• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ParentGaf OT: Birth, Bib and Beyond

zbarron

We're going through the stage where our 4 month old constantly wakes up at night, rolls to his tummy, and then gets angry and cries, we turn him back over, he cries, wants to roll back over, cries. Lose/lose situation at the moment and kinda at a loss of what to do.

That's where Praxis and I are. Our solution was putting him back in the bouncer to sleep even though he was sleeping fine in the crib before the rolling. We put him in a short onesie with a long onesie over it and buckle him in. He can't roll to his back so he can't get stuck. He's back to sleeping decently. Once he masters tummy to back rolling we'll transition him back to the crib.

We're going through the stage where our 4 month old constantly wakes up at night, rolls to his tummy, and then gets angry and cries, we turn him back over, he cries, wants to roll back over, cries. Lose/lose situation at the moment and kinda at a loss of what to do.

We used poddle pods for our girls until they could roll themselves over. Now they can roll and crawl we find them in all kinds of weird positions when we get them in the morning.

ColdPizza

Banned
cross post from another thread, but here is my poor son with an IV getting fluids...he developed a sudden body rash over the weekend while we were visiting family out of town over the weekend.

he was already on antibiotics for an ear infection so we thought maybe he has an allergy to penicillin but after a trip to the hospital to rule out some other stuff the doctor things it's a reaction to something viral.

anyway, there's nothing we can really do treatment wise but rule it out, but he has been a champ throughout the whole ordeal so far.

you can't really see it, but on top of the rash he has some skin bruising and swollen feet.

QYX7NyP.png

just scary whenever this happens and you don't want your kid to suffer an ounce of pain or fear...and even more harrowing when it happens when you're out of town.

That's where Praxis and I are. Our solution was putting him back in the bouncer to sleep even though he was sleeping fine in the crib before the rolling. We put him in a short onesie with a long onesie over it and buckle him in. He can't roll to his back so he can't get stuck. He's back to sleeping decently. Once he masters tummy to back rolling we'll transition him back to the crib.

Listen to zbarron's advice or just wait it out. My son can now roll onto his back again now, took two or three weeks but finally he can do it. We no longer have a stationary baby, he is rolling all over the place now. It's crazy... He's crazy.

We are blending a lot of vegetables and fish now and he has taken to food really well. He's loving it, my wife is still breast feeding him between meals, but nowhere as much as before. It's nice for her (and her poor breasts) to have a break.

We are both loving being parents, despite its hardships, I'm glad we waited this long as a younger me wouldn't have had the patience to remain calm. He is really turning into a little character now, it's amazing to watch easily the best thing we have ever done. We love him more than anything.

Countdown to the great flight is on. T-minus 4 days until doom... ;_;

Ok, so I figure I'd post this. Here's pictures of Andrew and Jacob <left and right> now at 7 months as of the 11th of June. It's hard to believe how fast time flies.

Awww, they look great. Glad to see they're doing so well.

Hey GAF, here's our little fella born 2 days ago on 16/6/16. I proudly present Jack Adam Emerick:

Congrats, yo~!

My latest innocent creation, at 3 months

My treacherous son, 5 years

My insane daughter, 2 years

Oh yeah and my son is at 4 months now and sleeping through the night. Not going to question how, just letting it happen &#128588;&#127996;&#127881;

You're killin' me, mac. Very cute, though. What an expression. Haha.

From Australia to England. 30+ hrs...

We'll get through it somehow, but the general response that was in that recliner vs. baby thread last week is kind of what we're expecting. Yay?
Holy shit. I read a good idea to ease the tension and that was to make up bags with some stuff in them for people sitting around you with some treats and ear plugs to kind of pre-apologize.
I wager most people are unlikely to confront you even if you're bothering them. If they take issue with you flying with a baby, they are fools anyway. Let them seethe.
Yeah very true. When my wife and I were younger I used to bitch to her about babies on our long haul flights but that was the extent of it (just moaning to myself). What can you say really?

mrkgoo

Holy shit. I read a good idea to ease the tension and that was to make up bags with some stuff in them for people sitting around you with some treats and ear plugs to kind of pre-apologize.

Yeah very true. When my wife and I were younger I used to bitch to her about babies on our long haul flights but that was the extent of it (just moaning to myself). What can you say really?

Nah. Don't apologise. You've done nothing wrong. Everyone is in an uncomfortable space for a long haul flight. You kind of have to expect at least one baby crying. These trips are nightmarish but we put up with them to get to places that are otherwise impossible in such a time frame.

It's a compromise.

I've flown with my kids and it's rough. Really rough. And my kid was easy going comparatively.

Something non-parents don't get on flights when they complain about uncomfortable babies is that they only have to deal with that for the duration of the flight....it's not as rough on those folks around you as it is on your kid and yourself as well.

I always figure any passenger kicking up a fuss in an immature manner to be the real baby.

That said I was on an Asian flight to an Asian country. Asians love babies for some reason. Carry the baby down the aisle and all I got was warm smiles and sympathy.

I wager most people are unlikely to confront you even if you're bothering them. If they take issue with you flying with a baby, they are fools anyway. Let them seethe.

They probably wouldn't, but we're flying business so that we have a bit more space/comfort + bassinet and I could certainly imagine it being a more, ah, pointed anger. That said, I was super wound up with her first flight from Melb to Adelaide and everyone turned out to be lovely.

I do remember that article and I'm pretty tempted. I believe plugs are part of the sleep pack they give you in business, though, so I'm thinking of just introducing myself and Mia to the nearby seats or something neighborly.

Wow... Ask your pediatrician if there are any infant options for ketamine lol. Jesus.

And imo on a long haul every passenger should be prepared for unpleasant shit happening and pack pillows/headphones/etc.

Haha. Yeah... I wish. My husband jokingly suggested baby NyQuil. Actually, I'm not sure he was joking now. :p

At any rate, we'll do our best not to disturb anyone, but babies don't follow any schedule but their own most days.

Nah. Don't apologise. You've done nothing wrong. Everyone is in an uncomfortable space for a long haul flight. You kind of have to expect at least one baby crying. These trips are nightmarish but we put up with them to get to places that are otherwise impossible in such a time frame.

It's a compromise.

I've flown with my kids and it's rough. Really rough. And my kid was easy going comparatively.

Something non-parents don't get on flights when they complain about uncomfortable babies is that they only have to deal with that for the duration of the flight....it's not as rough on those folks around you as it is on your kid and yourself as well.

I always figure any passenger kicking up a fuss in an immature manner to be the real baby.

That said I was on an Asian flight to an Asian country. Asians love babies for some reason. Carry the baby down the aisle and all I got was warm smiles and sympathy.

Agreed, but it is nice to know that the parents are aware and will try. I think most people just auto-assume that the parents are going to let their kids run wild before anything even happens. I think it'll be obvious that we'll be trying hard, but a little apologetic smile or intro will go a long way I think. I hope.

And yup yup @ the bolded. So true!

mrkgoo

Agreed, but it is nice to know that the parents are aware and will try. I think most people just auto-assume that the parents are going to let their kids run wild before anything even happens. I think it'll be obvious that we'll be trying hard, but a little apologetic smile or intro will go a long way I think. I hope.

And yup yup @ the bolded. So true!

Oh yeah for sure!

I was actually going to add that it does make a difference of your own demeanour on the flight. Some things you will just have to resign to but I wanted to say you gotta look like you're trying. Not saying faking it, but you have to be considerate of those around you as best you can.

Keri

So, I'm 35 weeks pregnant now and I would very much like to be done and have a baby. On one hand, looking back, it feels like this pregnancy has flown by. On the other hand, it feels like this last bit has slowed to a crawl. Here's hoping little guy comes a respectable amount of time early...38 weeks would be great. I've read that's safely full term.

I miss being able to comfortably get out of chairs on my own. :(

Ayumi

They probably wouldn't, but we're flying business so that we have a bit more space/comfort + bassinet and I could certainly imagine it being a more, ah, pointed anger. That said, I was super wound up with her first flight from Melb to Adelaide and everyone turned out to be lovely.
Which airlines have bassinets on business class?

We always try to get Economy Comfort (business is way too expensive from Asia) since they allow me to place the babybag/stuff next to me.

Flew with LO when she was 4,5 months (24hours long trip). She decided she only wanted mommy, so I had her on my lap for 24 hours straight... The longest flight was 12 hours and I was beyond exhausted. Thank god we got a bassinet on our way home. That was *amazing*. She slept almost the entire flight, and so did I! But I can't get one in August when we're flying again since she's too old/big (1 year). At least she can sit in her own/my seat now, so I can buckle her up there alone while preparing her food and stuff. We only have one seat, but I'm able to check the flight from an app so I can keep track of available seats. We're on Economy Comfort like I said, so hopefully that'll be enough to switch with someone on Economy if they were lucky enough to have an empty seat next to them. She's in an age where she tries to grab strangers' phones and such from the train if they sit next to us. Haha

I also found people to be more nice than I had expected. During take off and landing, most babies cry from the ear pressure. The lady next to us was doing funny faces, so our daughter stopped crying during landing. It was nice! (She had already had her milk)

So, I'm 35 weeks pregnant now and I would very much like to be done and have a baby. On one hand, looking back, it feels like this pregnancy has flown by. On the other hand, it feels like this last bit has slowed to a crawl. Here's hoping little guy comes a respectable amount of time early...38 weeks would be great. I've read that's safely full term.

I hope it doesn't get worse! My wife's second pregnancy, the baby was sitting on her hips in a way that she couldn't walk without help for the last 1.5 months. She was in so much pain that that alone convinced her to never want to be pregnant again.

Oh yeah for sure!

I was actually going to add that it does make a difference of your own demeanour on the flight. Some things you will just have to resign to but I wanted to say you gotta look like you're trying. Not saying faking it, but you have to be considerate of those around you as best you can.

Oh, we'll be trying. Dear lord will we be trying. ^_^; Since the baby is only ~4 months, I'm still hyper aware of any time she cries in public and I too remember how frustrating it was to be near a crying baby on a flight. Hopefully the white noise will do it's magic on her. I've been prepping her for the last month and a half by having her nap time be in sync with the airplane setting on my white noise app. C'mon, sleep association stuff! :D

Which airlines have bassinets on business class?

We always try to get Economy Comfort (business is way too expensive from Asia) since they allow me to place the babybag/stuff next to me.

Flew with LO when she was 4,5 months (24hours long trip). She decided she only wanted mommy, so I had her on my lap for 24 hours straight... The longest flight was 12 hours and I was beyond exhausted. Thank god we got a bassinet on our way home. That was *amazing*. She slept almost the entire flight, and so did I! But I can't get one in August when we're flying again since she's too old/big (1 year). At least she can sit in her own/my seat now, so I can buckle her up there alone while preparing her food and stuff. We only have one seat, but I'm able to check the flight from an app so I can keep track of available seats. We're on Economy Comfort like I said, so hopefully that'll be enough to switch with someone on Economy if they were lucky enough to have an empty seat next to them. She's in an age where she tries to grab strangers' phones and such from the train if they sit next to us. Haha

I also found people to be more nice than I had expected. During take off and landing, most babies cry from the ear pressure. The lady next to us was doing funny faces, so our daughter stopped crying during landing. It was nice! (She had already had her milk)

Singapore Airlines. Love 'em. Between that and access to the better business lounge in Singapore we're hoping for a smooth-ish run with some breaks in between. Going to be a pain hauling so much stuff and a baby, but that's what happens when you move across the world (again). Economy comfort def sounds like a good option when we do some mini legs in Europe or to the States, though. Good call.

Our LO is 4 months and so far she's happy with either myself or my husband (thank goodness), but with the breastfeeding thing I'll probably end up doing most of the baby work anyway. He needs all his marbles to navigate us through Singapore and Munich and then drive when we get to Manchester, though, so it's all good.

And, I'm hoping people are cool, but best to expect the worst so that I'm pleasantly surprised. All fingers are crossed for a full sleep run on one of the legs like you got!

I remember the end being progressively more and more uncomfortable. Here's hoping you hit that 38 week mark and then pop!

Keri

I hope it doesn't get worse! My wife's second pregnancy, the baby was sitting on her hips in a way that she couldn't walk without help for the last 1.5 months. She was in so much pain that that alone convinced her to never want to be pregnant again.

Yikes, that sounds awful, but at least it gives me some perspective. Thankfully, I can still walk (so far). I mean, not well, but about as best as can be expected: A slow waddle that typically leaves me out of breath (because my lungs are squished). The physical limitations in pregnancy are really a strange new experience for me. My husband just keeps reminding me that we're in the home stretch, bless his heart.

I remember the end being progressively more and more uncomfortable. Here's hoping you hit that 38 week mark and then pop!

Thanks! Things are definitely getting more and more uncomfortable. Sleeping has turned back into a struggle and I'm finding I'm tired all of the time. I'm waking up multiple times a night, mostly because I'm physically uncomfortable, but I suppose it's good practice for when baby is here...Besides all my complaining, I'd also like baby to hurry up and come, so I can finally meet him and hold him in my arms!

Also, best of luck on the plane! I doubt anyone will complain to you. I also think that people will be able to see how hard you're trying to calm baby and it will endear you to them.

Ayumi

And, I'm hoping people are cool, but best to expect the worst so that I'm pleasantly surprised. All fingers are crossed for a full sleep run on one of the legs like you got!

I live by this motto, as a parent. lol
Before I gave birth, I always looked up the worst stuff. I watched tons of birth videos, even Googled stuff like "Screaming birth video" just so that I could expect things to be INSANE, but deep inside me know that it probably wouldn't be that bad. It actually helped me so much.

@Keri - Good luck! Right after birth, I was so relieved by not having to pee 10 times an hour. :3

So far, we've taken our son out to two restaurants: one he slept completely through, and the other he did not. So we're 50/50 so far, with a flight coming up in September and some weddings to attend. Here's hoping he ups that good-to-bad ratio.

RetroMG

Ugggh. So when we went for our ultrasound, the Doctor found a cyst in the baby's brain. I'm told this is often nothing to worry about, but the doctor recommended that we get a chromosome test to be sure. We got the test, and it came back fine. Yay!

Except now the insurance says the test wasn't necessary, and wants us to pay $2700. :(

brau

Ugggh. So when we went for our ultrasound, the Doctor found a cyst in the baby's brain. I'm told this is often nothing to worry about, but the doctor recommended that we get a chromosome test to be sure. We got the test, and it came back fine. Yay!

Except now the insurance says the test wasn't necessary, and wants us to pay $2700. :(

oh man... i started to read your post, cringed, and then sighed in relief.

Doesn't the Doctor determine through the insurance if the test was necessary? All in all, im glad the baby is coming along and its a healthy one :D

Ouch. If it's any consolation, though, $2700 is just a drop in the bucket compared to what we'll be paying for for the next rest of our lives.

Also, the most important thing is that the baby is okay!

RetroMG

oh man... i started to read your post, cringed, and then sighed in relief.

Doesn't the Doctor determine through the insurance if the test was necessary? All in all, im glad the baby is coming along and its a healthy one :D

I started to freak out when the doctor said it. Fortunately, my wife has been reading all kinds of pregnancy boards and it's apparently not a super rare occurrence, and usually goes away, but the doctor wanted to do additional tests to be sure.

And yeah, talking to the insurance, I think if I get a letter from the doctor explaining it, they'll cover it. Hopefully.

Ouch. If it's any consolation, though, $2700 is just a drop in the bucket compared to what we'll be paying for for the next rest of our lives.

Also, the most important thing is that the baby is okay!

LMAO I guess that's one way of looking at it.

And yeah, that is the most important thing. I've never known before how much I could love someone I've never met.

Not as bad, but our doctor had us go get a scan of my daughter's hips because they were bending a little funny or something. She said everything was probably fine, but to check in case something was developing wrong. We did it, nothing wrong, bill of $1000. I had to put off for 6 months getting a steroid shot in my arm to help the De Quervain syndrome I developed from picking my kids up and down so much while the HSA refilled. Stupid health care system, how I hate thee.

Speaking of which, if you're a stay-at-home parent especially, really watch how you're picking your kids up and down. Try not to put so much weight on your thumbs; you'll end up with extreme pain as your tendon basically pops in and out of place when you move your hand wrong and you may have to get multiple injections to help with it like me.

Ayumi

Ouch, that's horrible. But I'm glad it came back fine! Was it a normal chromosome test? I did that too, and we paid for it as well since it was optional.
Speaking of which, if you're a stay-at-home parent especially, really watch how you're picking your kids up and down. Try not to put so much weight on your thumbs; you'll end up with extreme pain as your tendon basically pops in and out of place when you move your hand wrong and you may have to get multiple injections to help with it like me.
That reminds me of something. When our daughter was newborn, she aaaalways wanted to be held. So I carrier her around literally everywhere for 2 months. This caused my wrists and fingers to mess up for a while. At one point I thought I had developed arthritis because it was so bad, especially my thumbs. They felt fractioned every time I woke up in the morning! But then I was told it was quite normal (and often called "mommy thumb"). Luckily it healed 100% after a few months.

mrkgoo

I started to freak out when the doctor said it. Fortunately, my wife has been reading all kinds of pregnancy boards and it's apparently not a super rare occurrence, and usually goes away, but the doctor wanted to do additional tests to be sure.

And yeah, talking to the insurance, I think if I get a letter from the doctor explaining it, they'll cover it. Hopefully.

LMAO I guess that's one way of looking at it.

And yeah, that is the most important thing. I've never known before how much I could love someone I've never met.

Oh man, wait until you meet them. Your world changes in an instant... What you thought was important, what you feel you need to do...what you feel you need to BE. In an instant.

Then after a few weeks it subsides, and you're knee-deep in poop, awake every2 hours, working on 2-3 hours sleep a night... :p

Seriously though, it does keep changing constantly, you have highs and lows, but damn if those highs aren't worth it.

Jarnet87

So my friend's kid is turning 1 and I'm not sure what to get for the kid/them. I was thinking about getting this Cloud B Twilight Nightlight.It's like a stuffed animal with a plastic shell that lights up and shows stars or some shit. Most of the reviews are positive just wondering if the kid is too young for it (believe it's recommended age 2 but reviews have mentioned getting them for kids 1 year or 18 months old.)

any other gift ideas outside of clothes lol?

So, as I mentioned, the flight is soon (day after tomorrow), and it took me 2 1/2 hours tonight to get down an inconsolable baby who has always previously been decent at going to bed, and my husband has spent the last 6 hours puking in the toilet. On a scale of 1-10 how scared shitless should I be now? :D

Thanks! Things are definitely getting more and more uncomfortable. Sleeping has turned back into a struggle and I'm finding I'm tired all of the time. I'm waking up multiple times a night, mostly because I'm physically uncomfortable, but I suppose it's good practice for when baby is here...Besides all my complaining, I'd also like baby to hurry up and come, so I can finally meet him and hold him in my arms!

Also, best of luck on the plane! I doubt anyone will complain to you. I also think that people will be able to see how hard you're trying to calm baby and it will endear you to them.

Yeah, the discomfort stuff is so annoying. I recommend a fast-acting pregnancy safe pain killer right before bed and then you'll get at least a few hours relief from the hip ache. Sadly, you're right, though. All that choppy sleep has served me well these past few months.

And cheers. I'll even take just not getting the same puking/intestinal dis-fortitude that my husband has at the moment right now. I don't know how the hell we're supposed to survive this if we're both down with whatever it is. :/

I live by this motto, as a parent. lol
Before I gave birth, I always looked up the worst stuff. I watched tons of birth videos, even Googled stuff like "Screaming birth video" just so that I could expect things to be INSANE, but deep inside me know that it probably wouldn't be that bad. It actually helped me so much.

@Keri - Good luck! Right after birth, I was so relieved by not having to pee 10 times an hour. :3

Well, I was expecting the worst in terms of flight stuff, but now there's puking. Loooots of puking going on right now.

And haha/you're crazy at the video stuff. I actively avoided all that. Even when I was giving birth and they kept asking me if I wanted a look in the mirror down there to get 'inspired' to push I was like, hell no! Just get it out! :D

So my friend's kid is turning 1 and I'm not sure what to get for the kid/them. I was thinking about getting this Cloud B Twilight Nightlight.It's like a stuffed animal with a plastic shell that lights up and shows stars or some shit. Most of the reviews are positive just wondering if the kid is too young for it (believe it's recommended age 2 but reviews have mentioned getting them for kids 1 year or 18 months old.)

any other gift ideas outside of clothes lol?
I got this dancing robot for two of my friends' 1-year olds. I'm not sure what's so great about it, but it's very highly rated everywhere.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VJKT0LK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

That's the Amazon link, but they were on sale at Walmart for like $28 last week. We also added some personalized towels from Disney and some clothes.

Ayumi

Well, I was expecting the worst in terms of flight stuff, but now there's puking. Loooots of puking going on right now.

And haha/you're crazy at the video stuff. I actively avoided all that. Even when I was giving birth and they kept asking me if I wanted a look in the mirror down there to get 'inspired' to push I was like, hell no! Just get it out! :D
Aww.. Sorry to hear that, I hope your hubby feels better soon, and whoever else is sick! If you're afraid of getting it too, just remember that most adults who get the stomach flu actually don't vomit, so it could be food poisoning?

Speaking of birth.. I asked my doctor for a mirror, then changed my mind when she said she had one. lmao

And when I started pushing, she wanted me to look at her, and I realized "Oh god, I can see EVERYTHING in the reflection of her glasses!" They were huge glasses covering half of her face, it was basically a mirror and I saw it all....... lol. It wasn't that bad actually. I now wish I had asked for a proper mirror - will do next time. And when the head was a little out, I said "Oh hey, I see the head in your glasses". She asked if I wanted to touch it....... Of course! I reached between my legs and gently stroked the top of her (baby's) head.

Thinking of it, maybe I am crazy. But it was all so worth it!

This is really weird, but I've been dreaming of being able to grab and pull out my own baby. lol

DjRalford

My wife is switching from Prozac to Zoloft, and she's having a lot of trouble adjusting. She's had a few minor breakdowns since starting the Zoloft, which means I've been taking more care of the baby. This is very draining for me. I'm doing my best to help but most (all?) days I feel like a zombie... I began cooking earlier tonight, and blinked, and suddenly I was sat down with an empty plate in front of me and everything between starting the food and taking the last bite was gone. I get dizzy spells sometimes and have been dropping a lot of things, like my fingers just give out. I tried to set a doctor's appointment but nothing was available for nearly two months.

Any mothers on antidepressants: how are you faring? Has anything else helped you? I want to do what I can to support my wife, but every day I feel like my own health is slipping farther into the deep end, and I don't know if I can keep my footing much longer.

Yes you need to support her, but if your health takes a nosedive the baby suffers, talk with each other when babys settled or maybe get a relative to look after the baby for a few hours so you can talk, plan together and make it so you both have your own time even if at the moment you get less of it so she is not struggling.

ColdPizza

Banned
My wife is switching from Prozac to Zoloft, and she's having a lot of trouble adjusting. She's had a few minor breakdowns since starting the Zoloft, which means I've been taking more care of the baby. This is very draining for me. I'm doing my best to help but most (all?) days I feel like a zombie... I began cooking earlier tonight, and blinked, and suddenly I was sat down with an empty plate in front of me and everything between starting the food and taking the last bite was gone. I get dizzy spells sometimes and have been dropping a lot of things, like my fingers just give out. I tried to set a doctor's appointment but nothing was available for nearly two months.

Any mothers on antidepressants: how are you faring? Has anything else helped you? I want to do what I can to support my wife, but every day I feel like my own health is slipping farther into the deep end, and I don't know if I can keep my footing much longer.

My wife JUST got a prescription for Zoloft today. I'll let you know how it goes. She's been a little stressed out lately I guess. Hope this helps.

Aww.. Sorry to hear that, I hope your hubby feels better soon, and whoever else is sick! If you're afraid of getting it too, just remember that most adults who get the stomach flu actually don't vomit, so it could be food poisoning?

Speaking of birth.. I asked my doctor for a mirror, then changed my mind when she said she had one. lmao

And when I started pushing, she wanted me to look at her, and I realized "Oh god, I can see EVERYTHING in the reflection of her glasses!" They were huge glasses covering half of her face, it was basically a mirror and I saw it all....... lol. It wasn't that bad actually. I now wish I had asked for a proper mirror - will do next time. And when the head was a little out, I said "Oh hey, I see the head in your glasses". She asked if I wanted to touch it....... Of course! I reached between my legs and gently stroked the top of her (baby's) head.

Thinking of it, maybe I am crazy. But it was all so worth it!

This is really weird, but I've been dreaming of being able to grab and pull out my own baby. lol

Cheers. Right now 3/5 in the house are tossing their cookies, but my husband seems to be a bit better. He was the first to set off, so maybe it's just a 24-hr bug. Hoping like hell he keeps on the up and up. I did wonder if it might be food poisoning, but the timing is all off since he got hit yesterday and no one else felt anything till after dinner last night. It's nasty, whatever it is.

And man, you're braver than me. Mine was a water birth so the mirror was obscured a bit when they did ask me to look, but it was the touching the head that really weirded me out. We're total opposites. :)

Haha @ the weird dreams. What few dreams I have these days during longer stretches are depressingly mundane. Have you found that a lot of yours are baby-centric, or just weird?

How long has she been on the Zoloft? I've heard it takes quite a bit (2+ months sometimes) for it to start making a difference and even out the mood swings. I have heard mostly positive stories about it on the WTE forums, though. I've also heard good things about regularly attending mother's groups from my husband's sister who had postpartum depression something terrible (if your wife isn't already part of one). She's also on anti-depressants, but not sure which. The combo made a huge difference, apparently.

I'm sorry you guys are having such a struggle with it all. I don't suppose there are any baby sleep clinics in or near your area...? There are numerous ones here in OZ and they can generally sort out baby sleep issues. Again, not sure what you've tried or considered, but it's something that might be worth looking into. Hang in there, man.

mrkgoo

Baby is rarely settled. That's part of the problem. My wife and I are both in poor shape right now, for some reasons similar, some different. She has been trying to help me out but even small efforts seem big for her. I am trying to understand. I think i am taking on more than I can handle. I cook every meal, I do the majority of housework, I do all the yard work, and I drop it all whenever she needs something. I am trying to encourage her to do more, but I don't want to put undue stress on her. She has had a hard year. At the same time, I feel like I can't keep up with all my responsibilities. I'm not emotionally overwhelmed, but I am physically overwhelmed. Hers is the opposite problem. I'm sure we are more or less in the same boat as other parents of young children. If we had more than one my world would be some sort of absurd nightmare existence. Just wish the kid would sleep, really. That's the number one thing that is keeping me down. Every hour or two we're still getting up to settle him. He'll be a year old July 12. I hope his sleeping improves soon. He's actually been worse the past two weeks than maybe ever before.

Your situation sounds a little like mine. I'm the one full time with our second kid, and I've found it overwhelming at times. Like full on breakdown. I have other issues that I have to deal with at the same time, and this makes it tough. When my second kid (~ 1 yo) went into their teething phase and upset routines, sleeping, eating etc, it really got to me several times.

His sleep pattern was really rough and was made worse by the fact that I was forced to rock him to sleep (something I learnt from the first one NOT to do - because they learn to rely on YOU as their sleep aid, meaning any time they need to sleep, they need YOU). But circumstances being what they were, there was no other choice (in short my wife left for a couple weeks, and I was trying to manage two kids, with the baby getting weaned from breast feeding cold turkey).

It was rough, getting only 2-3 hours sleep a night, mostly broken up, and even after my wife returned, it has taken a while to settle into anything resembling a routine. with a lot of hard work, we've manage to train him a little to sleep on his own, so that eases things.

He's teething though, which is really rough. Parents with rough tethers know how it is. starts teething so chews on things, but loses appetite and sleep, but is ironically hungry and tired all the time.

I don't have any advice, but to share my own experiences (and it hasn't ended yet!), but rest assured you're not alone. For me, knowing that helps get me through. For you, it does seem you might be pulling more than your fair share of work - and that is always hard to gauge, because "work" in parenting is by its very nature very unbalanced and hard to compare. For women, it usually means waking every few hours, nursing etc. it can be very dangerous for either party to assume their own workload is more "important".

I remember what it was like with our first kid, it seemed rough at the time, but with our second, everything sort of naturally fell into place (and yes, it's tough), because when you're not dealing with baby's stuff, you're dealing with the other kid. It wasn't until our second kid di my wife and I realise what it meant to actually work together as a team., because before, our first child would have two doting parents, and one could rest or get other stuff done. With two, the logistics are exponentially more difficult and demanding.

As for sleep, we utilised a sleep training regime for our first kid...now I don't believe in magic bullets, but all things you research yourself, you pull out what you feel are the important bullet-points and modify to how you feel is most appropriate, but sleep training for us basically involved letting our kid know they didn't need us to go to sleep (and more importantly go BACK to sleep). The idea was to set up a routine that basically was a way of communicating to them that sleep time was coming, and to stick to it. Gradually they get used to the idea, and we modified the routine to start including things that helped, and to remove things that we didn't want.

best of luck.

Top Bottom