• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paris Terrorist Attacks, 120+ dead. Do not post hearsay/unsourced/old news.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cappa

Banned
I travel to Berlin Brussels and Amsterdam in the next week's. .. Security is going to be crazy. As a former American resident (who lived through Sept 11th in Northern nj) I more nervous now than I was back then. Maybe it has to do with age and it's stupid to be nervous about my trip but shit I can't help it.

KooopaKid

Banned
I travel to Berlin Brussels and Amsterdam in the next week's. .. Security is going to be crazy. As a former American resident (who lived through Sept 11th in Northern nj) I more nervous now than I was back then. Maybe it has to do with age and it's stupid to be nervous about my trip but shit I can't help it.

Understandable but statistically there's a very low chance of anything happening to you.
Plus Netherland and Belgium are not officially at war with ISIS or at least it's not as well documented as France.

Joni

Understandable but statistically there's a very low chance of anything happening to you.
Plus Netherland and Belgium are not officially at war with ISIS or at least it's not as well documented as France.
One of the first Isis attacks in Europe was the attack on the jewish museum in Brussels. And most of the french attacks are sonewhat linked to the city. On the other hand, we still have the army in place in the streets.

TheYanger

Actually I think separating them from religion is one of the better things that you can do.

At this point I don't know if they are purposefully twisting Islam, or whether they've actually managed to convince themselves they're good Muslims, but for the world, including the Muslim community, to say that you do not represent them, that your representation of the Quran is disgusting, and that their actions are tantamount to heresy, belittles them and their credibility.

We need to physically fight them, and eliminate them, but we also need to win psychologically by mocking them and have them realise that the entire world thinks they're full of complete bullshit.

I agree with what you're saying, but it has literally nothing to do with what I was saying. The notion that we should ignore their motivations when we're trying to identify these people or pretend that knowledge doesn't exist in our efforts to counter them just because it might seem sort of bigoted doesn't do us any favors. It's not islamophobic to acknowledge that by definition a member of this group IS of an islamic faith, it's common sense. It's islamophobic to assume that anyone that practices Islam is a terrorist, which was what I was responding to in the first place. Yes, someone that is Christian or Atheist or whatever COULD be a threat, but in our reality that is not the case right now so it does no good to pretend for the sake of parity that they are.

Cappa

Banned

yeah the reasonable part of me tries to tell me this, the other paranoid part of me doesn't. Even if it were Paris I were travelling to I shouldnt be nervous

These a some bite sized videos that should give you a basic understanding of ISIS and their role in Syria.

A brief history of ISIS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJ034SvB16E

War in Syria
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKb9GVU8bHE

sounds like quite the mess, with 3 to 4 players and who knows what.... sounds like this is something that can't be fixed until atleast one of them goes down for sure first. If it was a two sided thing I feel it would be easier to figure it out but this is impossible at this rate...

It seems sad to know and to see that there will be more attacks from these groups around the world... what will it take to really push them out?

What will we wait for? what will happen if they use bigger bombs or chemical weapons on one of our bigger cities in the world, what will it take for the west to take more affirmative action?

The thing that has happened in France, I don't feel any of us want to consider this will happen again but it is obviously a high possibility.

I agree we shouldn't live in fear, but it sucks to live in a place knowing it could happen.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I agree with what you're saying, but it has literally nothing to do with what I was saying. The notion that we should ignore their motivations when we're trying to identify these people or pretend that knowledge doesn't exist in our efforts to counter them just because it might seem sort of bigoted doesn't do us any favors. It's not islamophobic to acknowledge that by definition a member of this group IS of an islamic faith, it's common sense. It's islamophobic to assume that anyone that practices Islam is a terrorist, which was what I was responding to in the first place. Yes, someone that is Christian or Atheist or whatever COULD be a threat, but in our reality that is not the case right now so it does no good to pretend for the sake of parity that they are.
That sounds right. The truth is a balancing act between these two nuanced facts:

1. Yes ISIS can be seen as a logical interpretation of the founding message of Islam. If you cherish that story, you can read it as a god-sanctioned mandate to struggle against the infidels.

2. No not all Muslims interpret Islam like that (relatively few do), and holding those ideas does not inevitably lead to the promotion of military jihad. Islam can be just as well be interpreted as a peaceful faith that can peacefully co-exist with western values. We should allow Muslims to hold the most peaceful interpretation of their religion, and live and work alongside us if that is their goal.

FeD.nL

Our PM Rutte said we are at war with ISIS on national television.

source

Translation of the important quote:

ISIS is our enemy with which we are at war. We are not at war with a religion or the Islam.

Starfield

Just saw this. The tickets of the two bombers that went through Leros. You can see their names. Their passports (don't know if real or fake) where also checked at Croatia and Austria.

dTfeuNE.jpg

http://www.protothema.gr/greece/article/527310/to-protothema-parousiazei-ta-onomata-kai-ta-eisitiria-me-ta-opoia-oi-kamikazi-taxidepsan-kalumno-peiraia/

We let them through (Austria)? Fuck my country.

The same party is the second-largest party now after the last election back in May, by the way. Denmark is super scary to be in right now because of the racism. You should see the facebook wall of a Turkish Muslim politician (and she's seriously the nicest person ever) - it's completely insane.

I'll never understand how Turks get dragged into this. We resemble Europeans (even religious Turks) moreso than the average stereotyoe of a Muslim. Not saying racism towards any Muslims are justified, but Turkish Islam is so far removed from Salafism and the kind of scary Islam that right wing Eueooeans are afraid of.

Lime

I'll never understand how Turks get dragged into this. We resemble Europeans (even religious Turks) moreso than the average stereotyoe of a Muslim. Not saying racism towards any Muslims are justified, but Turkish Islam is so far removed from Salafism and the kind of scary Islam that right wing Eueooeans are afraid of.

It's just racism. "You're a Muslim with Brown skin from that geographical region, you must know terrorists" - it continues the line that because you are follower of Islam that you are responsible or have something to do with the terrorists. It's aggravating to read whenever I see it throtted out again and again (even here on GAF).

When you think about it. It's pretty amazing we still let Germany exist as it does today. They are the only nation to attempt going to war with the entire world.... twice

Once really regarding WW2, WW1 is a very complicated war, the events that led up to it, etc. There's a lot of bad involvement of many countries there, there is no singular blame. The way treaties were setup pulled in countries into conflicts. Because of this, when conflicts broke out between different countries, others had to be pulled in due to these treaties, so it became a huge mess of countries being pulled in and fighting others that they weren't initially. Lets not forget about the imperialism that brought tensions too. Germany didn't cause the events that led to WW1, Germany just escalated it when it was already on the brink. Austraia-Hunary declared war on Serbia.

Due to the treaty between Russia and Serbia, Russia had to help out and they were doing heavy mobilisations. This was a result of Archduke Franz Ferdinand being assassinated (and other attempts by Black Hand terrorist group) by a Serbian natationalist. Germany then declared war on Russia. Basically because of all the crazy treaties/clusterfuck, countries were beginning to be pulled in, resulting in WW1. Saying Germany caused WW1 is ignoring too many of the events and nature of the world in terms of alliances/treaties at the time, plus competition of imperialism that brought conflicts, etc. Many historians argue that the true cause was the tension of imperialism amongst all the many countries, the situation of WW1 has too many hands involved to give singular blame.

Also, WW2 was also partly as a result of how Germany was treated after WW1, the economy, the Germany people feeling ashamed of being German, giving rise to nationalism by a leader like Hitler, promising to bring the country out of the dire economy/poverty it was in which he did, and he made Germans proud. The way Germany was treated after WW1 was in the nature/treatment that Germany caused everything for WW1 which wasn't true, Germany took the biggest hit and nature of singular blame when it wasn't its entire fault, again - there is no singular blame in WW1 but Germany was treated as if it were.

Post-WW2, there was a reason why the allies did not make the same mistake of post-WW1, it's why Germany and Japan for example were helped to be rebuilt, allowed to exist better than how it was treated post-WW1. The reason Germany was "allowed to exist as it does today" is because leaders/politicians did not want to make the same mistake after WW1. Germany is one the most peaceful countries in the world today, same goes for Japan for the most part (I guess Abe and his cronies are trying to change that).

Benedict

Don't forget the question of how the kurds are treated and the Armenian genocide that Turkey officially denies which have colored how many in Europe view the Turkish government.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.

Oh I see what you're saying. You're referring to the social traits (right word?) of the religion rather than the religion itself.

Yes, that's pretty much common sense, and I agree that it's not casting aspersions on all Muslims to say that Muslim communities and mosques are where we should look for these home-grown terrorists. But I can sympathise with the authorities that it's difficult to target these things without pissing off the vast majority of complete innocents - even pushing some toward extremism. It requires a lot of tact.

Chaos17

Only 7 of them have been killed and I don't think anyone's been arrested so maybe not. Wouldn't be surprised if they were talking out of their ass though.

They arrested some people : http://www.lemonde.fr/attaques-a-pa...erquisitions-a-bruxelles_4810122_4809495.html

Once really regarding WW2, WW1 is a very complicated war, the events that led up to it, etc. There's a lot of bad involvement of many countries there, there is no singular blame. The way treaties were setup pulled in countries into conflicts. Because of this, when conflicts broke out between different countries, others had to be pulled in due to these treaties, so it became a huge mess of countries being pulled in and fighting others that they weren't initially. Lets not forget about the imperialism that brought tensions too. Germany didn't cause the events that led to WW1, Germany just escalated it when it was already on the brink. Austraia-Hunary declared war on Serbia.

Due to the treaty between Russia and Serbia, Russia had to help out and they were doing heavy mobilisations. This was a result of Archduke Franz Ferdinand being assassinated (and other attempts by Black Hand terrorist group) by a Serbian natationalist. Germany then declared war on Russia. Basically because of all the crazy treaties/clusterfuck, countries were beginning to be pulled in, resulting in WW1. Saying Germany caused WW1 is ignoring too many of the events and nature of the world in terms of alliances/treaties at the time, plus competition of imperialism that brought conflicts, etc. Many historians argue that the true cause was the tension of imperialism amongst all the many countries, the situation of WW1 has too many hands involved to give singular blame.

Also, WW2 was also a result of how Germany was treated after WW1, the economy, the Germany people feeling ashamed of being German, giving rise to nationalism by a leader like Hitler, promising to bring the country out of the dire economy/poverty it was in which he did, and he made Germans proud. The way Germany was treated after WW1 was in the nature of Germany causing everything which wasn't true, Germany took the biggest hit and nature of singular blame when it wasn't.

Post-WW2, there was a reason why the allies did not make the same mistake of post-WW1, it's why Germany and Japan for example were helped to be rebuilt, allowed to exist better than how it was treated post-WW1. The reason Germany was "allowed to exist as it does today" is because leaders/politicians did not want to make the same mistake after WW1. Germany is one the most peaceful countries in the world today, same goes for Japan for the most part (I guess Abe and his cronies are trying to change that).

Thank you !

Machina

Banned
Oh Norm.

Illallowit.gif

It's not really true though. "The world"? Actually they had many allies in both wars so that's pretty much not true in the slightest, but hey... comedy....

Hitler clearly didn't give a shit about his allies when they stood in the way of his Empire. Operation Barbarossa?

DrM

Redmond's Baby

They went from Croatia to Hungary/Slovenia and then thorough Austria. And I think they certainly used fake Syrian passports, there are reports that you can get one in Turkey for 700 €

Reading up on this still - seems there was three suicide bombers outside the Football Stadium but between them they only managed to kill one person - unfortunate but it could have been so much worse.

Any reason why they didn't go into the stadium? Did security stop them? How would they even be able to? Did they grow a last second conscience and decide to just end themselves outside but someone got caught in it?

In any case, it's extremely fortunate that they never got into the stadium. I imagine they would have spread out into three different parts of the crowd which would have been catastrophic.

woen

Reading up on this still - seems there was three suicide bombers outside the Football Stadium but between them they only managed to kill one person - unfortunate but it could have been so much worse.

Any reason why they didn't go into the stadium? Did security stop them? How would they even be able to? Did they grow a last second conscious and decide to just end themselves outside but someone got caught in it?

In any case, it's extremely fortunate that they never got into the stadium. I imagine they would have spread out into three different parts of the crowd which would have been catastrophic.

Go read WSJ online

No they couldn't be. What kind of world do you live in to believe that?

A world where you think (not the one you live in).

azyless

Reading up on this still - seems there was three suicide bombers at the Football Stadium but between them they only managed to kill one person - unfortunate but it could have been so much worse.

Any reason why they didn't go into the stadium? Did security stop them? How would they even be able to? Did they grow a last second conscious and decide to just end themselves outside but someone got caught in it?

They wouldn't have been able to enter, security is pretty serious at events like these. We know one of them still tried to but was stopped by security.
It's weird that they didn't make more victims, I guess they fucked up or the thing blew up on its own, they were pretty poor quality apparently.

dc89

I think one had a ticket to the game but was refused entry by security. I don't think it's known on what grounds he was refused entry.

Edit: it's clearly known and I'm behind.

DrM

Redmond's Baby

Maybe two bombers had a issue with their explosive belts... either way, it was good thing that they did not infiltrate to the stadium, it would be bloodbath if they detonated on the stands/in the packed hallway.

Benedict

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/paris-terror-attacks-suicide-bomber-6833551
A suicide bomber who tried to enter France’s packed 80,000 capacity national football stadium was stopped by a heroic security guard.

Thousands of supporters watching France's friendly against Germany heard two loud explosions outside the Stade de France about 15 minutes in.

The guard - identified only by his first name, Zouheir - said he discovered the attacker's suicide vest while searching him at the entrance.

The attacker detonated the vest as he backed away from security said Zouheir, who was told what happened by the security team at the gate.

El Topo

Maybe two bombers had a issue with their explosive belts... either way, it was good thing that they did not infiltrate to the stadium, it would be bloodbath if they detonated on the stands/in the packed hallway.

It would've been a horrible, televised bloodbath. We can't thank the security enough.

LayLa

They were stopped from entering the stadium by security who discovered a suicide vest when frisking them down. Sounds like they then panicked and blew themselves up.

It would've been a horrible, televised bloodbath. We can't thank the security enough.
I was going to ask why they didn't just wait for the end of the game and for everyone to start leaving but then your post made me realise that a live televised explosion like that would've had much more impact. That and the timing of the other attacks, I guess they would have had to delay those as well.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
They were stopped from entering the stadium by security who discovered a suicide vest when frisking them down. Sounds like they then panicked and blew themselves up.
Mission failed. Part of me gets enjoyment when terrorists fail their horrible missions. Join the loser brigade from Flight 93.

Mission failed. Part of me gets enjoyment when terrorists fail their horrible missions. Join the loser brigade from Flight 93.

I think the biggest terrorist failure is the one at Glasgow Airport in Scotland. He tried to drive a jeep through the front doors and then blow it up.

He got stuck on the doors, accidentally set himself on fire and then a civilian kicked him in the balls.

We can be thankful that sometimes they do screw up.

Rich!

I think the biggest terrorist failure is the one at Glasgow Airport in Scotland. He tried to drive a jeep through the front doors and then blow it up.

He got stuck on the doors, accidentally set himself on fire and then a civilian kicked him in the balls.

We can be thankful that sometimes they do screw up.

That's just the standard Glaswegian greeting

Fliesen

What the ... That's like, victim blaming on a geopolitical level.

You want the kind of constant paranoia and security fetish the in the EU like the US have ever since 9/11? i surely don't.

Fuck the terrorists, and don't let them win by blaming those who "let them through".

Demoskinos

Probably already posted (sorry if so) but damn:

How Paris ISIS Terrorists May Have Used PlayStation 4 To Discuss And Plan Attacks
http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertc...ris-isis-terrorists-used-ps4-to-plan-attacks/

I wonder if the government will tell Sony to do something.

"An ISIS agent could spell out an attack plan in Super Mario Maker’s coins and share it privately with a friend"

I know this is serious but maaan does that sound absolutely ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom