• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paradox Grand Strategy - Thread of Fighting WW2 as Bithynia

ag-my001

Thanks for the clarification. I guess the vagueness of the tooltip in the 'Declare War' tab had me confused. I read it as "if you aren't the de jure liege or they aren't your family, then you'll put them in power but not under your control". I may have done this in my early games without landing them first, so it worked out like it reads. This should help my expansions into Scotland and Ireland very much.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Thanks for the clarification. I guess the vagueness of the tooltip in the 'Declare War' tab had me confused. I read it as "if you aren't the de jure liege or they aren't your family, then you'll put them in power but not under your control". I may have done this in my early games without landing them first, so it worked out like it reads. This should help my expansions into Scotland and Ireland very much.
Just because you land them doesn't mean you're their De Jure liege unless your title is also the De Jure liege of whatever territory you're giving them. This is very tricky to figure out and you might be giving away a huge duchy to someone who'll go ahead and split off and form his own country. For example, I am the Emperor of Scandinavia. I press a claim for the Duchy of Essex in the name of one of my vassals. When I win the war, Essex gets freed from whoever owned them before (probably the British Empire) but it doesn't become a part of my empire, because the Duchy of Essex is not, de jure, part of the Empire of Scandinavia, which is my primary title.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
I have no idea what de jure liege means exactly, but the title which you press for a landed vassal should be incorporated into your realm. Just to illustrate, I started a new game as the Holy Roman Emperor and invited a character with a strong claim on the duchy of Portucale to my realm:
0A6E369552DB61959668F0354449BEFA12FEECCB
I give him the county of Bamberg:
And then press his claim. Once I win the war (in this case, I used console commands), the Duchy of Portucale is now a part of the HRE:
I don't know if there are exceptions to this general rule.

Haly

I have to admit I'm not very good at this either, I might have made a simple mistake as pressing the claim of an unlanded vassal.

I'm inclined to trust your practical experiment though.

Mgoblue201

Victoria 2 is the most conceptually brilliant Paradox game, but it's also probably the most arcane. It's not a difficult game to learn, but a lot of frustrating things can occur without any explicable reason - factories closing, revenue falling precipitously, rebels organizing in your country - unless you take the time to understand the game's economic and population systems. Victoria 2 also suffers from an opaque interface which is more emblematic of the older Paradox titles than the newer ones. However, if you can get beyond the lack of transparency, Victoria 2 is still a great game, particularly if you have some affinity for the time period or want a game of economic and political depth. A House Divided and Heart of Darkness are both essential expansions; Victoria 2 has made enormous strides since its release and the two expansions are a large reason for it.

szaromir

Banned
Victoria 2 is the most conceptually brilliant Paradox game, but it's also probably the most arcane. It's not a difficult game to learn, but a lot of frustrating things can occur without any explicable reason - factories closing, revenue falling precipitously, rebels organizing in your country - unless you take the time to understand the game's economic and population systems. Victoria 2 also suffers from an opaque interface which is more emblematic of the older Paradox titles than the newer ones. However, if you can get beyond the lack of transparency, Victoria 2 is still a great game, particularly if you have some affinity for the time period or want a game of economic and political depth. A House Divided and Heart of Darkness are both essential expansions; Victoria 2 has made enormous strides since its release and the two expansions are a large reason for it.
Yes, the time period is very appealing to me, I love XIX century literature so I have a lot of background on that era. BTW are all those piecemeal art expansions worth getting (at $.4 each?). I buy them for Crusaders Kings 2 and am fairly satisfied with them (they add flavor when playing different cultures), but overall I hate that Paradox sells them separately instead of incorporating them into the main expansions...

I'm starting my Venice campaign in CK2 (in 866), it's the first time I'm playing as a trade republic family, anything I should know before realizing I made some fatal errors 200 years into the game?;)

ag-my001

I was thinking of doing the same thing. After looking at an overview, I'd say always keep extra gold on hand for mercs or to sway an election. Also, a doge can't steal trade posts, so plan ahead and act quickly if it looks like you're about to become the doge.

I was thinking of creating a merchant republic to play as, assuming the path of granting a duchy to a mayor still works. Any suggestions? Maybe something on the Iberian peninsula or the north of France?

Edit: Decided to go with a Republic of Wessex game, with my Doge being good ol' Alfred the Pretty Nifty. He was down-graded from "Great" due to only having three daughters while I worked to create the republic with his brother, but he's still in his early 30s and has a lover.

Mgoblue201

Yes, the time period is very appealing to me, I love XIX century literature so I have a lot of background on that era. BTW are all those piecemeal art expansions worth getting (at $.4 each?). I buy them for Crusaders Kings 2 and am fairly satisfied with them (they add flavor when playing different cultures), but overall I hate that Paradox sells them separately instead of incorporating them into the main expansions...
I never did buy any of the unit and sprite packs in Victoria 2 because the graphical detail is too low to really appreciate them (by contrast, the unit packs in CK2 and EU4 add a lot of distinctiveness to the game). But I would recommend buying both the base game and the two expansions. A House Divided introduced some essential mechanics such as war justifications and popular movements. Heart of Darkness made some strides toward a more transparent and fulfilling experience (particularly reworking the broken war score system), while also introducing the fun crisis mechanic and new colonial system.

ZZMitch

So new games announced from PI, reveal coming the 23rd?!

Project Nero (Rome 2?) and Project Armstrong (Space?)

Project Nero teaser pic:
attachment.php

Walshicus

Hmm... Wonder if Nero is going to be a timeline extension for CK2 to go back to the Roman timeframe? The CK2 mechanics could still work for Rome.

Hmm... Wonder if Nero is going to be a timeline extension for CK2 to go back to the Roman timeframe? The CK2 mechanics could still work for Rome.

Stretching feudal mechanics to represent Rome is a bit much. CK2 doesn't even represent Byzantium's government structure very well. They'd have to change enough that it'd make more sense just to make it it's own game.

Walshicus

Stretching feudal mechanics to represent Rome is a bit much. CK2 doesn't even represent Byzantium's government structure very well. They'd have to change enough that it'd make more sense just to make it it's own game.

Hmm, I don't really agree. The core of CK2 is the character interaction system. Everything else flows from it. Colonisable provinces and a senate system would pretty much be all that's required to bring it into the CK2 fold. It'd be a big DLC, but nothing about it seems un-doable within the current game.

Hmm, I don't really agree. The core of CK2 is the character interaction system. Everything else flows from it. Colonisable provinces and a senate system would pretty much be all that's required to bring it into the CK2 fold. It'd be a big DLC, but nothing about it seems un-doable within the current game.

The problem with Rome 1 was that it was a re-skinned EU3 that felt really basic. I'd want a better representation of the time period than CK2 DLC would give us.

If Nero is Rome II and Armstrong ParadoxSpace I will never leave my computer. Hope ParadoxSpace and Rome II have some of the character features of CK2 and EU4. I wanna be my own little version of Caesar or Muad'Dib ;D

Clevinger

So new games announced from PI, reveal coming the 23rd?!

Project Nero (Rome 2?) and Project Armstrong (Space?)

Project Nero teaser pic:
attachment.php

@producerjohan
Just to make what me, @TheWesterFront & @ShamsJorjani have said lots of times. Rome2 is not one of the projects we are announcing now..
@producerjohan 21h
I like teasing and trolling with announcements, but the Rome fans deserve to avoid getting their hopes crushed this time..

:(

I'm guessing Game of Thrones.

Almighty

I am sure some have the opposite opinion, but I could really dig a paradox fantasy game. I will have to try to remember to keep my eye out for news on these new games now.

Playing HPP mod. Huge pocket. Not sure how many divisions trapped inside. But it's gotta be a LOT. Probably 2 armies worth or more. For reference the line where there are no troops is marshes that can't be supplied or moved through.

EDIT: 72 divisions, not counting the 3 I destroyed creating the pocket. And also not counting HQs, which do actually contain some manpower. So 3 armies worth of Soviet troops.

Mr.Mike

Paradox has been posting hints everyday leading up to the announcement tommorow. I figure I'll post them here since I don't think anyone has done so yet. There are two unannounced titles.

Project Nero:
1. There will be fire & darkness.
2. Is this a troll attempt?
3. There are no provinces in this game.
4. Clausewitz as you would never have thought possible.
5. What does the Skald say?
6. This will be a giant announcement

Project Armstrong:
1. We will have ships!
2. There will be a rocket on a loading screen.
3. n/t
4. There will be deep technologytrees!
5. There is politics and espionage.
6. Sweden is on the map

EDIT: The games have already been announced but I've added the 6th hints anyway for completeness.

Kabouter

Fantasy and space games I suppose would be my guess, not interested in any way in fantasy, possibly interested in space, but maybe not, depends on the gameplay.

Mr.Mike

Fantasy and space games I suppose would be my guess, not interested in any way in fantasy, possibly interested in space, but maybe not, depends on the gameplay.

I don't think they would launch two new IP's at the same time, although I might be underestimating the amount financial risk Paradox is willing to take. It really seems to me that Project Armstrong is Hearts of Iron IV, which is exciting to me because I'd like to play HoI, but if a new one is coming out I'd rather just wait for the new one.

Project Nero might be more interesting. What with "no provinces" and "Clausewitz as you never thought possible" it seems like it might be a major departure away from their usual formula and towards something more like Civilization. They've already shown with Conquest of Paradise that they have interest in randomized worlds. Project Nero might be a weird and exciting 4X/Grand Strategy hybrid with fantasy window dressing.

Project Armstrong:
1. We will have ships!
2. There will be a rocket on a loading screen.
3. n/t
4. There will be deep technologytrees!
5. There is politics and espionage.

Hearts of Iron IV

Ships = naval ships
Rockets = V2s
HoI3 has probably the largest most unwieldy tech tree so that fits
Politics and espionage are staples of the series.

zoku88

Maybe I will finally learn how to play a HOI game

Nero is obviously a fantasy action adventure game. Clausewitz is obviously that versatile.

ZZMitch

Maybe I will finally learn how to play a HOI game

Nero is obviously a fantasy action adventure game. Clausewitz is obviously that versatile.

You are right about Nero, Paradox just announced Runemaster (fantasy RPG) at their convention.

edit: and Hearts of Iron IV confirmed!

Mr.Mike

You are right about Nero, Paradox just announced Runemaster (fantasy RPG) at their convention.

edit: and Hearts of Iron IV confirmed!

They've also announced expansions for EUIV and CK2!

From twitter
quill18 said:
#pdxcon CK2 RAJAS OF INDIA -- map expanding to cover India! 50% larger. 300+ provinces.

Ryan Letourneau said:
#pdxcon eu4 wealth of nations, upcoming expansion with more diplomacy options, trade companies, and more

Haly

Most excited for Runemaster, I don't know anything about HoI and I prefer EU4 over CK2 anyway.

Haly

Most excited for Wealth of Nations, also really excited for Hearts of Iron IV. Not in any way excited for CK2 DLC or Runemaster.

They still need to let me play as the Mongols at the height of their power.

Give me Mongolia Universalis plz.

Fitz

Outside of Runemaster (need more info), that all sounds sweet, especially HO4, been wanting to get into the series for a while.

Walshicus

Okay, Rajas of India and Wealth of Nations has tempered my disappointment with these announcements a tad.

Maybe I just need to start working on that Star Trek mod for EU IV I've been wanting to make for ages now.

Mr.Mike

Some more details and impressions on Hearts of Iron IV

http://www.pcgamesn.com/hearts-iron-4-preview-high-command

Everything they’ve done is about letting you focus on the big picture without getting dragged down into the minutiae of factory management and requisitions...

You can draw detailed campaign plans right on the map with just a few strokes of the mouse. With a few more button presses, you can divide your plans into distinct phases, set air support priorities, and objective markers. The AI will handle all the planning and preparation for those campaigns, shifting units into the theater until you give the order, and then your blitzkrieg commences like clockwork...

You see, it’s important to draw up war plans because units get bonuses if they have time to reach their jump-off points and prepare for the attack. You are weaker if you order units around at a whim, so you plan and prepare for operations...

But plans can be stolen. This is actually kind of brilliant. Espionage usually fails in games because there are no secrets to steal...

Top Bottom