• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Engine/TG Appreciation and Collecting Thread, Because who needs a 2nd controller?

piggychan

Thanks, I have my eye on a few games on ebay (Salamander, Gomola Speed, Side Arms and Legendary Axe). I need some people to buy my stuff in the BST thread first though, lol.

Edit: How is the 1943 Kai port?

You have your eye on some great choices there !!!!

again I don't know the price of these nowadays but the pc engine version is unique. The graphics are quite low res and slightly blocky but there is a remix mode. The saving grace for this game is the gameplay and the music!! It has fantastic sampled drums.

P1020296.jpg

You will find the pc engine sound quality especially on the chip tunes will vary from weak simple noise to amazing sampled stuff. Naxat soft had some great ones for their games. I think the same in house composers; Daisuke Morishima & Hisashi Matsushita who worked on 1943 kai also did music for : Coryoon, W-ring, PC Denjin

souce:

http://www.chrismcovell.com/texts/TopPCEMusic.html

piggychan

@ digita1alchemy

if you can afford it try hunting Magical Chase by Quest, It was released twice, the original and a re-release from PC engine FAN which has a white CD case. I got the original release.

The music to this I used to obsess over..
P1020298.jpg

Redbull is making a series of videos about video game music. In the episode linked below, at about 4 minutes in, Hitoshi Sakimoto (who worked on game soundtracks such as Final Fantasy XII) talks a bit about the Magical Chase soundtrack on pc engine.

http://www.redbull.com/us/en/music/stories/1331679377633/diggin-in-the-carts-episode-3

Also the pc engine version of Tatsujin is another unique port mostly because and this is subjective here that people including myself feel the music is superior to both the Megadrive and arcade versions. Gameplay wise it is tight and as tough as nails !! It is also very expensive...

http://youtu.be/_DJGdUsoEX0

Mercutio

@ digita1alchemy

if you can afford it try hunting Magical Chase by Quest, It was released twice, the original and a re-release from PC engine FAN which has a white CD case. I got the original release.

Also the pc engine version of Tatsujin is another unique port mostly because and this is subjective here that people including myself feel the music is superior to both the Megadrive and arcade versions. Gameplay wise it is tight and as tough as nails !! It is also very expensive...

http://youtu.be/_DJGdUsoEX0

Magical Chase's price really does make me quite sad. I played the game once long ago, and really loved it.

Now, man. I'll never swing a price like that.

Jamix012

Edit: You changed your post so whatever, I have no reason to keep this part.

The thing with magical chase is that I don't even understand its ridiculous price. It looks fun and was probably fairly scarce but it's gone way beyond even prices for those sorts of things.

I hate to be that guy again, but you're not supposed to openly admit piracy on this forum.

The thing with magical chase is that I don't even understand its ridiculous price. It looks fun and was probably fairly scarce but it's gone way beyond even prices for those sorts of things.

It's a bit of a stretch going directly from "I played the game once long ago, and really loved it." to openly admitting to piracy, isn't it?

One could have "played it once long ago" at a friend's house. Or borrowed it from someone. Or rented it.

I know I played a lot of C64 games at my nephew's house. Never owned one myself.

Jamix012

I've officially admitted to my jerk-itude and cleansed previous posts of it. I'd like to formally shake hands and thank you for the good Gamecube - SNES pad adapter suggestion.

It's no problem, I was also in the wrong and should have just left it be. I already sent you a PM, but I am sorry for causing such drama. I hope we can get back to some nice retro gaming discussion.

In that vein, I remember someone earlier in the thread asking for cheap game recommendations for their duo. While they're not masterpieces I've recently been enjoying the quirky "Quest" mode of Final Lap Twin and World Court Tennis. Neither of them are too expensive and are actually have pretty unique and fun RPG type modes where you have random encounter races or tennis matches (depending on the game.)

Mercutio

It's no problem, I was also in the wrong and should have just left it be. I already sent you a PM, but I am sorry for causing such drama. I hope we can get back to some nice retro gaming discussion.

In that vein, I remember someone earlier in the thread asking for cheap game recommendations for their duo. While they're not masterpieces I've recently been enjoying the quirky "Quest" mode of Final Lap Twin and World Court Tennis. Neither of them are too expensive and are actually have pretty unique and fun RPG type modes.

Final Lap Twin is SO STRANGE. But also amazing! It's such a shame my PCE is Japanese only right now... when I do end up adding a region switch, it's going to be first on the agenda.

Final Lap Twin sounds really interesting, I'll probably grab that. I was also looking at F1 Circus because I love top-down racing games. Championship Rally caught my eye too.

Magical Chase and Tatsujin are probably out of my reach for now, but I think I am going to hunt down a copy of 1943 Kai.

Mercutio

Final Lap Twin sounds really interesting, I'll probably grab that. I was also looking at F1 Circus because I love top-down racing games. Championship Rally caught my eye too.

Magical Chase and Tatsujin are probably out of my reach for now, but I think I am going to hunt down a copy of 1943 Kai.

Fortunately if you only want the music from Magical Chase, the audio CD is about $50 generally.

Having just bought Truxton (Western name for Tatsujin) on Mega Drive, I'd advise everyone on a budget to just get the MD version in stead. And you can buy the system alongside the game for less than a copy of the PC Engine game. :D

While the music may be superior on PC Engine (I have no ways to compare both directly, so I wouldn't know), the MD version will give you a great experience too.

Jamix012

Final Lap Twin is SO STRANGE. But also amazing! It's such a shame my PCE is Japanese only right now... when I do end up adding a region switch, it's going to be first on the agenda.

I am just a sucker for games that do something different, even if they're not 100% successful in execution.

I am wondering if anyone has experience with this thing:
http://www.tototek.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=23&products_id=57

It seems to imply it doesn't work as a 6 button controller, which just seems like a waste to me.

Dicer

Banned
I am just a sucker for games that do something different, even if they're not 100% successful in execution.

http://www.tototek.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=23&products_id=57

It seems to imply it doesn't work as a 6 button controller, which just seems like a waste to me.

It says street fighter II support, so I imagine that means 6 button, can't hurt to shoot the seller an email before buying though

Mercutio

What strikes me as really strange is that it uses the gigantic TG16 connector, not the smaller japanese PCE (and Turbo Duo) one. Street Fighter II never came out on TG16 here, so championing support is pretty strange. You'd have to get one of those converter cables?

http://www.tototek.com/pio/main1/SUBMENU/PARTS/LINKS/OS/pceclassicconverter.htm

They say that R1 becomes button III... but I guess you don't get IV V or VI? I don't see any mention of those. It wouldn't really be as useful as the NEC Avenue 3 button either, since you couldn't re-assign button III as Run or Select.

Jamix012

I keep winning Ebay auctions I don't expect to win for Hucards.
So far I've got loose hucards in the past week for
Final Lap Twin, Alien Crush, Ninja Spirit and 2 copies of Sonic Spike (lol)
+ a CIB copy of Military madness.All of this for about $65 total. While I'm happy with all the new games, I don't think I'd have bid on all of them if I actually expected to win all of them.

Jamix012

Yes I've already cleaned the pins, I need to open it and check inside.

Well...I know this is probably a stupid suggestion, but you know the TG16 isn't region free right? I'm sorry I can't offer any good advice. If you have one of the Doujin Dance TurboDuos have you made sure to flip the region switch?

D.Lo

Thanks guys but I know what I'm doing. Japanese game, non-region modded Japanese PCE.

I don't have another PCE to test it on but all other cards work.

I'm asking if anyone else has had experience opening and repairing an actual card.

Having just bought Truxton (Western name for Tatsujin) on Mega Drive, I'd advise everyone on a budget to just get the MD version in stead. And you can buy the system alongside the game for less than a copy of the PC Engine game. :D

While the music may be superior on PC Engine (I have no ways to compare both directly, so I wouldn't know), the MD version will give you a great experience too.

The Genesis version's easy mode! That is, it's playable by actual humans, if you put in a huge amount of time into memorizing every second of the brutally hard game. I love it, but the difficulty is extreme.

The Turbografx (PCE) version's the only version for the serious masochist, though. It makes the Genesis version look easy! This is one hard, HARD game, and entirely earns its name -- for those who don't know, the Japanese title for the game is Tatsujin, which means "Expert". TG16 Tatsujin requires Expert skills indeed. The graphics and music are slightly different, too, but the huge difficulty level spike is the biggest change. Well, other than the crazy price... know what you're getting into with this one.

piggychan

My Salamander card doesn't work.

Anyone ever fixed a card?

I heard a lot of salamander HUcards stop working.

Is it an off white screen you are getting when you switch on your console ?

I have had that happen a few times to to myself and I find that small amount of white spirit just rubbing it on the exposed connectors with cotton wool and then allowing it to dry before switching it back on brings it back to life..

Tatsujin PCE got that god-tier boxart tho

D.Lo

I heard a lot of salamander HUcards stop working.

Is it an off white screen you are getting when you switch on your console ?

I have had that happen a few times to to myself and I find that small amount of white spirit just rubbing it on the exposed connectors with cotton wool and then allowing it to dry before switching it back on brings it back to life..
No, black screen.

And I've very much cleaned it with alcohol, no help. And it used to work and has just been stored by me, in a good environment, likely not being played for 4 years.

Looks like I'm cracking it open. Maybe this weekend...

First try to boot the card via various degrees short of full insertion into the slot. Had a guy once with games that would only work if he did not insert them fully into his PC-Engine.

piggychan

No, black screen.

And I've very much cleaned it with alcohol, no help. And it used to work and has just been stored by me, in a good environment, likely not being played for 4 years.

Looks like I'm cracking it open. Maybe this weekend...

there is one other way.... it's last resort tho and not guaranteed to work..

but.. use a hot hair dryer on the connector ends to heat the blobs inside so they kind of reconnect.... I have never tried it only heard about it...

AT YOUR OWN RISK !!!!

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Local thrift shop had copies of Double Dungeons and Dragon Spirit CIB in decent condition (boxes are slightly bent but nothing that bad)... even though both games are mediocre, it's so rare you see CIB Turbo games out in the wild that I just had to pick 'em up.

Also who here has played Time Cruise? I rave and rave about that game, it's such a fun pinball title. Last weekend some friends came over, and I showed off the game - we took turns, and one of the girls who isn't a big gamer at all ended up kicking so much ass at it, unlocking all the (very unique and odd) bonus games, outscoring everyone... and that included the guy who has 5 pinball tables in his apartment and runs a local pinball/arcade enthusiast club. Very fun times... but anyways the game is a pinball title with a unique time travel theme - all the bonus games are set in a different time zone - one of them you are a caveman playing a 'golf' style game where you have to get the ball to the bottom of the screen by timing a meter up to navigate through the course - another of them you are hitting jellyfish and trilobytes for points - and another of them has you playing a Labyrinth-esque game on a space station. And the music is pretty rockin' too...

piggychan

Also who here has played Time Cruise? I rave and rave about that game, it's such a fun pinball title. Last weekend some friends came over, and I showed off the game - we took turns, and one of the girls who isn't a big gamer at all ended up kicking so much ass at it, unlocking all the (very unique and odd) bonus games, outscoring everyone... and that included the guy who has 5 pinball tables in his apartment and runs a local pinball/arcade enthusiast club. Very fun times... but anyways the game is a pinball title with a unique time travel theme - all the bonus games are set in a different time zone - one of them you are a caveman playing a 'golf' style game where you have to get the ball to the bottom of the screen by timing a meter up to navigate through the course - another of them you are hitting jellyfish and trilobytes for points - and another of them has you playing a Labyrinth-esque game on a space station. And the music is pretty rockin' too...

you know I would love to add time cruise to my collection but... and but, I have devil crash. I honestly think that is the king of pinball games on the pc engine. It is above time cruise and alien crush imo, I just love the look of everything and the sound that rocks from the humble pc engine's sound chip to the sampled sound fx.

CooP-TroN

Banned
Sorry to be a little of topic here, but I really can't find an answer anywhere else, and what better people to ask than you guys.

I recently purchased a core tg-16 system, with legendary axe 1+2, and everything worked fine in the store.
I got it home and hooked it up to my samsung 1080p hdtv, it works fine, but there is one problem.

There are black scrolling lines that run from bottom to top, kinda like old basic cable tv stations that weren't coming in all the way.
The cable itself sits kinda loosely in the jack, but I don't think that's it because it worked fine in the store on an old tube tv.

So can the tg just not display properly on hdtv's? Or is my cord bad?
I haven't came across any 3rd party tg rf/video cables, and originals are kinda hard to come by. If I'm not mistaken you can use nes rf cables with the tg, right?
So I guess the ultimate question is do I need a new cable, or is it just the tv?

I do have a CRT, but the contrast and color is beyond repair, but oddly the tg doesn't do the black lines on it.

Any help is really appreciated, I'm dying to play legendary axe lol.

The problem is with your TV. The PCE is known to put out a bit problematic sync signal and it is not dancing right with your TV.

Go buy yourself a cheap used tube TV, a SONY in a good shape, and play on that. Old systems look like twice tossed dog shit on LCD TV's anyway.

CooP-TroN

Banned
The problem is with your TV. The PCE is known to put out a bit problematic sync signal and it is not dancing right with your TV.

Go buy yourself a cheap used tube TV, a SONY in a good shape, and play on that. Old systems look like twice tossed dog shit on LCD TV's anyway.

Thanks a lot for the quick and simple reply man, really appreciate that. I was always going to pick one up, but have been pre occupied with buying games instead lol. I'll hit up the thrift store later today and let you guys know if it works or not.
Thanks again bro!!!:)

Yes, use authentic CRT for retro systems. They were intended for CRT, and it will look especially bad over RF.

If you can, get a TurboBooster for AV out to a CRT. Even a little 13" will look great that way.

Jamix012

I went and did it, I bought Neutopia 2. I love Zelda so hopefully this will be a treat. Is it important for me to have played the first one or can I just jump in with the 2nd straight away?

Jamix012

If you're concerned with picture quality, RGB mod is the way to go.

While this is the route I eventually chose, I can understand people not wanting to mod their console to keep it more "authentic." I tend to be ok not modding a console if it at least has an ok S-video connection.

Top Bottom