• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Payday 2 |OT| See you at the safe house.

It doesn't go out of its way to explain much but the keyboard/button prompts are there. I won't lie that if you are new it can feel really awkward for a bit as you are coming to grips with what works and what doesn't and what you can do with a Mask on or off.

I am hoping to use the safehouse to work out those kinks. I hope.

demolitio

I think it would be neat if this game added another boss-type enemy to the game that would only show up on certain heists based off of movie scenes that would really play off of the cliches in some of the action movies. I'd call it the John McClane enemy type and it's a detective or super-cop that is extremely agile and accurate while running around with a heavy weapon firing from the hip. He would take a lot more shots than a normal unit similar to the Bulldozer meaning teamwork is the only way to take him down unlike stupid action movies where the enemies encounter him one at a time.

I'm partially joking but it'd be hilarious to see that ingame. At least I didn't mention The Expendables! :D.

Hell, maybe even have a rival heist-group show up in the middle of certain heists and try to take your loot and glory.

This is one of the only games from Amazon I've bought in the last few years that didn't have release day delivery available, weird. Pre ordered it a few months ago and figured they would change it, but nope. Hopefully I'll get it by Wednesday at least.

derFeef

Amazon has some preorder bonuses but I am not sure if they are the same ones. Sorry scratch that. No they don't that I can see.

Feel free to add me to any Steam lists as well guys. I am down for playing.
Edit: Actually I should probably use my normal one- Karak on Steam

My review will go live in a couple hours http://youtu.be/xLb4LiWaeoE

will add you, curious for your review. Did you have access to the whole game and were there enough people to test it with?

Mattiator

Couple quick questions :).
Does this game require 4 human controlled players at all time?
Does the steam version support chat or must you go out and find own servers?
Thanks for your time :)

Mattiator

you can run all heists with one person, but it's more fun with people helping you.

Thanks for the response! I just wasn't sure if me and my good friend could do it or if it was like lfd where you need a full good team.
Good to know you could solo everything!

demolitio

Clearly no one liked my John McClane idea...lol.

I can't believe I'm waiting til' 5AM for this but I'm excited. Solid reviews for this sort of game.

D

Deleted member 286591

Unconfirmed Member
Not usually a fan of IGN, but that video review is pretty spot on though.
But "broken" single player sure is a weird way of putting it.

Anyway, you guys are gonna love it :)

Ntsouls

Banned
Game stinks.
Awful graphics
terrible sensitivity issues with aiming(dead zone or w/e it's called)
no split screen.
can't pick up weapons.

BeBen

Banned

Seriously...a similar type game like L4D and L4D2 have the same AI problems in single player and they both got 9s

Who cares about reviews after playing the beta?

But it those reviews are looking better than Ducktales and a bit worse than Papers Please.

Game stinks.
Awful graphics
terrible sensitivity issues with aiming(dead zone or w/e it's called)
no split screen.
can't pick up weapons.

Haters gonna hate.

Funny, just had that same thought. Both their cons and pros are fairly valid. Seems they gave it a fair shake and recognize the co-op potential, while critiquing the obvious flaws.

Moosehole

Well I see Sony is up to their usual incompetence when it comes to the PlayStation Store. Game was supposed to be available at midnight, it even said so when I preordered it. Glad to see I stayed up for nothing.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Who cares about reviews after playing the beta?

But it those reviews are looking better than Ducktales and a bit worse than Papers Please.

I think they can be good for those on the edge, but of course if you loved the beta you'll love the full game. Especially if you liked the first game since it's almost ridiculous how much more content this game has than the original game.

Dusk Golem

Is this co-op only?
Is it enjoyable solo if there is a singleplayer?

You can play single player, or have an AI bot, but it's like L4D and really a game meant for multiplayer. However, there is a Steam group for the game and I know I and others here plan to play with GAF'ers (for me when not playing with some friends). The AI will not do objectives for you, but are pretty good at shooting cops, dodging bullets, and reviving you if downed.

D

Deleted member 286591

Unconfirmed Member
Seriously...a similar type game like L4D and L4D2 have the same AI problems in single player and they both got 9s

Funny, just had that same thought. Both their cons and pros are fairly valid. Seems they gave it a fair shake and recognize the co-op potential, while critiquing the obvious flaws.

Yeah I tend to not obsess too much about ratings, you know. But I do agree that despite its flaws (which are outlined pretty well in that review), the lasting feeling is one of "fuckin awesome" which might give that unfair impression for an 8 (even though 8 is already very good when you think about it, we're just so used to hyperboles and 9.5 and shit that it seems too low, when it's objectively just not).

Played the game all day everyday (on PC) and it really is awesome. I've played 27 hours on the beta and the conclusion I came to is that the biggest achievement with this game (IMHO) is just the overall ambiance and how they nailed the whole heist / Heat feeling.

Sure textures are weak, some geometry really is from another age, but fuck all that. That amazing Viklund soundtrack, those gunfights (so much better than the first one it's not even funny) with the sound effects (dat street reverb <3 <3), the characters talking when you interact and just the whole sense of urgency is what gets me.

And it sure helps that the whole progression and skills system seem pretty well balanced, with tough choices to make and it's not just a gimmick or a carrot on a stick to add some "fake" replayability and keep players to do the same maps again and again.

rodan

Neo Member
Any chance someone could check if there is southpaw in the pad control options? I.e. aim with left stick.

Thanks

zkylon

zkylewd
I really wish they do a l4d thingie and they update the old payday 1 maps to payday 2

the suburbs map and first world bank are my favorites by far

10/10 masterpiece

Signed - Everyone with a brain

ok maybe not 10s but i'm expecting 9.0s
hmm dunno about 10, got my quirks about the game already, but so far pretty pleased with it myself

that's pretty beast

The experience itself will probably vary widely from player to player. If you have a team of friends that can coordinate to pull off some intense stealthy heist, you'll probably have a much better time than playing it like a horde mode with a bunch of randoms. Nothing wrong with horde mode or even mixing it up now and again to get into gun fights, but pulling off a perfect run without alerting the cops is so satisfying.

Dusk Golem

The experience itself will probably vary widely from player to player. If you have a team of friends that can coordinate to pull off some intense stealthy heist, you'll probably have a much better time than playing it like a horde mode with a bunch of randoms. Nothing wrong with horde mode or even mixing it up now and again to get into gun fights, but pulling off a perfect run without alerting the cops is so satisfying.

Definitely how I feel, though it is nice how differently rounds can go with different people. Another fun moment is when a plan seems to be going well, but then it all butchers up and becomes a struggle.

Definitely how I feel, though it is nice how differently rounds can go with different people. Another fun moment is when a plan seems to be going well, but then it all butchers up and becomes a struggle.

Yup. Even if you mess up half way through and end your sneaky heist, which results in having to fight your way out near the end, that still feels awesome. Messing up can be just as satisfying as long as you don't completely drag it out and actually try to gtfo.

derFeef

If you are alone and you join a group - you can always roleplay as this guy:

FZruDD5.gif

demolitio

Not sure why they went the Dead Island route...

I liked the bagged corpse in the dumpster though

I was having fun with bagging bodies last night. I kept throwing them on the dance floor in the night club and my teammate actually went over there and thought it was a bag of money already and kept picking it up not knowing what the hell it was. It was just funny to watch him sit on top of it as I envision his thought process during it.

It's definitely something I want to use correctly on some stealth playthroughs but I need some more buddies to play with since randoms always blow a stealth run. Hell, more people need to use mics in this game too.

Hixx

Anyone got their code from GMG yet? I ordered it a few days ago and not got it, someone ordered it last night and got it straight away :/

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Anyone got their code from GMG yet? I ordered it a few days ago and not got it, someone ordered it last night and got it straight away :/

Click on "Download" next to Payday 2 in your games list. My list says "No keys available for this game," but clicking that gave me one.

Daigoro

reviews are looking good. (not that it matters too much)

im excited to start playing.

That certainly triggers weird feelings.

yeah. im all amped up to pull a heist, but these are some pretty shitty human beings we'll be playing as.

creepy, but interesting.

Top Bottom