• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Payday 2 |OT| See you at the safe house.

Money stops being an issue after a while. Instead the skill points start taking forever.

Got over a million for doing Bank Heist Overkill. Turns out it's pretty good to have a saw on that one.

My current build is dabbling a bit into all trees. Basically can zip tie a bunch, move and loot efficiently, drop two ammo bags, bag corpses and drill better. Also got a sentry gun cause I wanted to. Maxed out those things can wreck shit.
Is there a way to "sell" skills without starting from lvl 0? I went full Enforcer (basically to get the saw) but now am realising I really like the stealth stuff, but don't have enough lvls left to shape it out as I wish.

Also I don't get ypur problems with random people. Most of the time I join a server/someone comas at my server the first question is "stealth?" and everyone agrees. May be local differences (I'm in Germany)?

You just hit respec and respend points wherever. It will set back your cash reserve though. You only get refunded like a fifth or something of what you spent.
Most games where explicit directions haven't been given, everyone starts out trying to stealth, inevitably something goes wrong. So easy to mess up.

What system are you on? The team I most often play with are MM/Ghost, MM/Ghost, Enforcer/Tech. The last guy is pretty low level, so we get a lot of drilling :) I'm working towards safecracking myself.

PC. I've seen people getting kicked for not having C4, which is just sad. Especially because it means the host or someone else doesn't have C4 themselves and wants to ride on the coattails of someone who does instead of using their own skill choices to play the game normally.

Card Boy

Banned
Notes for the lazy

Update 5 is upon us! PAYDAY 2 is about to get its biggest update as of yet! It's 1.4 GB of good stuff. The big things are Crime.net tweaks, bags being better and we should now have less Steam disconnects.

Changelog for Update #5 - 20130822

Gameplay
We got word from Bain that the Washington PD is really stepping up their car chase unit - keep an extra eye out in the back mirror heading out of your heists
Bags - you no longer can grab them through walls, fences and such - the easy days are gone!
Revives - gone are the days of reviving your team mate through walls - man up!
Your loot bags now show up in a growing pile in your escape car or chopper

Skills
Updated several skill descriptions
ECM jammers can now be used to open ATM machines
Tweaked ECM feedback potency
Silent Killer is buffed
Silent Drilling - Lower the drill sound effect volume when skill is activated
Chameleon skill description text is now updated and more descriptive
Drill Sergeant BASIC and ACE bonuses increased
Buffed Cable Guy ACE
Buffed converted cops damage
Buffed Underdog BASIC
Stockholm Syndrome - Civilians revive the player faster now

Saves
Fixed that the progress backup save language wasn't clear enough

HUD
HUD viewpoints no longer clips at the edges

Sound
Added beeping call sound for the pager call
Cranked up the volume on the ECM jammer
New Bain-lines added
Added new footsteps
We now stop weapon animations at mission end to prevent them from triggering sounds - for example, no more reload sound from shotgun in mission end screen

Weapons
Fixed pistols (some of them) not using "aiming sensitivity"

Crime.net & Menu
Crime.net filters! Finally! More filter options in crimenet. Pick difficulty, server numbers, new (1 player in) and old (2-3 players in) servers
XP tweaks to 1 day jobs vs 3 day jobs, it is now much more worth doing 2-3 day jobs

Prevent terminate contract option if signed out (server in failed/disconnected state)
Fixed a crash when host sign-out and sign-in during loading
Fixed support for ultra widescreen / eyefinity
Magically fixed controller for Ingame manual

Enemies
Enemies will now be highlighted when they are behind glass, while player is looking through cameras, and the "box" marking heads of enemies will work through glass
Gangsters can be highlighted during sneak phase
Tweaked enemy surrender chances
Sniper shoots less often but packs more punch
Taser has more health and is a bit more sadistic
Bulldozer has now a higher damage tolerance, and is more evil
Taser volume cranked up
Converted guards on players side don't try to sneak off a call for backup

Animations
Fix on saw melee

Network
Fixed a Steam disconnect issue caused by slow harddrives stalling the network thread
Optimize the network code for less waiting

Mallcrashers Job
Lots of new art for the mall such as lamps, barrista furniture and more
New asset icons for mallcrasher gas cans are in.
Blocked off a place where the player could get stuck if he really wanted to inspect certain gym equipment from... interesting angles
Fixed a wonky door on Mallcrasher
Made the AI move around better on the map
Removed the small rooms with the gas cans - reviewers really wanted this

Framing Frame Job - Train Trade
Fixed issues where bags wouldn't count when traded in the Train Trade
Bag collision on roof of train fixed
Fixed collision in the secret tunnels
Removed a floating stone! :)

Ukranian Job
Safes that would spawn inside of walls have been removed

Bank Jobs
Moved the ATM machines in the lobby a bit so they don't intersect
Thermal drill now gets Technician bonuses for speed, alert radius and fixing itself

Framing Frame Job
Fixed disappearing environment on the roof on the penthouse
Fixed a light bug
Fixed some rare objectives bug

Four Stores Job
ATM machines now have a random chance on appearing
Changed civilian animations so that there no longer are stonecold civilians during assaults

Rats Job - Trade
Fixed a crash related to the client drop-in joining and crashing after a couple of seconds

Art - Miscellaneous
Made glass double sided on player van
Added window damage on on office dividers with glass in them

Escapes
Added Park Escape in daytime and Cafe Escape in daytime for better variety
Removed some flying bushes on the Park Escape

Watchdogs Job - Truck load
Fixed a gate that reacted in a strange way when C4 was used
Fixed an issue where bags could be thrown in unreachable places

Firestarter Job - Day 1
Fixed so cameras stop beeping after the alarm goes off

Firestarter Job - Day 2
Fix for cuffed guard that is not detected as suspicious activity
Fixed breakable glass in the server room

Safe house
Fix for one secondary slot missing in weapons rack

And now... we continue :) Have fun guys!

The Crime.net filters are the real megaton.

HoosTrax

Notes for the lazy

The Crime.net filters are the real megaton.
Still no way of filtering for specific missions? And why bother having Crime.net at all for Offline mode -- just let us pick the exact mission and difficulty.

Baby steps...sigh...

_RT_

Well... Unless I find some peeps to play with occasionally, I'll be parting ways with this game.
Everytime I join randoms, it's like a Call of Duty game. Run and gun.

Hoping to find some people that are ok taking some time and doing it right.

Still very new to the game, but do I have a mic.

PS3: RT_Boston
Online now.

Please. I'm begging. lol

zkylon

zkylewd
wow that's a pretty fucking serious patch

no more bags/revives/ammo through walls is huge
ecm jammers being a lvl1 atm thing is a good idea
filters are great, awesome of them of adding them so fast

great patch

I'll miss the bags through walls exploit, really made some missions a shit ton more easy

didn't know you had this

how is it that I don't have you on steam

Well... Unless I find some peeps to play with occasionally, I'll be parting ways with this game.
Everytime I join randoms, it's like a Call of Duty game. Run and gun.

Hoping to find some people that are ok taking some time and doing it right.

Still very new to the game, but do I have a mic.

PS3: RT_Boston
Online now.

Please. I'm begging. lol

You can add me if you want, I always try to do things without triggering alarms or alerting anyone...at least as much as possible. It makes things so much easier if you at least try to get through half the heist before things go to shit lol.

FACE

Banned
wow that's a pretty fucking serious patch

no more bags/revives/ammo through walls is huge
ecm jammers being a lvl1 atm thing is a good idea
filters are great, awesome of them of adding them so fast

great patch

I'll miss the bags through walls exploit, really made some missions a shit ton more easy

didn't know you had this

how is it that I don't have you on steam

I got it for free from a very nice person :)

I've just added you :)

Bags - you no longer can grab them through walls, fences and such - the easy days are gone!
Revives - gone are the days of reviving your team mate through walls - man up
baseball-player-fuck-gif.gif

That looks like a pretty decent patch.

Would you guys recommend the game in its current state or are there still some real dealbreakers around?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

Would you guys recommend the game in its current state or are there still some real dealbreakers around?

On PC I'd recommend it. It seems the consoles have more complaint. PC is also easier to patch.

Oreoleo

great patch

Nah, it was too easily abusable and basically broke missions like Firestarter day 1. I never thought they'd get rid of it so I am quite happy.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I'm actually happy they added a lot of difficulty patches to make the game far less abusable and overall more difficult.

zkylon

zkylewd

as it is right now, wait for a while

hopefully a few more heists will get added and the game will be well worth the asking price

Nah, it was too easily abusable and basically broke missions like Firestarter day 1. I never thought they'd get rid of it so I am quite happy.
yeah I agree, but still, game's difficulty just got ramped up really high

Daigoro

I'm up to about level 24 now. been having fun with the game the last few days once I started getting the hang of it. game is still ugly as shit on 360.

going mostly mastermind for now with a little enforcer.

so what's the deal with the safe room? it's completely pointless at the moment right? is there a plan for it? seems dumb.

DocSeuss

as it is right now, wait for a while

hopefully a few more heists will get added and the game will be well worth the asking price

yeah I agree, but still, game's difficulty just got ramped up really high

Payday 2 just seems to boil down to "find one place to hide, shoot a bunch of guys, move in the thirty seconds between waves."

I played some more today... and yeah. The fact that I was THRILLED to switch over to the original Payday seems like a huge problem to me.

I finally noticed the cash pile in your safe house vault gets larger the more spending cash you have. I always thought it was tied to the offshore account number before I noticed it increasing a lot the more and more spending cash I acquired.

web01

Wow that is an interesting back flip on not allowing revives and bag use through walls.
Will completely change the game play balance.

In the first game the also debated removing it but decided to leave it in as it helped even the odds on the higher difficulties. Though seeing as Payday 2 is a bit easier I am not against removing this exploit.

O.DOGG

They need to fix the Inspire skill. I keep failing my team because it glitches in the worst possible moments during the most intense firefights. I got downed today because of that too. So mad.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Payday 2 just seems to boil down to "find one place to hide, shoot a bunch of guys, move in the thirty seconds between waves."

I played some more today... and yeah. The fact that I was THRILLED to switch over to the original Payday seems like a huge problem to me.

Payday 1 had a lot of camp as well. And if you have multiple drills or objectives running at the same time, youll have to move. Or missions like Rats 3, Firestarter 1 or Watchdogs 1 require you to move bags around that youll pretty much have to do in a firefight.

zkylon

zkylewd

hmm, well, the first game had a lot of similar issues, but I think I enjoyed the mission design more, levels were larger and you had to walk more, and they felt less formulaic

I'm hoping they'll port some of them to payday 2

Raptomex

They need to remove the whole cards thing. Why can't we just buy our items? But overall I love this game and find it to be a big improvement over the first one. Though, I do think the first game had some better heists.

So about the Patch :

I hate it that you have to escape when you do Stealth Runs on 1 Days Missions. That is my only complain. I understand that you have to escape if the police detects you but not if you have done it in stealth.

The rest is okay. Mastermind got a small buff (But the class needs more buffs. Its the only class without getting items to open safes etc).

Now they have to delete those Cash Cards (They become useless after a while). And add at least ONE 5-7 Days job. And everyone should be happy.

hmm, well, the first game had a lot of similar issues, but I think I enjoyed the mission design more, levels were larger and you had to walk more, and they felt less formulaic

First World Bank will be in Payday 2. Some newspapers say they reopened it.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
So about the Patch :

I hate it that you have to escape when you do Stealth Runs on 1 Days Missions. That is my only complain. I understand that you have to escape if the police detects you but not if you have done it in stealth.

The rest is okay. Mastermind got a small buff (But the class needs more buffs. Its the only class without getting items to open safes etc).

Now they have to delete those Cash Cards (They become useless after a while). And add at least ONE 5-7 Days job. And everyone should be happy.

Either delete cash or make it so that all the days of a mission have card drops. Hard enough getting the mask customizations or weapon mods you want. Also I thought stealthing the mission made it so you didnt get a chase? At least you dont in the multiday missions and you also wont get set up by the cops.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Either delete cash or make it so that all the days of a mission have card drops. Hard enough getting the mask customizations or weapon mods you want. Also I thought stealthing the mission made it so you didnt get a chase? At least you dont in the multiday missions and you also wont get set up by the cops.

I believe that is the case.

PC. I've seen people getting kicked for not having C4, which is just sad. Especially because it means the host or someone else doesn't have C4 themselves and wants to ride on the coattails of someone who does instead of using their own skill choices to play the game normally.

Really? That's pretty low.

DocSeuss

First game wasn't quite like that at all. I'm going to quote something I've been working on regarding the game to explain:

Simple example?

Here's a 'complex' Payday 2 level (the most-used map in the game, in fact--it's used in five different missions), Bank Heist:

Get drill > drill vault > get loot > take loot to van

This can be slightly more complex if you do it on stealth:

Wait for the three guards/manager to move to a quiet spot and subdue them > take out guard in security room > Get drill > drill vault > get loot > take loot to van

Here's Mercy Hospital from Payday: The Heist:

Take out security cameras > subdue patients > answer phone > subdue maintenance guy > find file > subdue guard > place fake sentries to subdue patients > wear disguise > fake it as doctors until you find the guy in quarantine > snip the wire leading to the guy's room > take hostages/subdue guards > get blood/test it > call elevator > turn power back on (multiple times as enemies shut it off) > get in elevator > open door > escape

As you can see, there are a lot more steps in a heist from the original game. Not always, mind you--take Diamond Heist, for instance:

Place all three tablets > get to the vault > get diamonds > get to helicopter and escape

Except... well, there are many ways this can go wrong or change on you. The codes to the vault might be wrong, and you might have to find and interrogate the CFO. He might not have the codes, at which point, you'll have to find Ralph. If the red diamond spawns, you'll have to return and get the bolt cutter. Oh, and did I mention that the map has 10 sapphires to find that get locked up as soon as you get found by security guards? Additionally, if you haven't placed all the tablets and the security guards find you, you'll have to plant those tablets and let them run through the heist.

Furthermore:

1. The health system's been changed drastically; today, I was playing with a friend, and I dashed from the alley to the street, tossed in a bag of jewelry, and took cover behind the van. Despite wearing the second-best armor in the game (the best is Enforcer-only), I'd taken just two hits before losing all of my armor and most of my health. It wasn't from a shotgunner nearby, nor was it from a sniper. Both I and my friend noted this.

This happens a lot. I've literally gotten rezzed, walked around a corner, and been downed immediately, all while wearing a flak jacket. Go back to Payday. Notice how much more forgiving it is in regards to health. Payday is about movement and area control. Payday 2's about sitting tight and shooting dudes.

I think it's because Payday 2 was intended to be "The Dark Souls of Shooters" and as such, they wanted to kill the players a lot.

2. The movement system's been changed a lot. You can't run in all directions. You have to carry bags. You now have stamina. Armor slows you down. This can be a big problem when you, the player, are made of what seems like wet tissue paper. I've had assault waves start half way to the van from the middle of the bank vault--when I'm out there in the middle of the street, I'm basically screwed.

3. The level design's got a LOT more open areas. Basically every final leg of a mission (while under fire) involves crossing a street to get to the van. There's no way to take cover. Contrast this with... well, almost all of Payday's missions, from FWB to Counterfeit to Mercy Hospital. You don't have to walk slowly through streets without cover (even Green Bridge and Heat Street, which are largely this type of gameplay, feature more cover--and those seem to be the least-liked missions of the original game).

The levels are also, as you pointed out, much smaller, and, like I said, much less complex.

Payday 2 isn't really a game about doing things or having plans go wrong or having to restrategize, like its predecessor (which is why PTH is one of the best co-op games there is), it's just a game about hiding and not getting shot.

So about the Patch :

Mastermind is the most powerful class in the game. wtf. They can command people to resurrect, rather than going out in cover to save them. They can take more hostages, slowing down assaults from enemies and making it easier to res people. They can get civilians to res them. They can convince cops to fight on their side. They can make cops cuff themselves. They can answer pagers without getting caught.

To stealth the game well, having a Mastermind working alongside a Ghost is a big deal.

Ghost is still weak, in part because the AI's so broken, they'll detect people you disable even though there's no way they could possibly have done so without x-ray vision. I've had cameras on the other side of the map/walls see me before.

If they're going to fix Mastermind, they need to make it so that if multiple people have the Mastermind perks, they can use them. As it stands, if two people are Masterminds, both with the same skill, only one can convince a cop to cuff himself, which is just weird. It's like the game was designed with the intention that people would only ever play with just four players with complementary skill trees, when, if, like me, you're playing with a dozen different people who all have different preferences. It sucks to play the game with two people of the same class, 'cause the game won't let you double up on some skills.

Plenty of other things could be tweaked as well: enemy types don't have as diverse silhouettes as they used to, for instance.

zkylon

zkylewd
blip blop .
that thing you quoted is a bit disingenous

bank heist vs first world bank isn't really much different. you get something, place something, defend your position, then rush to escape

and most missions work around that dynamic.

in heat street you defend the van as you burn it and then you press f a bunch at a guy to escape through a linear path

in panic room you wait for a bunch of saws and defend. you also place the c4 but it's not really that much of a different mechanic

in green bridge you wait for some drills, then yell at a dude

in slaughterhouse you wait for a drill, then you wait for your escape.

etc

diamond heist is the exception in the release maps, and the dlc+no mercy were post-launch and the most complex maps in the game (counterfeit and undercover are fantastic, don't care so much for no mercy personally) and unfortunately better than the ones we got in payday 2

the thing about payday 1 is that it presented missions in a way that it felt a lot less formulaic. a ton of them forced you to move forward a lot more than in payday 2 (green bridge, slaughterhouse, heat street). the escapes also felt more distinct (going through sewers in panic room and through an office buildings in fwb), the "hostage" thing of yelling at a dude, etc. made the game feel varied and each mission distinct.

payday 2 missions follow a structure and are less move-y (you never have to go too far away from the heist location), but there's a bit of variety (rats and framing frame are encouraging that the mission design can be better) and the actual stuff you do is pretty much as payday 1, you go somewhere, press f, wait, kill cops, repeat

the health stuff you mention I don't really remember. I didn't enjoy payday 1 too much in overkill difficulty because it was basically impossible to do with randoms and very frustrating overall. payday 2 is kind of the opposite, basically all the difficulties but normal and overkill are the same. imo overkill is a bit easier than it should, but it's more enjoyable for me

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

I haven't even played Payday 1 and I can tell you are being wholly unfair! XD

You're happy to reduce PD2 levels to very basic simplicities and then go over PD1 levels in much more detail, even when they involve very similar things.

Look at an example:

You seperate encounters here...

Take out security cameras > subdue patients > answer phone > subdue maintenance guy > find file > subdue guard > place fake sentries to subdue patients > wear disguise > fake it as doctors until you find the guy in quarantine > snip the wire leading to the guy's room > take hostages/subdue guards > get blood/test it > call elevator > turn power back on (multiple times as enemies shut it off) > get in elevator > open door > escape

Then lump them altogether here:

Wait for the three guards/manager to move to a quiet spot and subdue them > take out guard in security room > Get drill > drill vault > get loot > take loot to van

...and you don't even mention crowd control, dealing with civilians on the street, having to stop the gas attack (if you don't stealth) or stopping the cashiers hitting the invisible alarm etc.

I'm not saying you are wrong about the mission variety, I just think the manner with which you have tried to compare them is quite biased. You can see that, right?

I really wish they would make it so each individual day had a card drop. I'm level 50 and I've only got a handful of weapon mods and masks but have a ton of patterns/colors. Then when I finally do get a mod, it's usually for a weapon I've not even bought nor will ever use, at least it's still this way on PS3.

I finally noticed the cash pile in your safe house vault gets larger the more spending cash you have. I always thought it was tied to the offshore account number before I noticed it increasing a lot the more and more spending cash I acquired.

Well if your spending cash increased, so did your offshore balance right? The safe house tutorial specifically mentions the vault contains your offshore balance but maybe it's bugged? Honestly I don't even understand the point of this offshore balance nor do I see the point of the game telling you in detail how much money you won't have to spend at the end of every mission.

There's so much talk of bags being pulled through walls to exploit missions but I've never actually seen it happening. I guess it's because I mostly play with a group of friends and we don't even know how we'd exploit this but even in pub games I haven't seen it at all. Then again, most of the pub games I see around my level (or generally level 40 onwards) are all interested in farming xp and cards instead of anything else.

I joined a Rats pub game and on day 1 the host told us to stay at the van and he'd quickly go to the meth lab to set it on fire because it was a faster way to get xp. On the last level (where you steal money from the bus) he told us just to kill the rats and not steal any money before getting back to the extraction point. I get that money becomes useless later on but if you're at the point where you're failing missions on purpose and leaving behind free money, then you've really lost sight of why you're even playing the game anymore.

elektrixx

Banned
I think this patch means the end of me playing this game. Spacing out long missions with short ones was how I got by. Now they're all long. Escape missions are pure boring shit designed to annoy the player.

The only way to get around it is to respec as Ghost and it's made the game worse. Cameras detect me through walls, civilians detect body bags through walls, the ECM jammer isn't clear on radius, poorly detecting whether I'm smashing a camera and guards warping location when I mask up. I'm level 53 and it was fun for a while, but not anymore.

Fuck this game.

Top Bottom