• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims Thread

TJP

I've got a 6.5 gig update queued for R3E right now. What kinda content are we looking at TJP?
November 15th Patch Notes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VapFnbQKqNE

Game:
  • Added new content for upcoming releases and competitions.
  • Unified Experiences and moved some of the experience specific settings to R3E.
  • Added “Depth of Field” visual effect. Active in TV cameras, Hood camera, Action cameras and Free Camera. CTRL-M enables a simple UI to adjust the blurring effects and focus position.
  • Shared Memory API overhaul, added various additional data and potential for backward compatibility starting this patch.
  • Added support for SimXperience Accuforce steering wheel.
  • Extended freedom of movement for the freecam and added two modes for it: “Attached to the car position and its rotation” and “Attached to the car position only”. Pressing the key bound to free cam will cycle through the three modes.
  • When under a slow-down penalty, collisions with the car are disabled.
  • When under a slow-down penalty, the amount of speed the player is still allowed to carry has been increased, but keep in mind you will be giving back any time gained at a slower rate by driving faster.
  • Fixed an issue where the ghost car was producing audio while waiting for the player’s car at the S/F line.
  • Fixed so compact data display shows fuel in gallons if mph/imperial units are selected.
  • Fixed replays missing the first 60 seconds of a race by pausing replay recording during garage phase.
  • Re-enabled hud during garage phase while waiting on the grid.
  • Changed position bar so it doesn’t display information during garage phase.
  • Fixed the issue where you would get disqualified immediately after the lights in hillclimb tracks.
  • Fixed using arrow keys for increase/decrease in pit menu going through settings very fast.
  • Fixed a crash that was occurring when leaving a Hillclimb session after finishing a run.
  • Fixed rear lights flashing when pressing the headlights button
  • Ensured that certain reset commands are sent to DirectInput devices when effects are disabled.
  • Changed “off” steerForceVibe period to be 2000000.
  • Increased maximum execution time for all communications from 30 seconds to a minute or higher.
  • Disabled FFB when reaching the spring based lock if it's active.
  • Cleaned up the ffb code a bit while fixing the above issue. Removed mimic code and made sure all ffb effects are turned off during AI control.
  • Fixed game crashing while navigating in the portal while in a competition session.
  • Fixed an issue with damage when downshifting without clutch.
  • Disabled foreground window lock when playing fullscreen.
  • Disabled game minimizing when losing focus.
  • Fixed game crashing/freezing when pressing pit request button while no audio device is connected.
  • Changed throttle pedal zero magnitude and vibe slope default values to 0.

Multiplayer:
  • Added 2 race format and reversed grids.
  • The netcode is now IPv6 compatible.
  • Removed some unused functions from netcode that were somehow triggering crashes for some players.
  • Potentially fixed an issue where cars not within Peer to Peer range would become invisible.
  • We now allow duplicate server names to avoid admins not being able to access their settings if a condition such as their IP changes. (Also means we no longer have to remove their names from the associated server list manually).
  • Added so the associated server list clears names that have been inactive for 30 days.
  • Removed the gridwalk camera phase since it’s irrelevant with the introduction of garage phase.
  • Fixed issue with xinput controllers ending up in an unusable state after disconnect/reconnect/usb port switch etc.
  • Fixed issue with opponent cars briefly disappearing during starting light phase.

Sounds, Cameras, Physics, AI:
  • Significant AI logic improvements.
  • Added punctures to the tire model. Past the lowest possible wear value, tires have a chance to puncture.
  • It is now impossible to disable autoclutch aid on sequential gearbox’d cars.
  • DRS effects on the aerodynamics of the car have been reworked
  • DRS allowance is now 3 activations per lap with a gap detection of 1 second at the S/F line.
  • Push 2 Pass is now disabled in qualifying and competitions to comply with the changes made in 2016 to the Audi Sport TT Cup official rules and regulations.
  • Downshifting without clutch on a H-Pattern gearbox now properly damages the gearbox.
  • BMW 635 : Interior cockpit texture update
  • BMW M1 Procar : Better standing starts for AI, made AI less easily roll up on curbs.
  • DTM : DRS adjustment to previous seasons so they also benefit from DRS aerodynamics improvements.
  • DTM 1992 : Removed Traction Control ranges
  • Ford Mustang GTO : Coast revs sounds adjustments in cockpit.
  • Formula cars : New internal gearshifts sounds (except the Junior which is H-pattern)
  • Silhouette class cars now have new action cameras
  • WTCC 2015 : AI optimizations for new code
  • Hockenheim : AI optimizations for new code
  • Indianapolis : New sets of TV cameras (reminder : use End key to cycle through them)
  • Laguna Seca : New sets of TV cameras
  • Lausitzring : New sets of TV cameras
  • Macau : AI optimization for new code. Hairpin is a no-overtake zone (for AI only for now, until we have a flag system for players)
  • Monza : New sets of TV cameras
  • Moscow : AI Optimizations for new code on the FIM layout
  • Norisring : New sets of TV cameras, AI optimizations for new code
  • Paul Ricard : AI optimizations for new code, tweaks to cut corridors
  • Portimao : New sets of TV cameras, AI optimizations for new code
  • Slovakiaring : Sector gates are now matching the real track
  • Sonoma Raceway : AI Optimizations for new code
  • Spa-Francorchamps : Runoff tarmac areas now properly have lowered grip, fixed faulty cut rules near the pit exit on Combined and Classic layouts
  • Zandvoort : AI optimizations for new code

Art:
  • LOD system improvements on many cars
  • Adjustment of distances for the fog effects for smoother transitions on zoomed cameras
  • DTM tracks have received their 2016 season advertisement dressing as well as various bug fixes
  • Audi TT cup : adjustment to the invisible collision box of the car, size adjustment of the drop shadow area under the car.BMW 635 : Fixed a hole in the engine bay when the front of the car is damaged
  • Chevrolet Camaro GT3 : Fixed a slight blurb of paint on the trunk of livery #16
  • Mercedes SLS GT3 : Fixed an issue with the visual damage on the hood, fixed a few issues on various liveries
  • Volvo 240T : Interior textures update
  • Hockenheim : Updates of the 3D curbs, various bug fixes
  • Hungaroring : Updates of the 3D curbs, various bug fixes
  • Oschersleben : Updates of the 3D curbs, slight tweaks to camber and elevation in certain areas, reduced some nasty bumps on the track surface.
  • Macau : Resurfaced the track to be less bumpy, various bug fixes
  • Monza : Visual tweaks
  • Nuerburgring : Distance markers for the chicane are now visible, various bug fixes.
  • Spa-Francorchamps : Fixed various bugs, added one advertisement location at La Source.
  • Zandvoort : Made the exit curb at turn 4 (Hugenholtzbocht) 20 meters longer.

Portal & Backend
  • Revamped Portal Store with new theme and new structure.
  • Fixed some issues with certain special characters causing issues in initial username on new accounts.
  • Implemented Essential Packs and Car Class Packs.

Momentary

Banned
Man, just saw the 911 GT3 RSR. It's in the December update of Assetto Corsa. Man I can't wait.

01-2017-porsche-911-rsr-la-1.jpg

The December car pack also has the 911 GT3 Cup as well:

Man. Assetto definitely quenching people's thirst for Porsche racing machines.

vanty

Man, just saw the 911 GT3 RSR. It's in the December update of Assetto Corsa. Man I can't wait.

The December car pack also has the 911 GT3 Cup as well:

Man. Assetto definitely quenching people's thirst for Porsche racing machines.

Is there confirmation that the RSR is this brand new one and not last year's or something?

TJP

Taken from: http://www.bsimracing.com/raceroom-november-2016-dev-stream-recap/

Features:
Unified Experience + Advanced Race Settings
AI Improvements
Punctures
SimXPerience Accuforce Support
New Portal design
New Packs available
DTM 2016 available
Audi Sport TT Cup 2016 available
KTM X-Bow RR coming
Audi TT RS VLN coming

Future Plans:
Flag Rules
VR Support
New Data displays
Online Championships
Player Ranking
Safety Rating
License System

Future Content previews:
Formula RR 3
Formula RR US
new GT3 cars
Volvo Polestart TC 1
Silverstone

TJP

Imola is available on Steam for $5.99 USD:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/544260

Update 1.15 details:

Content:
*Cars (Only Available for BRIT PACK and / or season pass owners):
*Added Ultima GTR Standard Road Series (less powerful than the original 720 model)
*Tracks (Only Available for IMOLA and / or season pass owners):Added 4 versions of Imola – 1972, 1988, 2001, 2016

Features & Fixes
:
*Opponent filters now listed alphabetically in session menu
*Added vehicle configuration menu to *Multiplayer car selection screen
*Slightly toned down AI aggression when near other cars for all tracks
*Removed the fields with wrong info from AMS Config
*Added Memory load warning when approaching application limit
*Fixed shader initialization bug with could cause tire textures to become darkened in saved replays
*Added warning messages for Pit Lane Closed & *Open during multiplayer start procedures for players starting from the pits
*Increased Multiplayer pre-race time from the 30s to the 60s
*Switched penalty for leaving the pits under a red light after race start from DQ to stop/go (penalty when leaving before the start remains DQ)
*Updated UI sound effects
*Several track limit detections and tweaks at *Interlagos, Mendig, Montreal, Granja, VIR, Salvador & Supertruck layouts
*Adjusted collision feelers for better detection, slightly improved behavior & AI awareness
*Corrected engine sound panning for cars with alternative driver seat positions
*Minor DFV sound update
*Corrected pit menu settings for brit pack cars
*Updated road & terrain properties for Brands, *Cadwell & Oulton
*Brands: Rebuilt GP layout AIW in hope of fixing reported online freezing issues
*Cadwell: Fixed issue with falling through terrain on right-hand side just before mountain turns
*Oulton: Moved tire stacks on apexes back by about 20cm; Improved wrong way messages when running wide on straight after Cascades (may still occur in some circumstances); Adjusted AI line through Druids in International layout
*Spielberg: Adjusted AI line through the last corner
*Mini: Minor adjustment to onboard engine sounds
*StockV8: Corrected Julio Campos driver number
*Metalmoro: Fixed cockpit windows texture
*Boxer Cup: Fixed cockpit windows texture
*Superkart: Fixed low-res mirrors
*F-V10: Added community Team Cosmo; Adjusted default setup; increased soft tire wear rate
*Metalmoro: Added community driver
*Kart: Fixed error in damage file
*F-Vintage: Fixed material name with gold rims which could cause GMT errors
*F-Vee: Fixed unrealistic front suspension animation
*Ultima GTR: Various physics adjustments; *Adjusted AI performance; Adjusted gearshift timings; Adjusted driving aid properties
*F-Trainer: Various physics adjustments; *Adjusted AI performance; Adjusted gearshift timings; Adjusted driving aid properties
*MRC2000: Various physics adjustments;Adjusted *AI performance; Adjusted gearshift timings; *Adjusted driving aid properties; Added left driver side configuration
*Caterhams: Fixed Oil and Water gauges; added headlights for cockpit view; Added roll cage to driver side configuration; Adjusted drag coefficient; Revised tires in all models; *Adjusted AI performance; Adjusted gearshift timings; Adjusted driving aid properties
*OBS: Steam Achievements are being phased in over the next couple of weeks. You may notice some basic Achievements popping up in the meantime.
*OBS2: Updated integration with newer Logitech drivers has been postponed for the next build (no need to update drivers just yet).
*OBS3: If you have an online race tonight, you may stick to or revert to the previous v1.1.1 by selecting that branch from the Steam Beta tab.

AMS really needs a championship creator. I want to run some of these old tracks in a championship or something.

I would have thought that was one of the first things they tackled. Instead I think it's literally the only thing that was promised in the campaign, but has yet to show up (VR withstanding)!

TJP

RD has the details here: http://www.racedepartment.com/threa...upcoming-content-and-features-preview.128533/

KTM X-Bow RR - been in testing for months; the best feeling car in R3E.

Audi TT RS VLN - been in testing for months; a great FWD car if that's your thing

Formula RaceRoom 3 & Formula RaceRoom US - an F3 and IndyCar without the licencing hassles. Likely to be based on whatever real world data the physics guys can find like all previous Formula RR releases.

Zeth

Today's the day:
http://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256675117/movie_max.webm?t=1479805796

Changelog 1.10 (lol)
- New Porsche 718 Boxster S Manual gearbox (Porsche Pack #2 DLC)
- New Porsche 718 Boxster S PDK gearbox (Porsche Pack #2 DLC)
- New Porsche Cayman GT4 (street version) (Porsche Pack #2 DLC)
- New Porsche 911 GT3 RS (street 991 version) (Porsche Pack #2 DLC)
- New Porsche 718 Spyder RS60 1960 (Porsche Pack #2 DLC)
- New Porsche 962C Short Tail 1985 (Porsche Pack #2 DLC)
- New Porsche 962C Long Tail 1987 (Porsche Pack #2 DLC)
- New Porsche 911 GT1-98 1998 (Porsche Pack #2 DLC)
- New Porsche 919 Hybrid 2015 (Porsche Pack #2 DLC)
- New Porsche Cayenne Turbo S (free bonus car)
- Improved Porsche 911 Carrera S electronics
- Improved Porsche 918 Spyder electronics
- V10 street tyres for BMW M4 and Corvette C7 Stingray for comparison reasons (v10 still beta)
- V10 street tyres performance improvements
- V10 tyres for McLaren F1 GTR
- V10 tyres for Mercedes C9
- Improved Porsche 917/30 physics with more accurate data from homologation papers.
- Corrected typos on Porsche Cayman GT4 Clubsport rear suspension toe link
- Added vertical wing ("fin") simulation in Porsche 917/30
- VR: now cockpit camera position is always on the driver eye position (this is overridden by the onboard camera settings)
- Fixed WBCAR_TOP_FRONT not being modified by RIM_OFFSET
- Fixed CX_MULT only using the last value in the INI for every compound
- Added BRAKE_DX_MOD parameter to have slip ratio vs FX curve different on the brake side
- Fixed some too low turbo volumes
- Improved FXX K downshift sound
- Added electronics tab in the car setup
- Fixed ERS energy deployment wasn't resetting in Hotlap mode
- Body work has now some flexibility when colliding with ground
- Improved tyre load formula
- Fixed Lock Controls penalty when player is AFK during race start
- Added brake pressure setup options for all cars
- Added vertical wings ("Fins") simulation
- Added Energy deployment limit from a single front MGU
- Added majorly IMO tyres temperature to shared memory
- Fixed Porsche Panamera wrong alignment setup options
- Fixed Lamborghini Miura long pitstop refueling time
- Fixed Lamborghini Countach S1 long pitstop refueling time
- Fixed rear damping ratio in Car Engineer app
- Fixed Autoshifter shifting too early in race start
- python new functions and members
- getTrackLength()
- Fixed Default ABS/TC and current ABS/TC level not being synchronized
- Tyre explosion temperature is now configurable by modders by using the optional section in tyres.ini :
[EXPLOSION]
TEMPERATURE=350
- Gamepad can now use legacy code for vibrations and speed sensitivity by setting USE_LEGACY_CODE=1 in system/cfg/assetto_corsa.ini
- Enabled camera shake and g-force movements for OculusVR

paskowitz

Guys, the 919 in the latest AC Porsche pack... ho... le... cow. The acceleration is insane. Since WEC cars are slower than an F1 car in the corner, the out of corner exit feels stupidly quick. I would venture to say probably faster than mid to low pack current F1 cars.

Also, the 911 GT3RS... wow wow wow. A little more understeer on corner entry than I would like, but on braking, mid corner and corner exit... what a charmer.

The rest of the cars are ok... but IMO the pack is worth it just for these two.

I think all AC cars feel a little softer with the new patch, not just FFB-wise. Maybe it's the new vertical load formula or the chassis flex is not just for ground collision, ...or just my imagination. The extremest example from my 2 hours of play was the Boxster on the Nordschleife. Shouldn't it be a lot like the Cayman? I don't remember the Cayman to be overly soft. The Boxster is SO soft and roll'y. Though, the game felt definitely
softer on older cars as well (Gallardo for example was more enjoyable now).

Except for the Boxster, I would say, it felt better and more natural, then again, the hardest un-"tuned" car I've driven in real life was an older Ibiza Cupra and I usually like somewhat softer setups in racing sims (or at least in Forza and pCARS). Maybe people who have driven a very hard and low car that was setup for racing will say it gotten less realistic, I don't know... OR, again, it's just my imagination.

I haven't decided on a favorite from the pack yet, but I have to say, I usually hate driving modern LMP cars in sims, ...the 919 was surprisingly awesome though. I've saved the 2 oldest cars for tomorrow, really hoping the 718 proves to be amazing.

paskowitz

I would rank them:

1. 919
2. 911 GT3 RS
3. 911 GT1
4. Cayman GT4
5. 962c Long/Long Tail
6. 718 Spyder RS
7. Boxter Manual/PDK

The Boxter does feel really floaty. I wouldn't be surprised if they change the physics in a patch. The 718 is just kinda eh. The 962 is fun, big turbo wooooosh and all... but not that fun in the corners. The Cayman GT4 is super balanced and great to slide around... but I can't help but feel like the gear ratios are too long. The 911 GT1 makes some great noises and is a car that is easy to pick up, but hard to master. The turbo takes some getting used to... but at least the waste gate sounds great! The GT3 RS has a little more turn in understeer than I would like... but other than that it is a joy to drive. The braking is phenomenal for a road car and the mid to corner exit balance is sensational. Finally the 919 is just a rocketship. I simply cannot believe how fast it is.

Every sim should have Porsches.

Zeth

The vintage Spyder is so fun. It's super well-balanced for such an old car. You can really throw it around. And it's so light and the sound is so great that you forget it's got "only" 150hp.

The GT3 RS definitely exceeded my expectations - probably one of the best road cars in AC. Will have to see what the pace is like compared to some others. Pretty sure it's faster than everything though.

Norns

The vintage Spyder is so fun. It's super well-balanced for such an old car. You can really throw it around. And it's so light and the sound is so great that you forget it's got "only" 150hp.

The GT3 RS definitely exceeded my expectations - probably one of the best road cars in AC. Will have to see what the pace is like compared to some others. Pretty sure it's faster than everything though.

Love the spider. Kept damaging the engine over reving it though!

I'm just happy to have a LMP1 to mess around with.

I can geek-drool over modern high-tech cars like the 918, but just for driving...?! The more modern a car is the less I want high-tech with a ton of horsepower, driving-wise I prefer modern cars that have little hp but are all about precision and fun like an MX-5 or the BMW M235 Racing (I love some modern "dumb" muscle though that's not made to disect a track).
In general though only older cars with tons of character - no matter the hp - get me "omg, fucking YESSS!!".

So... this AC pack wasn't really for me, the 718 is a bit too easy, the 550 Spyder (there is a mod that got kinda good since v2 and will hopefully get the 718 tire data in a newer version) that still had the swing-axle rear suspension had more character on the handling side (the 718 looks just absolutely georgeous though). The not great engine responsiveness as well as the lift and maybe something else prevent it from being a full on precision track toy; what Im saying is, the 718 is in no mans land between the 550's character and the ultimate track toy confidence feeling.
The 962c... I don't know, I don't buy into the low-speed grip and too perfect over-/understeer balance - over 60mph I think it's very believable because of the massive downforce that thing had. The C9 also got a lot easier after the patch, but it still has some more snap to it than the 962c.

Speaking of track toys and believable: what is MarvelHarvey's opinion on the lower power Ultima from AMS that came with the last patch and was mentioned from Zeth earlier? I had a lot of fun with, definitely my favorite version of the Ultima in Automobilista.

TJP

The Cooper Tires USF2000 Series an accessible American open wheel series officially sanctioned by INDYCAR, is a popular proving ground for ambitious drivers wanting to progress to the next level.

The USF2000 car, powered by Mazda, from Van Diemen is an excellent entry-level low-downforce car. It’s grippy, yet nimble. While it can be tail happy at times, it remains catchable and is always rewarding to throw around. We’ve enjoyed some very close, smile-on-your-face, wheel-to-wheel racing testing out the limits of the USF2000. Daring overtakes and massive trail braking really show off it’s capabilities.

The 2016 spec USF2000 uses Van Diemen/Elan DP08 chassis and is powered by Mazda's MZR 2 liter, 4 cylinder DOHC engine with fuel-injectors, tuned by Elite Engines to 170 hp thus capable of achieving a top speed of about 150 mph.

The car is available in two classes: the Championship class with a 5 speed sequential gearbox, and the slightly lower tier National class, with two transmission choices – the 5 speed (same as in the Championship class, but with a 50 lb weight penalty) and an older, 4 speed H-shifter variant available with three different final ratios.

Steam DL link: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=804789421

TJP

The physics models of the cars have been finetuned even more thanks to input from real drivers such as Bruno Spengler, who continues to provide extremely valuable feedback, to guarantee the most realistic handling possible.

Based on the feedback, Bruno loves the feeling of fresh tyres and how they wear over time which he said was 'spot on'. Physics tweaks were made to combat power-on understeer in the base set-up and the steering lock required at high speed, again all per Spengler's feedback.

FWIW the DRS effect isn't as strong in the 2016 cars - IDK if that's something Sector 3 will address.

Info: https://forum.sector3studios.com/index.php?threads/dtm-2016.6564/
DTM 2016 Experience package (cars + tracks): http://game.raceroom.com/store/pack/dtm-experience
Cars only store link: http://game.raceroom.com/store/pack/dtm-2016

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VapFnbQKqNE

The X-Bow RR is a pitbull of a car, it has more power and more tenacity than what is probably good for its owner.

The RR model is stripped of any of the excess weight from the street-legal version and in return it has had a score of new aeodynamic parts added to make it handle even sharper. The monocoque is made completely of composite carbon fibre material and no expense has been spared to make this as fast and as fun as humanly possible.

The overall result is a mid-engine open two seater racing machine weighing just under 800kg equipped with an Audi 2.0 TFSI delivering 360bhp! Or to put it in more understandable terms; It is a rocket with wheels.

Store link: http://game.raceroom.com/store/cars/ktm-x-bow-rr-cup/ktm/ktm-x-bow-rr

Competition to attend a track day in Austria: https://forum.sector3studios.com/index.php?threads/ktm-x-bow-esport-trophy.6667/

saladine1

Why is it that Raceroom can get the sounds,(in particular, the transmission/driveline flex, cockpit and suspension effects) so right and others can't?
The forces involved in the loading of engine, gearbox..etc is relayed so authentically.

The way the sound ties into the physics is just superb!

As an example, the Zakspeed has that 'gearbox wobble' not only when changing gears, but also when applying throttle from a lower RPM range. It really does feel like I have a real driveline connected to the car.
Stuff like that screams detail!

Speaking of track toys and believable: what is MarvelHarvey's opinion on the lower power Ultima from AMS that came with the last patch and was mentioned from Zeth earlier? I had a lot of fun with, definitely my favorite version of the Ultima in Automobilista.
Sorry, not driven it yet. Most likely I'll have time give it a shake down on December 3rd or 4th.

Just tried R3E's X-Bow. Handling wise it's super fun, it just all feels a bit heavy, not how a lightweight car would feel steering-wise. Maybe I need to make a new FFB profile that makes it feel less like a touring car, I don't know.

What I really wanted to say, I can't H-shift that thing, every 2nd-3rd input is not recognized. Even when I hold down the clutch the entire time and try some quick shifts, it doesn't take some gear shifts. It's like it's programmed to ignore shifts that are too quick. It's also not that the ingame gear is put in later, it's like it ignores the shifter's new "button press/hold". I tried my TH8A control panel and it's not that my shifter is broken, the inputs there keep up with all of my quick shifts.
Does anybody else have this in RaceRoom?

TJP

If you have 50 Euro/7,500 VRP, you can buy all of R3E content. Tweet from R3E staff Georg here: https://twitter.com/6e66o/status/802156451271675904

Just tried R3E's X-Bow. Handling wise it's super fun, it just all feels a bit heavy, not how a lightweight car would feel steering-wise. Maybe I need to make a new FFB profile that makes it feel less like a touring car, I don't know.
I think it's your force feedback settings. The X-Bow was made using feedback from one beta tester who owns the road car and he's provided the vehicle settings directly from a X-Bow racer in Austria (where the tester did a few track days IIRC).

TJP

This seems like a damn good deal. comes out to be $45 in the US. Would people consider this to be better. Reviews on STEAM seem to say the sim itself is good, but that it's hard to set up.
It is a damn great deal given the amount of licenced content if you are very interested in GT cars and the DTM series. A large section of the R3E user base is German which reflects the content (or vice versa).

Reviews on Steam still reflect the poor reception the original version got. Sector 3 have worked hard on every aspect of the sim; its not a hard sim to setup - the FFB is very adjustable and you could get lost rather easily once you start fettling the settings. The official forums and Race Department have some very good FFB settings.

TJP

Reiza released a small update for AMS:

Changelog:
Fixed potential online mismatches with Caterhams and MCR
Imola 1972: Adjusted AI paths
Imola 2001: Fixed start light sequence
Imola 2016: Adjusted astroturf run-off at the exit of Villeneuve
Kansai West: Removed collision from garages not building in pits; Fixed DQ when in first garage slot
F-Trainer: Fixed steering wheel axis alignment
MCR: Fixed bug with auto-downshifting
Ultima GTR: Further adjusted AI in road versions

Momentary

Banned
Just tried R3E and I gotta say.... it feels pretty damn good. It's not as good looking as other sims, but damn does it run smooth as silk. I would say it makes the game look better than many others in motion. I think I might go in for the all in pack tonight...

They don't have the most up to date selection, but all the cars they do have all feel fantastic to drive from what I've experienced during trials.I'm guessing this company really focuses on the quality of a few cars when it comes to physics and sound rather than trying to throw a bunch of junk in there with bling and dazzle just for the sake of playing the numbers game.

Edit: After messing around with the client a little more I think I'm going to hold off until I get an actual racing set up. I was wanting to go big on it, but I used a G29 or whatever the PC equivalent is, at my buddy's place and I'm wondering if a Fanatec setup would actually be worth the hassle for a racing scrub like myself.

Makikou

The 962c... I don't know, I don't buy into the low-speed grip and too perfect over-/understeer balance - over 60mph I think it's very believable because of the massive downforce that thing had. The C9 also got a lot easier after the patch, but it still has some more snap to it than the 962c.

The 962C Short Tail is weird. It is just so glued in all the time I'm not buying it either. Either the default setup is made so that it just plows and stays glued to the ground or there's some fuckery going on.

Sauber C9 feels much more real.

I had the chance to play AC on a rig and run the TH8RS shifter in H-pattern. So much fun driving the old cars around Nordschleife. Especially the C9 which I fell in love with.

Ocho

What's the proper etiquette if I'm a lap behind and the first dudes are catching up to me? Should I still ride the line or let them pass?

spuckthew

Personally, I'd just let them pass. Main reason being is that you don't know how competent the guy closing in on you is at lapping people cleanly, especially if he's struggling to find a good spot and gets frustrated. In iRacing, for example, I believe you're actually shown blue flags to move over anyway (like in real life).

Ocho

Personally, I'd just let them pass. Main reason being is that you don't know how competent the guy closing in on you is at lapping people cleanly, especially if he's struggling to find a good spot and gets frustrated. In iRacing, for example, I believe you're actually shown blue flags to move over anyway (like in real life).

So that's what the blue flag means huh? lol

Makikou

What's the proper etiquette if I'm a lap behind and the first dudes are catching up to me? Should I still ride the line or let them pass?

Blue flag means you are being lapped and need to let the lapper go by.

The proper etiquette is that you stay on the racing line and preferably lift on the straight. Do not brake on the exit of a corner or take any weird lines. The more weird stuff you do, the harder it is to predict you for the faster car.

So that's what the blue flag means huh? lol

There is a Vettel joke in there somewhere, but ok, seriously:
I would say, if you aren't fighting for a position because you are driving in no man's land on 23rd place and the 24th and 22nd are far far away, let the lapping cars overtake and lift off the throttle a little on the straights or even let it have the ideal line on the straight.
However, if you are still fighting for a position with some other guys, it's totally fair to go full speed and stay on your line, you just are not allowed to make any defensive moves against a car that is lapping you if it's going for an overtake. If the lapping car is losing time because you are racing your race, they might be pissed though.

Also the blue flag means "faster car approaching", so theoretically you could be shown the blue flag even if you are in first place - for example if your car is damaged or in a multi-class race and an LMP-class car is behind your GT-class car. In general, if a guy is faster than you and you are not directly competing with him, don't defend and try to make his overtake easy for him.

----------------------
The 962C Short Tail is weird. It is just so glued in all the time I'm not buying it either. Either the default setup is made so that it just plows and stays glued to the ground or there's some fuckery going on.

Saw an interview on youtube yesterday where a guy from Porsche was saying that they reviewed the AC cars and gave feedback to Kunos, but they had no one with experience in the classic cars. Then again, the 911 GT3 RS on the hypercar-road tires is also completely glued to the street even at very low speeds... they must have approved of that and I don't think the lap times would work for that thing if it weren't so glued on.
Still not sure about the 962c at low speeds.

About "fun with C9 and a TH8RS shifter": exACTLY! Shifting is so much fun, I have not much interest in driving the 911 GT3 RS if a 911 R with manual transmission is coming soon. Can't wait for that one.

lem0n

I'm saving up for a Fanatec setup for my PC, what do I absolutely need? I want to use it on XB1 as well. Looking to get a good shifter, and the Fanatec ones look a bit shit. Go with that Thrustmaster one, I take it? Also, best budget (and stable) stand for wheel/pedals?

I'm saving up for a Fanatec setup for my PC, what do I absolutely need? I want to use it on XB1 as well. Looking to get a good shifter, and the Fanatec ones look a bit shit. Go with that Thrustmaster one, I take it? Also, best budget (and stable) stand for wheel/pedals?

Someone else should help you with must-haves for a Fanatec XB1-setup (if I had the money for that, I'd probably get a universal hub and an aftermarket rim, but it all adds to the price).
On the "bit shit" shifter, I THINK I've heard there is a new Fanatec shifter coming very soon, but wasn't able to dig it up just now with a quick google search, sorry.
Also Wheel Stand Pro should be able to handle a Fanatec Wheelbase torque-wise, it's complete garbage for shifter mounting though. Maybe look into GT Omega.. they seem pretty good and not overly pricey for what you get. Playseats always seem "ok/good" but too little for too much money to me (maybe look for a discounted one).

Other shifter news:
Billy Strange from ISR had the same shifter issues in RaceRoom with the X-Bow in their newest youtube video that I reported here a week ago or so. For now I'm happy that it wasn't just a problem on my end, but hopefully Sector3 gets this sorted out soon.

My 3 year 3 month old son loves sitting at my T500RS, pretending to drive, starring at a blank screen. Last week though, whilst I was focused on browsing GAF, I booted up AMS and let him change gears. "1 2 3 4 5 6 5 4 3 2 1 N R. What's R daddy?"

A few minutes later, I grew curious and wondered what would happen if I pushed the accelerator pedal. Sadly, I didn't film his first outing on circuit, but I immediately rushed off to get my camera for his second...

My toddler drives Brands Hatch

My toddler drives Suzuka West

[BONUS] Car control!

MizzouRah

My 3 year 3 month old son loves sitting at my T500RS, pretending to drive, starring at a blank screen. Last week though, whilst I was focused on browsing GAF, I booted up AMS and let him change gears. "1 2 3 4 5 6 5 4 3 2 1 N R. What's R daddy?"

A few minutes later, I grew curious and wondered what would happen if I pushed the accelerator pedal. Sadly, I didn't film his first outing on circuit, but I immediately rushed off to get my camera for his second...

My toddler drivers Brands Hatch

My toddler drivers Suzuka West

[BONUS] Car control!

Adorable -- you've got a pretty good driver!

Makikou

The X-Bow RR is a pitbull of a car, it has more power and more tenacity than what is probably good for its owner.

The RR model is stripped of any of the excess weight from the street-legal version and in return it has had a score of new aeodynamic parts added to make it handle even sharper. The monocoque is made completely of composite carbon fibre material and no expense has been spared to make this as fast and as fun as humanly possible.

The overall result is a mid-engine open two seater racing machine weighing just under 800kg equipped with an Audi 2.0 TFSI delivering 360bhp! Or to put it in more understandable terms; It is a rocket with wheels.

Store link: http://game.raceroom.com/store/cars/ktm-x-bow-rr-cup/ktm/ktm-x-bow-rr

Competition to attend a track day in Austria: https://forum.sector3studios.com/index.php?threads/ktm-x-bow-esport-trophy.6667/

So i've been running the competition hotlap at Zandvoort since Friday now.

First of all, idk what hacks you need to do for 1.37's but jesus christ. I'm at 43th position and I know I can do a 39 flat if I get a really good lap in.

Secondly, the car is fun to drive for sure.. It's very easy to drive even I'd say.
It's just so hard to get it rotate on the exit of the corner imo. You can't adjust the diff on the hotlap competition so I guess I need to experiment with some good ol' setup lottery and see what works.

[BONUS] Car control!

:D

So sweet, and rather impressive too!

terrible

Banned

[BONUS] Car control!

Holy crap he's good.

Top Bottom