• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paris Terrorist Attacks, 120+ dead. Do not post hearsay/unsourced/old news.

Status
Not open for further replies.

azyless

I'm convinced the game was the actual main target yesterday. 80.000 people inside watching the game, would have been horrendous if the suicide bombers made it in.

The German team actually had to evactuate their hotel earlier because of a bomb thread. But that and the French president being present at the game might have led to the security that prevented them from entering the stadium.

It's weird that they didn't just wait for the game to be over and blow the thing up in the packed subway.
They probably wanted it to be on tv, but I can't believe they thought there was a chance in hell to get in the Stade de France during an international match with a suicide vest on.

Kabouter

Terrorist intentions or not - how they hell did they get AK-47s into France? And where did their bomb packs come from?

Continental Europe has been flooded by Balkan war military hardware for years now, organized crime uses AKs, grenades and other heavy hardware with increasing frequency. It should not be hard to procure that stuff for determined attackers.

Welp, there go the refugees.

What a logistical nightmare.

There can easily exist 4-5 people among the 10000 refugees that are active Islamic State extremists, but how do you weed through that many people? It will take months - likely even longer now due to this occurrence.

But at least people do realize at the same time that's it would be inhumane to turn away the 10k because of an imaginary 5 people.

That's true. But if you are asked to show it to police and you cannot, you are fined. So while you are not required to have it with you by law, you essentially always have to carry it around as police may ask for it.

On what ground would police fine you? It's perfectly legal to not carry your ID with you.

The NATO "Crusade" (I guess Turks are also heathens according to ISIS) needs to happen. Iraq and Syria should be under forceful Western rule. We should force them into Western culture, roads, buildings, mindset like they force Sharia on the population.

Shiggy

It shouldn't be forgotten that it is really easy to get a fake Syrian passport. This Dutch journalist bought a passport with the picture of the Dutch prime minister on it for $825.

CPAl6F7UsAAeNia.jpg

https://twitter.com/stefandevries/status/644100977906335744

So although it is a possbility it is a real Syrian passport, it could also just as easily be fake.

The Greece government said that guy came from Turkey and was first registered as a refugee in Greece. It doesn't matter if it was real or fake when it's so easy for them to enter the EU because of the lack of proper checks. Right now everyone who wants can come here.

Kabouter

The Greece government said that guy came from Turkey and was first registered as a refugee in Greece. It doesn't matter if it was real or fake when it's so easy for them to enter the EU because of the lack of proper checks. Right now everyone who wants can come here.

Bingo.

On what ground would police fine you? It's perfectly legal to not carry your ID with you.

Is it still legal to do that in Germany? Hasn't been here for a long while now.

The NATO "Crusade" (I guess Turks are also heathens according to ISIS) needs to happen. Iraq and Syria should be under forceful Western rule. We should force them into Western culture, roads, buildings, mindset like they force Sharia on the population.

If Turkey wants to do that, go nuts. They can have Syria back if they want it. Erdogan already seems to fancy himself a Sultan anyway given his palace.

They came "via Turkey".

"From Turkey" they certainly were not.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
It's weird that they didn't just wait for the game to be over and blow the thing up in the packed subway.
They probably wanted it to be on tv, but I can't believe they thought there was a chance in hell to get in the Stade de France during an international match with a suicide vest on.

These people dont care. It was probs an any means necessary not really thought bout how to get it. It was probs just get in or near to n do as much as u can.

They clearly have no remorse the impact of if they got in would have been n eurrption seeing that on live tv

rinse82

Wow , so they found the vest on one of the bombers as they tried to enter the match with a ticket?

I can't even imagine the horror if he somehow got passed the security check

Tuffty

Whoever the killer was might not have necessarily been the passport holder. Wait for facts first before condemning an entire group of people looking to escape from the same people that's causing these atrocities.

What a logistical nightmare.

There can easily exist 4-5 people among the 10000 refugees that are active Islamic State extremists, but how do you weed through that many people? It will take months - likely even longer now due to this occurrence.

But at least people do realize at the same time that's it would be inhumane to turn away the 10k because of an imaginary 5 people.

The issue we have now though is that this 'imaginary 5 people' is now a very real '127+ dead', in the eyes of the French population. If these terror attacks continue then it will become an act of self preservation to turn away refugees, inhumane or not.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Whoever the killer was might not have necessarily been the passport holder. Wait for facts first before condemning an entire group of people looking to escape from the same people that's causing these atrocities.

Saying the attacker is from Syria doesn't condemn an entire group.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Terrorist intentions or not - how they hell did they get AK-47s into France? And where did their bomb packs come from?

I doubt they fled to Greece weidling aa high-powered, assault rifle. Surely refurgees are being searched and filtered for this stuff before being relocated???

They had to rendezvous somewhere in Europe with someone who supplied the weapons.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats/2015/11/14/germany-arrested-man-linked-to-paris.html
German police last week arrested a man they now believe to be tied to the terrorist attack on Paris. The 51-year-old man from Montenegro had explosives and assault weapons in his car when he was stopped in Bavaria, police say. The man was reportedly en route to Paris. There are “reasonable grounds to believe” he might have belonged to the crew of alleged ISIS attackers, according to Bavaria’s minister.

German media is talking about 8 AK47's, TNT and other equipment to create explosives.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks

yeah that wont inspire large-scale rebellion at all. why would anyone think a revival of imperialism can solve this?

Shiggy

Oh I see, it's only true for the driver's license. They cannot fine you for not carrying around your ID.

But even for the ID, do you want to be brought to the police station because you cannot show your ID?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

Good luck with that.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
They're playing the French national anthem alongside the American and Canadian national anthems today before the NHL match here in Ottawa.

Classy gesture :)

MrBigBoy

Multiple people that would have a relation of some kind with the attack have been arrested in the Belgian town Molenbeek in Brussels.

Belgian Justice Minister Koen Geens said "a number of'' arrests have been made in Brussels relating to the Paris attacks.
Belgian TV says five people were detained in the suburb of Molenbeek.
The arrests come after a car with Belgian registration plates was seen close to one of the attacks - the Bataclan concert hall.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-34820016

Police also found a parking ticket in the Belgian car that led them to Molenbeek.

Nobody in this thread is 'condemning an entire group of people', so stop with your accusations.

I doubt they fled to Greece weidling aa high-powered, assault rifle. Surely refurgees are being searched and filtered for this stuff before being relocated???

They had to rendezvous somewhere in Europe with someone who supplied the weapons.

I'm guessing weapons were smuggled in, apparently France had open borders before?

yeah that wont inspire large-scale rebellion at all. why would anyone think a revival of imperialism can solve this?
Because if we properly 100% control those countries,and do all the building work and infrastructure and state stuff schooling etc. then the country will be nice and shiny and the people will start to realise "WOAH! These infidel fucks ain't that bad!"

Jonm1010

Banned
Because if we properly 100% control those countries,and do all the building work and infrastructure and state stuff schooling etc. then the country will be nice and shiny and the people will start to realise "WOAH! These infidel fucks ain't that bad!"
I thought legitimate neoconservatism philosophical growth amongst the population died during Bush's term. When we saw first hand that forcing western values at gun point in Iraq doesn't lead to sunshine and roses. Guess not.

Shiggy

Paris Attacks: Suicide Bomber Wearing an Explosive Vest Was Blocked From Entering Soccer Stadium
At least one suicide bomber had a ticket to the France-Germany soccer game, but his explosive vest was found during a security check at the gate

While attempting to back away from security, Zouheir said, the attacker detonated the vest. Zouheir, who was stationed by the players’ tunnel, said he was briefed on the sequence by the security frisking team at the gate.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/attacker-tried-to-enter-paris-stadium-but-was-turned-away-1447520571

Edit: apparently posted already

If what this article says is accurate, that a crucial component to ISIS' ability to recruit and radicalize is the fact that it holds territory its claimed de facto sovereignty over, then the civilized global community may need to consider an invasion and occupation of the area ISIS entrenched themselves in.
(However I realize the only way to do that without sparking a fucking wave of jihadis flooding in to fight "crusaders" is Arab regimes giving a massive amount of political and material support).

Let them say it because those who needed to join Isis since 2003 would have already and an invasion is the only way you destroy their entire structure

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
I i have no words
During the Friday night massacre at the Bataclan concert hall, the terrorists reportedly deliberately targeted handicapped concert-goers. According to a witness interviewed by the Telegraph, the gunmen went to the disabled seating section to shoot at disabled people.

Oh I see, it's only true for the driver's license. They cannot fine you for not carrying around your ID.

But even for the ID, do you want to be brought to the police station because you cannot show your ID?

Of course not. I was simply responding to someone claiming that you need to have your ID with you all the time in Germany. That's simply not true ;)

Weckum

Although you're not wrong regarding the lack of checks, I disagree that it doesn't matter if the passport was fake or real.

I thought legitimate neoconservatism philosophical growth amongst the population died during Bush's term. When we saw first hand that forcing western values at gun point in Iraq doesn't lead to sunshine and roses. Guess not.

Something has to give, though. Because whatever is being done now isn't working.

Who is condemning an entire group of people?

Shiggy

Although you're not wrong regarding the lack of checks, I disagree that it doesn't matter if the passport was fake or real.

Why does it matter then? Nobody is saying that all those Syrians are terrorists. People were only arguing that at this point it's well possible to enter the EU, while pretending to be a Syrian war refugee. Therefore I do not see the point of whether it's a legit passport or just a fake. We need to have better checks on who is entering, and we also need to be more restrictive in the end.

This doesn't override legitimate refugees does it ?

No but it shows we have gigantic security risk on our hands and zero actual control on who comes into Europe as refugee.

All You need is pay to smugglers (zero problem with ISIS having millions of dollars) and claim you lost your documents.

And since it's ISIS they won't care about how many people get arrested/die when attempting it as long as some get to the target.

This was always, in theory a legit concern, but I felt would not and should not override the more pressing humanitarian need. Hopefully that sentiment stays, but damned if this won't help...

The problem here isn't if the attackers were or were not Syrian refugees but if society is willing to start a heavy postponed dialogue about the nature of the open borders to immigrants and refugees without shouting of Islamophobia or racism. Because regardless if the passport is false or not, there has to be a discussion of what societies at large should do with this issue.

Some folks will want to close all borders, others will want to keep the open arms and don't search anyone or see if they are potential terrorist and let them enter their countries without problems. The reality should be somewhere in the middle. Since you can't identify an extremist by asking "are you an extremist Sunni Muslims?" Perhaps a psychological test when entering to see if they are potential threads, establish a travel history, see their connections with potential or known extremist. Of course this doesn't address the issue of potential of extremist (or with extremist tendencies) in the 1st/2nd/3rd generation immigrant of Muslim.

Are people willing to have that chat or the current state of discussion will continue where someone tries to raise the possibility of terrorist taking advantage of the refugees to infiltrate to do their business.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom