• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Payday 2 |OT| See you at the safe house.

I am getting annoyed with the amount of jewelry store grinding and fucktards who kick people seconds before the end of a mission...not sure how they solve that one

Goon Boon

Banned
Man, I'm finding the game itself great, but are there really 17 heists like that interview said?

bptMsHi.jpg

Most of the bank heists recycle most of the level with the biggest difference I've noticed being position of the vault, and the jewelry heist/ukranian heist are extremely similar too. I mean if they outright said "we'll have a handful of base maps with randomized differences in guard patrols, cameras, vaults, loot, etc" it'd be one thing, but it feels like they either heavily exaggerated or [cut/temporarily cut] content to get the game out earlier.

BlindRage

Ran a couple heist, got kicked out of 2 -_- every other one people think they are Rambo.

Down to play tomorrow/tomorrow night wanna do some stealth heist, everyone I played with went mask on right away. Hate that

Salsa

we played one 3 day heist on very hard with zkylon the day it came out and got stuck on the last day for 6 hours before beating it and I havent played the game for 2 days after that

it was madness

turns out it was shitty randoms joining, we beat it alone with bots

but yeah I need to come back, that just kinda left me burnt out on the game for a bit, we were super underleveled for it

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
we played one 3 day heist on very hard with zkylon the day it came out and got stuck on the last day for 6 hours before beating it and I havent played the game for 2 days after that

it was madness

turns out it was shitty randoms joining, we beat it alone with bots

but yeah I need to come back, that just kinda left me burnt out on the game for a bit, we were super underleveled for it

Day 3 of the Framing job almost did this to me. I settled for refusing to do any mission stealthily for the remainder of the day instead. Fuck that job.

What's the downside to respeccing ?

You lose half of the money you spent getting that high on the tree.

web01

Man, I'm finding the game itself great, but are there really 17 heists like that interview said?

bptMsHi.jpg

Most of the bank heists recycle most of the level with the biggest difference I've noticed being position of the vault, and the jewelry heist/ukranian heist are extremely similar too. I mean if they outright said "we'll have a handful of base maps with randomized differences in guard patrols, cameras, vaults, loot, etc" it'd be one thing, but it feels like they either heavily exaggerated or [cut/temporarily cut] content to get the game out earlier.

Game has way more individual levels than Payday 1 + its DLC, problem
is the best larger maps are also hidden in the multi day heists so people don't know they exist.

They could have also been much smarter in their map reuse though, night versions of then mall and bank could be interesting.

Yeah Day 3 of Framing Frame is pretty damn difficult. Almost stealthed it once but got busted shortly after. We were able to complete it on Hard, at least. The key is to keep two people on each circuit breaker in order to prevent interruption, but a lot of randoms like to turtle so that becomes more difficult than it should be.

Anyways I unlocked my saw and I love it. Deposit boxes ain't shit.

Game has way more individual levels than Payday 1 + its DLC, problem
is the best larger maps are also hidden in the multi day heists so people don't know they exist.

They could have also been much smarter in their map reuse though, night versions of then mall and bank could be interesting.

Payday 1 had bigger levels. But it isn't relevant: I didn't buy Payday 1 because it didn't have enough content.

Ephemeris

You lose half of the money you spent getting that high on the tree.

Gotcha. Thanks.

Wonder if it's worth it to respec, C4 it up for a while to get enough $$ where respeccing again doesn't hurt the wallet.

I love my Mastermind|Ghost pseudo class, but shit hits the fan so easily I'm back to gunning in no time

DocSeuss

Ugh. Despite all the minor improvements (particularly to the in-game UI--the other stuff is awful, like the mission select menu/forcibly sitting through "here is what you got paid specifically and how it breaks down into money you'll never see"/etc), I'm going to go ahead and say that Payday 2 is waaaay worse than its predecessor, which goes on sale so frequently for $5 that you really can't pass it up.

I'm still playing the game fifty hours later or so, despite having what, eight or nine missions? There are just so many variations the missions can have... Payday 2 doesn't really have that.

Oh, sure, Rats might have planks that spawn in different locations, or Watch Dogs might have the big cargo boat or a fence in a different spot, but I'm talking about how, on Diamond Heist, you could get caught and have to reset the tablets, or you'd have to find the CFO (and if he didn't talk, you'd have to find Ralph), not to mention tablets/spawn locations/a bunch of other stuff. Payday had so many more opportunities for things to end up going wrong that Payday 2 just doesn't have.

Payday 2's like "hey, yeah, so, here, endless waves of enemies, drill open this thing over here, okay, that's all there is to do."

bptMsHi.jpg

So, here's the deal: when the beta came out, they said we had "seven" heists. Those seven heists were: Safe House, Bank Heist, Bank Heist Lockboxes, Watch Dogs, Rats, Four Stores, and Jewelry Store. Later, they added an eighth with Night Club.

As far as I can tell, there are five variations of bank heist, not including the map's reappearance in the final level of Firestarter.

So yeah, of the 17 missions, 16 are 'actual' missions (because Safe House isn't a mission, not really), and of those 16 missions, five of them are Bank Heist. Two of them are Jewelry store (Ukranian job is a separate mission).

Apparently there are two different Watch Dogs missions (I've seen several screenshots with/some footage of that map at night), or at least two different uses of that night time map.

It's just that unlike Payday 1, it feels cheap because the maps are so small and utterly lacking in the number of tasks players are required to complete.

I don't really feel bad for having bought the game, and I'm having fun with it, but... I'm kinda underwhelmed and find myself wanting more and more to return to the original game.

-----

Moneywise, it's just not worth stealthing most of these maps.

Yeah Day 3 of Framing Frame is pretty damn difficult. Almost stealthed it once but got busted shortly after. We were able to complete it on Hard, at least. The key is to keep two people on each circuit breaker in order to prevent interruption, but a lot of randoms like to turtle so that becomes more difficult than it should be.

Anyways I unlocked my saw and I love it. Deposit boxes ain't shit.

See, you can stealth Day 3 of Framing Frame--it just takes about forty minutes to do it. There appear to be either five or six guards on the map. Just wait for them all to come upstairs. Have a ghost and a mastermind. People won't notice a subdued guard, so you can intimidate one guy and get him to cuff himself (man, I really miss being able to do this and it completely sucks that they made it a Mastermind-only skill), then just have the ghost knock people out/bag them/take them back up to where you started so the guy on the cameras has a couch to sit on.

Stealth isn't satisfying from a reward perspective (but this game has weird and random values for rewards in general). Night Club/Ukranian Job/Watch Dogs are the best ways to power level. Night Club takes about ten minutes stealthed. Ukranian Job's about the same. Watch Dogs takes... I dunno, probably twenty minutes and gives ~300k on Overkill+Pro at my current level, if I remember right.

It's possible to stealth MOST of Big Oil--just sneak up to the house, then burst in and get all three tables before they get set on fire (autoshotgun does wonders for this). But the payout is pathetic. Firestarter sucks because the game's health system doesn't facilitate movement and is better for hunkering down and just waiting for assault waves to end, so getting to those guns with the dozen or so gangsters walking around is a huge pain. I have yet to stealth it; not sure if it's even possible, though I'm assuming it is.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Re-using the bank and jewelry store is probably my only real complaint, it's just lazy. They could have just taken the bank from the first game and cut it down a little.

Spoo

Got my first Infamous mask. Feels good :D Level 56 and loving the game still, but some of the missions are starting to wear thin.

DocSeuss

There are levels other than jewelry store and bank? Could have fooled me.

Big Oil (2 days)
Firestarter (3 days, bank is final day)
Jewelry Store (Ukranian Job)
Rats (3 days)
Four Stores
Watchdogs (2 days)
Nightclub
Framing Frame (3 days)
Bank Heist (Deposit, Gold, Regular)
Mallcrashers
Safe House (y'know, your safe house)

That's 26 distinct maps by my count, going off the beta logic that "seven heists" includes Safe House/Bank Heist/Bank Heist Deposit as three of the four heists.

Not 30 maps.

Only 14 heists, not 17.

So, um, maybe we're missing one two-day mission and two one-day missions.

StayDead

So is the PC version of this game worth $30?

Well it'll be the definitive version so if you want the game I'd get the PC version unless you specifically have a reason to play the PS3 one (maybe all your friends already have it or you have a really bad PC or something).

I got gifted a copy of this last night by a friend, was so happy :>
I liked the first one, but didn't have the money to buy this right now so was going to wait for a steam sale and bam, I'm playing it.
The install sure took a while though :/

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
It's been suggested the developers are working on a patch to add a lot of content, including Cloakeds, Safehouse customization, and new heists. Those two were confirmed before release and recently reconfirmed to be coming soon in a patch, and like those abilities, several heists have also been promised and some were shown a bit pre-release (Cinderlla, Welcome to the Jungle, Turf War, etc.)

squared

Last night I realized Jewelry Store on Overkill takes 40-45s if you grab all bags from the store, and it doesn't set off any alarms/cops either.

"We know" I hear you saying, but last night we did three times without a problem, so then it became perfectly clear to me that it works :)

Card Boy

Banned
Last night I realized Jewelry Store on Overkill takes 40-45s if you grab all bags from the store, and it doesn't set off any alarms/cops either.

"We know" I hear you saying, but last night we did three times without a problem, so then it became perfectly clear to me that it works :)

The record i got before with 3 other randoms was 50 seconds. I was getting 2 level ups a run. I'm now level 27 and am getting 1.5 levels a run. Jammer makes it easier.

squared

The record i got before with 3 other randoms was 50 seconds. I was getting 2 level ups a run. I'm now level 27 and am getting 1.5 levels a run. Jammer makes it easier.

Yeah, we all had the skill that allows you to throw the loot bags further, so we threw them from the entrance to the car and piled them up there first, and one guy filled the car up as we went. I think the record was 42 or 43 seconds.

Card Boy

Banned
Here are my PC centric suggestions i came up with and i hope to see them in game.

• Add the Splinter Cell mofos
  • Add Safehouse customization
  • Game needs a Anti-Alising option
  • FOV slider needs to display the degree of FOV
  • Game should have the video colour gradients from Payday 1 (eg. Dinero, Payday+, Bhd)
  • Need the ability to draw on maps in the planning phase to plan heists in more detail
  • Need to ability to manually select difficulty and heist like from Payday 1 instead of having to wait for the right job to show up in Crime.net
  • I would love a survival (Horde) mode aswell as a Versus mode.
  • Lootbag items shouldn't be sellable and the mask shouldn't take a mask slot
  • Steam overlay needs to be fixed
  • Owners of Payday 1 should get a special mask.
  • Career Criminal Edition owners should get more, its basically a soundtrack and PDF at this stage
  • Allow team members to buy assets but have to be approved by the game leader
  • Game should have challenges like from Payday 1 that give out rewards. Maybe add daily, weekly, month challenges aswell.
  • Would be cool if the game had a optional Halo 'Skull' system where you add modifiers to make the game even difficult or for mixing heists up.
  • There should be a full stealth/no alert bonus for Heist
  • Game needs a chat wheel to do simple voice commands like L4D but Payday style (eg. 'Move', 'go', 'pick up x item', 'move quietly', 'guard', 'camera' etc)
  • Trading masks and items would be cool
  • Split screen multiplayer on 1 computer.
  • LAN support

The hunting shotgun seems a bit too powerful from the small time I used it, I'm piling up on shotgun buffs in the enforcer tree though so maybe that's intended. Anybody tried it without the buffs ?

Oreoleo

Re-using the bank and jewelry store is probably my only real complaint, it's just lazy. They could have just taken the bank from the first game and cut it down a little.

I don't even mind they reused the new bank, I just do not understand why they didn't reuse some of the other levels from different heists like the FBI building or the apartment complex from rats. Those two maps are quite big and you do basically nothing on them, particularly the FBI building where both drills are in the same corner closet so you turtle the whole map in one area. Seems like a waste of assets.

We could have twice the number of heists without any new areas if they would just mix it up a little. For example, a heist that starts at the docks of watchdogs waiting for a drop off, next level is the mall/nightclub/4 stores where you have to fence the stuff with civs around and then the 3rd day could be the FBI office to destroy evidence if you messed up day 2, or the house from framing frame day 3 if you didn't mess up day 2 to re-steal the stuff you fenced. If there were another half dozen multi-day heists like this using the same levels I feel like less people would be underwhelmed with the games' content. I know I would be.

Edit: or to a different end, why didn't they give more areas like the FBI office it's own 1-day job? We'd have twice as many missions if they did that alone with the rats/framing frame/ big oil maps

Spat_triate

Crimenet was a bad design choice. I shouldn't have to wade through dozens of randomly assigned heists to find the right one. At the very least, they should add more filtering options.

See, you can stealth Day 3 of Framing Frame--it just takes about forty minutes to do it. There appear to be either five or six guards on the map. Just wait for them all to come upstairs. Have a ghost and a mastermind. People won't notice a subdued guard, so you can intimidate one guy and get him to cuff himself (man, I really miss being able to do this and it completely sucks that they made it a Mastermind-only skill), then just have the ghost knock people out/bag them/take them back up to where you started so the guy on the cameras has a couch to sit on.

Stealth isn't satisfying from a reward perspective (but this game has weird and random values for rewards in general). Night Club/Ukranian Job/Watch Dogs are the best ways to power level. Night Club takes about ten minutes stealthed. Ukranian Job's about the same. Watch Dogs takes... I dunno, probably twenty minutes and gives ~300k on Overkill+Pro at my current level, if I remember right.

It's possible to stealth MOST of Big Oil--just sneak up to the house, then burst in and get all three tables before they get set on fire (autoshotgun does wonders for this). But the payout is pathetic. Firestarter sucks because the game's health system doesn't facilitate movement and is better for hunkering down and just waiting for assault waves to end, so getting to those guns with the dozen or so gangsters walking around is a huge pain. I have yet to stealth it; not sure if it's even possible, though I'm assuming it is.
I've actually had great success with Firestarter on Very Hard. Just make sure someone has a Saw for all three days. The first day is really easy at this point because we throw the bags against the wall closest to the extraction, then sprint outside and collect the bags through the wall from the outside (the bags are extremely heavy so taking the bags out safely through the front of the hanger becomes an ordeal). Second day, the saw helps with the first two doors, but you still need a drill for the third. There's also an evidence room that sometimes has drugs/money in it, which the saw helps in opening as well. Third day is self explanatory: clean out the deposit boxes.

30 minutes of work for about ~600k if you do it correctly.

As for Stealthing it, I think it's the same deal as Rats: you'll get caught eventually, no matter what.

panda21

Like so many others can't join one game on the PS3.

Annoying,,,,,,very annoying,

is this working on PS3 at all? I just got it and I can't join a game because they are just all immediately full.

Is there some kind of matchmaking that will just throw you into a game?

its really annoying trying to move the cursor over the games before they disappear (most of them are gone within a second or two)

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
The hunting shotgun seems a bit too powerful from the small time I used it, I'm piling up on shotgun buffs in the enforcer tree though so maybe that's intended. Anybody tried it without the buffs ?

I am specced as a ghost and I can one shot everything from even moderate distances on overkill including superheavy FBIs and tasers.

They'd better not take this away from me. :(

Akira_83

Banned
I LOVED the concept of Payday the Heist, the music, level design etc etc

And i love Left 4 Dead style games

but Payday just got too crazy for me IMO. Like in Left 4 Dead it made sense to have hundreds and hundreds of zombies flooding the screen because they are infected and mindless and if most people were infected well there would be a lot of them

but in what world is there literally 200 cops and swat that just mindlessly run towards you and attack in huge waves

i understand you gotta have some action but still

id rather fight against a much smarter and better programmed AI police force that use tactics and require more skill, than hundreds of brainless grunts who flood attack you

is Payday 2 any better in that regard? is Payday 2 more friendly to stealth, tactics and planning?

but Payday just got too crazy for me IMO. Like in Left 4 Dead it made sense to have hundreds and hundreds of zombies flooding the screen because they are infected and mindless and if most people were infected well there would be a lot of them

but in what world is there literally 200 cops and swat that just mindlessly run towards you and attack in huge waves

id rather fight against a much smarter and better programmed AI police force that use tactics and require more skill, than hundreds of brainless grunts who flood attack you

is Payday 2 any better in that regard? is Payday 2 more friendly to stealth, tactics and planning?

It's more friendly to stealth in that in a fair few of the missions you can go in to the bank, make some cops surrender, maybe kill a few of the others reply to their pagers and then make all the civs surrender and cable tie them. Then silently infiltrate the safe and get away. But if you are caught, waves of lots and lots of cops will come.

theRizzle

In what world are you fighting through waves of zombies? A fantasy one, just like Payday.

This doesn't sound like the game for you.

Top Bottom