• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paris Terrorist Attacks, 120+ dead. Do not post hearsay/unsourced/old news.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought legitimate neoconservatism philosophical growth amongst the population died during Bush's term. When we saw first hand that forcing western values at gun point in Iraq doesn't lead to sunshine and roses. Guess not.
Did they make an honest effort? Iraq and Adghanistan seemed like 95% Military and very little building works and business start ups or w/e else a country needs to kick start itself away from doom and gloom.

No but it shows we have gigantic security risk on our hands and zero actual control on who comes into Europe as refugee.

All You need is pay to smugglers (zero problem with ISIS having millions of dollars) and claim you lost your documents.

And since it's ISIS they won't care about how many people get arrested/die when attempting it as long as some get to the target.

Yes security check is a legitimate issue which could result in this if this is confirmed while real refugees is a legitimate humanitarian issues where if one doesnt let real refugees in there is a chance that the civilian deaths in the war will be in the thousands per year

Jonm1010

Banned
Something has to give, though. Because whatever is being done now isn't working.
Occupying a large swath of the Middle east rooted in the belief you can force western values at gunpoint and do so both successfully and without severe blowback from the natives is the height of naivety.

Logistically and strategically it is impossible. That's before even mentioning the problems we know arise when you try and govern a country under constant defacto martial law using a force that is primarily trained to kill and is largely ignorant of the culture and people they are occupying.

azyless

Numbers according to François Molins (the prosecutor of the Republic, not sure how to translate his title sorry) :
7 dead terrorists
129 victims
352 injured, 99 in a critical state

Also confirmation that one of the terrorists in Bataclan was french.

Well there it is. People were called out for even suggesting the possibility they might have been a terrorist mixed in with innocent refuges.

People like that can be very myopic and suppressive when introduced to an idea that makes them uncomfortable.

It doesn't take much imagination to see the danger in allowing tens of thousands of migrants from a war-torn region to move in mass with little or no controls or tracking. Unfortunately, there are still people here who think that burying their heads in the sand and pretending that it isn't a problem will score them imaginary points among their peers.

The duty and responsibily of government should first and foremost revolve around providing safety and stability to one's own citizens. When that core responsibility is at stake, all other considerations should take a back seat.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Glad they caught him alive. I hope they dissect this guy from top to bottom to find out his supply line and supporters. These are the ones that need to be taken down.
He sounds like a weapons dealer type of guy. Pretty much the one you call if you don't have the means to weapons, but the money to pay. Pure speculation, of course.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Because if we properly 100% control those countries,and do all the building work and infrastructure and state stuff schooling etc. then the country will be nice and shiny and the people will start to realise "WOAH! These infidel fucks ain't that bad!"
It's 2003 all over again.

Someone on another forum suggested this:

International Coalition of 500,000 troops (minimum)from the US, NATO, and Russia (invite China and India too). Appoint David Petraeus to a 5th star and name him Supreme Coalition Commander and Military Governor of Northern Iraq and Northern Syria for a ten year term. Seize Saudi assets in Europe to pay for it and require the oil industry to redirect 50% of Saudi oil royalties to an International Reconstruct Fund. Saudis can either live with it or be removed from power and the International Management Zone be extended. Kurds get Kurdistan on two conditions: don't fuck with Turkey, and protect all minority groups who get to their territory. In exchange Kurdistan gets Israel level of protection. Iraqi Government is dissolved and Southern Iraq becomes a Protectorate of Iran. Inside the International Zone the west mobilizes the largest humanitarian effort in history.

I'm not sure I agree with all the details, but the idea is interesting. Would treating the region like post-war Germany/Japan possibly produce a favourable outcome? It couldn't happen without China though, I think (politically). It would basically be a "the world has had enough, everyone is now going to fix your problems for you" situation. You'd need the US, EU, and China on board. Russia too if they want, but they could be left out if they are whiny enough. Not sure how you'd get China on board with fixing the region though unless you also allow them big investment opportunities like they are doing in Africa.

People like that can be very myopic and suppressive when introduced to an idea that makes them uncomfortable.

It doesn't take much imagination to see the danger in allowing tens of thousands of migrants from a war-torn region to move in mass with little or no controls or tracking. Unfortunately, there are still people here who think that burying their heads in the sand and pretending that it isn't a problem will score them imaginary points among their peers.

The duty and responsibily of government should first and foremost revolve around providing safety and stability to one's own citizens. When that core responsibility is at stake, all other considerations should take a back seat.

Well said.

I'm not sure I agree with all the details, but the idea is interesting. Would treating the region like post-war Germany/Japan possibly produce a favourable outcome? It couldn't happen without China though, I think (politically). It would basically be a "the world has had enough, everyone is now going to fix your problems for you" situation. You'd need the US, EU, and China on board. Russia too if they want, but they could be left out if they are whiny enough. Not sure how you'd get China on board with fixing the region though unless you also allow them big investment opportunities like they are doing in Africa.

Kurds will only get Rojava and Northern Iraq.

I don't think Iran controlling Sunni Arabs would work.

But in general I like this idea.

justjohn

The NATO "Crusade" (I guess Turks are also heathens according to ISIS) needs to happen. Iraq and Syria should be under forceful Western rule. We should force them into Western culture, roads, buildings, mindset like they force Sharia on the population.
I hope this is sarcasm. I've always had you down as one of the more intelligent posters on this board but I really don't even know anymore. Wat

Jonm1010

Banned
Did they make an honest effort? Iraq and Adghanistan seemed like 95% Military and very little building works and business start ups or w/e else a country needs to kick start itself away from doom and gloom.

Actually yes, they did. You should read some books like Imperial Life in the Emerald City that speaks about how the rebuilding effort tried to modernize Iraq and build back up their infrastructure and economy. It largely looks specifically at how America approached rebuilding their various ministries and the overarching strategy and why it failed.

But like always happens in imperialism things aren't sunshine and roses. Corruption, human nature, improper strategy, ego, the setback from the initial war, anti-occupation, lack of human resources, ignorance of culture and numerous other forces make it impossible to reach any semblance of an ideal.

LeBart

My girlfriend's brother lost two friends at the attack on rue de Charonne. She also was a regular at La Belle Équipe before I met her and knew some of the staff there.

This is incredily hard.

Actually yes, they did. You should read some books like Imperial Life in the Emerald City that speaks about how the rebuilding effort tried to modernize Iraq and build back up their infrastructure and economy. It largely looks specifically at how America approached rebuilding their various ministries and the overarching strategy and why it failed.

But like always happens in imperialism things aren't sunshine and roses. Corruption, human nature, improper strategy, ego, the setback from the initial war, anti-occupation, lack of human resources, ignorance of culture and numerous other forces make it impossible to reach any semblance of an ideal.

Thanks for the suggested reading. I legitimately didn't know.

Occupying a large swath of the Middle east rooted in the belief you can force western values at gunpoint and do so both successfully and without severe blowback from the natives is the height of naivety.

Logistically and strategically it is impossible. That's before even mentioning the problems we know arise when you try and govern a country under constant defacto martial law using a force that is primarily trained to kill and is largely ignorant of the culture and people they are occupying.

At this point, anything has to be on the table. If it's looking at an addressing historical issues that have led to that sentiment, military action, doing something with Saudi Arabia, etc.. then so be it. All I'm saying is that what is being done now isn't working and something else is likely going to have to be attempted. I don't know what that is. I don't think anyone does.

I got into a long discussion about this last light so I'm not going to retread much, but I'm not sure a large-scale, sustained, total conflict (coupled with competent rebuilding of the region) should be off the table.

Edit: And yeah I saw your other post. Iraq and Afghanistan certainly were not sunshine and roses. Many mistakes were made, corruption, etc. So yeah a long shot and unlikely at this time but, ideally there are checks to help prevent mistakes made in those countries by involving multiple countries in the process and finding competent local leaders that can establish legitimacy in government and control.

I hope this is sarcasm. I've always had you down as one of the more intelligent posters on this board but I really don't even know anymore. Wat
I've had enough of these god damned terror attacks. That's the long and short of it. I've never felt as sad over a terror attack as I do for this one. Even the recent bombings in Turkey didn't leave me this upset and reactionary.

LeonSPBR

Numbers according to François Molins (the prosecutor of the Republic, not sure how to translate his title sorry) :
7 dead terrorists
129 victims
352 injured, 99 in a critical state

Also confirmation that one of the terrorists in Bataclan was french.

Damn... Rest In Peace to the victims, and hopefully won't have anymore death.

Indicate

The NATO "Crusade" (I guess Turks are also heathens according to ISIS) needs to happen. Iraq and Syria should be under forceful Western rule. We should force them into Western culture, roads, buildings, mindset like they force Sharia on the population.

Please stop spewing garbage.

The idea the guy posted is unrealistic and pretty dumb. Something like some idealistic WW2 scenario. Going after Saudi Arabia who is an ally to the US and in part some European countries is dumb as all hell as it would cause another enemy to deal with and hurt military and political interest between the US and SA. SA has deep pockets and has many connections; trying to go after them without any good reason ( because there evil or something like that is not a good reason ) is just opening a can of worms. Heck, the US prevented SA/ Gulf Nations from doing dangerous things ( like spending MANPADS to the rebels) because they are allies.

China is not an active military country and have shown no signs getting involved you're right about that. NATO countries aren't willing to work with Russia and they don't trust Russia. Lastly, having foreign people split a country like whatever you want is unfair and dangerous. You are going to start conflicts that way.

Orayn

I've had enough of these god damned terror attacks. That's the long and short of it. I've never felt as sad over a terror attack as I do for this one. Even the recent bombings in Turkey didn't leave me this upset and reactionary.

And you think trying to forcibly convert people to a new culture (and religion, I assume) would make things better and not worse. Okay.

Jonm1010

Banned
Thanks for the suggested reading. I legitimately didn't know.
It's not to say Iraq couldn't of had a better outcome had those in charge of the occupation not been so philosophically wrong and ignorant of local forces. It probably could have. Certain measures all but guaranteed failure from the moment they were put into place.

Had they not been committed we probably could of had a much smoother occupation and transition of power. But what You are calling for: complete takeover of a territory and to model it in the ideal of western society is a task of monumental proportions. Which would require far more resources - both human and non-human - then Iraq and Afghanistan. With no clear way I can see how it wouldn't turn into a clusterfuck.

The only proper solution is to gather enough intel to know exactly where each major group or subdivision of the Islamic state is, go after a group, and repeat.

The better solution is to do this, but to also have all local governments that appear to be housing this group to co-operate so this is all done within the same 24-48 hours.

I think this is a good solution without having to create another quagmire in Syria or what not, because ISIS is also a group that is small. This was a tally from last year:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/isis-b...ch-the-militant-organization-may-be-1.2746332

Any army of 20k (let's say) in 2015. But has no nation. They are split up on top of that, and even if they are armed to the teeth, taking them out in a co-ordinated fashion should be possible.

It means also that you'd have to co-operate with one "evil" government to eliminate another. Because we all know what happens if you try to force your own government onto others...

No tolerance. Instant death penalty - immediately shoot them in the head? Obviously that's very extreme. I don't know either.

Yeah I don't know how they trigger the devices - is it by hand or something? Either way, the moment you realize they have it on them (and it's mostly likely a law enforcement guy), they'll probably pull it within 2-3 seconds. You would have to be an expert shot to pull it off...

Dogs or a type of animal with a sensitive smell might be the best answer. I'm sure strapped explosives have a particular smell that you can't get away from.

SkylineRKR

Molenbeek has a lot of shit. It has areas the police hardly even comes anymore. Its a breeding area for terrorists and they know it. Such places are a huge issue for Belgium and Europe in general.

It's not to say Iraq couldn't of had a better outcome had those in charge of the occupation not been so philosophically wrong and ignorant of local forces. It probably could have. Certain measures all but guaranteed failure from the moment they were put into place.

Had they not been committed we probably could of had a much smoother occupation and transition of power. But what that poster is calling for: complete takeover of a territory and to model it in the ideal of western society is a task of monumental proportions. Which would require far more resources - both human and non-human - then Iraq and Afghanistan. With no clear way I can see how it wouldn't turn into a clusterfuck.

That's start up imperialism.

And you think trying to forcibly convert people to a new culture (and religion, I assume) would make things better and not worse. Okay.
Nope. I'm saying go to those countries and make them like Turkey (ideally without a brown equivalent of Erdoğan). I want every Muslim country to be as economically and socially "Westernised" (brackets emphasised) as Turkey. I don't see any other way to do it except by hitting the Islamist Militants hard. That's how we solved the Nazis isn't it?

As bad as the Iraq invasion turned out, it wasnt inherently doomed to fail:if the Americans had secured the borders and been more moderate in their application of "deBaathification" (which alienated the Sunni minority) they may have prevented the carnage that broke out.

And occupying the ISIS "caliphate" wouldnt be about "forcing western values" on the population, it would be about putting an end to a regime that promotes sexual slavery, commits mass executions, threatens ethnic minorities with genocide and exports a fanatic terrorist ideology to rest of the world.

Azzanadra

This incident has me attempting to re-consider this ISIS issue as a whole. Some have said it is the most dangerous warfare of our time... would you guys consider ISIS harder to defeat then, say, the Nazis or Japanese? Of course the aforementioned forces resulted in a full on war, but combating ISIS requires something different then simple explosions and overwhelming through numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom