• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims Thread

DD

So weird...

Already installed this beauty. :D

273840_20161019224453q4u73.jpg

DD

Oh man yeah i got that mod too it's so good! The FFB feel of cars in this game is sublime. I'm hooked on the Boxer Challenge cars

CART Extreme mod is amazing. Helps that those are probably my favorite race cars of all time.

Amazing indeed!

Guys, I have a question about mods. I'll probably be happy with just the CART stuff, but I'm interesting in getting some tracks. Do they work fine in terms of AI competitiveness? Are there other problems I should know about?

Cheers!

I know this outs me as a complete dork, but it's a bit like waiting for christmas as a small kid.
Part of it is due to the artificial rarity of Porsches not only in sims but in racing games in general since that stupid EA deal, but another big part comes from my love for Assetto Corsa and Kunos, how their cars feel and how they marketed their porsche coup.

Five banderas gifs couldn't do my feelings justice.

Amazing indeed!

Guys, I have a question about mods. I'll probably be happy with just the CART stuff, but I'm interesting in getting some tracks. Do they work fine in terms of AI competitiveness? Are there other problems I should know about?

Cheers!
As far as track mods, the quality of both the tracks and the AI behaviour varies a lot, depending on the modder, AMS is starting to get conversions from GTR2 and rFactor tracks, however this track pack created by patrick giranthon is pretty much on the level with the AMS included tracks so that should keep you busy for a while

DD

As far as track mods, the quality of both the tracks and the AI behaviour varies a lot, depending on the modder, AMS is starting to get conversions from GTR2 and rFactor tracks, however this track pack created by patrick giranthon is pretty much on the level with the AMS included tracks so that should keep you busy for a while

Awesome! Thanks!

spuckthew

Man, I need to get back into AC. I never really got into it because braking was always really weird for me without ABS (constant lockups at the slightest touch), but there's actually some fucking good content for the game. Maybe I'll just pretend that factory ABS is how the cars were designed to be driven and just get on wit it.

Man, I need to get back into AC. I never really got into it because braking was always really weird for me without ABS (constant lockups at the slightest touch), but there's actually some fucking good content for the game. Maybe I'll just pretend that factory ABS is how the cars were designed to be driven and just get on wit it.

They absolutely are.
AC tries to simulate different ABS systems, older cars for example tend to have slower pulsing systems, while modern cars feature very smooth ABS. GT3 cars and some road cars as well have multiple ABS modes that can be changed while your driving.
If you turn off TC and ABS, you still have many electronic driving aid systems turned on especially in the hypercars - brake bias control, torque vectoring that brakes the inside wheel, AWD that decides on its own if the car is basically RWD only now, then there are hybrid cars, active rear wheel steering and some more systems out of your control. So don't think that you have full control or the purest car feel, if you turn just TC and ABS off, the cars where that is true are probably in the minority in AC.

Btw. I think that braking high downforce cars (you know, brake pedal to the metal then ease off as the car gets slower) is the most fun in RaceRoom, it's easy because you get good feedback but I can't help thinking that the effect is overdone in most of their cars. On the other end of the spectrum is Forza Motorsport 6, where every car has the exact same ABS and it always sucks; it's not hard to get better lap times with ABS turned off even if you over or underbrake a ton. The brake feel is absolutely terrible with the downforce effect on brake-lockup underdone and almost every production car (even cheap ones from the 80s) lock up the tires at 80% brake input.
Compared to those 2, driving cars designed with ABS in mind is hard and almost never makes faster, but it with that it falls right in the middle between the two extremes and is relatively believable for me.

Dave_6

I think the 917 will be the craziest experience I'm gonna have with the T500.

Can't wait to try it out around Riverside!

I know this outs me as a complete dork, but it's a bit like waiting for christmas as a small kid.
Part of it is due to the artificial rarity of Porsches not only in sims but in racing games in general since that stupid EA deal, but another big part comes from my love for Assetto Corsa and Kunos, how their cars feel and how they marketed their porsche coup.

Five banderas gifs couldn't do my feelings justice.

Don't worry, I feel exactly the same way. AC is my favorite sim and every one of their DLC packs has been fantastic IMO. This is Porsche though, finally in a real sim!

spuckthew

They absolutely are.
AC tries to simulate different ABS systems, older cars for example tend to have slower pulsing systems, while modern cars feature very smooth ABS. GT3 cars and some road cars as well have multiple ABS modes that can be changed while your driving.
If you turn off TC and ABS, you still have many electronic driving aid systems turned on especially in the hypercars - brake bias control, torque vectoring that brakes the inside wheel, AWD that decides on its own if the car is basically RWD only now, then there are hybrid cars, active rear wheel steering and some more systems out of your control. So don't think that you have full control or the purest car feel, if you turn just TC and ABS off, the cars where that is true are probably in the minority in AC.

Thanks for the detailed post. I agree with you on R3E: it's been my favourite sim this year because the driving feels so connected and responsive. Cars feel planted, which might make it feel less realistic to some, but you can easily push for lap time in the braking zones and feel the car more. Push too far and you'll spin just like any ultra-realistic sim though.

I'll definitely give AC a more thorough go this time though. The same thing happened to me with R3E last year: I'd turn it on for a few minutes only to quit because it felt a bit off. Now, as I mentioned before, it's probably my favourite racing game.

DD

Did a CART race on Montreal yesterday and the AI was terrible. Need to test it with other cars to see if it's not a problem with the mod instead with the game. D:

I want some of these newer PC sims (PCars, AC, rF2, Dirt Rally) :(

I've be reading about the GFX card upgrades my old Dell 9200 can take, the best cards compatible with its 375w PSU seem to be these:

GeForce GTX 550 Ti
Radeon HD 7770
Radeon HD 7750
Radeon HD 6850
Radeon HD 6770
Radeon HD 6750

Which one is the best to go with Core 2 Duo E6400 2.13GHz + 8GB DDR2, and will I be able to play these games with a stable framerate?

I finally got around to doing this by scoring a HD7770 card off ebay for £21, and I'm shocked to find out that Assetto Corsa runs at 60fps with everything turned up in display / post process settings and smoke dialled down.

screenshot_vsf1_mclar5hq4l.jpg

screenshot_vsf1_mclarkcq27.jpg

Silky smooth 60fps with just me on tracks and minor dips with more than 7 cars on track.

I should be able to run Dirt Rally?

I should be able to run Dirt Rally?
Welcome aboard. Yeah, I remember when DiRT Rally launched and many people with DX10.0 cards bought the game not knowing that it's DX10.1 or higher only, quite a few jumped on a GTX 750Ti deal that was able to run the game amazingly well.
Your card is basically the same GFLOPS wise (edit: not sure about your processor and if DiRT Rally is CPU heavy, but probably not).

DD

I used to run Dirt Rally with almost everything on max serttings on a 7850. D:

Anyway, I just did a race on Suzuka with the lower class Lancer Cup on Stock Car Extreme and...

94f.png

Bought AMS season pass 2 or 3 weeks ago, wanted to support Reiza and was sure that it'll be worth the money, but the price fir the brit pack DLC as a standalone DLC...? I don't think I - personally - would have paid 20 GBP for that.

Anyway, I love all of the cars in it and I think I will now finally learn to drive Cadwell Park. Oh and...that Ultima(?!) ...not easy *scared*

Also can't wait for more spotter mods like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fytCD0ytGqQ
Blueeee flag, ...common!

TJP

Bought AMS season pass 2 or 3 weeks ago, wanted to support Reiza and was sure that it'll be worth the money, but the price fir the brit pack DLC as a standalone DLC...? I don't think I - personally - would have paid 20 GBP for that.

Anyway, I love all of the cars in it and I think I will now finally learn to drive Cadwell Park. Oh and...that Ultima(?!) ...not easy *scared*

Also can't wait for more spotter mods like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fytCD0ytGqQ
Blueeee flag, ...common!
Love the spotter!

I feel the money for the DLC is justified; AMS user base is tiny compared to AC so licensing costs aren't shared across large user base/platforms, Reiza have provided a shitload of free content and updates and their work remains the best on the isimotor 2 platform.

That said Kunos have been super generous with DLC pricing!

mrsmr2

That said Kunos have been super generous with DLC pricing!

At the expenses of earlier adopters. One of things that bugs me with Kunos is how they've drastically cut the price of the game in the last year.

Today, someone can pay slightly less than I paid for the game and Dream Pack 1and get the game and the three dream packs. Considering I bought the base game in a sale, and DP1 in the 'first week of release sale', that's quite irritating. If I'd bought them at full price I'd have paid a lot more, and still have less content.

This isn't a moan about sale prices, it's about how the previous sale prices are more expensive than the current full price. A weird situation but Kunos have had weird situations ever since they started.

[/feel better now :) ]

At the expenses of earlier adopters. One of things that bugs me with Kunos is how they've drastically cut the price of the game in the last year.

Today, someone can pay slightly less than I paid for the game and Dream Pack 1and get the game and the three dream packs. Considering I bought the base game in a sale, and DP1 in the 'first week of release sale', that's quite irritating. If I'd bought them at full price I'd have paid a lot more, and still have less content.

This isn't a moan about sale prices, it's about how the previous sale prices are more expensive than the current full price. A weird situation but Kunos have had weird situations ever since they started.

[/feel better now :) ]

I don't get it. Are you slightly soured because they don't keep the full price high up at day1 price level and not only go down for sales? The console version could be bought between 30-35€ (that includes the dream packs but not even the PC free cars) almost anywhere only 5 weeks after release! I remember seeing AC for 21€ while it was still in early access as well, it's almost 2 years out now and the undiscounted standard price without DLC is still 30€, same as Project CARS which is the newer game (though pCARS was down to 14€ already, AC was never under 19.99€). I can't see anything unusual.
Maybe if there hadn't been any "plus dreampacks" before the "plus ALL THREE dreampacks"-edition and they had called that one the GOTY edition, you feel different about the pricing?!??
That AC is still supported and the devs aren't concentrating on an AC2 yet maybe adds to your weird-pricing feel... but that's just a win-win in my opinion.

Maybe we all should make peace with games being worthless (materialistically speaking) after mere weeks these days. The PS4 version of DOOM was $19.99 at Gamespot and Amazon (I think even on PSfN in a flash sale) not even 3 months after release. Prices go down and FAST. It's not like buying a Porsche
damn

mrsmr2

Well, AC was strange. It was a lower price for ages while it was in Early Access, and Kunos said it would go up in price once it left EA. They did do this, and it was more expensive for about a year.

Then, the base price went from £35 to £22.99 in the UK. And base plus all three Dream Packs bundle is £29.99. The £29.99 is less than I paid for the base and DP1 - and mine were bought during sales.

Like I say, this is not a case of moaning about the odd sale here and there, this is where the current full price is cheaper than previous sale prices. It's a worse situation than a typical GOTY scenario where they throw in the DLC because in this case, the GOTY is cheaper than the old base price.

It's not the end of the world but it certainly makes me think twice about buying any further DLC.

a little ashamed for my posting spree, but

1) I was totally prepared to pay 30 bucks for the 3 Porsche DLCs (I paid 20 for the FM6 Porsche DLC, after having bought many of them as DLC in FH2 and not being to happy with the feel of them), so 15€ for Porsches that will probably drive and feel a lot better and keeping the free content for everyone alive and flowing with that investment is just fantastic for me.

2) been driving some more of the Automobilista Brit pack today and I take back what I said about the non-season pack /single-DLC price, it's totally worth 20, but just looking at the list of contents, I wouldn't have known. The tracks *feel* fantastic, fantastic surface detail and just the time and fun I'll get out of the Caterham Seven 360R would have been worth the man.

2a) I think the road version of the Ultima was supposed to have 3 gears but building it with a 5-speed gearbox was cheaper... the first 2 gears are entirely useless in that car ;D

2b) You know how, coming from a long straight, you usually brake hard and then ease off the brake pedal?? It's the other way round in the Caterhams and you really feel it here unlike in the other games I've driven Caterhams in: So. much. LIFT! ...just awesome

TJP

Well, AC was strange. It was a lower price for ages while it was in Early Access, and Kunos said it would go up in price once it left EA. They did do this, and it was more expensive for about a year.
Kunos also lowered the cost of the EA version after they said they weren't going to in an interview on Race Department. It's the only time Kunos seriously fucked me off in the entire time I've owned AC, even back to the days you needed the netKar Pro key to access the alpha version.

Branson

For some reason AC is one of the only big PC sims I could never get into. Love iRacing, AMS, rFactor, PC was ok, Dirt Rally is fun. AC just never grabbed me. Maybe they've updated it recently and it's different but I'm not sure what it was about it.

Latimer

Banned
For some reason AC is one of the only big PC sims I could never get into. Love iRacing, AMS, rFactor, PC was ok, Dirt Rally is fun. AC just never grabbed me. Maybe they've updated it recently and it's different but I'm not sure what it was about it.

Best driving feel of the lot imo.

Dave_6

The other two Porsche DLC packs found in the Steam database (courtesy of the AC forums)

PORSCHE PACK 2

Release: 22th of November

Edit: These cars are included

Porsche 911 GT3 RS
Porsche 718 Spyder RS
Porsche Cayman GT4
Porsche 718 Boxster S Manual Transmission
Porsche 718 Boxster S PDK
Porsche 919 Hybrid 2015
Porsche 911 GT1
Porsche 962c long tail
Porsche 962c short tail

PORSCHE PACK 3

Release: 20th December

Cars:
Porsche 911 GT3 Cup 2017
Porsche 911 GT3 RSR 2017
Porsche 911 GT3 R 2015
Porsche 919 Hybrid 2016
Porsche 908 LH
Porsche 917 K
Porsche 911 R

Watevaman

I like the whole road, super/race, and historic variety in each pack.

My gf's favorite car is the older 911 (don't know the chassis number) so even her and her video game hating ways might enjoy this.

Let's also remember that with the Porsche DLC also comes the v1.9 update, bringing the 60's silverstone track and the free Porsche Panamera (which I'm looking forward to)

paskowitz

The other two Porsche DLC packs found in the Steam database (courtesy of the AC forums)

PORSCHE PACK 2

Release: 22th of November

Edit: These cars are included

Porsche 911 GT3 RS
Porsche 718 Spyder RS
Porsche Cayman GT4
Porsche 718 Boxster S Manual Transmission
Porsche 718 Boxster S PDK
Porsche 919 Hybrid 2015
Porsche 911 GT1
Porsche 962c long tail
Porsche 962c short tail

PORSCHE PACK 3

Release: 20th December

Cars:
Porsche 911 GT3 Cup 2017
Porsche 911 GT3 RSR 2017
Porsche 911 GT3 R 2015
Porsche 919 Hybrid 2016
Porsche 908 LH
Porsche 917 K
Porsche 911 R

Right into my veins!

No 959 vs. F40 duel, no 991 based AWD cars and no transaxle Porsches (924, 928, 944, 968), which is sad for me, my father had 3 different 944s when I was in primary school, but I'll live.

I count 23 listed cars, 3 are free, makes 26, Kunos said it would be 25.
I'd hope they'd count "manual/PDK", "Kurzheck/Langheck" as one, but then it would be 24... also, Cayman S, Cayman GT4 Clubsport and Cayman GT4? Well, that's ok to count them as 3... I just have to accommodate to "no transaxle Porsches" in order to be hyped again, I guess. It's gonna be fine. Even for 10 Porsches, I would have been ok to pay 15€, it's stupid to be upset. Some older 911s would have been... damn, alright, I'll shut up.

Edit: On my last sentence: I just realized that the December 911 R might be the 1967 and not the 2015 version, which would be awesome.

vanty

Disappointing there is stuff like a Boxster when there's already a Cayman but no 959 or Carrera GT. I'm still happy with it though.

No 959 vs. F40 duel, no 991 based AWD cars and no transaxle Porsches (924, 928, 944, 968), which is sad for me, my father had 3 different 944s when I was in primary school, but I'll live.

I count 23 listed cars, 3 are free, makes 26, Kunos said it would be 25.
I'd hope they'd count "manual/PDK", "Kurzheck/Langheck" as one, but then it would be 24... also, Cayman S, Cayman GT4 Clubsport and Cayman GT4? Well, that's ok to count them as 3... I just have to accommodate to "no transaxle Porsches" in order to be hyped again, I guess. It's gonna be fine. Even for 10 Porsches, I would have been ok to pay 15€, it's stupid to be upset. Some older 911s would have been... damn, alright, I'll shut up.
I noticed that too, they PD'ed the car list there to increase car count sorta

Dave_6

Doesn't mean that there can't be any more Porsches added after all these release. Just like there have been other Ferraris released after the initial ones.

Changelog for V1.9 Update, DLC is up on Steam
Changelog:
- New Porsche 991 Carrera S (Porsche Pack #1 DLC)
- New Porsche 918 Spyder (Porsche Pack #1 DLC)
- New Porsche 718 Cayman S (Porsche Pack #1 DLC)
- New Porsche 917/30 CanAm 1973 (Porsche Pack #1 DLC)
- New Porsche 911 Carrera RSR 3.0 1974 (Porsche Pack #1 DLC)
- New Porsche Cayman GT4 Clubsport (Porsche Pack #1 DLC)
- New Porsche 935/78 Moby Dick 1978 (Porsche Pack #1 DLC)
- New Porsche Panamera G2 Turbo
- New Silverstone 1967 historic track
- Added session time/laps on the top of the screen (laps are the leader ones)
- Now race is over when the car complete its lap and the leader has finished his last one
- Added dynamic ARB
- Fixed possible collision still active on race restart
- Added ERS recharge digital display
- Improved precision on all digital leds
- GT3 cars use tire model v10.
- Fixed TC sound distortion when triggered for the first time
- New camber grip variation formula (Thank You Nao!)
- Simplified DirectX 11 initialization
- Added official "Sparco" license to Assetto Corsa
- Added Ballast system through Ballast App (single player only)
- Added new F9 vertical layouts
- Added new driver + crew texture system
- Added new personal driver texture
- Fixed virtual mirrors rendered when not necessary
- Fixed Kers and ERS able to rev in neutral and reverse gear and overrev the engine
- Improved FFB App UI, so label is readable by VR users
- Added multiplayer splits
- Added Time Table leaderboard mode: this includes realtime splits and delta
- Added Fmod optimizations
- Added Anti-Wrecker protection
- Fixed AI "flapping" DRS in traffic
- Improved autoshifter
- Improved laptimes board by adding splits and tyre compound
- Fixed backfire animation freezing after session change
- Fixed leaderboard history in multiplayer
- Added voting spam protection
- horizon locked view removed from Bumper camera
- Delta App reviewed
- Fixed possible flickering in case of engine stall
- Added backfire animation to Zonda R
- python new functions and members
- getCarTyreCompound(carid)
- Tyre blister and grain are now tied to the "Wear" settings and not "Damage". Wear=0 will turn off graining and blistering simulation
- Fmod updated to 1.08.12
- Updated SDK for modders
- Removed reverb snapshot in the Fmod project
- General audio engine code cleaning and bug fixing
- Vastly improved Fmod resource usage
- Voice stealing is now properly managed by code, so the sound mods will follow the same behaviour of the original sound banks
- Fixed listener priority for cars in pits. They don't steal the priority anymore
- Amount of events instances are now properly limited in order to keep proper volume range and overall performace improvement
- Overall volume balance
- 7.1 surround should now work as expected (on all platforms)
- Fixed audio initialization pop when the session starts
- Stereo imaging now works as expected
- Fixed ambience sound affected by reverb zones
- Reworked reverb logic: when triggered onboard, the reverb is given by the exterior engine
- Reworked distance attenuations for enhanced experience (e.g. engine_int raised to 350 meters)
- Reworked wind curves: now the wind volume is related to the air pressure (i.e. player car will hear turbulence when in draft and AP value goes below 1.00)
- Reworked surfaces audio curves
- Reworked skids logic
- Fixed skids positional sound
- New exterior skids sound
- Set tyre skid entry point to 100 in audio.ini (set what you prefer in the audio options)
- Reworked code management for traction control and limiter events
- Tweaked wind and limiter sound emitter position in dashboard camera
- Audio compressor on engine_ext event now works as expected when many cars are involved
- Surfaces, crashes and skids are now properly audible in chase and track cameras
- Opponents volume now honours F1 cameras. For track/free cameras it is set to max (optimum for replays, broadcasting etc.)
- Fixed load/coast smooth for AIs and multiplayer
- Fixed transmission smooth and pitch for multiplayer opponents
- Engine volume setting is now related to the player/focused car
- When driving, some opponents events are now audible (e.g. skids, surfaces and gear shifts if available)
- Surfaces events are now properly cached. This fixes stuttering when a surface event is triggered for the first time and should limit "digital clicks"
- Fixed multiplayer opponent surfaces sound when it leaves instantly (e.g acs proces kill/crash) while driving on sand/kerb/etc...
- New dirt sound effects
- New brake squeal for some "old" cars
- Added audio fade when track camera changes
- Added [VERSION] section in audio.ini
- Removed [LATENCY] section in audio.ini (managed by FMod itself now) and from the GUI
- Slightly modified gear grind sound
- Fixed wrong listener position for track and car cameras in some situations
- added DRL on LaFerrari, Mclaren P1, Nissan 370Z Nismo, Nissan GTR and Ford Mustang
- added templates for Porsche Vol. 1 cars
- fixed excessive brake light brightness on Ford Mustang
- minor graphics fixes on Triple Pack cars
- [Modding] added harvest series function in digital_instruments [KERS_RECHARGE_SERIE]
- [Modding] added 918 Spyder-style full power usage series function in digital_instruments [POWER_918]
- Added PACKER_RANGE_HF and PACKER_RANGE_HR for heave springs packer settings in setup.ini
- Packers now use bump stop rates

mrsmr2

"Tyre blister and grain are now tied to the "Wear" settings and not "Damage". Wear=0 will turn off graining and blistering simulation."

Have they finally separated damage from tyre wear?

That's the best feature in that list :)

Zeth

$15 for all three is actually insane. I'd be pretty happy to pay $15 for today's pack. But I enjoy modern road cars much more than most sim racers apparently - they're great to throw around.

Moby Dick and the Can Am car - haven't even scratched the surface of figuring out how to drive them. Daunting. The Clubsport seems like probably the best one-make car in AC so far - and I love the 235i. RSR is exactly what I wanted from a vintage 911. Handles a bit like the yellowbird, only perfectly balanced in comparison.

TJP

$15 for all three packs is a steal. I was half expecting each pack to be like $10.
It really is amazing value! No wonder the sim is as popular as it is; sublime FFB, great driving model and really well priced DLC.

Can't wait to drive a few of the cars once I have time.

vanty

The 917 makes the Mercedes Sauber thing feel like an MX-5. Second gear might as well redline at 5k since it's so crazy over that ahah.

The 935 though drives really nice. 850hp but seems easier to drive than the F40 let alone anything else with serious turbo power.

The old RSR is just amazing.

Top Bottom