, gameplay-wise, and Sticker Star is no different. I believe the art direction is in its highest form, the music is jazzy (!!!) and memorable, and the localization is nothing short of fantastic (subtle puns everywhere). I also really dig the world map and the short, fragmented stages jam-packed with stickers and other secrets. Sure, I loved the "continuous world" of the original, but this structure makes for a better portable experience.

I finally finished this today at 32 hours. Such an incredible game, I can't believe that I almost passed on it just because I didn't care for the last PM game. SS is eveything SPM should have been, I couldn't have enjoyed it more if I tried.

There's still a ton of stuff for me to do post game too since it says I only found 36% of the available stickers types. How could I have missed so many?

I thought it was common knowledge that each new iteration is their own little experiment, gameplay-wise, and Sticker Star is no different.

This has only been true since the third Paper Mario. If it only weren't for that pesky second game I don't think there would be as much anger at this and SPM. (the latter two games' supposed quality or lack there of may have something to do with it as well)

Pepboy

Nah, I was directing the "grinding" thing at Doorman more specifically. I have been mostly in agreement with you, Pepboy.

Ah okay, glad to clear up.

GF been playin and addicted. Played so much she passed my playtime and found a lot more hidden/rare stickers.

I am really glad they added multiple save files. These days single save files seem silly or marketing gimmick (looking at you, Pokemon).

I'm enjoying this game a lot (up to 3-3, so far) and don't find any of the complaints I've read in this page to be worth your while if you're just looking for a quality Paper Mario adventure. I thought it was common knowledge that each new iteration is their own little experiment, gameplay-wise, and Sticker Star is no different. I believe the art direction is in its highest form, the music is jazzy (!!!) and memorable, and the localization is nothing short of fantastic (subtle puns everywhere). I also really dig the world map and the short, fragmented stages jam-packed with stickers and other secrets. Sure, I loved the "continuous world" of the original, but this structure makes for a better portable experience.

I actually agree with you. It's a quality Paper Mario adventure game. The puzzles are mostly good. I also second the comments about art style and music. I'm also on board with comment about fragmented world map -- I actually much prefer this than traversing the entire world to get back to town.

My disappointed probably stemmed from expecting it to be more RPG oriented. I'm not a huge fan of adventure games (e.g. I am a little bored with Walking Dead despite it apparently being top notch for the genre).

zroid

Banned
This is completely untrue. The game is Paper Mario with nearly (But not all) the depth stripped away from it*.

(*Though to be clear I am enjoying it. It offers an interesting new perspective on an old franchise.)

The "depth" is different. It's a different game, as you say. You're right -- they pretty much stripped away whatever minimal depth was present in previous Paper Mario games, and replaced it with a unique and robust resource management system, and battles that place several severe limitations upon you. As a result, the choices you make within battles are more significant than they ever were. There is some strategy in maintaining a well-rounded sticker book at all times, however in general you often have what you need -- except for Thing stickers, I suppose. Where this game shines (no pun intended) is in how you choose to engage in battles. When is it smart/helpful to use the battle spinner? When do you use weaker stickers and when do you use shinier ones? It gets especially complicated when you are thrown multiple different enemy types with different weaknesses and lined up in different orders. I find myself spending several minutes planning out how to engage in tougher battles before using my first sticker. That is "depth".

Do you HAVE to do that? No, not really. You can run away, you can avoid battles, you can just pound them with your strongest stickers, or take a beating and whittle their HP down with multiple stickers over several turns. It's not really different from most RPGs, though. You can plan out careful strategies to take down enemies, or you can just grind for a while and clobber everyone with regular attacks.

What's important to realize is the "simple" way of playing PMSS is different from traditional RPGs. How deep you want to get into it is your choice. What you get out of the game will vary depending on those choices.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I finally finished this today at 32 hours. Such an incredible game, I can't believe that I almost passed on it just because I didn't care for the last PM game. SS is eveything SPM should have been, I couldn't have enjoyed it more if I tried.

Maybe this is the sort of thing where if you liked SPM then you'd hate this, and visa versa. I do love the music and the environments. And the secrets are all pretty well hidden which make them pretty fun to find.

But the actual combat in this game is so boring and unrewarding that I can't bring myself to do the amount of backtracking and searching that this game wants you to do. And running away from each and every enemy gets tiresome after awhile. I just don't find most item management fun, and this game is obviously 100% item management.

Maybe if some items was really worth using, and were hard to come by, and there was no carry limit, then I'd enjoy that aspect more, but here it's just annoying. I guess SPM got criticized for not having enough item management too, but that didn't bother me as much as too much item management.

I also miss the great scripts that almost all of the other mario rpg's had. No buddies to have mario partner up with makes the entire story just feel non-existent. I know SPM got a lot of complaints for too much text, but I really liked most of it.

I don't know if i can bring myself to continue in the game much further.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
When is it smart/helpful to use the battle spinner?

Whenever you feel you'd rather spend the money instead of waiting through another enemy turn? Its not like you have to worry about health, because if you're good at running away from enemies you'll never get close to running out of HP before finding a heart block/pickup. And if you do come close to dieing you're just a mushroom sticker away from being back in shape.

When do you use weaker stickers and when do you use shinier ones?

The answer is you never should have weaker stickers because you'll find so many stronger stickers in the environment. And you'll save so many of the more powerful stuff by never engaging in battles that your sticker book will be completely full of shiney's all the time.

Do you HAVE to do that? No, not really. You can run away, you can avoid battles

Yes you can avoid battles. In fact you should avoid battles. You will always end your current objective quicker, and with the better sticker book if you avoid all battles. Yeah you'll have more coins at the end if you fight, but while you battle and then buy back normal stickers, I'll have every spot full of shiney stickers that I rarely have to use, and still a sizable enough bank just in case.

Do you honestly not avoid battles at all times?

Pepboy

The "depth" is different. It's a different game, as you say. You're right -- they pretty much stripped away whatever minimal depth was present in previous Paper Mario games, and replaced it with a unique and robust resource management system, and battles that place several severe limitations upon you. As a result, the choices you make within battles are more significant than they ever were. There is some strategy in maintaining a well-rounded sticker book at all times, however in general you often have what you need -- except for Thing stickers, I suppose. Where this game shines (no pun intended) is in how you choose to engage in battles. When is it smart/helpful to use the battle spinner? When do you use weaker stickers and when do you use shinier ones? It gets especially complicated when you are thrown multiple different enemy types with different weaknesses and lined up in different orders. I find myself spending several minutes planning out how to engage in tougher battles before using my first sticker. That is "depth".

Do you HAVE to do that? No, not really. You can run away, you can avoid battles, you can just pound them with your strongest stickers, or take a beating and whittle their HP down with multiple stickers over several turns. It's not really different from most RPGs, though. You can plan out careful strategies to take down enemies, or you can just grind for a while and clobber everyone with regular attacks.

What's important to realize is the "simple" way of playing PMSS is different from traditional RPGs. How deep you want to get into it is your choice. What you get out of the game will vary depending on those choices.

Ah, okay. I feel like I can understand what you meant now. I am glad you are motivated and enjoy contemplating which stickers to use at different times to really optimize attacks given your sticker collection. I agree that, if I also cared about that, the battle system would be pretty deep. I guess I look for the game to help motivate me, and I feel PM:SS fails a bit in that regard (for me personally).

Okay, I think I'll stop posting in this thread for a while, but it was a nice conversation and I feel like I got to experience more viewpoints as a result. Thank you all. Please feel free to PM me if anyone wants to continue conversation.

I actually fight a lot, sometimes engaging every enemy I can find. Usually I come out ahead in coins after a battle, which is good in case I need to use the spinner a lot. The number of coins earned upon reaching the goal seems to be related to the number of enemies killed, so that seems to be more reason to fight. I also tend to win a lot of free stickers for perfecting a battle, and enemies like pokeys and prianha plants tend to drop fire flowers on death, so that's a good trade for two jumps or two hammers imo.

I never see anyone avoid every fight even if they complain about it, it's pretty funny really.

Probably would say avoid from going stickers do the same damage, because you might as well tack that as a series issue and not game specific really.

Going through motions? Welcome to games really. Especially RPGs, where it gets tiring after a while to the point that you'll run away anyway regardless of its benefits. Although to be fair, that's my biggest issue with TTYD (in terms of progression) but I've made that clear earlier.

Enemies generally waste time, going through the motions pretty much happens in Paper Mario games regardless of what "depth" is being portrayed, and generally slower too.

Vibed

Whenever you feel you'd rather spend the money instead of waiting through another enemy turn? Its not like you have to worry about health, because if you're good at running away from enemies you'll never get close to running out of HP before finding a heart block/pickup. And if you do come close to dieing you're just a mushroom sticker away from being back in shape.

It's all about that perfect bonus man, that's the logic. Deciding to use the battle spinner or not depending on whether you think you can make it with or without it.

I actually got nearly 500 perfect bonuses by the end and got the achievement super flag with only a bit of grinding. Part of my motivation, actually.

The answer is you never should have weaker stickers because you'll find so many stronger stickers in the environment. And you'll save so many of the more powerful stuff by never engaging in battles that your sticker book will be completely full of shiney's all the time.

My book was full of shineys even after battling.

Yes you can avoid battles. In fact you should avoid battles. You will always end your current objective quicker, and with the better sticker book if you avoid all battles. Yeah you'll have more coins at the end if you fight, but while you battle and then buy back normal stickers, I'll have every spot full of shiney stickers that I rarely have to use, and still a sizable enough bank just in case.

I fought every enemy I saw. You earn back stickers for fighting well and get coins to spend on awesome thing stickers and the like. Experimentation is the name of the game, which is achieved by battling
or backtracking a fuckton
, you get plenty of regular stickers in the environment like you said anyways.

I think jamming in that stickers aren't important into people's heads might help. They're one time use, they have little value from selling, go nuts, but be careful.

pulga

Banned
Guys is my game fucked or did I just miss something? I've cleared every level in world 3 (every circle is blue), except for 3-12. I've resorted to a guide in my sheer frustration and supposedly the last wiggler piece is supposed to show up by the dock in 3-12. Problem is it didn't. At Wiggler's house, he's only got 3 pieces. What the fuck do I do, what did I miss?

Edit: Nevermind, found two piece of shit Bloopers raping the Wiggler behind some bushes in 3-11.

Guys, I'm stuck in world 3-4.
I've gone through the whole level to the end and got the comet piece and chased the segment, but it's disappeared and I can't find it, even after hammering all the trees. Where and how do I get the segment?

RM8

This is not only my personal GOTY, but I can't remember the last time I enjoyed a game this much, I swear (not that I haven't loved any games recently, but not -this- much). Have been sleeping until really late playing this, it's incredibly fun and charming, amazing job by Intelligent Systems.

Parallacs

Guys, I'm stuck in world 3-4.
I've gone through the whole level to the end and got the comet piece and chased the segment, but it's disappeared and I can't find it, even after hammering all the trees. Where and how do I get the segment?

I just had this problem last night.
he's in a bush on the right side of the first or second screen. Start hammering behind bushes.

Doorman

Sorry about the lateness of replies. I wasn't trying to throw gas onto the conversation and then run, I just happened to catch a few last comments just before going to bed, and didn't really have time to sift through replies.

No, I would argue that the first two Paper Marios were heavily equipment based--the badges were your equipment. The entire battle system revolved around meticulous planning of your badge loadout. It's pretty much the exact opposite of Sticker Star which feels more like a card game--you play with the hand that you are dealt; you can purchase stickers, but their consumability means that most of your fighting is done with the stickers you find in the levels.

That's a fair way to put it, and I do agree that Sticker Star is far more reliant on the "find the best way to work with what you currently have." I'm still not sure I'd necessarily give the edge in battle system to Thousand-Year Door though. I liked some of the aspects of TYD that harken closer to more prototypical JRPGs, like having partner characters (though only one), and being able to select your target for each attack. Sticker Star's battle system feels more unique and more interesting to me, though, and while at first blush I too didn't like what felt like oversimplifying things, I came to see after thinking about it that the decisions make sense, so long as you approach the game from a slightly different mindset than before.

I'll get to more of that in a broader sense in a second.

I agree there are more combat options, in the sense of "number of different attacks". But I don't feel those combat options result in different outcomes. Also, could you please elaborate on what you see as combat-preparation? Are you talking about purchasing stickers at store between levels?
Part of it is thinking about what battle stickers to bring into a level, or even prioritizing which ones you want to collect or pass on when you just traverse the world (I, for instance, am awful at the Eekhammer timing, so I tend not to keep them around even though there are times when you can potentially rack up better damage with them than other hammer stickers). The bigger deal here is the preparation and use of Things. There are enough Things in the game, and enough that have functionally the same effect with differing levels of strength, that I think of them in a manner similar to Star powers in previous games: powerful attacks or items that you tend to save up for tough spots, but shouldn't really fret over using up if you want to. What makes it trickier is that some Things are used not just for combat, but puzzle solving, and that combined with the finite amount of album space means you want to consider how many Things and of which types you'll want to keep space reserved for, and how desperate you get to use them and finish a fight quickly.

Do you feel you are thinking about what you have at your disposal in every fight? A lot of times I don't really care, because it seems I will be at roughly the same point after the fight as I was before regardless of whether I use a jump attack or a hammer attack. I guess this makes battles only mildly fun (in the ways outlined above) for me.

In stat-driven RPGs, I am at the same point after the fight as I was before, but I am closer to getting more powerful. If I avoid a fight, I will be too weak later on. In PM:SS it's almost the opposite -- you want to avoid common fights so you are strong against boss. Do you feel the same?
I guess I don't feel quite the same way, at least in the sense that you're left "stronger" for the bosses by not fighting other enemies. You are right that finishing a battle and collecting ten coins may not feel as immediately important as finishing a fight and being 25 exp closer to leveling up, but for the way the combat in this game works, the function is mostly the same in that you gain a resource you can use to help you (both through the battle spinner and clearing the enemy out so you can continue). But, you know what...you are right, fighting normal mobs is not as important in this game as other RPGs. But I don't mind that, because I think common fights aren't supposed to be all that important. Fights are designed to go quickly, and levels capable of being breezed through if necessary. It is a portable game, after all.

More important than that, and this is something that I believe I mentioned earlier in the topic, is the thought that at its core, Sticker Star really isn't so much an RPG as it is an Adventure game with RPG trimmings. How you gain strength in this game isn't through fighting, but by thoroughly exploring the levels (to find HP bonuses), and clearing through levels (to get to later levels that house more powerful stickers, and unlock album pages by beating bosses). Character progression is measured here far more by exploration and progressing the game itself, rather than fighting everyone. Battling, especially the boss fights, play out like puzzles.

The biggest theme behind the game, be it for puzzles or combat, boils down to the basic questions: What stickers do I have at my disposal? What is the best sticker to use in this situation, and (for bosses) when is the best time to use it? That mantra, along with a careful examination of the settings you traverse, are what drive the game forward.

My disappointed probably stemmed from expecting it to be more RPG oriented. I'm not a huge fan of adventure games (e.g. I am a little bored with Walking Dead despite it apparently being top notch for the genre).
...Which explains why you've felt so underwhelmed by the game when other people have enjoyed it. It's secretly a game in a genre that you don't personally like much. It's not the game that I expected (or necessarily wanted) either, and it's hardly flawless, but I have been enjoying it.

Boogiepop

Just wrapped up the game and filled up the museum. Could still grind for all the flags on the right side, but it just doesn't feel worth it to me, especially as I'm only at about half way (and I've fought pretty much everything!)

Definitely a fun little game with plenty of charm. It really is a different sort of take on an RPG, with a higher focus on resource management instead of grinding. It's pretty cool to see that you "level up" by getting more space and access to better stickers. There were definitely a few weird quirks here and there (kinda disappointed to see that
world 5 steps down from world 4's "all shiny yay!" and goes back to normal stickers
). And I feel like the whole system with Things, while cool, could have used a reworking so you don't get stuck waiting out an unwinnable/ridiculous battle boss because you didn't bring the right Thing, or even worse having to run back from a level to the starting town because you didn't bring the necessary Thing for a puzzle. And of course, though the humor present here was still great, the game felt super thin on text (though I guess that'd be a reaction to the people who complained the games had too much text?)

Still, it was definitely a great little game, and one that really felt like it was trying something different. And it felt just like that to me. Not better, not worse, just different, which was kind of interesting. I'd actually love to see a sequel that's maybe a hybrid between this and a TTYD/PM type system, maybe bring back badges and perhaps partners (somehow) while keeping the same system or something.

Oh, and one last question: what DOES the game do when you run out of stickers? I never had that happen, but now that I think about it I'm kind of curious.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
At this point, I do feel the game's divisiveness due to the game really standing at a crossroads of genres, and potentially deceiving comers from all sides.

I'm far enough into it now that I believe it is something that hasn't really existed before: it's a take on Super Mario World with the heavily customized, one-off stage design of Mario Galaxy. Combined with turn based enemy combat. Where said combat is totally optional and the game can be played along a sliding scale between graphic adventure/platformer and RPG grinder. It really is up to the player for how they wish to balance their experience, with a calculated trade-off if taken to either extreme. (Avoid all battles / get stuck at mid-bosses and bosses, be perpetually low on funds. Grind every battle, enjoy a huge wallet of money but deal with slow progress / lots of inventory and supply buy/sell management.)

I feel this original construction works out better as a game than Super Paper Mario's attempt at originality.

My gut instinct is that over time this game will be seen much more kindly than Super Paper Mario if only because it's not a complete pain in the ass to actually play (and I say this as someone who can actually find SPM enjoyable in the right frame of mind). I also feel it may have ended up being a good design for a meaty, deep portable game as opposed to a shallow console RPG. I'm not sure it would have been a good fit for say, a big budget Wii U version. But it feels very much at home on a handheld.

Maybe this is the sort of thing where if you liked SPM then you'd hate this, and visa versa. I do love the music and the environments. And the secrets are all pretty well hidden which make them pretty fun to find.

But the actual combat in this game is so boring and unrewarding that I can't bring myself to do the amount of backtracking and searching that this game wants you to do. And running away from each and every enemy gets tiresome after awhile. I just don't find most item management fun, and this game is obviously 100% item management.

Maybe if some items was really worth using, and were hard to come by, and there was no carry limit, then I'd enjoy that aspect more, but here it's just annoying. I guess SPM got criticized for not having enough item management too, but that didn't bother me as much as too much item management.

I also miss the great scripts that almost all of the other mario rpg's had. No buddies to have mario partner up with makes the entire story just feel non-existent. I know SPM got a lot of complaints for too much text, but I really liked most of it.

I don't know if i can bring myself to continue in the game much further.
Strangely, as much as I love the game I can see that it's not for everyone. I really like the battle system and the strategy of deciding which sticker(s) to use in each situation. I never really ran fom battles
unless the story called for it
and I think that's an important aspect of enjoying the game. The more you fight, the more coins and stickers you get so it becomes the exchange for experience from the previous RPGs.

If you don't like the battle system (and it sounds like you didn't) there's just no way that you'll ever enjoy the game. That's basically the foundation of the gameplay system and if you spend the game avoiding battles you'll most likely miss hidden thing items which will just make the game even more frustrating.

Maybe I was just lucky but I managed to find all the things that were required to progress through the game on my first playthough the levels so I never had to backtrack to search for them. There were a few instances where I didn't have the right thing in the levels but all I had to do was leave the level, stickerize the thing (or buy it back from the market first) and then return to the level to solve the puzzle. A lot of the puzzles even had really clever clues hidden in the environment
how many people noticed the outlet at the oasis puzzle or the fact that the giant pokey boss fight was taking place inside a baseball stadium?
so a big part of enjoying the game came from taking the time to really take in everything around you and notice when something seemed out of place.

I really like what Intsys did with this game to the point that I wouldn't mind a direct sequel as much as I'd like another true RPG.

zroid

Banned
Finally had my fill of Crashmo and Wii U so I'm back to playing this. That world 3 boss / Whitecap Beach music. WOW!

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I would just like to say that I love this game, and it is probably the most beautiful looking game on the 3DS, and possibly in the universe.

GWX

Guys, I have a question regarding World 3 and puzzle solving, so I'll spoiler tag it.

I found the first part of wiggler's body, and now the only places I can go, in World 3, are the first two stages of the world, Wiggler's Treehouse and 3-4 and 3-5. Since the world tells me there's no hidden goal in 3-2 and 3-1, I didn't bother checking those places (although I should, maybe a part of Wiggler's body is somewhere around those parts). I don't know what to do in 3-5 (I can't jump over the river to get to the goal, and the toad on the cliff in 3-6 tells me there was a bridge there once), and since paperize doesn't even allow me to place a sticker or scrap in the gap, I gave up and figured out I can't do anything about that for now. Since 3-4 is the last logical place to go (thus, ignoring worlds 4, 5 and 6 - yeah, I already defeated Cheep Cheep), and I don't know what "thing sticker" to use to take those pins down, even it should be pretty obvious, I ask: Should I have the "thing" required to solve the puzzle or it is hidden inside some blue door? I don't want to replay every single stage, opening all the blue doors, without knowing if it is the right way to go, and I fear I am overlooking something. I'm going to play more tomorrow and, who knows, maybe I'll figure it out, but I'll appreciate any help! Just don't spoil me the solution, please ;)

Doorman

Guys, I have a question regarding World 3 and puzzle solving, so I'll spoiler tag it.

Being vague, there is a way to clear 3-5 and it doesn't require the use of any Thing stickers to do it. I was stuck there for quite a while too, it's one of those cases where the answer feels like it should be really obvious once you see it. It involves finding a way to move along the river and using that to reach a spot you can't get to otherwise.

Since this is the only thing out I may download it after finals week. I'm not a fan of RPGs in general but I liked the previous Mario RPG games.

GWX

Being vague, there is a way to clear 3-5 and it doesn't require the use of any Thing stickers to do it. I was stuck there for quite a while too, it's one of those cases where the answer feels like it should be really obvious once you see it. It involves finding a way to move along the river and using that to reach a spot you can't get to otherwise.

Haha, I gave up around 10 minutes ago and saw a walkthrough. But thank you for the help, anyway :)

fucking invisible blocks... I'm used to use the hammer to reveal invisible blocks, so I didn't think of jumping from the leaf to reveal them. Goddamn, I was so pissed off when I saw it was so simple!

Doorman

Haha, I gave up around 10 minutes ago and saw a walkthrough. But thank you for the help, anyway :)

By the way, as far as I'm aware, none of the Things acquired by going through "Secret Doors" are ones that you'll ever need for overworld puzzle-solving. A lot of them tend to be variations on the Things you uncover normally within levels and I think they're mostly meant to act as power-moves in battle.

Boogiepop

By the way, as far as I'm aware, none of the Things acquired by going through "Secret Doors" are ones that you'll ever need for overworld puzzle-solving. A lot of them tend to be variations on the Things you uncover normally within levels and I think they're mostly meant to act as power-moves in battle.

Does the faucet or something act as a good enough substitute
for the water-gun in the Boo battle?

zashga

Finished Sticker Star today, and I still really like it! The final boss battle was pretty intense, and the
ending parade
was a nice throwback to past Paper Mario games. Overall, SS has the series best implementation of the paper theming, with folding, tearing, crumpling, flopping over, and the oddly satisfying sticker peeling. The paper-and-cardboard look is really great, as is the saxophone-laden soundtrack. The game's only real weakness is that there are fewer characters and less dialog than previous Paper Mario games. That extends to villains, too; some of the baddies in TYD were super memorable. SS's world-end bosses, not so much. Also, some of the puzzles are pretty old-fashioned in a way that may make people consult an FAQ or forum more than they would like.

Overall, Paper Mario edges out Kid Icarus as my favorite 3DS game this year. Now, on to Crashmo.

I just finished the game today. My playtime was 20:38. The final boss was challenging if only you have the right stickers. The game is decent, but I still prefer the rpg element with partners like Paper Mario 64. I'm not saying that Sticker Star sucks, but I just like Paper Mario in an rpg element where you level up, find partners, and using badges for your attacks.

Seguin

Banned
Man this game kicks ass. Sure it's not an RPG at all, which was quite disappointing to me at the start, but being a puzzle/adventure time it's great. World 2 was very challenging to figure out, that damn treasure piece in 2-1...fuck you! I also like how pretty much every enemy you fight, bosses included, is a puzzle you need to figure out. Like jumping on koopas and then using them to clear all the other enemies. Boss fights are really good too.

Chatin

Want to avoid using any walkthroughs or supplimentary resources, but it gets frustrating when the game doesn't help guide you on the more needle-in-a-haystack sort of situations. I feel like a lot of the thing puzzles should play more like Scibblenauts, but the game is very specific about which heat providing thing can be used for a particular puzzle. My most recent dead end is trying to figure out the thing needed for a puzzle near the end of World 5. And Kersti's "advice" is pretty useless. Half the items don't have proper descriptions so you just use them in battle and see what they do. Terrible design choice when they are single-use items.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
It's weird; I would agree the biggest problem the game has is that Kersti is the anti-Fi. From constant nagging to actually under-servicing the player. There could have been a little more context sensitive help from Kersti, including hints on special stickers.

Chatin

"Want some advice? Where could the 2nd wiggler segment be hiding?" If you're asking me, it isn't really advice, is it?

Top Bottom