• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Engine/TG Appreciation and Collecting Thread, Because who needs a 2nd controller?

Beyond lols at this.

Wonder Boy was kind of bad from the beginning, and Hudson's mediocre knockoffs are even worse than the original. It's amazing how much better Wonder Boy in Monster Land is than the original game!

But unless you can read Japanese, that vast RPG library is mostly unplayable.
This is mostly true for the traditional RPGs, but the action-RPGs are more playable in English... Cadash, Dungeon Explorer, Dungeon Explorer II, Neutopia, Neutopia II, Ys I+II, Ys III, Exile, and Exile II all got US releases, and Ys IV has a fully voiced fan translation as well. Xak III also have a text-only fan translation. There's also a (text) translation in the works for Legend of Xanadu II. And games like Efera & Jiliora and Xak I & II are quite playable in Japanese without too much trouble. Unfortunately Legend of Xanadu I is harder to play without knowing the language, so hopefully it gets a translation or guide someday!

vireland

But unless you can read Japanese, that vast RPG library is mostly unplayable.

Well, the PC-Engine is a Japanese machine, so that goes without saying. Still, the original post said "PC Engine is a slouch in is RPGs, and that's even including the Japanese releases." which is 100% wrong. That's what I was responding to.

vireland

How many of those can I play with no knowledge of Japanese?

I'm playing Dragon Slayer, and after that I'm gonna play Mysterious Song which was a Homebrew. I have Ys III, but want to play the I&II first.

You'll have a much easier time with the ARPGs with no knowledge of Japanese, but the traditional ones can be done, depending on your level of dedication. I played most of the PC-Engine RPGs with initially zero knowledge of Japanese and eventually a tiny smattering of recognition of key things like directions, colors, etc. But, I had a LOT more time way back when. It can be slow going.

Mzo

Wonder Boy was kind of bad from the beginning, and Hudson's mediocre knockoffs are even worse than the original. It's amazing how much better Wonder Boy in Monster Land is than the original game!

Wonder Boy is my favorite game series. I don't think Monster Land and the Monster World sequels can even be compared to Wonder Boy; they're just too different.

Hudson made Wonder Boy needlessly cruel in the NES port. The later games improve, but New Adventure Island is still on a totally different level. I never had a problem with the game type, and the aesthetics of the game are so much better than before.

The SNES game has that whole big sprite and really slow gameplay because of the underpowered processor thing that so many companies' games suffered from. It's OK at best.

Wonder Boy is my favorite game series. I don't think Monster Land and the Monster World sequels can even be compared to Wonder Boy; they're just too different.
Yeah, the Monster World games are actually good, unlike Wonder Boy.

Hudson made Wonder Boy needlessly cruel in the NES port. The later games improve,
Sure, they improve, but going from bad to not that great isn't much of an improvement. Adventure Island is one of those things where I've never been able to understand why people actually like the series. The first game in the series I can remember playing is the first Game Boy game, which I remember playing in '94 sometime. It's entirely possible I'd played an Adventure Island game before that, but I have a definite memory of playing that one and thinking that it was one of the least fun Game Boy games my friend owned, and I definitely didn't want it. My opinion of the series hasn't improved much since. The games are overly simplistic, annoying, and not much fun to play. The levels are either too long (Wonder Boy) or too short (Adventure Islands II and III (NES) / I and II (GB). The one-hit-death system is awful, and that skateboard gets lost too easily. Your weapons are not all good -- that axe often has an annoyingly short range, for instance, and it's easy to lose weapons. The games are frustrating and not fun, and don't feel well designed either. The dragons you can ride in the second and third games are kind of fun, but that's one of the only genuinely good things about the series...

But with a health bar, not having to collect an item for decent normal attacks, etc, the series got good -- I really like the Monster World games, and Monster Lair is great too, at least on Turbo CD. But the first game, and the Adventure Island series... ugh. Bad. Play JJ & Jeff instead -- it's kind of like Wonder Boy/Adventure Island, except with a health bar that helps make it a much more fun game to play, and some nice variety in the levels as well.

but New Adventure Island is still on a totally different level. I never had a problem with the game type, and the aesthetics of the game are so much better than before.

The SNES game has that whole big sprite and really slow gameplay because of the underpowered processor thing that so many companies' games suffered from. It's OK at best.
The SNES and TG16 games both abandon the one good idea the series had, the rideable dragons in the second and third games (aka the first and second GB games, which are based on them). They're quite similar games in a lot of ways, and go back to super-simplistic mid '80s style tedium. The SNES one has better graphics, while the TG16 one has slightly better gameplay, but sorry, I don't think either one is a good game at all.

Mzo

Yet they are fun to educated people who know about and love to play games. Like myself.

Now you know that opinions are subjective instead of straight right and wrong.

IrishNinja

also, you kinda have a theme of knocking games without life meters & super weapons...Wonder Boy in particular is made to have you learn the pacing of a level (hence the time meter & hidden/obvious fruits), and even once you get them down, you'll want to find the hidden dolls to open up the secret last level & real final boss (!), which was pretty awesome for its time.

like many of its era, it's definitely challenging but fair. i'm not as good at games overall as Mzo iis but i played it as a kid one summer and beat it, then nearly beat it with said dolls (mom caught it on pause while i was out & turned off the power...@#$%)...ABF it's fine to feel the way you do but these were very common features in game design from that time; you can simply say you don't enjoy like-ones without saying they're not good/terrible all the time man.

also, you kinda have a theme of knocking games without life meters & super weapons...Wonder Boy in particular is made to have you learn the pacing of a level (hence the time meter & hidden/obvious fruits), and even once you get them down, you'll want to find the hidden dolls to open up the secret last level & real final boss (!), which was pretty awesome for its time.

like many of its era, it's definitely challenging but fair. i'm not as good at games overall as Mzo iis but i played it as a kid one summer and beat it, then nearly beat it with said dolls (mom caught it on pause while i was out & turned off the power...@#$%)...ABF it's fine to feel the way you do but these were very common features in game design from that time; you can simply say you don't enjoy like-ones without saying they're not good/terrible all the time man.
I'm criticizing the Adventure Island series more so than I am the original Wonder Boy, you know. Sure, that stuff is more forgivable in 1986 than it is for a series that ran between 1991-1995, when AI II-IV on NES, I-II on GB, I-II on SNES, and NAI on TG16 all released. The times had changed, but except for the last two games, IV (NES) and II (SNES), the games didn't.

As for the rest of that, what I REALLY criticize a lot in platformers is ones that don't let you save your game. Every decent platformer should have saving, period! Yes, this is one of the major reasons why I like the NES a lot less than a lot of classic gamers, almost nothing has saving.

Wehrwolf

I wonder what a Supergrafx equipped with the Arcade Card would've been capable of...

My dream game would be Sapphire 2 for the Supergrafx Arcade Card CD.

Sapphire's not my favorite game or anything (though very good), its just for 'cool if it existed' factor.

Khaz

As for the rest of that, what I REALLY criticize a lot in platformers is ones that don't let you save your game. Every decent platformer should have saving, period! Yes, this is one of the major reasons why I like the NES a lot less than a lot of classic gamers, almost nothing has saving.

It's an arcade game. #dealwithit

D.Lo

I'm criticizing the Adventure Island series more so than I am the original Wonder Boy, you know. Sure, that stuff is more forgivable in 1986 than it is for a series that ran between 1991-1995, when AI II-IV on NES, I-II on GB, I-II on SNES, and NAI on TG16 all released. The times had changed, but except for the last two games, IV (NES) and II (SNES), the games didn't.

So what is it about them you don't like? The simple stage 1, stage 2 etc based progression (aka like Mario 1 not Mario 3)? Just a jump and shoot button? Less variety of power ups? And lack of saving?

I'm not a huge fan of the AI games or anything, but very few games reached the Mario World level of Sophistication. The most common format of the 16 bit era was basically the 8-bit Mario 1 format with bigger sprites, fancier graphics, and possibly some extra physics (eg SNES Tiny Toons). The later AI games are basically that too.

Has anyone played Sorcerian on PCE-CD? I've been considering picking it up given I'm a fan of the game on other platforms. I've checked youtube and it looks like it plays just like the PC versions.

Mercutio

Who said the 8bit versions were bad?

8 Bit Sonic 2 sucks, but Sonic 1 is totally awesome. Different teams made each 8 Bit Sonic, if I remember properly...

Also, I really LIKE Sapphire. Sapphire gets way too much hate because of the price, but I'm incredibly happy with what I paid for the reprint. It's a shooter I continually find myself coming back to, and it's super fun with a friend. Most shooters just don't have as much variety from stage to stage, and I adore the creativity and frequency of the boss fights. I think if it was a game anyone could get for $30, it'd be near the top of most "favorite" charts.

Celine

Also, I really LIKE Sapphire. Sapphire gets way too much hate because of the price, but I'm incredibly happy with what I paid for the reprint. It's a shooter I continually find myself coming back to, and it's super fun with a friend. Most shooters just don't have as much variety from stage to stage, and I adore the creativity and frequency of the boss fights. I think if it was a game anyone could get for $30, it'd be near the top of most "favorite" charts.
Totally agree!
Sapphire is overpriced, not overrated (it isn't the best shmups on PCE but seeing the competition on the system shouldn't be a surprise).

It's an arcade game. #dealwithit

Wonder Boy is, but the Adventure Island series from Hudson are all console-exclusive games. A few of the later ones do have saving -- the two games with RPG elements, the fourth NES game and the second SNES one, both do, and the two Game Boy games have saving as well (passwords for all but the second SNES game, but that's good enough), but the earlier ones don't.

And even though the two Game Boy games add password systems, the basic gameplay is the same flawed stuff I've never liked very much; the games are too simplistic, the level concepts too boring, the game too much about just running to the right. Run right, dodge or kill enemies, jump over pits and rocks, try to deal with the mediocre controls, and repeat. There's little variety. Adventure Island level designs just aren't often interesting, and the controls are skiddy. I don't like the weapons, either; not being able to defeat enemies unless you've collected a powerup is kind of annoying. I don't like the food system either, of course; it's kind of frustrating to see this "health bar" on the screen, that isn't a healthbar at all, just basically a timer that you extend by collecting fruit! Overall I just don't find the games particularly fun to play. There are much worse games out there, but there are also much better ones. The best Adventure Island games are average.

The Monster Lair healthbar is so much better. Touching foes still kills you, but enemy projectiles knock blocks off your healthbar, which is now an actual health bar and not just a food timer, though it is that as well. Monster Lair doesn't limit your attacks either, and has variety thanks to the shmup sections. And it probably has better controls too. That's a great game. Of course, so are most of the Monster World games. And even Wonder Boy is better than the Adventure Island series; as I said, at least that's a mid '80s arcade game, so the very simple design is understandable, even if I still don't have nearly as much fun with the game as I do any of Westone's Monster World/Lair games that followed it.

Bar81

Totally agree!
Sapphire is overpriced, not overrated (it isn't the best shmups on PCE but seeing the competition on the system shouldn't be a surprise).

It's overrated and overpriced (but then again not much isn't these days). Outside of the amazing visuals (for the time) it's a second tier shmup on the PC Engine.

Khaz

In Wonder Boy, the fruit bar is a health bar too. You lose health when stumbling upon rocks. If enemies had projectiles I'm sure they would behave that way too, but they don't (except for the bosses but it's a fireball anyway). Touching foes or fire is insta-death though.

8 Bit Sonic 2 sucks, but Sonic 1 is totally awesome. Different teams made each 8 Bit Sonic, if I remember properly...

Yeah, Sapphire is a fantastic game. It's certainly one of the better shmups on the system. It's not the very best one, but it's on the upper tier no question. It's really too bad that it's so expensive... and faked, so you don't even know if you're getting what you're paying for or not.

In Wonder Boy, the fruit bar is a health bar too. You lose health when stumbling upon rocks. If enemies had projectiles I'm sure they would behave that way too, but they don't (except for the bosses but it's a fireball anyway). Touching foes or fire is insta-death though.
Everything else kills you though, so that barely counts... but on that note, I understand the concept of the rocks, they're there to get in your way when you're on the skateboard, but they're a little annoying. But that's how the game goes, it's not that great. Obstacles are annoying, attacks too limited, food meter a pain at times, level designs too straightforward, etc.

On the note of the rocks, though, in Monster Lair they work the same way, but there's no skateboard so they're kind of pointless...

D.Lo

PCE gets top spot in my new gaming setup!

IMG_8588_zpsd49d9adc.jpg

D.Lo

It's an RX though? But then I'm sure they used the same for the R.

How's the RX 6 button pad? I found one for $60 and am tempted.

4+NoConsent

Neo Member
Just got my first Turbo Duo today (have a TG-16 from back in the day). What games should I pick up? I have the Turbo Duo version of Ys Book I and II. Was SF II ever released on the Duo? I seem to remember some comparison screens from an old EGM and it compared favorably to the SnES and Genesis versions.

Mzo

Very cool. I'd never heard of Riot Zone before!

Riot Zone is Final Fight if Cody had some sort of serious mobility handicap. I still think it's fun, but that's because I have an above-average tolerance for beat-'em-ups. Love 'em. Ups. No weapons kind of sucks. One of the weaker Westone games.

Gotsomedinner is here! Can't wait to try it out tonight!

Mercutio

Just got my first Turbo Duo today (have a TG-16 from back in the day). What games should I pick up? I have the Turbo Duo version of Ys Book I and II. Was SF II ever released on the Duo? I seem to remember some comparison screens from an old EGM and it compared favorably to the SnES and Genesis versions.

It was released, but only in Japan. It's not as good as the Super SNES versions. It's a cool oddity, but not really worth more than $10. Plus you need the 6 button pads or it is utterly unplayable.

Pick up Rondo of Blood. Expensive, but totally worth it. One of the best games of all time.

piggychan

I finally snagged a Duo R from ebay! Now that I'm broke what are some good, affordable games to start out with?

not sure on these prices anymore but I don't think they should be expensive..

Gate of Thunder
Winds of Thunder
Wonderboy III monster lair
Fighting Street

Gradius
salamander
detana twin bee !?
Parodius DA!
populour
gunhed
super star soldier
final soldier
soldier blade
dragon spirit
galaga 88
legend of hero tomna
ninja spirit
vigilante
image fight
populous
r-type I & II
space invaders plus
dungeon explorer
pc genjin
pc genjin 2
bomberman
bomberman'93
bomberman'94
lode runner
jackie chan
Devil Crush
splatterhouse

just to list a few....

IrishNinja

yeah that's a great list but some of those have shot up - Celine called it, it's up to what you consider expensive (especially if you don't want loose hucards/discs)

Mercutio

yeah that's a great list but some of those have shot up - Celine called it, it's up to what you consider expensive (especially if you don't want loose hucards/discs)

Bomberman 94 has doubled in price since I picked it up in the spring. I paid $10 with like, $2 shipping from Japan. Basically, if you like a game, get it now. Who knows where it'll be in a year or two.

Thanks, I have my eye on a few games on ebay (Salamander, Gomola Speed, Side Arms and Legendary Axe). I need some people to buy my stuff in the BST thread first though, lol.

Edit: How is the 1943 Kai port?

Bomberman 94 has doubled in price since I picked it up in the spring. I paid $10 with like, $2 shipping from Japan. Basically, if you like a game, get it now. Who knows where it'll be in a year or two.

If all goes according to plan we'll be able to retire off our fuckin game collections!

Finally got a Hori Fighting Commander. I had a $10 promo code off of $25 Paypal gave me for eBay, so it wound up being $28.00 shipped. Not amazing, but not terrible. Fair price.

I still have my eye on a three button Blaster pad. That looks like a comfortable one to use.

Finally got a Hori Fighting Commander. I had a $10 promo code off of $25 Paypal gave me for eBay, so it wound up being $28.00 shipped. Not amazing, but not terrible. Fair price.

I still have my eye on a three button Blaster pad. That looks like a comfortable one to use.
Son of a bitch. Did you just win that today? I got outbid on one that went for $32 about an hour ago.

Jamix012

Son of a bitch. Did you just win that today? I got outbid on one that went for $32 about an hour ago.

Haha, I was looking at that one too :(

Yes. I sniped it. This is awkward... ._.

Sorry! I remember I missed out on an auction a while back for a Fighting Commander, a Blaster pad, and a multitap for like $50 shipped. That would have been a good deal...

Top Bottom