• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paris Terrorist Attacks, 120+ dead. Do not post hearsay/unsourced/old news.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who ever is calling out Saudi Arabia please see what ISIS have done there, ISIS blew up both Sunni and Shia mosques. They called the Saudi royal family as America and Israel hand in the Middle East.

If any government in the Middle East really wants to show there good intentions let them stop financing or supporting any group, Brotherhood or Maltia with money and AND weapons.

lednerg

Anyone who wants to blame western culture for this is absolutely fucked. Radical Islam sympathizers.

We shouldn't have taken Saddam out by force like we did. He was secular, after all, and useful to keep certain forces at bay. It should have been a CIA job, get the citizens to create a rift from within. Instead, we stomped in there with no direction or exit plan and then followed that up with de-ba'athification, the stupidest fucking policy imaginable. Bremer practically created ISIS with that shit.

My hope though is that politicians (particularly in the U.K. Where I am) don't use this to push through more draconian legislation furnish civil liberties all in the name of "keeping us safe"

I'm guessing cameron will do just that. "We need to make encryption illegal!"

danthefan

Mono-causal explanations are always the best.

This is a political issue, not a religious one. ISIS is a political response that has its own coherence (as hard it is to admit it). An issue that grows and spread each time we attack it.

Until people will understand that we won't see nothing but the growth of these phenomenas, especially in Western countries (where is the political and media coverage) but also in the counties we don't care about.

If you're interested in these, try Google & translate Alain Bertho (+janvier 2015, attentats, charlie hebdo)

So... The single cause is politics then?

Rad Agast

Anyone who wants to blame western culture for this is absolutely fucked. Radical Islam sympathizers.

See, here is the thing. While we have governments and powers in the middle east who harbor and support radicalism, those same powers are being supported by western powers economically politically and militarily.

It's a fucked up situation for the regular every day civilian in all the nations involved.

Mepsi

Just woke up to this news, absolutely horrific that such a thing could even happen. My thoughts are with the people and families who have been affected by this.

Self reflection is an admirable thing, but it feels like sometimes people look only inward and fail to see the larger picture.Yes we shouldn't of invaded Iraq or any numbers things, that doesn't mean nonintervention is the correct answer either. Simply disengaging doesn't prevent these sorts of attacks when the enemy is not a rational actor. They are not out to change any specific policies and to imply they are goes beyond being simply naive.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
The problem is that everybody expects our politicians to react somehow. After such events, no politician can say to the public that such things can never be completely avoided and that we should not do what the terrorists want by responding hastily, getting into wars, or cutting civil liberties. Even if changing nothing in these respects might be the right thing to do.
I'm in no way agreeing with the man, but just pointing out (for conversation) how people might react to this basic sentiment - given admittedly the very different circumstances.

HarryKS

If you still can't see that this shit is systemic and that the religion or rather the liturgy encourages such barbarism, then you will never understand.

Truth of the matter is that this will keep happening because islam is fundamentally incompatible with modern western civilizaion based largely on Protestant culture. Those planned attacks see their genesis in mosques are in conversations after the afternoon prayers, amongst young people who share the same ethnicity and beliefs. This is further aided and abetted by clerics who say nothing, by family and friends who hear whispers but stay quiet, by facilitators who allow them to train and equip them whom they reach by contacting other friends who know them.

It's there for all to see. But herein lies the internal struggle, that of the modern renaissance man, unable to reconcile himself with the idea that some people, with different norms and values do not operate based on the same principles that they grew up with. Those same people who find in fundamental islam, which is basically the essence of the whole religion, a justification to unleash their sadistic fantasies. It's a very powerful motivator. I personally don't believe in the holy aspect of it. I think it's just some sort of rationalization which helps to intellectualize crude power relationships.

The type of modern, harmless religion that some practice and parrot out as being the true message sadly has no impact on this, because to fundamentalists, it serves no purpose and they don't think it's legitimate. The religion has never known true reform on a universal scale which is a huge problem.

Here's what's gonna happen tomorrow, after this senseless act. A bunch of community leaders are gonna come out to say that the French people will show solidarity and condemn those acts, there will be some sort of powerful mass gathering to show that they are not afraid and they will show up on tv and in the media to offer their condolences. Shit won't fly this time. Why? Because young people , children, men and women with no agenda died tonight. Innocents basically, in what is essentially the cultural capital of the world. They were slaughtered after a hard week's work, when they were the most vulnerable. It was an indiscriminate massacre with no purpose but to spread hate.
Those explanation about what leads to radicalization won't matter because nothing can allow this. No poverty, no hardship. You simply cannot condone this. It's been a trope, a platitude for far too long to explain delinquency in the 'quartiers'. Something changed today. It will never be the same again. It is a tragedy.

The problem is that if there was a good solution, we would have done it by now. Your solution is fantastical and a nonstarter. There's really nothing to debate.

I never said there was a good solution. In fact I was clear in stating that it would be very bad and as a result politically nonviable at this time. So I'm not sure why you keep point out basically exactly what I've been qualifying in those posts? I fully acknowledge that solutions are going to be extremely complex, expensive, time consuming, etc.

The debate is about maybe what would you consider if you had to throw something out there. You say I'm stubborn (which my posts don't support that), yet I've been asking questions and suggestions with really no response from you.

I missed this completely so far. RIP.

Come into the thread to see posts by the people who I assume are in the insane-leftist / truther camp blaming teh West™

Come into twitter to see retweets of this:

h6qhnXO.png

https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/665310961088245760

Idiots.

Steeven

This is a political issue, not a religious one. ISIS is a political response that has its own coherence (as hard it is to admit it). An issue that grows and spread each time we attack it.

Until people will understand that we won't see nothing but the growth of these phenomenas, especially in Western countries (where is the political and media coverage) but also in the counties we don't care about.

If you're interested in these, try Google & translate Alain Bertho (+janvier 2015, attentats, charlie hebdo)

So you are trading one mono-causal explanation for the next.

Currently we know to little to pinpoint the exact causal relation to this event, but radical Muslim theologists definitely are aligned to it.

woen

Hmmm, lemme see.

If I wanted to get a load of crazy dudes with guns into Europe at the moment, I wonder what would be the easiest way to do it?

Yeah you have an army of stormtroopers with guns coming in France. Both.

Seriously just look at the profile of the people who made attacks in Europe for the past 3 years. In France they were naturally born French citizens, raised in French schools that went to the same movies as you did and maybe played soccer with you. Yep that hurts, but that's what is beyond the xenophobic fantasy. So they don't need the refugees crisis to kill people in Europe. They have a few hundreds of people that could kill in each big country. Already ready. Also, note that the people that come by hundred of thousands are fleeing...TADA, the same attacks, terror that happens now in Europe. Plus the loss of entire families, homes, villages, their lives.But that doesn't fit in your story. A

I never said there was a good solution. In fact I was clear in stating that it would be very bad and as a result politically nonviable at this time. So I'm not sure why you keep point out basically exactly what I've been qualifying in those posts? I fully acknowledge that solutions are going to be extremely complex, expensive, time consuming, etc.

The debate is about maybe what would you consider if you had to throw something out there. You say I'm stubborn (which my posts don't support that), yet I've been asking questions and suggestions with really no response from you.

I've already made my suggestions clear throughout this thread. You just brushed them off as "status quo" and said they aren't working. I'm done banging my ahead against a wall though. This is just getting too abstract and ridiculous.

longdi

Banned
I feel we are going to see a bunch of loser self radicalized idiots committing acts of terrorism. It is no longer work lead by some cult head. I hope the Islam high powers vocally condemn and discourage such senseless act

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
About the Middle East, it's a no-win situation and there's no way out now... Hopefully several generations down the line (if we make it that far without nuclear armageddon) it'll be better...

^ terrorist organizations are bred from western involvement. Not excusing their actions at ALL. But people who are suggesting to bomb and be rid of the Middle East don't see that it is the cause of their motivation for these tragedies.

NO! Just no....

I'm from an Islamic country that was modern, open and civilized in the 60's and 70's until Americans ignited their fire. Now it's in shambles. My family saw huge losses, saw the rise of fundamentalism as a retaliation. I hope your country and family never endures the losses my family had gone through, but it would make you rethink your statement.
My father and uncle fled that same country and came to the UK. I don't blame US intervention for what's happening there right now though, I blame the Mullahs. I blame religion and fanatics. People have had long enough to see which way the wind was blowing and change. One day I'd love to visit my dads country, but not until the religious nut jobs relinquish control.

My father and uncle fled that same country and came to the UK. I don't blame US intervention for what's happening there right now though, I blame the Mullahs. I blame religion and fanatics. People have had long enough to see which way the wind was blowing and change. One day I'd love to visit my dads country, but not until the religious nut jobs relinquish control.

Don't see why it can't be both. It's not an exclusive situation.

Rad Agast

I'm not. I've lived in the Middle East temporarily and heard crap of justifying killing Americans and Europeans because of what they've done to Iraq and Afganistan.

That's just mindless justification. You're talking about the same people who are convinced that ISIS has strong ties and support from Iran and Israel.

If ISIL is responsible (pretty sure they are ) I'm quite worried on the response will be, really said something like this happened again.

Musician

Terrible, terrible news. Spent the whole night trying to get a hold of my fiances sister. Thankfully she was alright (and not even in Paris). I can't even fathom how it would feel to not be able to get that relief. To wonder for hours, maybe days... only to find out that a loved one was taken away. It's the closest I've ever been to such a loss. I never want to be anywhere near it again.

Also, people need to broaden their historical horizons a bit. From reading this thread you'd think that western/eastern (or christian/muslim) tensions started in 2001.

Wellscha

People need to understand Bin Laden came to be because he objected having American forces liberating Kuwait during Desert Storm in 1991.

Gulf War also set the stage for the current war in Afghanistan and America's broader battle against Islamic terrorism: The presence of "infidel" U.S. troops in Saudi Arabia during the 1990s helped radicalize Osama bin Laden and the other leaders of Al Qaeda, who vowed to target America at home and abroad.

"The Gulf War's aftermath planted the seeds for Al Qaeda, since bin Laden's main grievance grows out of the Gulf War," says Robert Jervis, a political science professor at Columbia University.
http://teacher.scholastic.com/scholasticnews/indepth/upfront/features/index.asp?article=f121310_gulfwar

Bin Laden didn't care about Saddam's atrocities or the fact he invaded another country. He got radicalized because of "America shouldn't be in the land of Islam'

So fuck off with the whole 'they were middling in the poor people's lives'

Irminsul

I'm from an Islamic country that was modern, open and civilized in the 60's and 70's until Americans ignited their fire. Now it's in shambles. My family saw huge losses, saw the rise of fundamentalism as a retaliation. I hope your country and family never endures the losses my family had gone through, but it would make you rethink your statement.
But not every country ever bombed to hell (and there are quite a few) later turned to be a haven of fundamentalism of some flavour. So there must be more to it than "the West".

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
I sent an email straight away this morning to someone I've done lots of work with over the last few years who lives near Versailles. He was in central Paris with his wife and his 10 and 5 year old children. Luckily they got home safely, but he seemed incredibly emotional in his response.

It just doesn't bear thinking about.

Kolx

Who is behind ISIS exactly? ISIS did almost no damage to Bashar in comparison to what it did to the rebels. ISIS interfered in Iraq after the huge protest in the Sunni part and then shut down the protesters and turned it from a protest against injustice into a war against ISIS. ISIS had many suicidal attacks against SA right after SA launched their campaign in Yemen to take out Alhothi who is Iran's ally. ISIS attacked France and Turkey who are also one of the strongest countries that stood against Bashar. However, ISIS never attacked Iran and only had one attack in Hezb Allah territory. Idk if this was just a mere coincidence but unless it a coincidence then ISIS looks like nothing but a group controlled by the intelligence of other countries to serve their purposes in the region.

I've already made my suggestions clear throughout this thread. You just brushed them off as "status quo" and said they aren't working. I'm done banging my ahead against a wall though. This is just getting too abstract and ridiculous.

Not sure what wall you're referring to. Probably not healthy at all. But yeah I vaguely remember you posting something about just maintaining what we're doing, no military action, and see how it plays out? I'm just having a hard time understanding how that actually solves anything or at least moves toward a solution. You never expanded on that at all of how that gets us to a path of non-extremism, terrorism, and violence.

The rest of the time you seemed to spend time crapping on fully qualified posts and restating stuff I kind of fully already acknowledged in mine.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous

Despite ISIS and every terrorist organization clearly saying that they are doing this for religion, in the name of religion, I find it hilarious that people still claim that it has 'nothing to do with religion'. 'Oh its just political', 'these are just mentally disturbed people with nothing to do with Islam'. Somehow I should take your word over the word of those who are doing it? They are clearly shouting from the rooftops that it's about religion, that they are inspired by religious ideology, they are trying to follow the ideology to the fullest, and here are people claiming 'oh they are not true Muslims, it has nothing to do with religion'. Give us a break, man! If we can't even accept it for what it is, forget about defeating it. they know it, that the rest of the world has already lost the battle cause they can't even come to call the enemy for what it is, let alone fight it.
Tell me, if indeed ISIS is just a 'mentally disturbed non-stable individuals' and what not, how come they are only Muslims? where are the 'disturbed' youths from Christians or Hindus?

woen

So you are trading one mono-causal explanation for the next.

Currently we know to little to pinpoint the exact causal relation to this event, but radical Muslim theologists definitely are aligned to it.

No you confuse the nature of the phenomena and its causes.

Allow me to re-formulate : focusing on the theology (whether you call it "islamic" "islamist" radical muslim" or more precisely wahhabist) is not how you will understand the roots. You don't analyze what's happening, you only listen to the other side in order to find answers at what you can't explain. I know changing perspectives, taking a step back, thinking that things may be complicated is something that needs a strong will — but it needs to be done.

People will always find reasons to do this bullshit with or without religion: power, envy, "revenge"... Religion is an excuse, not the cause.
true i guess. I'll try not to get too emotional. It also hs a lot to do with dumbass decisions of western countries.
We get lied to on a daily basis.

Who is behind ISIS exactly? ISIS did almost no damage to Bashar in comparison to what it did to the rebels. ISIS interfered in Iraq after the huge protest in the Sunni part and then shut down the protesters and turned it from a protest against injustice into a war against ISIS. ISIS had many suicidal attacks against SA right after SA launched their campaign in Yemen to take out Alhothi who is Iran's ally. ISIS attacked France and Turkey who are also one of the strongest countries that stood against Bashar. However, ISIS never attacked Iran and only had one attack in Hezb Allah territory. Idk if this was just a mere coincidence but unless it a coincidence then ISIS looks like nothing but a group controlled by the intelligence of other countries to serve their purposes in the region.

ex-Saddam officials, sunni terrorists, and many people from the world. There's no conspiracy and ISIL is only really concentrated in Iraq and Syria.

Then why is it always so easy to guess the ideological identity of the terrorists even before it was reported?

It's not the cause, but to deny that it is a cause—an important one—is not helpful at all.

It isn't always.

Idiot so called terror "experts" proclaimed before there were nearly enough facts to draw any kind of conclusions that the Utøya terrorist maasacre of 2011 was perpetrated by islamists. But that was not the case as we all know now.

dabig2

Thanks to our esteemed leaders and their forward thinking, we deba'thisized the Iraqi structure Lot of the top guys moved onto ISIS.

Pusherman

In the face of terrible terrorist attacks such as the ones in Paris we shouldn't lose sight of just how privileged we are most of the time. In fact, our privilege is why these attacks seem extra horrific. We are, or at least most of us here on NeoGaf, privileged to live in the most stable and richest parts of the world. Regardless of gender, race or sexual orientation, everybody in the West enjoys this privilege. It is, by far, the most important divider in the world today. The differences between black and white, straight and gay or men and women pale in comparison to the differences between those born in the West and those born outside of it, especially those born in the most unstable and violent places on this planet.
Why do I keep harping on our privilege? Because I see people so quick to blame Islam or the middle-east, without ever really reflecting on the structural factors that have shaped the world of today. The fact is that we currently live in a world that sees certain people endure horrors similar to the recent ones in Paris on an almost daily basis. Almost 50 people died in a suicide bombing in Beirut this week. And before that there were the bombings at a Kurdish rally in Turkey. For a lot of people in the Middle-East this kind of violence did not start with IS. They have suffered for years, decades even. In the case of the Palestinians, we're talking about more than 70 years of war and suffering. And the truth is that we as the West have had a huge hand in creating and maintaining our current world. Through our policies we have often actively contributed to the suffering of others and to the spreading of chaos.
This doesn't mean that the West 'deserves' these kinds of attacks of course. It just means that if we want to put an end to this kind of violence we should try to take a long hard look at ourselves and our past decisions, and the kinds of violence we have tolerated in the past. Anyone that thinks the current state of the Middle-East is caused by Islam is deluded, and the same goes for those who think that it is Islam that is causing these people to lash out against us in their frustration and anger.

patapuf

Allow me to re-formulate : focusing on the theology (whether you call it "islamic" "islamist" radical muslim" or more precisely wahhabist) is not how you will understand the roots. You don't analyze what's happening, you only listen to the other side in order to find answers at what you can't explain. I know changing perspectives, taking a step back, thinking that things may be complicated is something that needs a strong will — but it needs to be done.

I agree, but often people blame western intervention and completely ignore the history of the region : as if the poeple living there don't have their own stuff going on that is radicalising them.

It's about politics, but looking to the west to explain, while ignoring what is going on in the middle east and other places... doesn't work out well.

danthefan

The repercussions of this attack are absolutely terrifying. You can bet the house that this isn't the last attack we'll see on a European capital. There's going to be a shift in the way we live our lives over the coming years/decades.

woen

Despite ISIS and every terrorist organization clearly saying that they are doing this for religion, in the name of religion, I find it hilarious that people still claim that it has 'nothing to do with religion'. 'Oh its just political', 'these are just mentally disturbed people with nothing to do with Islam'. Somehow I should take your word over the word of those who are doing it? They are clearly shouting from the rooftops that it's about religion, that they are inspired by religious ideology, they are trying to follow the ideology to the fullest, and here are people claiming 'oh they are not true Muslims, it has nothing to do with religion'. Give us a break, man! If we can't even accept it for what it is, forget about defeating it. they know it, that the rest of the world has already lost the battle cause they can't even come to call the enemy for what it is, let alone fight it.
Tell me, if indeed ISIS is just a 'mentally disturbed non-stable individuals' and what not, how come they are only Muslims? where are the 'disturbed' youths from Christians or Hindus?

Yep that exactly what I wrote about your message. Thank you for proving my point.

Also please don't put words in my mouth. I never said "this has nothing to do with religion", "it is just political" and even less "there are just mentally disturbed people". You are dishonest. So yeah, that's you who should give me a break, thank you in advance.

Social sciences can help us understand the world and its complexity. If you stay on the ground, stating clichés I can hear in the bar next door, you are helping them and they thank you everyday for that.

ntropy

lmao, YOU DON'T ANALYZE WHAT'S HAPPENING

Steeven

You don't have to be so patronizing, especially not when you claim the exact opposite but lack the self-reflection to admit it. The influence of Muslim leaders in terrorism with really extremist views is proven in several scientific studies. Not only that, it happens in every form of terrorism concerning religion, thus it is not a factor that exclusively stands out in Islam. I never said it was the only cause, that's your spin on it, but it definitely plays a role here, and has played a role in many other attacks as well. I would suspect the French intelligence services to be looking into that.

Not sure what wall you're referring to. Probably not healthy at all. But yeah I vaguely remember you posting something about just maintaining what we're doing, no military action, and see how it plays out? I'm just having a hard time understanding how that actually solves anything or at least moves toward a solution. You never expanded on that at all of how that gets us to a path of non-extremism, terrorism, and violence.

The rest of the time you seemed to spend time crapping on fully qualified posts and restating stuff I kind of fully already acknowledged in mine.

All the stuff you criticize me for are just as true for you. Your "solution" is just as likely to fail as it is to succeed but it'll take decades and cost trillions in meantime. You're whole shtick seems to be revolving around proposing an idea you willfully admit is never going to happen, but because it sounds so amazing in your hypothetical visions, no one can criticize it until they propose an equally unrealistic plan.

I'm done wasting my time and energy. I wish you good luck.

Xisiqomelir

This doesn't mean that the West 'deserves' these kinds of attacks of course. It just means that if we want to put an end to this kind of violence we should try to take a long hard look at ourselves and our past decisions, and the kinds of violence we have tolerated in the past.

I feel instead sparing no effort investigating the crimes, apprehending the perpetrators swiftly, and prosecuting them to the fullest extent of the law would be a better way to put an end to this kind of violence.

Lutherian

Yeah you have an army of stormtroopers with guns coming in France. Both.

Seriously just look at the profile of the people who made attacks in Europe for the past 3 years. In France they were naturally born French citizens, raised in French schools that went to the same movies as you did and maybe played soccer with you. Yep that hurts, but that's what is beyond the xenophobic fantasy. So they don't need the refugees crisis to kill people in Europe. They have a few hundreds of people that could kill in each big country. Already ready. Also, note that the people that come by hundred of thousands are fleeing...TADA, the same attacks, terror that happens now in Europe. Plus the loss of entire families, homes, villages, their lives.But that doesn't fit in your story. A

So much THIS (and your spoiler part).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom