• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAX Prime 2015 Attendees Thread

_woLf

What games did ya'll find that had free tshirts when you preordered them?

I got mad max, the division and for honor and homefront but I know there must be tons more...

Also, the scale of pax this year is insane. All booths seems crazy big in terms of prop size this year. Oculus' booth is sooooooooo big.

I leave bright and early tomorrow morning for PAX. Look forward to good times, great games, and swag bags. PM me if you want to hang with some beer.

I won't know where anything is. Good times.

jediyoshi

Also, the scale of pax this year is insane. All booths seems crazy big in terms of prop size this year. Oculus' booth is sooooooooo big.

Making the queue room more floor space was the right move.

Trion party was great, free dranks and steins

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I overheard that the Square party involved "poutine and Snakes". Snakes I guess because Tomb Raider maybe? But were they live? And what connection does poutine make? I don't get it...

Alan Smithee

Neo Member
Did anyone happen to get an invite to any Dark Souls 3 events? I was hoping to get a signed poster by Miyazaki. If it's anything like Comic Con they should have those ridiculously long posters.

Not going to Pax Prime since I'm in California (someday!) but if you can snag one I could help with your expenses

_woLf

I overheard that the Square party involved "poutine and Snakes". Snakes I guess because Tomb Raider maybe? But were they live? And what connection does poutine make? I don't get it...

Snakes because tomb raider. Poutine because it's a dev team from Montreal, and poutine is a canadian thing.

krae_man

Snakes because the game had snakes. Poutine because Montreal, and bitchin music because why Not.

Also a stereotypical nerd thrashing in the mosh pit destroying the posters in his bag in the process without realizing it :lol

wilflare

What booth would that be? I'll aim to stop by tomorrow.

I'm over at Booth 6708 :D
do drop by and say hi - or say you're looking for wilflare!

I'm interning at the micro-publisher, Ysbryd Games (we have YIIK and VA-11 HALL-A over at the Indie MEGA Booth and Masquerada over at Booth 6708) :D

krae_man

Pic of the snake for those curious:
mNcG1DQ.jpg

Quenk

I'm over at Booth 6708 :D
do drop by and say hi - or say you're looking for wilflare!

I'm interning at the micro-publisher, Ysbryd Games (we have YIIK and VA-11 HALL-A over at the Indie MEGA Booth and Masquerada over at Booth 6708) :D

I passed by there yesterday. I definitely want to stop by and try those games out.

MiguelItUp

You guys should hit up the Dreadnought booth! I'm there non-stop. I'm the Jon Snow lookin' dude. Haha. I really need to go check out some stuff here when I get a chance. At least I got to see that Dark Souls III display in person, it's unreal.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
No PAX until tomorrow for me (have yet to ever get Sat badges any years I've gone) so I'll wander the city. Btw if Game Works isn't to your liking, I recommend Round 1 arcade (and more!) It's further out near the airport but they are awesome awesome arcades and have tons of import games and prizes. I'll be checking it out later to see the selection.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Bumping to ask if PAX still has power? Up north from Seattle a bit and there are blackouts scattered around from the wind storm (and downed trees).

Mazre

Bumping to ask if PAX still has power? Up north from Seattle a bit and there are blackouts scattered around from the wind storm (and downed trees).

Yeah, think the lights may have flickered briefly, thought it might have been imagined.

Moofers

So it's 3 hours into Saturday and I've played Rainbow Six, Resident Evil 0, and Viking Squad. All other lines are constantly fucking capped at all times, so please fuck off. Also, the line for fucking off is capped as well. Thank you for coming to PAX!

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, think the lights may have flickered briefly, thought it might have been imagined.

I'm sure they have a good power grid/generator etc. But looks like there will probably be some flight delays/cancellations this weekend.

Wazzy

Banned
Jeez today was messy. Wanted to line up for XIV with friends but it was capped and the lineup was confusing which made things even more annoying so we left for Halo 5 which was ALSO capped. Then we tried to do Xenoblade live demo and waited 30 minutes and finally had enough so we tried to do Splatoon but Splatoon ended up being a capped failure as well while the guide for the line was rude so we kind of left annoyed and decided to go paint a figurine and I made a Gambit one out of mine. After that we went and did a couple pokemon matches with the Pokemon League going on which was fun. Saw a lot of amazing cosplay today and visited the LGBT panel which was cool.

Yesterday was better for us. We got to play XV, Final Fantasy Explorers, Grandia II, Rocket League Tourney and shop around.

Karak

Waiting for Giant Bomb as well.
I may stop by Gameworks on my way back to my hotel.

You may find me wearing a Ratholos t-shirt.

I may too.
If you have never seen one of my videos I having a beard, beanie, look completely wasted from Press meetings and am most likely the one person who looks like I just got off a Harley.

As we are listing our PAX fuckups for the day. Mine was watching some of the insanely embarrassing almost pure spectacle twitch stage. That was downright absolutely embarrassing. Saw a developer(highly known here at GAF), turn around and walk away in disgust. Fucking stupid.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
As we are listing our PAX fuckups for the day. Mine was watching some of the insanely embarrassing almost pure spectacle twitch stage. That was downright absolutely embarrassing. Saw a developer(highly known here at GAF), turn around and walk away in disgust. Fucking stupid.

Wait what happened?

Hopefully tomorrow will be better for lines...

I got a little lost finding my hotel (Grand Hyatt), but checked in, and my room was lovely (actually, the bedroom was standard. The bathroom was really fancy. I kid you not).

I spent most of my time looking around the expo hall, and it was a lot to take in. Considered trying Battleborn and For Honor, but both lines were capped and would take a couple of hours to play them. I'll probably leave one for tomorrow and the other for Monday.

Beforehand, I tried to go to the Vive truck, but it was booked for the day. I'll get up early and hopefully set myself up for an appropriate time. I got my Oculus demo set up for Monday afternoon.

As for the games I actually played:

Played Street Fighter V specifically for Rainbow Mika, but realized I haven't played and Street Fighter in a long time, so took some practice.

Assault Android Cactus was a game I was interested in when it was first announced, but my computer isny powerful enough to handle the game. After hesring it would eventually come to PS4, it became a priorty to try it. The characters are adorable, and the action was intense, being a top down arcade shooter.

Stories: The Hidden Path is a top down adventure game that focuses on branching storylines based on the stages you pick. I didn't played it for too long because I ran into a gamebreaking bug and the game needed to reset.

When I watched and played Just Shapes & Beats, the first thing that came to mind was Sound Shapes,, with the rule of avoiding the red stuff (bars, bullets, and circles). Great music to go with it, too.

Super Dungeon Bros was your standard Diablo game. It was alright.

Checked out the Midair pre-alpha at the event I registered at. Since I played a lot of shooters, it was nothing special. However, one of the creators mentioned they were focusing on the physics of the game; namely "flying" from point A to point B with one if the game's guns and a jetpack. I did get a drinking glass on my way out, but they said they were meant to be for guests who attended "last year".

One big game I did managed to wait in line for a couple of hours (thoigh I wished didn't ) was Star Fox Zero. Plays almost like 64, but the mechanics changed for the Wii U gamepad (somersault, U-turn, BARREL ROLL, and recticle aiming). It was definitely fun after getting used to it.
NOTE: Those who play the demo get the SF logo patch, which you can simply peel and stick. If you're lucky enough to play on one of the two the special Arwing seats (unlike me : ( ), you get a shiny (?) Arwing pin.

Finally, I stopped at the Nintendo Indies area to try:
-Shantae: 1/2 Genie Hero (because I backed it, but not enough to get a demo for my computer)
-Freedom Planet (played before at PAX South, but has the third main character playable; and the official game was delayed)
Was going to try Fast Racing Neo and the new Shovel Knight DLC, but then the lineup for Giant Bomb started, so maybe tomorrow.

And that's my day.
The one big thing that sucks is that the PAX app on my phone started crashing on me, so I can't check my custom schedule or do the XP quest.
EDIT/QUICK TIP: Download the Guidebook app and get the PAX Prime guide in it. Your schedule should be intact. If not, then at least the app will work.

Coppanuva

Was going to try Fast Racing Neo and the new Shovel Knight DLC, but then the lineup for Giant Bomb started, so maybe tomorrow.

And that's my day.
The one big thing that sucks is that the PAX app crapped out on me, so I can't check my custom schedule or do the XP quest.

Shovel knight dlc is awesome! I also saw it on the 6th floor at yacht clubs store, if the nindie line is long (though I doubt it is). Also same on the app, completely missed all 3 panel reminders I set so I didn't see any. Big letdown, they really should let you do a lot of that locally rather than relying on the server to send notifications and do data.

Karak

Wait what happened?

Hopefully tomorrow will be better for lines...

Most of it wasn't about games at all, it was people freaking out, spectacle and screaming. It was like watching a bunch of people slowly devolve in front of your eyes and for a good deal of time not alot of game discussion

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Most of it wasn't about games at all, it was people freaking out, spectacle and screaming. It was like watching a bunch of people slowly devolve in front of your eyes and for a good deal of time not alot of game discussion

Sounds like most channels on Twitch nowadays, especially the talk show portions. I feel like a lot of those just touch on games just to be able to stream, but otherwise talk about anything but.

I've always wondered if the best seat in the house for conventions is at home or actually on site. I've always wanted to go to e3 or PAX East but standing in lines sweating all day doesn't sound too intriguing either. For those of you who've done both, what do you think?

Coppanuva

I've always wondered if the best seat in the house for conventions is at home or actually on site. I've always wanted to go to e3 or PAX East but standing in lines sweating all day doesn't sound too intriguing either. For those of you who've done both, what do you think?

Depends on what you're after. For news/footage, at home is definitely best. But you can play theme at this, and chat with the developers which is cool. There's also all the non-expo hall things at them, like the handheld lounge, console freeplay rooms, tabletop etc.

Sure, some of the bigger games (and games that give away t-shirts) have huge lines you can eat up 2-3 hours waiting for.But if you're into smaller games, either indie or games that don't have a number in the title, you can play a ton and the lines aren't bad. I played Orcs Must Die Unchained and we actually had to wait to pull people in so we could play a full 5v5 match (PVE line was much longer than PVP for some reason). I also waited maybe 5 minutes to play the Plague of Shadows DLC for Shovel Knight, walked right into a match of Brawlhalla and Rivals of Aether, and waited maybe 10 minutes for SFV.

Conversely I could've spent probably all that time in line for Halo 5, Super Mario Maker (why does this have a super long line really? It comes out in 2 weeks), and Star Fox Zero. Really just depends on what you're after I guess.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Conversely I could've spent probably all that time in line for Halo 5, Super Mario Maker (why does this have a super long line really? It comes out in 2 weeks), and Star Fox Zero.

Still something new and they allow up to 20 mins of gameplay per person, so yeah lines can definitely form in that time. I did a few things on it but didn't want to hog it since there were people behind me. Lots to sample and not all of the levels shown will necessarily be on the actual game, I was told.

Lhadatt

It's always better to PAX in-person rather than on your couch. Watching the content on Twitch isn't the same actually being there. There is so much more to do than panels and expo hall that I'm not actually queuing for anything most of the time. My PAXing is usually:

• Map out a few must-see panels and booths using the schedule/Guidebook app.
  • Hit up the merch booth or expo hall for a first grand tour, unless there's a panel or Storytime (keynote) is interesting -- or I feel like kicking it off with the PA Q&A.
  • Play games that look interesting that don't have ginormous lines. Gotta check out the indies.
  • Meet up with friends for tabletop, console, arcade, etc. gaming. Or lunch.
  • Fill in time with more expo halling, checking out the auxillary stuff around the expo hall, or taking in a panel.
  • After the expo hall closes, play more tabletop, console, arcade, etc.
  • Get a smoothie from the smoothie people. Repeat several times before 100% PAX achieved.
  • After the convention center closes -- find a party, go back to the hotel for more games, or crash out for the night. There's usually always something to do for the nightowls.
  • Repeat for three more days.

It always helps to skip the big lines and zero in on the coolest looking stuff to check out later on. First thing in the morning or toward the end of the show on Monday are usually good times to get to things with huge lines. My best PAX experiences have been the smaller moments, like playing Splendor with a friend and a random (new friend!) near the smoothie cafe, or trying to introduce people to Power Stone in Console Freeplay.

ADDENDUM: I'm a bit bummed that I'm missing Prime this year. The streamed content is helping, but not by much.

Coppanuva

Still something new and they allow up to 20 mins of gameplay per person, so yeah lines can definitely form in that time. I did a few things on it but didn't want to hog it since there were people behind me. Lots to sample and not all of the levels shown will necessarily be on the actual game, I was told.

I guess, I ended up skipping it since personally the 2 week wait wasn't worth missing out on all the other cool games there. But I guess if everybody thought that way and there was no line I'd have been playing it so...

Top Bottom