• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paradox Grand Strategy - Thread of Fighting WW2 as Bithynia

AA units are useless or nearly useless in HoI3. IIRC Provincial AA only does anything if the province is attacked itself - CAS attacking units on a province does not get hit by province AA, but STRAT strategic bombing or log bombing does. As a random example. And neither province AA nor AA brigades will attack enemies that fly "over" them, only the brigades in direct combat with the aircraft will attack them. So if you have a ring of invincible AA provinces, the enemy light bombers can fly over al that without getting scratched and attack one lone brigade somewhere in the middle no sweat.

Conventional wisdom from the forums is that INT, CAG and FTR are the only worthwhile aircraft defences. This is a problem for France since repairing aircraft takes both industry and significant manpower, and Germany's air force is top notch, even focusing purely on interceptors makes it tough to keep up your air defences. If you had a human Britain helping you it would be much more achievable.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
INTs seemed to be pretty ineffectual when I tried that strategy in my first game. They'd lose half their strength and most of their organization within a few hours. Maybe they could withstand the German assault if I diverted more of my leadership into INT techs, but even then the level of production required to construct a decent sized air force is too much of a barrier when France has so many other pressing needs for that IC.

Speaking of IC, I really liked producing a lot of HARMs, due to their soft attack/hard attack value and their lower manpower cost, foregoing speed techs for sheer toughness. Unfortunately, I'm not very good at utilizing them in combat. Sometimes I could blow Germany off their lines and create hugely disproportionate casualties, but they have too many soldiers; I couldn't produce a breach anywhere, because they'd just quickly fill it. Advancing through northwest Germany is arduous, even though Britain and I had some initial success in the low countries. Reading the HOI3 wiki now, it sounds like a good idea to mix in engineers with armor to negate the terrain penalties? As it is, I mostly tried to maximize the armor advantage by placing them in favorable terrain. Most my other divisions were some combination of 2INF + ART + TD, AA,, etc, or 3INF + whatever, depending on the situation. In retrospect, I feel like I neglected mechanized infantry too much. Unfortunately, I spend all this time thinking about unit composition and less time about how I'm actually fighting.

Yes I've found HARM useful in the past for this scenario. Especially when you get in utterly loopy scenarios like 40 HARM divisions through upgrade mechanic exploitation, lolz. But I totally understand what you're saying about there just being too many Germans. One strategy is to deliberately fall back along river lines in northern France then punch through Belgium with HARM+MAR+ENG divisions (4th/5th brigade of your choosing, probably both regular ART) and smash them into the sea. The problem is that the Germans are so fucking tough that it usually doesn't work. Smaller encirclements in northern France are definitely possible, and you can bait the AI into falling into the trap over and over. But at that point it feels like child abuse.

Kabouter

I like how too many Germans is such an issue, despite the fact that in real life, in terms of numbers available during the Battle of France the Allies more or less matched (or even beat) the Germans in all but airplanes.

frontovik

Banned
It's been over a month since I've started EU IV, and I feel that I have a solid understanding of the gameplay mechanics. I've been trying to earn the achievements, and have managed to get the ones for forming the Netherlands & the Kingdom for Jerusalem. I think I'll try for Germany next. Has anyone had any luck with the Theodoro achievement? It's my understanding you'd have to essentially have to conquer the HRE.

I've also tried getting into CK2, but am finding it to be a tad more complicated than EUIV. I've taken a look at the Wiki and discussion threads, but do have some questions:

- What's the best method to ask courtiers to leave aside from imprisoning them?

- Is borrowing money from Jewish merchants a last resort option when you have no funds? Under what circumstances is it ideal to do so.

- If you have achieved the Empressive achievement, what is your strategy/recommendations for it?

- There are so many locations to study Technology, which place is ideal to do so?

- When it comes to marriages, I prefer to marry someone who has a positive opinion of my ruler and don't worry too much about their titles/claims. Is that the ideal way to go about it?

- So far, it seems I'm only able to assassinate people within my court. How do I plan it for rival rulers?

- If someone within my family wants to get married and approaches me for help, should I always try to help them find a partner?

- As HRE, how do I get supporters for the person I choose to nominate as my heir.

- Is it better to marry the noble of a neighbouring faction or a distant but powerful one? For e.g. as Ireland, should I marry another Irish noble or the family member of England, France, or HRE instead.

- Can I just focus on increasing Centralization and taking the lands of all my "vassals", so they don't cause me trouble?

- In regards to Crusades, if I'm trying to get to the Holy Land from Western Europe, is it better to sail there or march through Anatolia? Additionally, if I want to create the Kingdom of Jerusalem, would I have to directly conquer and control the necessary lands to create it. What if one of the European kingdoms took the land during the war.

Fitz

- What's the best method to ask courtiers to leave aside from imprisoning them?
You could also try marrying them off, I don't remember ever really needing to get rid of courtiers though, so not sure right now if there's a better method.

- Is borrowing money from Jewish merchants a last resort option when you have no funds? Under what circumstances is it ideal to do so.
Not at all, outside of the small relations hit with religious vassals, there's no downside. I use it pretty liberally, though the "Expel the Jews" option is more of a last resort for when you are more seriously in need of a cash infusion, good for some harder starts when you need some mercenaries to win an early war or two. In certain situations you'll often find that you can make the money back quickly when pillaging towns/castles etc.

- If you have achieved the Empressive achievement, what is your strategy/recommendations for it?
Up until recently, the easiest would have been to go for Feudal Elective succession and just pick a daughter three times in a row as your chosen heir. However a little while ago they made it harder to get vassals to go along with your pick under elective succession, so you'll have to be more careful if using this method. Your vassals will need to ideally like both you and your chosen heir, so high diplomacy values will help. Doing this in either tiny states or late game empires will both make things easier, with the former you'd easily be able to control all of the few voting titles yourself, and in a mid-late game empire you'll be using viceroyalties which you can just revoke and redistribute to people that like you more.
Another other option is to go for a culture/religion where gender inheritance is equal, that'd be Basque, Cathar or Messalian.

- There are so many locations to study Technology, which place is ideal to do so?
Pretty much always in your capital, technology in this game works mostly by spreading down your realm. Certain technologies, e.g all of the culture branch, are only effected by the tech level in your capital province, for the rest you can use your councillors in high tech areas (generally your capital) to speed things up. Also don't forgot to use your spymaster to Study Technology if you can spare him, somewhere like Constantinople is often great.

- When it comes to marriages, I prefer to marry someone who has a positive opinion of my ruler and don't worry too much about their titles/claims. Is that the ideal way to go about it?
Depends what you're after, at the very least you should try to look for someone with high stats, as these are halved and then added to their spouses, this can province a powerful boost. If you're playing the long game, then looking for a character with genetic traits such as Genius or Attractive can really benefit your heirs down the road, with some selective inheritance.
Marrying for land is a little more complicated, but to give the gist, you'll rarely find a female ruler/heir waiting around unattached for a non-matrilineal marriage. You'll need to spend some time looking for people with suitable claims, ideally strong claims, which can then be pressed for land that'll end up being inherited by your combined heir, uniting the lands under a single ruler.

- So far, it seems I'm only able to assassinate people within my court. How do I plan it for rival rulers?
They changed the way assassination works to always be done through plotting, as far as I know, that should be the case for any character now. Try selecting the dead man lucky winner in question and iirc there's a button near their portrait to start a plot.

- If someone within my family wants to get married and approaches me for help, should I always try to help them find a partner?
Depends on the situation, it might be someone with a claim you want out of the way, you might want to extend your dynasty, it might be a lesser nobody, in which case you can tell them to jog on. You'll have to judge this one on a case by case basis.

- As HRE, how do I get supporters for the person I choose to nominate as my heir.
See above. Keep elector relations high with both yourself and heir (high diplomacy stat helps), I believe prestige also helps, giving your chosen heir some land to rule as soon as possible may work.

- Is it better to marry the noble of a neighbouring faction or a distant but powerful one? For e.g. as Ireland, should I marry another Irish noble or the family member of England, France, or HRE instead.
Again, this'll vary on a case by case basis, e.g. if you're looking to butter up a vassal, form an alliance, secure inheritance etc. Generally you'll find yourself marrying for stats, but you can always marry off extra children for good relations.

- Can I just focus on increasing Centralization and taking the lands of all my "vassals", so they don't cause me trouble?
Pretty much, the general idea is that as you progress through time, you'll get stronger, whilst your vassals lose privileges. Ideally you'll want to pick two duchies and personally have all your demesne there, particularly the top level baronies, that'll leave no independent counts pissed off in your duchies. Then just take/build baronies within your two duchies as your demesne limit increases, holding more than two duchies will piss off other rules within your realm.
As you increase Crown Authority your vassals will dislike you more, however if you combine that with good use of viceroyalties, you can revoke titles from rulers that dislike you in favour of more preferable subjects. This makes the Byzantines very powerful, as they start with Duke level Viceroy laws.

- In regards to Crusades, if I'm trying to get to the Holy Land from Western Europe, is it better to sail there or march through Anatolia? Additionally, if I want to create the Kingdom of Jerusalem, would I have to directly conquer and control the necessary lands to create it. What if one of the European kingdoms took the land during the war.
Sailing will be faster, and there's no attrition at sea in Crusader Kings, so your troops will get there at peak strength, the drawback is that ships are expensive to maintain, so use ships if you can afford it, otherwise you'll be marching.
Yes to the second question, you'll need to have the lands within your realm to create the title, however during a Great Holy War, e.g. Crusade/Jihad, the land will go to whoever has contributed the most towards the victory, so you don't need to actually occupy any land during the war, just make sure you contribute a lot of troops to the battle. You should be able to see who is currently at the top of the list by clicking the big flag that appears on the left under your portrait.

frontovik

Banned
Thank you for the information and help, Fitz! I appreciate it! I'll do my best to apply the advice you have provided in my playthrough :)

edit: few more questions:

So I've started a campaign in 1337 as Castile, and want to create the Spanish Empire.

-I've declared war on Granada, and gained a casus belli through reconquest. Once I took the title, I owned a foreign/Muslim Duke who hated me, along with his courtiers. I tried to retract his title, but the game warned that my other vassals would hate me for this. Is that supposed to make sense? I then decided to kill off all the Duke and his heirs until I decided to retract and bear with the diplomatic penalties. What should I have done?

- Is it possible to diplo-annex a vassal? I usurped Navarra, but was unable to claim it because the Pope didn't approve. How do I get him to do so?

- What would you suggest for dealing with Aragon and Portugal? Ideally, I'd like to integrate them into my Kingdom without resorting to war. At this point, I think marriage would play a crucial role, but I'm still struggling to get the grasp of it. I also find maintaining good relations with my vassals to be frustrating at times as well.

- If the Pope has a high approval of me, would I be able to excommunicate or get approval to claim titles anytime I'd like?

- Any other tips for playing as Castile during 1337 would be appreciated.

- Is it possible for me to share my ironman saved games for people to take a closer look at what I've done. Or is that not possible.

Ideally you'll want to pick two duchies and personally have all your demesne there, particularly the top level baronies, that'll leave no independent counts pissed off in your duchies. Then just take/build baronies within your two duchies as your demesne limit increases, holding more than two duchies will piss off other rules within your realm.
As you increase Crown Authority your vassals will dislike you more, however if you combine that with good use of viceroyalties, you can revoke titles from rulers that dislike you in favour of more preferable subjects.

I'm still trying to wrap my mind around this. By duchies, you mean the provinces, correct? How do I tell which ones are "top level' baronies. How do I build baronies? Who are deemed preferable subjects?

Thank you.

Mgoblue201

I like how too many Germans is such an issue, despite the fact that in real life, in terms of numbers available during the Battle of France the Allies more or less matched (or even beat) the Germans in all but airplanes.
That's probably just a kludge to keep the game reasonably historical. For all of its superiority in manpower, Germany tends not to win anyway (probably because the Soviet Union gets even more ridiculous manpower bonuses). The problem is that the alternate history scenarios, in the event that France never falls, are pretty weak. If you're playing France and you manage to reach a stalemate against Germany, then the war really grinds to a halt for a few years. Not that playing France should be anything other than a challenge, but the game seems to really hinge on the fall of France, and breaks down if that doesn't occur.

I understand Paradox's position though. Trying to simulate every aspect of the war is impractical, perhaps impossible. It's more practical to sacrifice a few historical details if it achieving plausible outcomes, in this case making France relatively weak in proportion to Germany. Hopefully HOI4 comes up with some better mechanics.

HoI4 should have the systems in place to simulate it in theory; the battle planner can mean that the German and French AI can use historical battleplans to truly emulate the reason the French collapsed. The real question is whether they will do this, or whether they will still design France to fail in the event that the AI or a human player creates a good plan to counteract this plan. I think they will, because they're Swedish (i.e. evil).

Mgoblue201

HoI4 should have the systems in place to simulate it in theory; the battle planner can mean that the German and French AI can use historical battleplans to truly emulate the reason the French collapsed. The real question is whether they will do this, or whether they will still design France to fail in the event that the AI or a human player creates a good plan to counteract this plan. I think they will, because they're Swedish (i.e. evil).
On the other hand, if the player is given too much latitude to formulate war plans, free of any constraints and biases that affected France's leadership at the time, it would probably always end with the player winning. Maybe the problem is that it's too easy to keep up with Germany in terms of doctrine and tactics, thus avoiding France's calamitous mistakes? I'm not sure. My knowledge of WW2 is somewhat limited.
Thank you for the information and help, Fitz! I appreciate it! I'll do my best to apply the advice you have provided in my playthrough :)

edit: few more questions:

So I've started a campaign in 1337 as Castile, and want to create the Spanish Empire.

-I've declared war on Granada, and gained a casus belli through reconquest. Once I took the title, I owned a foreign/Muslim Duke who hated me, along with his courtiers. I tried to retract his title, but the game warned that my other vassals would hate me for this. Is that supposed to make sense? I then decided to kill off all the Duke and his heirs until I decided to retract and bear with the diplomatic penalties. What should I have done?

- Is it possible to diplo-annex a vassal? I usurped Navarra, but was unable to claim it because the Pope didn't approve. How do I get him to do so?

- What would you suggest for dealing with Aragon and Portugal? Ideally, I'd like to integrate them into my Kingdom without resorting to war. At this point, I think marriage would play a crucial role, but I'm still struggling to get the grasp of it. I also find maintaining good relations with my vassals to be frustrating at times as well.

- If the Pope has a high approval of me, would I be able to excommunicate or get approval to claim titles anytime I'd like?

- Any other tips for playing as Castile during 1337 would be appreciated.

- Is it possible for me to share my ironman saved games for people to take a closer look at what I've done. Or is that not possible.

I'm still trying to wrap my mind around this. By duchies, you mean the provinces, correct? How do I tell which ones are "top level' baronies. How do I build baronies? Who are deemed preferable subjects?

Thank you.
Keep in mind, I haven't played CK2 since the release of Charlemagne last October, so my answers might contain outdated information.

1. Yes, vassals tend to view that as tyrannical behavior. You need a reason to revoke titles (either because you have a claim, or the vassal rebelled, or the vassal follows a different religion and you have medium crown authority, etc). And no, you can't annex vassals like in EU4.

2. If you want to peacefully inherit a title, that requires understanding the inheritance laws of the title and positioning yourself to take advantage of that. The information about inheritance laws should be located somewhere, maybe by hovering over the coat of arms for that title. It's probably just easier to go to war over a claim, which you can read about here.

3. As for the Pope granting favors, this explanation is from the CK2 Wiki: "Hostile favors (claims, invasions, and excommunications) require that the target follow the same religious head. They will only be granted if the Pope severely dislikes the target, unless you are requesting from a vassal Pope or antipope. These requests will also be denied if the target controls more cardinals than you do."

4. A duchy constitutes multiple provinces, usually between two and five in size (check the duchy mapmode for more information). If you hold a duchy title, and it is not your "primary title", and there are vassal counts within that duchy, they may desire that title, which will give -25 opinion and they'll try to plot to take that duchy from you, particularly if they're ambitious. One way to minimize that is to hold all the counties within that duchy yourself, but that isn't required (myself, I tend to hold the best counties in my realm, regardless of duchy, and don't worry too much about the opinion of a few vassals). By top level barony, he means the county capital. When you own the county, you automatically own the capital. It's the large castle icon when you click on a province.

5. I think you can upload an ironman save, right? The save should be located under the CK2 folder in My Documents.

frontovik

Banned
Thanks for the advice mgoblue :) I'll do my best to play the game with the knowledge you've provided. I think I'm starting to get the grasp of vassal management and marriages now. Just a few more questions..

As the HRE:

- I launched a war to seize the Sheikhdom of Jerusalem from the Fatimids. I sent one army to march through Anatolia, while the other approached via an invasion fleet. When I reached the region, my troops were unable to disembark. Did I do something wrong here?

- I was content with gifting money to vassals, or throwing feasts and fairs in order to keep them from stirring up trouble. Is that the best way to go about it?

- Is there a way to get rid of traits such as "Known Murderer", or negative traits such as "Possessed"? My heir to the throne was a "homosexual", and most of my vassals hated him.

- My Empress was assassinated by the order of a prince that resided in England. As far as I was aware, he had no cause to kill her. Is this random AI behaviour or is there always a reason behind their motives. I checked his profile and he seemed to have a good opinion of me.

- In regards to the "Crusader King" achievement - Form and hold the Kingdom of Jerusalem. I joined a Crusade and participated in the war effort, but did not contribute enough to the cause in order to gain the spoils. Is there an easier way to go about this achievement. Perhaps with a different faction or method of those who have achieved this.

Mgoblue201

1. Are you clicking on the army, as opposed to the transport fleet?

2. Yes, if it keeps them from joining factions (it's easier to prevent vassals from joining a faction in the first place than it is to compel them to leave once they're in it). Throw feasts; hand out honorary or landed titles; dispense bribes (which work better against greedy characters); send your spymaster on missions. Good traits and a high diplomacy stat also help. Try to avoid negative modifiers; for instance, if one of your vassals wants a lower ranked character to serve him directly, it might be a good idea to oblige him. And if everything else fails, there are always creative solutions, like burying a particularly troublesome vassal beneath another liege.

3. Not really. There are random events to get rid of certain negative traits, and it's conceivable that you could manipulate the game to make these events slightly more common, but they're still rare.

4. I don't have any particular insight into AI behavior. Maybe the AI thought it had something to gain from the assassination?

5. Maybe Byzantium, as there are quite a few other achievements you can get with them, but I think "Crusader King" specifically requires starting at the 1066 bookmark.

frontovik

Banned
Thank you for the info :) I'd say I'm getting along in my current playthrough as the HRE. I have a few more questions ...

- I have the opportunity to create the Kingdom of Germany as the Holy Roman Emperor, it's my understanding that it would give me less vassals to worry about, but a more powerful one to be mindful of. Would this be recommended? Could I be Kaiser and King of Germany concurrently?

- I currently control Hebron, and am looking to take Acre and Jerusalem from the Seljuks. However, there already exists a Kingdom of Jerusalem created from a previous Crusade. Can I create it again, or do I have to get rid of the existing one?

- In regards to marriages: previously I had tried to claim the Kingdom of Jerusalem by marrying my daughter to the heir of the throne. If the heir had succeeded, would I have gained a claim or owned the kingdom? I never had the opportunity to directly control it. I then resorted to killing off the kings of Jerusalem, and married the queen, but was not designated as heir to the kingdom. Does my succession law not affect theirs?

Screenshots:

1.png

4.png

So... my current game of CKII has taken a turn for the weird somewhere. I can go back and review the history at some point, right? Because I'm really curious about when the Seljuks went Catholic. Also, the Fatmids straight-up dissolved, Sunni was supplanted by Yazidi, and France is slowly being eaten by Acquitaine.

Oh, and then there's my giant Jewish kingdom of Abyssinia holding basically all of east Africa. But I know how that happened.

Fitz

- I have the opportunity to create the Kingdom of Germany as the Holy Roman Emperor, it's my understanding that it would give me less vassals to worry about, but a more powerful one to be mindful of. Would this be recommended? Could I be Kaiser and King of Germany concurrently?

- I currently control Hebron, and am looking to take Acre and Jerusalem from the Seljuks. However, there already exists a Kingdom of Jerusalem created from a previous Crusade. Can I create it again, or do I have to get rid of the existing one?

- In regards to marriages: previously I had tried to claim the Kingdom of Jerusalem by marrying my daughter to the heir of the throne. If the heir had succeeded, would I have gained a claim or owned the kingdom? I never had the opportunity to directly control it. I then resorted to killing off the kings of Jerusalem, and married the queen, but was not designated as heir to the kingdom. Does my succession law not affect theirs?

Whenever you create a title, it will become yours, you can then hold onto it or distribute it as you see fit. In this case, you're already an Emperor, so creating a Kingdom title will essentially just serve to generate some prestige for you, it could also piss off some vassals within the Kingdom of Germany who want the title.
Giving the title to someone else to manage however would also be a double-edged sword, as you'd have less vassals to manage directly, but on the other hand you'd be creating a single more powerful vassal. If you've got a good candidate to give the title to, generally someone of the same religion and culture, but ideally with the content trait, then it'll be a good idea. Just bear in mind that if you hold Duchies within Germany, the new King will want them.

If you want a title that already exists, instead of creating it, you'll have the option to usurp it, for which the requirements are basically the same as for creating it, i.e. owning 51%+ of the land. There are some restrictions on when you can do this, but they're made clear when trying to usurp if it's not possible at that time.

If you want to marry in to a title, you'll need to do it in one of a few ways. The easiest is to find a woman with a strong claim on territory X, marry them directly, use the claim to take the land and install your wife on the throne of Duchy/Kingdom/Empire X, then hopefully your heir will also be the heir to that title too, as long as the succession laws don't cause any problems. Also each title generally has its own laws, you'll need to own the title to change them.
Bear in mind that there are two variables on claims: Strong/Weak, which determines when the claim can be pushed, and Inheritable/Not, which determines if the claim will pass to children.
Finding an unmarried woman with a strong claim on a decent bit of land is a rarity however, and marrying a daughter to the heir of Kingdom X won't help, as their child/heir won't also be your heir. So essentially it comes down to finding ways to get your heir as the heir to another realm as well. There's more to it than that, but you'll have to experiment and browse the wiki to get the full picture.

So what is the best mod for HOI3 nowadays? I have the itch to play the game, but it's been a while and I haven't kept up with the modding scene.

frontovik

Banned
Thanks again for your help as always, Fitz! I was progressing well in my HRE playthrough until a vassal king usurped my titles from me. I should've executed him when I had in the chance after crushing a previous rebellion.

I'm going to do another playthrough and keep on reading the wiki while experimenting with the game mechanics.

If I may ask some more questions:

- If I decide to transfer a vassal to another, the receiving vassal would be grateful, but would get stronger at my expense, correct? I suppose it's only ideal to transfer vassalage as a last resort?

- When is it ideal to request taxation on feudal vassals, burghers, or the church? I'm currently comfortable with just asking for their levies, but there are times when I feel like I'm not getting substantial income.

- I once revoked a county from a rebellious vassal, but the remaining title was still given to his heir. I wanted to own all his titles, so did I miss something here?

Fitz

Thanks again for your help as always, Fitz! I was progressing well in my HRE playthrough until a vassal king usurped my titles from me. I should've executed him when I had in the chance after crushing a previous rebellion.

I'm going to do another playthrough and keep on reading the wiki while experimenting with the game mechanics.

If I may ask some more questions:

- If I decide to transfer a vassal to another, the receiving vassal would be grateful, but would get stronger at my expense, correct? I suppose it's only ideal to transfer vassalage as a last resort?

- When is it ideal to request taxation on feudal vassals, burghers, or the church? I'm currently comfortable with just asking for their levies, but there are times when I feel like I'm not getting substantial income.

- I once revoked a county from a rebellious vassal, but the remaining title was still given to his heir. I wanted to own all his titles, so did I miss something here?

You're right that transferring one vassal to another will indeed make them stronger, but at low levels especially, the relations bump will be well worth the very small buff in strength. E.g. if you've got a count whose land is de jure belonging to one of your dukes. It's generally good to try and maintain a clean rank hierarchy within your realm, i.e everyone under their de jure ruler one tier up.

If you're looking to increase your income, your best bet will be to focus on building income buildings at your Castles (Castle Towns, then Walls iirc), as well as increasing City taxes, as your Burghers will be your vassals with the most money. Increasing taxes on your feudal vassals is a risky prospect, it depends how much you're willing to piss them off essentially, it's not something I often increase, I prefer to piss them off by increasing Crown Authority.

As for your last question, I'm not certain, iirc I've never revoked a vassal title and had it go to someone other than myself. How did you do it? Win a war, then revoke whilst he was imprisoned?

frontovik

Banned
Great, thank you for the info!

That's correct. To provide more information, I was playing as Duke Roger de Hauteville in 1066. I had a family vassal who held Reggio and had a poor opinion of me.

I tried to revoke his titles through Intrigue, and he declared war on me when I tried to take action. I crushed him, but he still had a county which I tried to revoke as well. I won again and executed him in prison. His daughter succeeded as the Countess of Reggio.

At this point, I'm not sure if the County of Reggio belongs to me, or to his daughter.

If I were to provide a saved game files, would you be willing to take a look for me? My playthroughs are enabled in Ironman Mode, so I'm not sure if it's possible.

Fitz

Oh I see, if you executed him whilst he still held titles, then these will have passed on to the current title holders heir, which in this case sounds like his daughter. If you go to the character sheet for the daughter there'll be a list of titles that she's holding, check there to see if she has the area in question.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Just keep killing heirs until they run out, then the titles default back to you.

This is how I always did it. Super high intrigue ftw.

Mgoblue201

So what is the best mod for HOI3 nowadays? I have the itch to play the game, but it's been a while and I haven't kept up with the modding scene.
If you want a complete overhaul of the game, including tons of new events, technologies, and units, then maybe BlackICE (though in my opinion it suffers from the modder's obsession with changing everything, including parts that don't need to be changed). Another alternative is the Historical Plausibility Project (I haven't personally played it).

I preferred HPP from memory but it was also a bit unstable. Black Ice added so much stuff that I think I had to make the exe large address aware to get it to not crash.

Black ice adds these irritating modifiers to units to force historical outcomes. You'll get 2/3 into Russia and then suddenly you'll notice that the soviet "territorial pride" modifier is 450% or something crazy.

HOI3 modding seems real finicky. I'm getting CTDs with multiple different mods.

I preferred HPP from memory but it was also a bit unstable. Black Ice added so much stuff that I think I had to make the exe large address aware to get it to not crash.
Ugh, I forgot about how these older Paradox games needed to do this. Maybe that's why I'm getting crashes. Though I don't think it explains why the Blue Max mod I tried crashes at startup.

Rapstah

I love CK2. My 40-year-old Viking king had the "I hate my life" event where he gets the trait that makes him chronically depressed while raiding Germany, and then not even a full week later had the "you know what, life is okay" event cancelling the depression out.

Grabbed the humble bundle for HOI 3 mainly but getting Victoria 2 is nice as well.

In true paradox fashion instead of doing the tutorial I just threw myself into hearts of iron. I have no idea what I'm doing and it took me 3 tries to defeat poland as germany lol.

frontovik

Banned
I just want to say as someone who grew up with the Total War games, I can no longer go back to them after playing EU IV and CK2. Thank you Paradox for your awesome grand strategy games.

That being said, the original Rome will always have a special place in my gaming memories :p

A few more questions:

Going for Empressive:

- If I want to change my culture to Basque, I'd have to invite a courtier to educate my heir, correct? I've heard that a patch prevents that from happening now. What is the ideal method for cultural conversion?
- Alternatively, I've heard that setting your capital to a province that is overwhelmingly Basque works too.
- Do the same rules apply for religion as well? (specifically Cathar or Bogomilism) Sending your chaplain to research cultural techs or educating heir?

- I've tried playing as Byzantines during 1066 and was able to stop the Seljuk invasion.. However, now I have to deal with vassals wanting me to lower crown authority or changing succession laws. I managed to beat one rebellion but lost the other. What's the ideal strategy for dealing with vassals as Byzantium? I've tried revoking titles from dissidents and placating others with bribes or honourary titles, but it hasn't been easy.

zer0das

Banned
Great, thank you for the info!

That's correct. To provide more information, I was playing as Duke Roger de Hauteville in 1066. I had a family vassal who held Reggio and had a poor opinion of me.

I tried to revoke his titles through Intrigue, and he declared war on me when I tried to take action. I crushed him, but he still had a county which I tried to revoke as well. I won again and executed him in prison. His daughter succeeded as the Countess of Reggio.

At this point, I'm not sure if the County of Reggio belongs to me, or to his daughter.

If I were to provide a saved game files, would you be willing to take a look for me? My playthroughs are enabled in Ironman Mode, so I'm not sure if it's possible.

Why you kill Roger of Reggio, he's a stand up dude who helps you conquer Sicily. :( I'm just teasing, the deHautville start in Italy was my favorite, played it like a dozen times. Best I ever did was capture half of modern day France and Spain... could never unite the Italian dejure entirely, the Byzantines are always a pain in the rear.

Rapstah

- If I want to change my culture to Basque, I'd have to invite a courtier to educate my heir, correct? I've heard that a patch prevents that from happening now. What is the ideal method for cultural conversion?

Yep. Diligent and Gregarious increase the chance that your kid will pick up the courtier's culture, and Slothful and Shy are the opposites of those so they reduce the chance.

I don't know about religion, but you can convert as an adult so it's probably less important. This part is pretty funny on the CK2 wiki though:
The Hellenic and (generic) Pagan religions appear for characters in the history files, representing (for Hellenism) the pre-Christian Roman emperors and (for Paganism) pre-Christian Irish and pre-Islamic Arabs, among others. They cannot normally appear in game (Except one Arabian woman in 867), but a character with these religions can be made in the Ruler Designer.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I just want to say as someone who grew up with the Total War games, I can no longer go back to them after playing EU IV and CK2. Thank you Paradox for your awesome grand strategy games.

That being said, the original Rome will always have a special place in my gaming memories :p

A few more questions:

Going for Empressive:

They did change that, yes. A guardian can still change their ward's culture, but only if the guardian holds a landed title or is the same culture as their direct overlord. Inviting Basque courtiers to your court to educate your children won't work unless you are also Basque, therefore. The best you can do is send your child away to a foreign Basque landed character to be educated by them. Do note this means you can't declare war on that character any more, as they now have a hostage, and also that child is minorly more at risk.

This works the same for religion.

- Alternatively, I've heard that setting your capital to a province that is overwhelmingly Basque works too.

If you don't have Rajas of India, it works like this: if your capital province's culture is different to yours, an event can fire that allows you to change your culture to that of your capital. If you do have Raja's of India, it works like this: if your capital province's culture is different to yours and either a) you are the top liege or b) you have a different culture to your liege already, then you get a decision costing 500 prestige to change culture to that of your capital.

- Do the same rules apply for religion as well? (specifically Cathar or Bogomilism) Sending your chaplain to research cultural techs or educating heir?

Assuming your liege isn't Cathar or Bogomil, there are a number of routes you can take. You can make your heir a Council member and station them in a Cathar or Bogomil province, which can trigger an event to flip them to that religion. If you have Rajas of India, and if your capital province's religion is different to yours and either a) you are the top liege or b) you have a different religion to your liege already, then you get a decision costing 500 prestige to change religion to that of your capital.

If you have a heretic courtier, there's an event that fires where they can ask you to join their religion. Being cynical or diligent makes it much more likely; zealous or slothful much less. Low moral authority also makes it more likely.

If you have a friend of a different religion, an event can fire, so you can try carousing with same-realm Bogomils or Cathars. If you don't have any, you can invite them, or get them into your court via marriage.

- I've tried playing as Byzantines during 1066 and was able to stop the Seljuk invasion.. However, now I have to deal with vassals wanting me to lower crown authority or changing succession laws. I managed to beat one rebellion but lost the other. What's the ideal strategy for dealing with vassals as Byzantium? I've tried revoking titles from dissidents and placating others with bribes or honourary titles, but it hasn't been easy.

IIRC, outside of independence revolts, vassals won't join factions if they have more than 50 opinion of you (independence is 80); if they're already in a faction they'll leave if opinion goes above 75. You can use bribes and honorary titles, but use them tactically - check which vassals have the most troops and please them first. Also, don't forget your chancellor. You can station them to improve relations in the capital of a vassal. The spymaster can also be stationed on vassal capitals to deter them, although this takes time and isn't a quick-fix solution. You can also release same religion same culture prisoners for a small opinion boost (Merciful).

More long-run tactics include: personally educating all the children of nobles in your realm, or making sure they're educated by courtiers with the right traits (Content, Craven, Kind, Charitable, Honest, Humble, Just); slowly weeding out all vassals that aren't of your culture and religion whenever possible; using the Carousing Focus (if you have WoL) to make sure all of your nobles are also your friends; making sure your heir always has a Diplomatic education (by far the best in any large realm).

frontovik

Banned
Thanks again for the info Crab, I'll do my best to apply it.

It seems like when I finally got a good grasp of game mechanics, there is always something else I need to work at..

Therefore, I have a few more questions:

- In regards to succession laws and my heir. I was running a campaign with Agnatic Gavelkind, and my heir already got a landed title when he came of age. I thought succession laws only goes into effect when my current ruler dies? Is there something I'm missing here. Will the heir to the throne always have a title when coming of age? That being said, I plan to go for Primogeniture succession (or elective) as soon as possible.

- Succession laws can only be changed once in a ruler's lifetime, correct? That includes the eligibility of male/females, and how the titles will be distributed. While other laws like taxation and crown authority can be changed every 10 years?

- In regards to Viceroyalties, who are the best people to grant it to? Unlanded courtiers, a duke, or count? Would it be better for me to hold onto it if I don't want it used against me?

- In my Navarra campaign, I married my heir to the throne (sister), to the King of Aragon through a matrilineal marriage. Will I be given a claim to the throne once they have a child, and will the lands of Aragon be given to me? Or would it only give me a casus belli to seize it by force.

- Does upgrading retinue make a significant difference in battles? I get the impression that battles in CK2 are mostly determined by having more soldiers than your enemies like EU IV. Does the composition of cavalry, infantry, or archers matter at all?

- I've read on the Paradox forums that there's a term called "North Korea" mode, which I assume is being a tyrant and killing all your vassals and taking their lands. Will your infamy give other European rulers a casus belli to attack you solely because of your reputation?

- Just to clarify: a mayor owns a city, while a bishop owns a bishopric correct? They would be a burgher and clergy respectively. You can only appoint burghers and clergy by granting an unlanded courtier a city or bishopric to rule over? Or does the AI automatically appoint a mayor/bishop for you.

That's all for now, thanks again!

Anybody interested in signing up on the new HoI4 website can use my referral link. Not sure what benefits I get from it but everyone who signs up in general gets a free DLC pack and is put in the draw for HoI4 closed beta invite.

Kabouter

Oh, right, that was still ongoing. I just need one more person to do this with my link, then I hit 20 :p. So someone, please :D

Edit: Thanks anonymous person who was #20!

Still. I pick the groups, choices, allegiances etc. in games that appeal to me IRL, as a rule. I imagine that on some level, most people do the same. It's not, like, a huge deal, but still kinda sketchy, IMO.
There's nothing sketchy at all about enjoying playing as an Axis country in a video game. Most people can play a strategy game (or any game for that matter) and keep it detached from the real world. Playing as Germany in HOI isn't an endorsement of Nazism anymore than playing as Spain in EU4 means you approve of the conquest and mass enslavement of people. It's a game, not real life.

ZZMitch

Still. I pick the groups, choices, allegiances etc. in games that appeal to me IRL, as a rule. I imagine that on some level, most people do the same. It's not, like, a huge deal, but still kinda sketchy, IMO.

I feel like most people don't play that way actually. I intend to play Axis more in HOI4 because I enjoy the alternate history aspect and "underdog" feeling in Paradox strategy games. If you only plan on playing modern democracies that love human rights in strategy games your choices will be very limited.

Fitz

Thanks again for the info Crab, I'll do my best to apply it.

It seems like when I finally got a good grasp of game mechanics, there is always something else I need to work at..

Therefore, I have a few more questions:

- In regards to succession laws and my heir. I was running a campaign with Agnatic Gavelkind, and my heir already got a landed title when he came of age. I thought succession laws only goes into effect when my current ruler dies? Is there something I'm missing here. Will the heir to the throne always have a title when coming of age? That being said, I plan to go for Primogeniture succession (or elective) as soon as possible.

- Succession laws can only be changed once in a ruler's lifetime, correct? That includes the eligibility of male/females, and how the titles will be distributed. While other laws like taxation and crown authority can be changed every 10 years?

- In regards to Viceroyalties, who are the best people to grant it to? Unlanded courtiers, a duke, or count? Would it be better for me to hold onto it if I don't want it used against me?

- In my Navarra campaign, I married my heir to the throne (sister), to the King of Aragon through a matrilineal marriage. Will I be given a claim to the throne once they have a child, and will the lands of Aragon be given to me? Or would it only give me a casus belli to seize it by force.

- Does upgrading retinue make a significant difference in battles? I get the impression that battles in CK2 are mostly determined by having more soldiers than your enemies like EU IV. Does the composition of cavalry, infantry, or archers matter at all?

- I've read on the Paradox forums that there's a term called "North Korea" mode, which I assume is being a tyrant and killing all your vassals and taking their lands. Will your infamy give other European rulers a casus belli to attack you solely because of your reputation?

- Just to clarify: a mayor owns a city, while a bishop owns a bishopric correct? They would be a burgher and clergy respectively. You can only appoint burghers and clergy by granting an unlanded courtier a city or bishopric to rule over? Or does the AI automatically appoint a mayor/bishop for you.

That's all for now, thanks again!

- No, there's no form of coming of age inheritance, likely the character inherited the land from someone else at some point.

- Yeah I think that's right, once per lifetime for Crown Laws, 10 years for the rest iirc.

- Well that depends, the good thing about Viceroyalities is that they'll be returned to you upon the death of the title holder, meaning you can keep the title on someone loyal. So generally you'll want hand them out to rulers that have the content trait, or otherwise like you and are unlikely to rebel, it's not as important for Duke level titles, the King level ones will have more power, so you'll want to be sure it's someone loyal. Bear in mind that Viceroyalities can be revoked tyranny free with Imperial Administration, so if you ever find a disloyal Viceroy likely to rebel, grab the title and hand if off to someone else.

- Your current character won't get any claims, however your sisters child will be heir to both your Kingdom, and the Kingdom of Aragon, unless the current King of Aragon has another heir already, e.g. a child from a previous marriage.

- The main benefit to retinues, besides having more troops available, is that you can position them favourable just before declaring war, something you can't do with regular levies. E.g. you can start moving them into a province you want to siege, pause a day before they get there, declare war, then unpause and they'll land before the AI can raise troops from that province generally.
As far as troop composition goes, you'll have to look up the Wiki, there's some min-maxing that can be done there, but it's not something I'm clear on.

- Yeah, North Korea mode was to simply keep all the holdings within your realm yourself, no vassals no hassle. There's no infamy system in CK2 so it had to effect on relations with outside rulers. This doesn't work anymore however, you get large penalties to income and levy size as you go over your demsne limit.

- That's right, for towns/bishoprics and the like, you can quickly create a new ruler for them by right clicking in the province window on the holding and clicking the button for it, it'll generate a generic ruler of the same religion and culture as yourself. Generally useful after holy wars when displacing all the rulers of a region.

frontovik

Banned
Thanks again for your information as always, Fitz :)

To change the pace, I decided to do another EU IV playthrough as England in 1444.

Despite being allied with Castile and Austria (which took over Burgundy's territories), they were still stomped by France when I called them to war. Unbelievable!

Thanks again for your information as always, Fitz :)

To change the pace, I decided to do another EU IV playthrough as England in 1444.

Despite being allied with Castile and Austria (which took over Burgundy's territories), they were still stomped by France when I called them to war. Unbelievable!

France is the End Boss of EU4.

Top Bottom