• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ParentGaf OT: Birth, Bib and Beyond

Has anyone tried gender neutral parenting? Sounds incredibly tough but worth doing. Currently reading Delusions Of Gender and has a lot about it. Of how pervasive and unconscious society's reaches on kids are, and how we unconsciously conform to the status quo.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Has anyone tried gender neutral parenting? Sounds incredibly tough but worth doing. Currently reading Delusions Of Gender and has a lot about it. Of how pervasive and unconscious society's reaches on kids are, and how we unconsciously conform to the status quo.

I'm really wary about things like this. Ever so many years ago when I was young, some friends of my parents were so proud and effusive and never shut up about how they had jumped through all sorts of hoops and self-help books and quality-time parenting to successfully bring their children up to be non-competitive (this was the early '70s). Needless to say, out of sight of the parents, the two kids were the most aggressively competitive cheating asshole brats I have ever come across before and since.

mrkgoo

I encouraged my daughter to play with whatever she wanted. She turned out pretty girly nevertheless. It's gotta be her daycare - you can't fight her peers!

zbarron

My wife is switching from Prozac to Zoloft, and she's having a lot of trouble adjusting. She's had a few minor breakdowns since starting the Zoloft, which means I've been taking more care of the baby. This is very draining for me. I'm doing my best to help but most (all?) days I feel like a zombie... I began cooking earlier tonight, and blinked, and suddenly I was sat down with an empty plate in front of me and everything between starting the food and taking the last bite was gone. I get dizzy spells sometimes and have been dropping a lot of things, like my fingers just give out. I tried to set a doctor's appointment but nothing was available for nearly two months.

Any mothers on antidepressants: how are you faring? Has anything else helped you? I want to do what I can to support my wife, but every day I feel like my own health is slipping farther into the deep end, and I don't know if I can keep my footing much longer.
My wife is on Zoloft and the adjustment period is hitting her really hard too. She was on it for a couple weeks and then we all got really sick and she couldn't keep it down. Now she's basically at square one starting it again. She's also been struggling with it and I've tried to take on more with our two kids. It's definitely taken it's toll but I remind myself that it's temporary and she'll feel a lot better once she's adjusted to it. It is definitely hard in the meantime. Gabe, our 5 year old isn't getting that he has to be quiet when the baby is napping so we're not having many successful naps, which means crankier baby and worse sleep. Nick's back to being up every few hours at best and not sleeping at all when not on me at worst. I don't know if it's the fact that he's still a little sick and has a stuffy nose or the lack or naps or something else.

Have you talked to your wife about how you're feeling? I know it's hard with what she's going through but I'm sure you know how important communication is. If you're dropping things and spacing out you may just need a break to recharge so to speak. You don't want to drop the baby or anything.
We don't go full gender neutral but if our oldest son wants to do something that is traditionally feminine we encourage him to do whatever he wants for play. He has a stay at home father who he watches care for a baby and a full time working mom so that alone isn't traditional.

mrkgoo

Thanks for the advice, guys. I've talked to my wife about it, and she has a lot of guilt about not helping more. She's stayed up later than me a couple of nights to clean up a little, but it's after these nights that she's been worst, as if cleaning takes an inordinate toll on her (and I believe it does). I don't know how to ease her back into normal activities. She's been on the Zoloft now for almost three weeks, but she's taking it alongside Prozac, and at the end of June she'll switch to Zoloft completely. The Prozac was no longer working for her, so she was forced to switch. She's been having small anxiety attacks and she's been emotionally overwhelmed by things at work. She's had to make a couple of business trips, so I've been left alone with the baby, while also working full time. I'm on a variable schedule, sometimes getting up at 4 a.m., sometimes as late as 8 a.m., and these big switches can't be good for establishing a routine for the baby. It feels like every time we set some sort of pattern, a new obstacle comes up that resets it.

Since starting the Zoloft, my wife has been a little less depressed, but a lot more aggressive. I don't know if that's because changes take place immediately, or she's having a little placebo effect, or if it's unrelated to the medication and due only to her mood. I can't guess. But she's been saying "I can't do this right now," and leaving me alone with the baby while she wanders off and texts her friends, or sits on the porch or by the pool, and even if she's having a rough time it's difficult not to feel walked on at that point.

She's still breastfeeding, so while I'm usually the one who gets the baby from the crib and puts him back, she's still up feeding him. She's recently been falling asleep while he feeds, so I wake up and find he's fallen on the ground (mattress is on the floor, so no big problem), or he's half underneath one of us. He's big enough now that this is less of a problem than it is with a very young infant, but it's not teaching him good sleep habits. It's not getting him used to sleeping on his own.

We tried letting him cry it out a couple of nights, but he just kept crying. The first night we lasted about five hours listening to him scream before giving up, the second he began to smack his head against the backboard of his crib and we were forced to take him out. That was a few months ago now, so maybe it's time to try again.

"Crying it out" is only a useful strategy if you have a plan. The key goal is to let your baby know they can sleep on their own. Let me suggest a book called "sleep sense".

Again, I don't believe in magic bullets not so I subscribe to saying any one technique will work for everyone or that even if it's any good. I took a look and gleaned the basis of the techniques idea and made my own version.

But in short it's about training your child. also depends on the age (like not sure what age your kid is not whether they sleep through the night or not yet, so depends on what yor goal is). The brief concept is to establish a short routine before bed time, say 10-15 minutes. You don't stray from this, especially for the first while. This is communicating your child that bedtime is coming. Maybe even at first you don't upset the way he sleeps at the very end f the routine just yet.

Then when you feel ready, you encourage them to sleep without whatever part you are finding difficult. For me, it was carrying them around (sometimes for an hour). I initially started by doing a routine then carrying them to sleep then placing into cot asleep. I have got it down to placing them
In awake and usually he will sleep himself after that. My next step once that is more established is to do it so I don't have to be in the room while he tries to sleep himself.

But yeah, crying was involved but if steadfast and attempted at the right time you do minimise all of that.

It's a really rough time and it's still not 100% for us. But we'll get there. We just didn't want to be one of those parents where our 4-year old still needs us as a sleep aid (which I know of).

I'm really wary about things like this. Ever so many years ago when I was young, some friends of my parents were so proud and effusive and never shut up about how they had jumped through all sorts of hoops and self-help books and quality-time parenting to successfully bring their children up to be non-competitive (this was the early '70s). Needless to say, out of sight of the parents, the two kids were the most aggressively competitive cheating asshole brats I have ever come across before and since.
A bit tangential to gender neutrality, but I've got nothing against competition. It seems like a good thing.
I encouraged my daughter to play with whatever she wanted. She turned out pretty girly nevertheless. It's gotta be her daycare - you can't fight her peers!
Haha! That's good you tried.
We don't go full gender neutral but if our oldest son wants to do something that is traditionally feminine we encourage him to do whatever he wants for play. He has a stay at home father who he watches care for a baby and a full time working mom so that alone isn't traditional.
Cool! With career women increasing every generation and their wages being high enough to support the family, more stay at home dads makes sense.

mrkgoo

A bit tangential to gender neutrality, but I've got nothing against competition. It seems like a good thing.

Haha! That's good you tried.

Cool! With career women increasing every generation and their wages being high enough to support the family, more stay at home dads makes sense.

My daughter likes Star Wars, while not totally gender neutral, you gotta admit it leans more towards boys. Her favourite character appears to be Leia, though.... Because she's a princess :/

H Pro did you make it in one piece?

Define 'one piece'. ^_^;

Funny you should post as it's 5:30AM here in England and I'm walking the mini around until she hits the next 90 min cycle because her jet-lag still has her thinking it's day. That's been a bit rough (up at 1, 2, 4, 5...), but overall...not too bad.

The flights were mostly as expected. No one was an asshole or even said much of anything except the teenager behind me who only sniffed in response when I apologized for the crying during the end of the second leg. I got 1.5 hours of sleep the entire 30 hr trip and only during the stopover in Singapore because we stayed at the transit hotel for a bit.

First leg she couldn't sleep at all because the bassinets, even locked in, are at a slight slope so she'd always get squashed into one of the sides, but she was very happy and goobery overall. Not much crying there. She hit a wall in Singapore and we did the transit hotel thing to give her a proper laying down nap for a few hours. The second leg from Singapore to Munich was the hardest as we finally did get her to sleep in the bassinet on her back/swaddled for a few hours, but the turbulence was so bad that every time the seatbelt light went off I had to take her out and hold her until it passed. So, no sleep for me, and she was awake the last 6 hours and unable to nap bc, again, turbulence made it nearly impossible to even get her in the bassinet at that point (it's required that you hold babies during that). Hit my own wall last few hours bc when it finally seemed like I might get a bit of sleep, every time my husband took her she'd start screaming (nothing he did, she was just past her point of no return and only feeding seemed to help). Last leg was just zonky and we took turns bouncing her. I think waiting with her in Manchester airport was harder than that leg, though. Poor thing was inconsolable.

Basically, she did better than expected but it was still pretty rough bc of the no breaks thing. And right now it's just dealing with a messed up baby sleep schedule from jet-lag. We have a new coffee machine, though, so I'm back in the game! :D

O2oHsqc.jpg

How's everyone else doing?

Not too hot tonight. Jacob is very snotty and sniffly tonight and is having trouble breathing because of all of the snots, so he's sleeping in his swing tonight. Andrew is having some stomach issues and not only that, he has a very visibile hemmoroid or bump on his butt that is causing him some discomfort :/ It's been a very tough night and I hope they sleep through the night tonight. We will get them to the pediatrician tomorrow.

RetroMG

Have any of you tried playing music for baby in the womb? I swear to God I'm not usually the guy who would do this stuff but my wife wanted to try it. We started with Beethoven and Tchaikovsky, then my wife moved to her exercise playlist, which had Kelly Clarkson and Katy Perry. Each time a new song started, baby would wriggle and kick for a minute and then settle down until the next song started.

Have any of you tried playing music for baby in the womb? I swear to God I'm not usually the guy who would do this stuff but my wife wanted to try it. We started with Beethoven and Tchaikovsky, then my wife moved to her exercise playlist, which had Kelly Clarkson and Katy Perry. Each time a new song started, baby would wriggle and kick for a minute and then settle down until the next song started.
Yes, actually. We played classical music for him in the womb. It's funny because after he was born, my sister-in-law tried to play some pop or something for him, and he wouldn't have any of that nonsense. "He doesn't like bad music," I got to explain.

Define 'one piece'. ^_^;

Funny you should post as it's 5:30AM here in England and I'm walking the mini around until she hits the next 90 min cycle because her jet-lag still has her thinking it's day. That's been a bit rough (up at 1, 2, 4, 5...), but overall...not too bad.

The flights were mostly as expected. No one was an asshole or even said much of anything except the teenager behind me who only sniffed in response when I apologized for the crying during the end of the second leg. I got 1.5 hours of sleep the entire 30 hr trip and only during the stopover in Singapore because we stayed at the transit hotel for a bit.

First leg she couldn't sleep at all because the bassinets, even locked in, are at a slight slope so she'd always get squashed into one of the sides, but she was very happy and goobery overall. Not much crying there. She hit a wall in Singapore and we did the transit hotel thing to give her a proper laying down nap for a few hours. The second leg from Singapore to Munich was the hardest as we finally did get her to sleep in the bassinet on her back/swaddled for a few hours, but the turbulence was so bad that every time the seatbelt light went off I had to take her out and hold her until it passed. So, no sleep for me, and she was awake the last 6 hours and unable to nap bc, again, turbulence made it nearly impossible to even get her in the bassinet at that point (it's required that you hold babies during that). Hit my own wall last few hours bc when it finally seemed like I might get a bit of sleep, every time my husband took her she'd start screaming (nothing he did, she was just past her point of no return and only feeding seemed to help). Last leg was just zonky and we took turns bouncing her. I think waiting with her in Manchester airport was harder than that leg, though. Poor thing was inconsolable.

Basically, she did better than expected but it was still pretty rough bc of the no breaks thing. And right now it's just dealing with a messed up baby sleep schedule from jet-lag. We have a new coffee machine, though, so I'm back in the game! :D

How's everyone else doing?
Glad you made it :) We're taking Pete on a cross country flight to California on Wednesday so quite a bit shorter than your trek.

Smokey

Any suggestions for nap time? My 3.5 month old seems to prefer short and quick power naps. But at night he goes down around 10 and sleeps until 2-3a, at which point hes hungry. We feed him and then he's out until about 7a, feed him, and usually down until 930-10a.

He has no problem falling asleep for a nap, but if we're not holding him he won't stay down for nothing.

mrkgoo

Any suggestions for nap time? My 3.5 month old seems to prefer short and quick power naps. But at night he goes down around 10 and sleeps until 2-3a, at which point hes hungry. We feed him and then he's out until about 7a, feed him, and usually down until 930-10a.

He has no problem falling asleep for a nap, but if we're not holding him he won't stay down for nothing.

I gave a brief rundown of the sleep training technique we used above.

Our second one has been tough having exclusively been "carried" to sleep. Went from that to sleeping on his own in a cot in about a week. Sure he fights it sometimes, but other times he will just roll around in the cot and sleep himself. He has sleep aids (loves to chew on a particular cloth), but otherwise headed in the right direction.

We found a good time to initiate training is when they're tired anyway, so they sleep more quickly. Key is to teach them they don't need you to sleep.

Sigh. Posting from the ER. Turns out that bump on Andrew's butt was an abcessed staph infection. He's going to have to stay overnight and then have it removed tomorrow. The size of it internally was apparently the size of his foot :( Hopefully this will all be routine and he'll be out by tomorrow.

Sigh. Posting from the ER. Turns out that bump on Andrew's butt was an abcessed staph infection. He's going to have to stay overnight and then have it removed tomorrow. The size of it internally was apparently the size of his foot :( Hopefully this will all be routine and he'll be out by tomorrow.
Hope everything goes ok.

zbarron

We're still having trouble with sleep and naps. Does anyone here have any experience with sleep training? We don't want to do Cry It Out or the Ferber method, and want to try something like PUPD or a no cry method where we comfort him every time he cries, but put him down before he is asleep.

Glad you made it :) We're taking Pete on a cross country flight to California on Wednesday so quite a bit shorter than your trek.

Yeah, not as bad as I'd feared. Your trip will go just fine too. Pete's at a perfect age for travel. Just give him a bit of a feed on take-off and he'll probably snooze the whole way. :)

Good luck!

Mine just turned 4 months, so similar age, but I started having success with her day naps around three months. We aimed for 3 naps a day with the first starting around 10-11 and the last no later than 5PM. For her day naps we always put her on her stomach (night is on her back) and have white noise playing very loudly. Her neck is very strong and she can easily turn it side to side, plus these naps are all supervised (meaning I check in on her pretty frequently), but many people are still concerned with SIDs at this stage, so it's up to you to decide if you're comfortable with it. I have found it very effective, though. She doesn't get hamstringed by the startle reflex when on her tummy and apparently they feel very cozy hugging the mattress. She's also been able to self-sooth/resettle really well in this position. I put her down when I see the sleep signs (eye-rubbing, yawning, irritability, etc.) and pretty often I can just lay her down and butt pat until she falls asleep. Sometimes I also rock her to drowsiness and then lay her down, but I don't have to depend on it to get her to sleep which I've heard will save us some grief later.

Anyway, using this method/schedule I usually get 1hr-2hr naps, 3 x a day. It's kept me sane as I try to navigate the far less successful nights.

Sorry to hear that. :( Wishing you guys better health for your boys and a quick recovery for this.

We're still having trouble with sleep and naps. Does anyone here have any experience with sleep training? We don't want to do Cry It Out or the Ferber method, and want to try something like PUPD or a no cry method where we comfort him every time he cries, but put him down before he is asleep.

Hmmm... We do a bit of controlled crying (no more than 5-10 mins to self-settle and never let her get hysterical) which we've had a bit of success with. Are you guys totally against even self-settling crying? It's really been great for her naps and somewhat at night. Usually when she wakes up during that dreaded 15min, 30min and 40min mark she's able to put herself right back down thanks to that.

As some of you may know, both my 14 month old daughters have some health issues. One more than the other though and had a lung collapse at birth. Since then she has to be hospitalized whenever she gets a cough or sniffle and put on oxygen and a feeding tube for a few days.

The doctors thought she may have cystic fibrosis but we were only recently able to send her for testing. After months of worrying she may have a condition that would mean she wouldn't live past her 30's, we got good news that she doesn't have it. We are still testing to hopefully find out what it is, but CF was the worst case scenario to rule out. We also have some medication and a couple of different inhalers to help with her breathing and she's been doing a bit better the last couple of days.

To top it off they both had their MMR jabs the other week and have been miserable and feverish. Fun times.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
Birth is scheduled for 27 days from today.

I don't feel anything. Been wondering how long we should wait to look for a new house.

mrkgoo

I don't feel anything. Been wondering how long we should wait to look for a new house.

That feeling of no feeling can be normal, I figure. You wonder if there's anything wrong with you, whether you will get that feeling that most parents seem to love to scream about when they have kids "my life has changed I now know purpose"etc. you wonder if you'll make a good parent, if the kid will like you etc etc.

I figure it's all part of the anxiety of impending life-altering event.

You will get that feeling though. The moment you have your kid in your arms.

(Well to be fair some people don't, and the fact that they don't can concern them, but don't be. It takes time to process sometimes)

Andrew's surgery took less than 5 minutes yesterday.*phew* He came home today and is all smiles and comfortable farts. Thank goodness it wasn't anything more severe.

RetroMG

Andrew's surgery took less than 5 minutes yesterday.*phew* He came home today and is all smiles and comfortable farts. Thank goodnessit wasn't anything more severe.

"All smiles and comfortable farts" made me laugh.

We went back for another ultrasound today, (they didn't get a good look at baby's spine last time,) and the cyst in her brain is gone. I know it's not uncommon and they told us it would probably go away, but it actually being gone is a huge relief.

They also said that they would send a letter to the insurance company about the "Medical necessity" of the chromosome test they're charging us for.

Things are looking up!

Dalek

My daughter just turned 8 and it was as if someone flipped a switch in her head. She's so...moody and angry!

My wife has been sick with pnuemonia so I've been taking over a lot of the parenting and chores, etc. My daughter expressed anger with me that she "Wasn't getting attention" and that mom was getting all the attention.

Anytime we have to tell her "no, it's too late for that" or "You're already had enough sugar" she screams "YOU'RE SO MEAN!!!!!!!"

Andrew's surgery took less than 5 minutes yesterday.*phew* He came home today and is all smiles and comfortable farts. Thank goodnessit wasn't anything more severe.
Great news :)

Yeah, not as bad as I'd feared. Your trip will go just fine too. Pete's at a perfect age for travel. Just give him a bit of a feed on take-off and he'll probably snooze the whole way. :)

He did great. Not any issues at all. Now to see how he adjusts to the time change.

Icefire1424

I've always been told that the first time you hold your new child in your arms, it's like someone flips a switch. You immediately switch over from an "individual" to "parent mode", and your whole world changes.

Well, yea, your whole world changes sure, but I never had that "moment" personally. To me, it felt like nothing much changed at that very moment moment, except for the mountain of new responsibilities I was now facing. To be honest, I felt more anxious and unsure of myself than overjoyed or lovestruck by this tiny crying thing that was just placed in my arms. I felt legitimately awful for that, because everyone said I would immediately connect and fall in love with my child, but it didn't happen that way.

For some people, it takes time. Childbirth brings about so many unknowns, so many challenges and so many emotions, that it's understandable people will react differently. It took me awhile, but two years on and my little one has completely won me over. While at first I was anxious and uncertain with the loss of freedom and the added responsibility, but I can't imagine my life without my daughter now. Even if it took me a little bit of time to get there.

Reason I'm saying all of this - it's not uncommon to "not feel anything" at first, or even when your child gets here. Everyone reacts differently. And just because your reaction my not be the Hollywood representation of immediately and unconditionally falling in love with your child, doesn't necessarily mean something is wrong. If you do start to feel stressed, or depressed however, make sure to talk to your spouse or a professional. Not saying you will need to of course, but it does help to be open with all the things you're feeling. Believe me, it's a hell of a ride with some serious ups and downs, but it's worth every bit, I assure you.

Good luck mate, and congrats.

SPCTRE

ParentGAF, I can finally stop lurking - the wife is entering week 14 today :)

(we started announcing it last week, it was really hard not to tell anybody for so long :))

Some of you may remember my story about my daughter's "problem friend," who I referred to as K, from a few weeks ago. Well, K has been back in the picture the past couple of weeks, since summer started, really...which is kind of good as most of Mia's other friends on the street are in full-time day care during the summer...

...and kind of bad because we still have a lot of problems with K, especially her complete disregard for the boundaries of other people. Today she was in my house for three and a half hours and I thought I was gonna lose my marbles by the time she left. In fact this is something that I am considering addressing directly with her in the very near future, and I am absolutely loathe to insert myself into my daughter's relationships in this way. I probably won't do it, but boy was I ready to by the time she left today.

The shit that comes out of this kid's mouth, though. Some of it is really reflective of a troubled home life, like the other day when she laughingly referred to her bedtime as "whenever I pass out," or like today when she casually told me over a game of Uno that her mother had a heart attack a week and a half ago, and when I tried to expressed sympathy she waved it away by saying she hates her mom's guts, all they do is shout at each other all the time, and she wishes she was dead. At first I was thoroughly convinced it was a tough girl act but as the scene continued to unfold I started to have my doubts, especially because she has expressed resentment for her mother before. I dunno, I didn't get along with my dad when I was that age (because he was frightening and abusive), but an event like that would have scared me into a catatonic state nonetheless. Maybe I'm wrong? I'm trying to give her all the benefit of the doubt because I can't imagine what it would be like to go through that at that age. But she didn't make it easy.

Regardless, unless something truly abusive is going on there, that's probably not my business either way. Much more bothersome was when she told my daughter right in front of me that she was going to get fat by the time she gets to fifth grade, because "everybody does." (Mia will be entering fourth grade in the fall) "You should see all the kids in fifth grade," she says, "they're all fat...except the little tiny kids I guess but you don't want to be one of those." I really did not know what to do while it was happening, I was totally speechless. Perhaps I should not have been, but I couldn't think of a good way to insert myself in that conversation without hurting anybody, as K herself, as you may have guessed, is overweight...and Mia is, indeed, one of those "little tiny kids." I'm sure K just sees her as small because she's a couple years younger than her, but Mia has always been petite for her age, like her mom.

Now, I'm not too worried about my kid's body image...not yet, anyway. She eats healthy, she's fit and active and she always seems very comfortable in her own skin. She handled the situation really damn well, telling K point-blank she didn't want to talk about it anymore, and when K ignored her and kept going anyway she changed the conversation herself and K dropped it. I had a sit-down with Mia after K went home, and that went well too. She did not seem particularly bothered by what had happened and she didn't seem to suddenly be worried about her weight.

But I still remember when she was seven years old and some off-handed comment from a distant relative that I can't even remember the details of (something fairly innocent but careless about what a cute baby she was because fat babies are the cutest) lead to her checking herself on the scale every night until we got rid of it. So it's not like she's invulnerable to this. And of course my wife pointed out as soon as she got home that Mia's reaching an age where she is going to be dealing with this stuff all the fucking time with her peers and we'll all just have to learn good strategies to deal with that. ARRRGH. Man. I know raising boys is hard too, I had three brothers growing up and believe me I know it's hard in its own way, but girls have it so fucking hard socially, and it begins so early it's cruel. I never had to deal with any of this shit when I was growing up. My wife wasn't phased by what had gone down one bit.

Anyway. I'm not really looking for advice this time around. Just needed to vent. For the first time I feel like I'm totally unprepared for a new developmental/social stage and it scares me but good. I'm glad this thread is here because it could be a long summer.

zbarron

Hmmm... We do a bit of controlled crying (no more than 5-10 mins to self-settle and never let her get hysterical) which we've had a bit of success with. Are you guys totally against even self-settling crying? It's really been great for her naps and somewhat at night. Usually when she wakes up during that dreaded 15min, 30min and 40min mark she's able to put herself right back down thanks to that.
Turns out the method involed some/that's what it turned into. He's doing alright at night but naps are a challenge. Are you using a specific method?

effzee

My 2 and 4 month old just recently stopped caring for food. His weight loss coupled with growth spurt in height is jarring.

He went from chubby jolly baby who ate 3 really good meals and (snacks like fruits, carrots, and cucumbers) to now shunning most meals and only wanting ice cream and cookies.

Any advice? Just a phase?

On top of that he gets constipated every few days cause he holds his movements (had 1 painful experience). We got him checked out by a top kids endo doc and he did the full blood work /check up and said no issues.

RetroMG

(we started announcing it last week, it was really hard not to tell anybody for so long :))

Welcome and congratulations! That wait until it's safe to start telling people is awful.

JoeNut

Hey we will both be due January then?

My fiancée is 12 weeks today, we've slowly been telling people this week, although told parents 2 weeks back. Congrats!!!

SPCTRE

Thanks everyone! We are super hype

Hey we will both be due January then?

My fiancée is 12 weeks today, we've slowly been telling people this week, although told parents 2 weeks back. Congrats!!!
Thanks, and to you as well! Yup, due date is January 4. Year of the NX :D

Chucker

I've always been told that the first time you hold your new child in your arms, it's like someone flips a switch. You immediately switch over from an "individual" to "parent mode", and your whole world changes.

I'm definitely in Dad mode now. I used to be able to watch whatever I wanted with it having no toll on me. I remember TLOU came out and my oldest was 2. I got to that part in the beginning and had to put it down.

Recently, in my second job (more on that later) at the gas station I've seen kids just turning 18 and getting smokes. It takes EVERYTHING I HAVE to bite my tongue. Especially this one kid, looked like a track star and came in for marlboros 3 days after he turned 18.

So yeah, I'm familiar with "Parent Mode", I'm certain it exists.

That wait is excruciating, and anything can happen during it. Luckily my wife had two mundane pregnancies and nothing to worry about. I remember we told our parents around this time for the first kid, and the 2nd was at Christmas in the form of a month on a calendar.

This is troublesome. When my dad had a stroke when I was in my teens it basically shook me to my core. We weren't as close as we used to be, mainly because he was being a good dad, and I was being an asshole teen. The comment about the heart attack bothers me, or maybe she's too young to understand and doesn't have a concept of death (Not a horrible thing at that age).
It's a pickle, man. It sounds like K needs good friends, positive reinforcement, but at the same time you don't want to undermine Mia's development with a negative influence.
You've got some choices ahead of you.

As for me. I started my 2nd job to recoup some of my lost wages 3 weeks ago. It's been interesting. I was expecting maybe 3 nights a week, with one being a weekend.
I've never seen more drama in my life, and this is a Safeway Gas Station. I show up, do my work and leave, but man some of these people need better outlets.

2 weeks ago I was offered a supervisory position at my new job and took it, which was a nice raise and a lot of work. The day flies by, the only problem now is that I have a half hour commute, 10 minutes to eat and see my kids and then go to Job 2.

It's working out, but I've basically played no games in a month, and am losing my interest in them at all. It's kind of a bummer.

Oh well!

Tankshell

Our little guy is 2 weeks 2 days old now. I have never felt this exhausted in all my life. Waking up at 2 hour intervals through the night like clockwork for feeding/nappy change. Zzzzzzzzzz.

Not even fired up Steam since he was born, literally can't even think of a moment when I actually would have had time. Thinking of getting into IOS gaming for a bit... seen as I always have my phone in my pocket.

He's awesome though :)

Vyer

My 19 mo old took a fall at the playground...6 hours later he's home with a few stitches in his face. I hate ERs and a less than 2 year old having to get stitches is....rough.

zbarron

My 19 mo old took a fall at the playground...6 hours later he's home with a few stitches in his face. I hate ERs and a less than 2 year old having to get stitches is....rough.
I'm so sorry to hear that. It always sucks when your kids get hurt.

Last night was a little rough. Both kids woke up at 4AM and wouldn't go back down. One would fall asleep then the other one's crying would wake him up. I ended up putting them both in my bed where they instantly fell asleep. It was really cute but ideally not something I'll make a habit of.
28091821885_0f477125e7_b.jpg

Top Bottom