• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paris Terrorist Attacks, 120+ dead. Do not post hearsay/unsourced/old news.

Status
Not open for further replies.

brau

TvDnskF.png

just regrettable. :(

orochi91

he basically blamed the french police/intelligence for not doing enough after the charlie hebdo attacks...

must be nice to "Monday quarterback" these things...

To be honest, I'm stunned at the scope of today's assault, especially since the Charlie Hebdo incident happened.

I'll admit that wasn't the right word to use. What is clear though is that more needs to be done than already is to stop radicalization at its roots. And local community mosques have some degree of influence they can wield in that regard.

I'll agree to that, since radicalization in mosques have been alluded to in parts of Europe.

Where's your source on this?

So France 24 has updated the death toll to 140 people.

They are very conservative in reporting the situation (not jumping to conclusions), so that is pretty much the current number. Ugh :(

I think most people figured out there was an ISIS connection pretty early.

Zero chance Washington is a possible target, more worried about London

Where's that from?

Where is your source on this?

Source?
SH** not Rome!, they are capable of destroying so much remnants of physical history.

We need a link

please at least say where you are getting this from...

sourceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Do they mean Rome as in ROME or Rome as in Turkey?

Reuters
https://t.co/dWirbKCvmB

Really? Why post this?

Please don't.

If we start posting stupid and ignorant speech on social media we'll soon drown in it.

I needed somewhere to vent about how insensitive and ignorant these people are, politicizing this mere hours after it all happened. Sadly everyone around me and that I know mostly agrees with the crap those people said.

Really not worth making a new thread, posted here. Apologies.

What does it say about the world - or myself - that I no longer find this kind of news shocking in the least? I've become numb to it. I've done the "sitting in front of the TV/computer watching news for hours with a kleenex in hand and not being able to sleep all night" thing too many times now. 9/11 in particular broke me in ways I didn't even realize at the time.

Lutherian

Damn, I'm kind of relieved.
Sorry for sharing shit like that, I was searching for a verified source too, I should not have shared this until I got one.

So the fire in Calais was a false information too. What's surprising to me is that it was two weeks ago and I didn't hear anything about it until now.

It understandable, seriously, I was panicked when I saw the photos of Calais and I'm still worried it could be real...

Oh no, this is awful for all the casualties. Such needless violence!

Could there be more attacks in the coming weeks? I'm in London all next week and am slightly worried by this.

I got a brother in Berlin and a sister living in Amsterdam. I understand your worries. Should scare me too. Hope you'll be safe.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Can't stop watching television, I'm confused, sad and scared.

Also wondering....How will France react and which European city is next?

At this point i'm just happy not to live in a very large city (Nijmegen, Netherlands). But that could change next year when i'm starting residency.

It's frightening to even think about.

Shmuppers

If they attack Washington, they'll get the war they want

but the only world that will end will be their own

edit: I mean that they will be killed, and the "world", or humanity at large, will continue to exist

M52B28

Banned
Honestly, with the way that things are: 24hr ban for source-less posts.

That's just me. Posting news with out a source throws everyone off, and also leads to people getting worried.

Just stop.

SomTervo

The West has problems with coming to grips with the fact that ISIS' motivation is a religious prophecy, according to which a war with "the West" will lead to the beginning of the end times, to which these maniacs are looking forward to.

"What ISIS really wants": http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/03/what-isis-really-wants/384980/
I wish more people knew this. ISIS is literally trying to kick-start the end times.

Oh, yeesh. Oh, man.

Not inevitable. Western intervention is partly to blame for the chaos. We had absolutely no idea who we were helping or what we were doing.

Assad is awful but under his rule, Syria was a relatively safe, stable country.

'What's the alternative' - being cautious and careful is something that would benefit everyone. Our reactions to previous atrocities have been a disaster

That is absolutely true re Western intervention. But imagine the fatalist worst-case scenario: what if, when we don't act, we are all killed and the entire western world is destroyed?

That's a ridiculous idea, but that's what I mean philosophically. When it becomes a direct attack, what else can you do? Defend or attack back.

I totally agree with you that being cautious and careful is the best way for every nation/state/group to operate, same goes for every human, too - but that is not how IS are operating. They are operating in brash, destructive attack. If we sit and be cautious/careful, it might leave us exposed. What else do you do?

PS the sentence 'Assad is awful but under his rule, Syria was a relatively safe, stable country' sounds absolutely ridiculous and like you're apologising for Assad's actions in the long-run

MIMIC

Banned
CNN: Dallas to Paris flight cancelled amid Paris attack

They're also saying that other flights are in a "holding pattern". Some flights being cancelled/delayed as they evaluate the situation.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The West has problems with coming to grips with the fact that ISIS' motivation is a religious prophecy, according to which a war with "the West" will lead to the beginning of the end times, to which these maniacs are looking forward to.

"What ISIS really wants": http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/03/what-isis-really-wants/384980/

So if the war with the West doesn't end up with the apocalypse, but with their elimination, wouldn't that deem their believes to be false?

CNN just reported that the next Dallas to Paris flight is cancelled. Other airlines are evaluating situation to determine whether to cancel, delay, or go ahead...

SwolBro

Banned
If they attack Washington, they'll get the war they want

but the only world that will end will be their own

Exactly who are we going to war with? These acts were carried out, most likely, by French citizens that became radicalized (if this was an act of islamic extremism)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom