• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paris Terrorist Attacks, 120+ dead. Do not post hearsay/unsourced/old news.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
So if the war with the West doesn't end up with the apocalypse, but with their elimination, wouldn't that deem their believes to be false?

Religious nutters have always been very flexible with prophecies. I don't think that you can flat out disprove anything. The only way forward that seems realistic is to support reformers, especially in those societies who support those versions of Islam that incompatible with modern civilization and values. But that's a long-term endeavor to which the West can only contribute so much.

hwy_61

Banned
That's fair, although I'd advise taking some gun courses if you do so as well (assuming you aren't already experienced).

You know whats even more terrifying than someone firing into a dark theatre? An inexperienced and adrenaline loaded person trying to fire back in that dark theatre lol.

definitely taking courses if I do.

the fuck are they doing?!

GO THE FUCK HOME YOU DUMMIES

Before you start calling people who have just suffered a major terrorist attack dummies, maybe you should stay informed enough to know that this picture is old.

Now get out of here if you have nothing to contribute.

1,500 troops mobilized. Does this mean Martial Law is in effect? I haven't heard any mention of it.

Can't stop watching television, I'm confused, sad and scared.

Also wondering....How will France react and which European city is next?

France is going to react in the same way America did post-9/11: Increased governmental encroachment into privacy, waves of Islamophobic violence against innocent Muslims and refugees, and government provisions that would give the French government any and all power it believes necessary to stop a future attack e.g. indefinite detainment, torture, etc.

Scipio

The only good news tonight is that it must be the most inefficient suicide bombers ever. I can't imagine how they managed to only kill themselves afaik in a place where there are 80000 people about to fill the streets.

I hope all your relatives are safe... And my students too :/
It wasn't inside, and usually suicide bombings have very low casualties (1 to 3), certainly not always. It are hostage situations that are much worse.

25 million pilgrims are awaited in Rome, starting from December, for an extraordinary Jubilee called by Francesco.

Italian authorities were already very worried about the high security risks.

hwy_61

Banned
Before you start calling people who have just suffered a major terrorist attack dummies, maybe you should stay informed enough to know that this picture is old.

Now get out of here if you have nothing to contribute.

1,500 troops mobilized. Does this mean Martial Law is in effect? I haven't heard any mention of it.

I edited my post before you decided to attack me. thanks for ignoring the edit.

I had little/no awareness of IS back then, and in that context - you are absolutely right in your analysis.

My post was only based on the context that Assad was waging a heinous war against his own people, and he had to be deposed.

Throw IS in the mix, though? Your analysis is totally right. I wasn't aware of that situation back then.

Maybe that foresight is something you should take into consideration when you propose the stuff you're proposing now. What happens if these guys were French citizens who had never step foot in Syria/Iraq? What happens if they were with some Yemen sect? Do you invade Yemen now?

Think logically and take the past into consideration.

samn

Oh, yeesh. Oh, man.

That is absolutely true re Western intervention. But imagine the fatalist worst-case scenario: what if, when we don't act, we are all killed and the entire western world is destroyed?

That's a ridiculous idea, but that's what I mean philosophically. When it becomes a direct attack, what else can you do? Defend or attack back.

I totally agree with you that being cautious and careful is the best way for every nation/state/group to operate, same goes for every human, too - but that is not how IS are operating. They are operating in brash, destructive attack. If we sit and be cautious/careful, it might leave us exposed. What else do you do?

PS the sentence 'Assad is awful but under his rule, Syria was a relatively safe, stable country' sounds absolutely ridiculous and like you're apologising for Assad's actions in the long-run

I said Assad was and is awful, but you must admit Syria was better off before than it is now. We can't keep poking the hornets nest until the country is perfect. So please don't put words in my mouth I didn't say or try to shame me into agreeing with you.

As for this philosophical question, I don't see the point in engaging with it, because it is so ridiculous.

kuroshiki

A Muslim I work with was just telling me the other day that he thinks sharia law will, at some point, be brought in for muslims in the UK. He was very keen to point out that he thought this would be a good thing. And this guy's a moderate.

if that's moderate, then yeah. we are fucked.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Translation taken from The Guardian:

Here is Reuters’ translation of François Hollande’s address from around 11pm on Friday evening (UK time):

My dear compatriots,

As I speak, terrorist attacks of unprecedented proportions are underway in the Paris area. There are dozens killed, there are many injured. It is a horror.

We have, on my decision, mobilised all forces possible to neutralise the terrorists and make all concerned areas safe. I have also asked for military reinforcements. They are currently in the Paris area, to ensure that no new attack can take place. I have also called a cabinet meeting that will be held in a few minutes.

Two decisions will be taken: a state of emergency will be declared, which means that some places will be closed, traffic may be banned , and there will also be searches which may be decided throughout Ile de France (greater Paris). The state of emergency will be proclaimed throughout the territory (of France).

The second decision I have made is to close the borders. We must ensure that no one enters to commit any crimes and that those who have committed the crimes that we have unfortunately seen can also be arrested if they should leave the territory.

This is a terrible ordeal which once again assails us. We know where it comes from, who these criminals are, who these terrorists are.

In these difficult moments, we must - and I’m thinking of the many victims, their families and the injured - show compassion and solidarity. But we must also show unity and calm.

Faced with terror, France must be strong, it must be great and the state authorities must be firm. We will be.

We must also call on everyone to be responsible.

What the terrorists want is to scare us and fill us with dread. There is indeed reason to be afraid. There is dread, but in the face of this dread, there is a nation that knows how to defend itself, that knows how to mobilise its forces and, once again, will defeat the terrorists.

French citizens, we have not completed the operations. There are still some that are extremely difficult. It’s at this moment that the security forces are staging an assault, especially in a place in Paris.

I ask you to keep all your trust in what we can do with the security forces to protect our nation from terrorist acts.

Long live the Republic and long live France.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
A Muslim I work with was just telling me the other day that he thinks sharia law will, at some point, be brought in for muslims in the UK. He was very keen to point out that he thought this would be a good thing. And this guy's a moderate.

Fuck your coworker.

Not literally.

Raiden

Banned
What I want to know is why didnt the people in the theatre attack the terrorists?

Surely they must know that they would most likely be killed anyway?
I dont think you understand the feeling of sheer terror. This is not a movie and we dont know that many details of the massacre. Not every situation is lucky enough to have trainen military men around to save the situation like recently.

This kind of stuff always leaves me speechless. I don't know what goes through a person's head that makes thing want to commit these heinous crimes. Either way, stay safe Paris. Hopefully, it ends soon and the persons responsible for it are dealt with accordingly.

Shepard

Le Monde : 112 deaths, 70 in Bataclan.
Des attaques simultanées se sont déroulées vendredi 13 novembre dans sept lieux à Paris et à Saint-Denis, faisant au moins 112 morts, et de très nombreux blessés selon nos informations.

It's pretty scummy of the UK press to be reporting the Calais fire as a 'revenge attack' without any solid evidence. It's as if they are trying to will a cycle of violence into existence.

CBC you're so fucking stupid, "WILL THERE BE INCREASED SECURITY AT THE SOCCER GAME IN VANCOUVER TONIGHT BECAUSE OF PARIS, WE'RE REPORTING NOW"

wow this is FOX News levels bad

CBC is a mess right now. Their Remembrance Day coverage was replete with idiotic commentary like this.

brau

WoquMZO.png

Source

hwy_61

Banned

fuck that's scary shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom