• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC-Age: Your midrange box awaits

lexi

Banned
This may be pipped at the post but as per suggestions and ideas from this thread I've decided to contribute my vision of the ultimate mid-range, no-fuss PC. With games like Crysis, UT3, Orange Box, SupCom: Forged Alliance, COD4, etc on the PC plane at the moment, there's never been a better time to invest in a decent rig, it may be cheaper then you think.

This build is a mid-range PC. Overclocking will not be factored in so we'll avoid getting E2180's etc. I've also opted to avoid X38 for the time being, this could be up for debate, but the primary benefits of X38 are DDR3 and PCIE 2.0 - none of which really add anything at the moment and it's a pretty expensive way to somewhat future-proof yourself. I've also decided to avoid SLI configs which at the moment I believe is limited to boards based on the nForce4 chipset, which I've had nothing but bad experiences with. The Intel P35 chipset has been kicking goals for sometime now.

A rudimentary knowledge of PC assembly is required here. It may seem daunting but it's really not as complicated as it may seem.

Mid-Range

Motherboard: ASUS P5K LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - $82.99
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E4400 Allendale 2.0GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E4400 - $129.99
RAM: OCZ SLI-Ready Edition 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) - $132.99
Video Card: EVGA 512-P3-N802-A1 GeForce 8800GT Superclocked 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - $289.99
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar SE WD5000AAJS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s - $99.99
DVD Burner: Pioneer 18X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model DVR-212DBK - $31.99
Case: Antec Performance One P180B - $129.99
Power Supply: Antec True Power Trio TP3-430 ATX12V 430W - $79.99

Total of $977.92

Ultra High-End:

Motherboard: ASUS P5K PREMIUM/WIFI-AP LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - $139.99
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Conroe 2.66GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor - $194.99
RAM: OCZ SLI-Ready Edition 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) - $132.99
Video Card: EVGA 512-P3-N802-A1 GeForce 8800GT Superclocked 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - $289.99
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar SE WD5000AAJS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s - $99.99
DVD Burner: Pioneer 18X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model DVR-212DBK - $31.99
Case: Antec Performance One P180B - $129.99
Power Supply: Antec True Power Trio TP3-430 ATX12V 430W - $79.99

Total of $1099.92

Add on a Samsung 226BW for $319.99 if you want a nice mid-range Widescreen monitor.

Assuming you don't intend on overclocking, couldn't you go one cheaper and opt for Kingston RAM? And I'd go for a slightly more expensive power supply, like the Corsair 530w.

lexi

Banned
Forgot to add that the case is really largely up to the buyer. I included that case to hit a price range of $1100. There's many cheaper cases around but you'll find many of them come with bundled PSU's - which as a rule of thumb are usually of fairly low quality manufactured by a company nobody's heard of.

Buying a higher quality case sans-power supply and then choosing your own power supply is often much more preferable.

Rimshot

Nice rig, but I would change that cpu to a intel quad core, they are awesome yet cheap enough (not too much price diff here in Sweden).

Just my opinion though.

lexi

Banned
MercuryLS said:
For that amount I could get all the current systems and a few games to boot.

*Tre signal lights in the sky*

Assuming you don't intend on overclocking, couldn't you go one cheaper and opt for Kingston RAM? And I'd go for a slightly more expensive power supply, like the Corsair 530w.

Sure. I only base my brand preferences on my personal experience with the brands I know work very well.

lexi

Banned
Rimshot said:
Nice rig, but I would change that cpu to a intel quad core, they are awesome yet cheap enough (not too much price diff here in Sweden).

Just my opinion though.

There's more bang per buck in the e6750 right now, especially considering most new games aren't programmed to make use of anything beyond dual-core. Up to the buyer, though.

Mamesj

Banned
Nice build. Basically the same as mine, but I've got a 965P-DS3 motherboard and soon-to-be-stepped-up 8800GTS 640mb. I'm hoping the new GTSes make it out on 12/3...that's the last day of my Evga step-up. If not, I'll get a GT 512mb.

The system owns everything I've thrown at it except Crysis, of course. The OPs build will do even better. :D

MercuryLS said:

yes, but this is a PC. If you're a human being living in modern times, which I'll assume you are, you'll use it for practically everything, along with high quality gaming with visuals surpassing the current consoles, in many cases.

careful

Pretty good system, but yeah, I would probably also cheap out a bit on the RAM and case.
This rig should be able to max out almost every game at 1600x1200 and a good bunch at 1920x1200 / 1080p.

MercuryLS said:
kaneclap.gif

Rimshot

lockii said:
There's more bang per buck in the e6750 right now, especially considering most new games aren't programmed to make use of anything beyond dual-core. Up to the buyer, though.

If you talk about gaming then yes, but I think that'll get added pretty soon. But for everything else, (ex encoding) you will have a happier life :)

AltogetherAndrews said:

That rig should come in way under 400 watts, so I don't see the point in a larger supply.

Does the case really need to cost as much as the RAM?

A good case can last you through quite a few upgrades and helps with everything from cooling to noise to aesthetics to what you can fit in the computer. I would never underbuy unless you have a real reason to.

I'd swap out the case for:

COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW Black Aluminum Bezel , SECC Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail - $44.99

I'd swap out the RAM for:

Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail - $89.99, ($49.99 after $40.00 Mail-In Rebate)

I'd swap out the HDD for:

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM - $104.99

I'd swap out the PSU for:

ENERMAX Liberty ELT500AWT ATX12V 500W Power Supply - Retail - $114.99, ($94.99 after $20.00 Mail-In Rebate)

Those substitutions save $158 w/ virtually no compromise in performance.

careful

Teknopathetic said:
While your heart is in the right place, that is definitely a notch or so above a "mid-range" box.
What is midrange nowadays? ~$1000 including monitor? Is it possible to build an 8800GT rig for that cheap? I would say midrange is around a thousand without monitor.

Roat

Banned
A few tips on this:

1) Don't cheap out on the power supply. It might seem like a great cheap alternative to go for that $15 generic 500W power supply, but chances are that it will come back and bite you in the ass later on. My second last upgrade I went with a cheap supply that came with the case. I got it home, put it together, a few hours later it blew. Got it replaced, the replacement blew out within an hour. Shelled out for an Antec and the system hasn't had a problem for three years. Your cheapout options are on the case, the size of the harddrive and the speed/brand of the RAM.

2) Only get 4+gb if you're going to use a 64 bit operating system, otherwise you won't be able to use all of it. This gets worse depending on how much video RAM your graphics card has also

3) Don't stick with one brand and one alone for life. Depending on the generation of hardware, sometimes Intel is better, sometimes AMD. Nvidia might be more bang for your buck, sometimes ATI

d[-_-]b

Banned
Mamesj said:
Nice build. Basically the same as mine, but I've got a 965P-DS3 motherboard and soon-to-be-stepped-up 8800GTS 640mb. I'm hoping the new GTSes make it out on 12/3...that's the last day of my Evga step-up. If not, I'll get a GT 512mb.

The system owns everything I've thrown at it except Crysis, of course. The OPs build will do even better. :D

yes, but this is a PC. If you're a human being living in modern times, which I'll assume you are, you'll use it for practically everything.
Ya the gigabyte mobos have been good to me, I mean my comp seems more midrange then this, 8800 does not fall anywhere in midrange for me, a college student.

GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard $94.99 (Jumped $5 from yesterday)
Intel Dual-Core E2180 Allendale 2.0GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E2180 - Retail $89.99
G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory $54.99
PNY VCG86512GXPB-OC GeForce 8600GT 512MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail $149.99
XION II XON-103 Black SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 450W Power Supply $64.99
Pioneer Black 18X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 10X DVD+R DL 18X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 40X CD-R 32X CD-RW 40X CD-ROM 2MB Cache E-IDE/ ATAPI DVD Burner - OEM $29.99
Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM $4.99
ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler - Retail $24.99
Only thing to worry about really is the PSU in my case, well I couldn't really afford a better one :(. my limit was $500 I ended up at $510 with shipping at ~$540

lexi

Banned
I'd say it's fairly mid-range. High-end is a quad-core intel, 8800 Ultra, X38 board, DDR3 ram, 1TB HDD, etc, which run at about $2200 easily.

"I'd swap out the RAM for:

Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail - $89.99, ($49.99 after $40.00 Mail-In Rebate)"

Yours is cheaper because he was buying 1066 ram since his board supports it. He can probably find cheaper 1066 ram but it's still gonna be more than 800. If he's starting fresh anyhow might as well spend the extra couple of bucks and get quicker ram.

"What is midrange nowadays? ~$1000 including monitor? Is it possible to build an 8800GT rig for that cheap? I would say midrange is around a thousand without monitor."

If his idea is near mine its about $750-$800 usually. Runs new games comfortably and the such, you want your games to look nice but don't need to be maxed out or anything.

Mashing

Seems to me you could serve to get a more powerful power supply. I'd look for about a 600 watt power supply. Modern video cards treat power supplies like their redheaded stepchild.

Edit: Roat said it better than me. You really want to get more than you need from a power supply. If you don't you risk fucking your shit up.

Is it possible to use my plasma TV for PC gaming? It doesn't have a VGA input. I'm hoping I can buy a video card with HDMI out and play at 720p.

d[-_-]b

Banned
lockii said:
I'd say it's fairly mid-range. High-end is a quad-core intel, 8800 Ultra, X38 board, DDR3 ram, 1TB HDD, etc, which run at about $2200 easily.
Like I said midrange, subjective :D. Like woah, 1100 isn't something I myself as a college student can see me dishing out easily.

Mamesj

Banned
Gotta agree this is really more upper-mid range. All you need is a GTX and quad core and bam, it's high end. I guess you could go 4gb DDR3, Vista 64-bit and all that, but there's high end and there's "why are you throwing your money in the incinerator" end.

brokenwatch said:
Is it possible to use my plasma TV for PC gaming? It doesn't have a VGA input. I'm hoping I can buy a video card with HDMI out and play at 720p.

get a DVI to HDMI cable. I've got my pc hooked to my Sharp Aquos LCD and it works nice.

Only problem is the 8800 series' pain in the ass overscan compensation for HDTVs. As in, it doesn't have any. You have download a reg hack from nvidia to enable it. That's my only qualm about my set up.

Pimpbaa

I'd recommend against OCZ ram. Twice I had to send ram back cause it was bad (the first time the replacement still wasn't perfect).

Roat

Banned
brokenwatch said:

Most videocards output in DVI so you can easily get a DVI->HDMI or whatever.

It's possible to game on it, but the resolution is annoying for browsing or using the computer.

You forgot the cost of the operating system software. That is unless you are going to obtain it by means not taught by a Jedi.

d[-_-]b

Banned
Illuminati said:
You forgot the cost of the operating system software. That is unless you are going to obtain it by means not taught by a Jedi.
Time to use Linux based OSes and all those other freeware OS.

Roat

Banned
Illuminati said:

Don't worry, we all use Linux here.

Seriously though, most people have a version of Windows hanging around somewhere one way or another. Let he who is without sin right?

lexi

Banned
If anything this debunks the myth of expensive computers, if this is 'high-end' it's only just over a grand!

OCZ gets very good feedback for the most part. I'd also recommend G.Skill and Corsair is also a staple, though don't dominate the field as they have in previous years.

The power supply is above fine. Let's stop this nonsense about 600watts. The only thing that matters is that you get enough amperage on the 12v rails, which the PSU I have listed does.

There's more than just the low-medium-high range regarding hardware buying. See: Difference between an 8800GTX and Ultra and then SLI configs. Also e6*00 -> Core 2 Quad -> Core 2 Extreme. Both of those lineups are on the higher end of things, but there's a night and day difference (in both performance and price) between an 8800GTX and SLI Ultras, likewise e6*00 and a Core 2 Extreme on an X38 motherboard.

Getting an 8800GT and e6*00 puts you pretty comfortably close to (if not) high-end, just not 3DMarks king-end.

calder

Illuminati said:
If I've learned anything from 'make your own PC' threads on the internet, it's that every single one of us has a spare keyboard, gaming mouse, monitor and OS sitting around doing nothing. ;)

d[-_-]b said:
Time to use Linux based OSes and all those other freeware OS.
Roat said:
Don't worry, we all use Linux here.

Seriously though, most people have a version of Windows hanging around somewhere one way or another. Let he who is without sin right?
Linux, we are talking about home gaming PCs here right?! ;-)

Actually I don't have any copies of Windows lying around anymore like I used to back in the day. I thought XP and I know Vista doesn't let you activate it on more then one PC.

"If I've learned anything from 'make your own PC' threads on the internet, it's that every single one of us has a spare keyboard, gaming mouse, monitor and OS sitting around doing nothing. ;)"

You don't?

"Actually I don't have any copies of Windows lying around anymore. I thought XP and I know Vista doesn't let you activate it on more then one PC."

No on XP (Pro, anyway), Vista OEM's are tied to a single motherboard, but retail copies aren't.

Mashing

calder said:
If I've learned anything from 'make your own PC' threads on the internet, it's that every single one of us has a spare keyboard, gaming mouse, monitor and OS sitting around doing nothing. ;)

Hehe, this is true. I've got enough crappy parts laying around to make alteast two more machines if I wanted.

I can also, legally, get my OS from work (work laptop).

d[-_-]b

Banned
Mashing said:
Hehe, this is true. I've got enough crappy parts laying around to make alteast two more machines if I wanted.

Same for me, atleast 1 copy from school of Win Xp and Vista.

Roat

Banned
Illuminati said:
Actually I don't have any copies of Windows lying around anymore like I used to back in the day. I thought XP and I know Vista doesn't let you activate it on more then one PC.

On XP you can install it on a few and then it locks out, and after that you can ring up support and get a new key to install it on another - I had to do this to install it on my laptop.

As for keyboards, I've got about 3 sitting around that don't work, all the unfortunate victims of liquid mishaps

Windows is easy enough to come by through rebate deals, upgrade deals and academic deals. At my Uni you could download most things that you wanted from Microsoft (Vista, XP, Office, etc.) for 'free'

Mashing said:
Seems to me you could serve to get a more powerful power supply. I'd look for about a 600 watt power supply. Modern video cards treat power supplies like their redheaded stepchild.

Edit: Roat said it better than me. You really want to get more than you need from a power supply. If you don't you risk fucking your shit up.

If we were talking about a $20 power supply I would agree, but this is ridiculous. I have looked at computers with Quad Cores, 4 gigs of RAM and an 8800GTX and seen them never go above 300 watts on a stress test. A quality 450 watt supply for $60 should be more than enough to run it, after that you are paying for efficiency, modularity and ridiculously overwattage that you will never use.

As far as having an OS goes, I have copies of Server 2003, XP Home, XP Business, XP 64, Vista Business, Vista Home and Vista Business 64 lying around as well as enough copies of Office 2003 and 2000 to put it on everything I could make. This is of course not counting all the linux distros I have. I think I also have a VM of Server 2000, but am not completely sure on that one.

I think I need a mac now...

SRG01

ToxicAdam said:
Does the case really need to cost as much as the RAM?

I have to agree. Why is the case $130 when a cheapo one would do?

My recommendations:

1) Switch your processor for the E4400.
2) Find a cheaper motherboard.
3) That seems a bit high for the 8800GT.

Yeah, there's absolutely no reason to buy a 6-7-1.5kw power supply unless you're doing some serious RAID configurations with SLI on your dual Xeon motherboard or something. I dunno. A quality 450-500w power supply is *more* than enough. Especially for the rig in the OP.

"My recommendations:

1) Switch your processor for the E4400.
2) Find a cheaper motherboard.
3) That seems a bit high for the 8800GT."

Almost agreed on all points.

The e4400 or even e4500 is a great midrange choice.
The abit IP35 or Gigabyte P35-DS3L?R? the 90$ one both seem to get very positive reviews.
However, the 8800GT is currently super stretched on supply. The prices got jacked up day one (Newegg "Shifted" the prices of some of the units up by 10-20-30$ after the first few sold out on the SAME DAY). You can order a stock clocked 8800GT direct from eVGA for like 259$, and that's on the low-ish end, but that's still more expensive than they should be.

600W power supply is more then enough for most people. But you have to get one depending on your parts and what you're looking for in the future in order to make it work efficiently.
6tpp20j.gif

Teknopathetic said:
No on XP (Pro, anyway), Vista OEM's are tied to a single motherboard, but retail copies aren't.
Roat said:
On XP you can install it on a few and then it locks out, and after that you can ring up support and get a new key to install it on another
Hmm I thought XP would not work period on a PC with a radically different hardware configuration then the original PC it was registered with and Vista was the same way.

d[-_-]b said:
Same for me, atleast 1 copy from school of Win Xp and Vista.
Mashing said:
Unfortunately I've been out of college for a few years so I pay for software legitly since I have a job and my work is a little anal with giving out software. Almost all the software is installed over the network. So pretty much my only option is to buy a $200+ OS if I build a PC.

Mashing

Hmmm, I suppose your right. Even though the video card reviews I've read are right around 300 watts. So that leaves 150 watts for all other devices. If you want to do RAID, you're pretty much fucked. It just doesn't leave you with many options for upgrading (without replacing the power supply).

Mashing said:
Hmmm, I suppose your right. Even though the video card reviews I've read are right around 300 watts. So that leaves 150 watts for all other devices. If you want to do RAID, you're pretty much fucked. It just doesn't leave you with many options for upgrading (without replacing the power supply).

Most video cards are <200watts. What you see in those reviews are them showing the power draw of the entire system, generally.

Mashing

NovemberMike said:
Most video cards are <200watts. What you see in those reviews are them showing the power draw of the entire system, generally.

I guess it would help if I read the article and not just google the information and look at a graph. My friend at work has apparently been overestimating as well as I was getting some of my information from him as well. This is good to know though, since I'm thinking about upgrading soon.

careful said:
Pretty good system, but yeah, I would probably also cheap out a bit on the RAM and case.
This rig should be able to max out almost every game at 1600x1200 and a good bunch at 1920x1200 / 1080p.

kaneclap.gif
people always forget games aren't the only thing computers are used for.

Top Bottom