• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims Thread

I remember buying the rFactor 2 beta years ago (unless I dreamt it or was something else). Did ISI not 'reward' those buyers with access to the full game?

Tbh I'm super sketchy on the whole thing and haven't followed rF2 developments for ages so I could be talking shit.

I'll just buy the one-year sub otherwise.

rF2 has had this online sub thing from the very beginning. The base game comes (and came) with a one year sub, so it's easy to miss what's going on.

For sure putting multiplayer behind a paywall hurts the open server community, but if you're there with a purpose (league racing) then the small yearly cost for multi access isn't a big deal.

Everyone does some sort of post-purchase revenue stream, so I have no qualms. However, I believe paid DLC is less intrusive, and much more widely accepted. ISI have chosen this route instead, and in fact doubled down on it at this Steam crossroads. Fair enough. Not what I would have done, but OK.

Shaneus

As you can see from my screen grab, my vote went to the hairy chested, crumpet loving 60's and 70's and the awesome cars the era spawned.

To think we could have raced the 917 against the 512 and Lola...
Maybe there's a way to get it in there. Or given it's high polling, they'll do that next rather than conducting another poll.

TJP

Maybe there's a way to get it in there. Or given it's high polling, they'll do that next rather than conducting another poll.
I doubt it. I believe the Porsche GT3 along with the new track will be the final content additons for SCE. Of course we still have wing flex, dynamic track and all the other additions to come as well ;)

TJP, you seem to be a dev or something, will R3e receive updates to the AI? I am trying to play a career and the adaptive AI will simply bump me off the track at random. Really annoying. I love the racing itself, maybe my favorite sim experience at this point.

edit: Mostly playing DTM 2014.

iRacing just added a bunch of their outdated content to the base package:

We are adding eight additional laser-scanned cars and tracks to our base level package, free of charge. New and current members will now receive a bonus of five additional cars and three additional tracks as part of their membership. The additions bring the amount of free content to a total of 12 cars and 13 tracks with a total of 28 different track configurations.

The NASCAR Truck Series Chevrolet Silverado circa 2013, NASCAR Sprint Cup Chevrolet Impala COT circa 2013 , NASCAR Nationwide Chevrolet Impala circa 2011, V8 Supercar Ford Falcon circa 2012 and the Indycar Dallara circa 2011 will be added to our base package.

All members will also have Concord Speedway, Daytona International Speedway road and oval course (circa 2007) and Phoenix International Raceway road and oval(circa 200 added.

In addition to the bonus content, we have launched two new racing series – the Dallara Dash featuring the Indycar at Phoenix, Charlotte and Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca and the Pickup Cup featuring the NASCAR Chevrolet Silverado at Daytona, Phoenix and Charlotte. These ‘fun’ series will be open to all iRacers, regardless of license level and are scheduled to begin immediately.

Jamesways

TJP, you seem to be a dev or something, will R3e receive updates to the AI? I am trying to play a career and the adaptive AI will simply bump me off the track at random. Really annoying. I love the racing itself, maybe my favorite sim experience at this point.

He's not a dev, he's sleeping with them to get all the juicy insider secrets!

Or he's a tester in the qa side.

But pretty sure he's sleeping with them. You know, for us. To share the knowledge.

:p

TJP

Jamesways and I go a way back and he knows I've been a tester for nearly 4 years 8) Been a part of RaceRoom from its early days as a Forza clone to a highly accurate sim worthy of being considered one of the best available.

AI is being overhauled; DTM 2015 is the focus and it's very much better all-round. Sector 3 are aware of the AI being less than what it could be, the adaptive AI takes a lot work to get right whereas the isimotor 2 AI has its own strength and weakness, even after extensive fettling.

Hopefully you'll find out soon whether the AI is better ;)

Forgot to add the graphics engine has been optimised since the last build and should run much better, even with the settings cranked up.

Jamesways and I go a way back and he knows I've been a tester for nearly 4 years 8) Been a part of RaceRoom from its early days as a Forza clone to a highly accurate sim worthy of being considered one of the best available.

AI is being overhauled; DTM 2015 is the focus and it's very much better all-round. Sector 3 are aware of the AI being less than what it could be, the adaptive AI takes a lot work to get right whereas the isimotor 2 AI has its own strength and weakness, even after extensive fettling.

Hopefully you'll find out soon whether the AI is better ;)

Forgot to add the graphics engine has been optimised since the last build and should run much better, even with the settings cranked up.

He's not a dev, he's sleeping with them to get all the juicy insider secrets!

Or he's a tester in the qa side.

But pretty sure he's sleeping with them. You know, for us. To share the knowledge.

:p

Thanks guys! :D
Looking forward to 2015 for sure.

Spookie

Next week as in week starting 26th or week starting 19th? I really want to get back in to RRE. I need my GT fix, getting a little tired of touring cars on GSCE. I don't fancy using mods on rFactor 2 (not to mention all their tracks are incredibly low poly).

TJP

Changelog here: https://forum.sector3studios.com/index.php?threads/20-10-2015-raceroom-has-been-updated.3122/

Changelog:

Game:
Added new content that will be released very soon.
Downshift prevention logic implemented. Sequential gearbox will refuse to downshift if revs are going to end up above the limiter. H-Pattern gearbox will try and engage the gear and fail until revs are lower.
Tyres of the DTM 2015 cars will pick up Dirt & Gravel when driving off-track, reducing grip on the affected tyres until they’re clean again. Game will play a sound effect of pebbles hitting the car body that will reduce as tyres become clean again.
Added new things in Shared Memory block. Check our forum for details and link to updated github rep.
Removed exclusivity of certain Experiences. All content is now accessible and usable in the main R3E.
Added a new argument “-disableReplay” that can be added in Launch options on steam to disable replay recording.
Fixed an issue where you start in the wrong car when number of cars is more than the visible cars set in options.
Fixed an issue with not being able to select each car when number of cars is more than the visible cars set in options.
Improved random grid position so it’s now really random.
Implemented a new shadow system that improves performance and visuals.
Fixed an issue with time left where it was returning the session duration if the session hadn’t started yet.
Fixed an issue with drivetrain wobbling out of control when in Novice or when TC is 100%
Fixed so the shifts without the clutch in semiautomatic transmissions are damage free.
Fixed an issue in audio where the coast backfire sound wasn’t stopping in some cases.
Fixed an issue with cars behaving jerky in novice mode by smoothening the brake and throttle changes when brake assist is applied.
Fixed an issue with the TV cameras where you could see a couple of seconds of a wrong one.when switching to TV Cam.
Allowed use of handbrake regardless of track being hillclimb or not
Various HUD tweaks on areas where text would often not fit the given frame/field.
Optimized motion blur
Made changes how frequency and damping are affected by gear ratios, to increase oscillation effect in higher gears
Removed oscillation from differential distribution on driven wheels, to normalize torque output a bit
Added an option to load opponent cockpits (Video/Custom Settings)
Reverted a drivetrain tweak that was done to differential torque
Fixed an issue where the order on the left hand side of position bar was reversed.
Fixed an issue where the shortened names were being used despite having enough space for it in the position bar.
Tweaked G25 & G27 FFB values in default profiles.
Fixed DRS animation not working after rewinding in replays.
Fixed game video playback issues that were causing the experience menus to get slow and sluggish after a while.
Fixed an issue where the players could not resume their lap if they opened the pause menu after session timer reached 0.

Multiplayer:
Added full name, total time, finish status and lap information such as time, position and pit stop status to race result logs.
Fixed a crash that occurred to everyone in the race if one of the participants had a name longer than 32 characters which was exceeding the buffer and causing issues in replay creation.
Fixed an issue with players not seeing each other outside of P2P zone.
Fixed mp dedi front end not loading properly on Internet Explorer.

Audio & Physics & AI & Camera:

Aquila CR 1 Sports GT:
Physics update, now mounted with a 4.0L V8 BMW M60 engine

Silhouette Class:
Physics update, now have actual Silhouette specs
Canhard R51: 3.5L V6 normally aspirated (New sound!)
Canhard R52: 2.5L Inline-5 Turbo charged
Cougar C14-1: 1.8L Inline-4 Turbo charged
Cougar C14-2: 3.0L V6 Turbo charged

BMW M1 Procar;
Massive physics update

GTR3 Class:
Massive physics update

AUDI 90 QUATTRO:
External sounds improved and pitch note increased

Hockenheim:
Merged cut rules between amateur, novice and get real
Tuned AI speed for latest code changes
Fixed bad AI behaviour in the exit of hairpin

Norisring:
Tweaked AI logic to limit wall-hitting behavior
A selection of cars have received additional onboard cameras (accessible with HOME key)

Art

Tracks:

Zolder:
reduced bumps

Hockenheimring:
Curbs tweaked and adjusted (they were way too high)
Gravel texture update
Ravenol is now the sponsor on the oil bottle on pit building
Fixed some fences clipping into ground
Fixed missing collisions with fence between T12-13 and also at entry of pitlane

Spa-Francorchamps:
Removed unsafe escape road in the middle of the Raidillon
Adjusted and added some missing road entries/runoffs and some green curbs.
Tweaked height of some curbs.
Added marshals at pit entry
Tweaked blend stripes.
Various bug fixes and changes

Paul Ricard:
Some performance boost by fixing the 2d audience that was casting shadows and optimizing some meshes. Also fixed some steel fence collisions

Moscow:
Performance optimization

Cars:
Silhouette class: New colors
Mercedes C63 DTM 2015: Added Dekra sticker on side rear windows
Corvette Greenwood: Fixes to visual damage model
Nissan Silvia: Fixed visuals for front brake calipers
Audi V8 DTM: Fixed tail lights
Volvo 240: Filled some hole in cockpit
BMW 635 CSI: Hip replacement for the driver so his feet don’t clip through the floor
Citroen C Elysee 2014: Side mirrors UV’s were not straight

Portal & Backend:
Default livery is no longer forced upon purchase. Player can now choose a livery to go with the car.
Cleared all the leaderboard due to physics changes and downshift prevention implementation.
Removed season passes from portal and the checks associated with them.
Removed Pixlr screenshot editing tool.
Changed so that all the external URL’s are opened externally (new tab in a browser, steam browser in game).
Shortened the registration form by removing some fields.
Various fixes to the championship in portal.
Fixed a small exploit that allowed players to use an unpurchased car after leaving test drive.
Fixed user not getting redirected from the experience after a competition, if he/she did not own the experience.
Fixed horizontal scrollbar appearing on purchase popups.
Added subcategories in cart.
Tidied up purchased content page.

Lot's of great changes there. I'm glad they seemed to give us the GT Masters physics update before the new pack has come out. I take "Massive physics update" to mean that anyway.

I'll give it a go here shortly.

TJP

As already stated, all physics & tyre changes come straight from ADAC and DTM drivers feedback. The changes are awesome and change R3E is a highly positive manner.

M1 Procar posts laptimes less than a second off real world times in the hands of the fastest Sector 3 guys.

Looking forward to reading the feedback here and elsewhere. Not expecting 100% glowing praise but people should see steps forward in driving feel and authenticity.

TJP

This is important for the rF2 onto Steam move: http://rfactor.net/web/2015/10/13/repackaged-content-to-replace-multi-cmps/

ISI said:
Unfortunately we’re not going to have enough time to get all our car content updated before we’d like to schedule the Steam release of rFactor 2, so we have repackaged the cars that were Multi-CMPs. There are no other changes to them. This allows for this content to be downloadable via the launcher package icon, and tidies up a few things we needed to prior to that Steam release within the next few weeks.

Edit: Seems the penny has finally dropped at ISI! Two notorious anti-Assetto Corsa/pro-rF2 trolls must finally be on notice because Tim has tweeted:

https://twitter.com/twhtly said:
Hate devs getting attacked by fans of another product. You don't do our product any favors 'defending' it by attacking. Run what you like.

You know the best way to make sure nobody ever likes what you like? Attack them for liking what they like.

Seriously considering dumping people from our forum that I see being abusive to other devs on theirs. Yeah.
About.F*cking.Time.

I wasn't too enthused when I tried the R3E update last night - the GT3 cars had improved but not to the level I was hoping for. Some vagueness in the steering and feedback remains.

But DTM 2015 just unlocked, and after just a couple of corners a large grin quickly formed on my face. This is heaps better.

Too bad Ekkel is leaving. Dude has been around forever.

I picked up DTM 2015. I'm excited to give it workout. Glad to hear it's smile inducing :)

I spent most of my night fighting the good fight against the ffb settings, which I'm not sure I can say enough hamstrings the game badly. Thankfully I got to a place which I can live with a little help from our man, Lines. It's a much different direction than I've gone before, yielding perhaps the best results I've gotten so far. It's still a giant mess however, and needs to be torn down.

The GT3 update, well... they may have put a massive amount of work into it, but the results are pretty subtle. I really need to put some more time into driving with my finalized ffb before getting into specifics with the handling.

Zeth

Has Raceroom FFB changed enough that I should reassess my settings? Need to check out the new stuff - probably buy the DTM pack.

Is ADAC 2014 updated or is it just the GTR3 stuff specifically?

TJP

Awwww... where is he going?

What a great guy.
Jay hasn't said where he'll end up. Going to Paris to be a producer leads me to believe he's gotten a job with the WRC team who already have at least two long term ex-SimBin/Sector 3 empolyees.

Sucks that he's going as I know one series he was working hard to secure and it would actually drive the active player numbers up because everyone wants this series with all the tracks.

TJP

I wasn't too enthused when I tried the R3E update last night - the GT3 cars had improved but not to the level I was hoping for. Some vagueness in the steering and feedback remains.

But DTM 2015 just unlocked, and after just a couple of corners a large grin quickly formed on my face. This is heaps better.
Surprised the GT3 cars haven't been more widely liked as the changes come from the thoughts of the 2014 ADAC champion.

The DTM 2015 cars are sublime, no question. Spengler and Juncadella gave Sector 3 as much time and feedback as they could to improve the DTM Experience. The ADAC 2015 should be on the same level.

I picked up DTM 2015. I'm excited to give it workout. Glad to hear it's smile inducing :)

I spent most of my night fighting the good fight against the ffb settings, which I'm not sure I can say enough hamstrings the game badly. Thankfully I got to a place which I can live with a little help from our man, Lines. <snip> It's still a giant mess however, and needs to be torn down.
The FFB is still an ongoing issue be it in public or behind the scenes. Some testers love the new FFB, especially those with the common G series wheels however many don't. My own thoughts remain the same: use the RealFeel plugin like SCE does and everything withe the FFB will be golden.

Only Sector 3 know what they've done to the physics engine to have these issues with the FFB; we were told only 20% of the original ISImotor 2 code remains. Either way, if you own a G series wheel, it's what Spengler used so his feedback is why the FFB feels the way it does for the 2015 DTM Experience.

Shaneus

Jay hasn't said where he'll end up. Going to Paris to be a producer leads me to believe he's gotten a job with the WRC team who already have at least two long term ex-SimBin/Sector 3 empolyees.

Sucks that he's going as I know one series he was working hard to secure and it would actually drive the active player numbers up because everyone wants this series with all the tracks.
So rumors of Milestone getting the license back = dead?

TJP

So rumors of Milestone getting the license back = dead?
Rumours are the WRC licence will stay with Kylotonn for now. WRC 5 was developed in just 12 months and it even though it's not as polished as Dirt Rally, it is better than anything Milestone did with WRC's 1-4. Who knows, perhaps Milestone will buck the trend and Sébastien Loeb Rally Evo will be great. Milestone have the MotoGP licence and even then that should be taken away from them.

[Rant]
Nothing has changed in their games for the entire time they've had either MotoGP and/or the World Superbike licences. To be blunt, Milestone are completely stuck in a rut with no idea on how to make an engaging sim, simcade or arcade racer. The best 'modern' MotoGP game remains MotoGP '10/'11 with a good art design & a 4XMSAA equipped graphics engine, decent 'simcade' physics that were more accurate in terms of laptimes than any Milestone game, full weather effects and the game ran at 60fps on the Xbox 360 and PS3 with a full field of bikes on screen. Plus the career mode aped the Grid career mode ;)

Milestone's MotoGP/SBK games run at 30fps on console, look average outside of the photo mode, have completely irratic frame rates on the PC since Milestone adopted the use of the Yebis 2 post-processing filters* which is like polishing a turd and rolling it in glitter. All the crucial elements such as gameplay and rider creation remains largely unchanged from the SBK series which ceased production in 2012. SBK 2001 remains the best thing Milestone have ever made which as someone who used to buy all of their games (I stopped after MotoGP '13), it pains me to point this out.[/rant]

*Kunos use the same software in Assetto Corsa however that sim looks okay with or without them turned on.

TJP

Say what you want about iRacing - be it ranging from the physics or tyre modelling to the pricing model - I think it's the most realisitic looking sim available on PC in regards to the colour palette and overall look.

Here is iRacing's Nurburgring video presentation posted on October 21st: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtX0uiLDt1c

How did I miss Spa 66 and Historic Monaco being released for rf2 last week? I'm seven whole days behind the news!

Why is that racing historic cars on modern circuits feels fine, but modern cars on historic circuits feels so very wrong? I guess because the former is possible but the later requires time travel?
About.F*cking.Time.
I don't read the ISI/Kunos/SMS forums much these days, what happened?
Here is iRacing's Nurburgring video presentation posted on October 21st: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtX0uiLDt1c
Give me some AI and I'll be all over iRacing (never going to happen)

Shaneus

*Kunos use the same software in Assetto Corsa however that sim looks okay with or without them turned on.
Maybe they only work their best when their backs are against the wall and Evo might be okay. But yeah, I don't think it's a bad thing that they don't have the license.

Not that a WRC license means dick anyway, look at Dirt. Just need the cars.

TJP

How did I miss Spa 66 and Historic Monaco being released for rf2 last week? I'm seven whole days behind the news!
Also check the rF2 thread for more information; there are some package updates that need to be done prior to the Steam changeover should you choose to do so.

Why is that racing historic cars on modern circuits feels fine, but modern cars on historic circuits feels so very wrong? I guess because the former is possible but the later requires time travel?
It's personal preferences I guess. I have no problems with either situation to be honest. The biggest issue for any sim developer is getting the feel and grip of older cars and their lack of aero, lack of mechanical grip and cross ply tyres into a modern simulation engine. It can be done but it's a lot more challenging then replicating a modern GT car.

I don't read the ISI/Kunos/SMS forums much these days, what happened?
Not much, just internet drama. From what I can tell, two people who've aligned themselves with ISI and rF2 spend a vast amount of their time pouring over the shortcomings of Assetto Corsa. Tim Weatley has likely seen the havoc this has created on the rF2 forums, VirtualR, Bsimracing and the AC Steam forums and has had enough.

Give me some AI and I'll be all over iRacing (never going to happen)
True that. I don't have time to learn the nuances of iRacing or rise up the rankings of online comps and would love some laid back racing against AI instead of hot lapping; alas it'll never happen.

Why would you want to race AI when you can race humans?
Sadly, work/life means finding long uninterrupted periods of time for gaming is a rare occurrence. The main feature I look for in a game is a pause button ;)

Two people who've aligned themselves with ISI and rF2 spend a vast amount of their time pouring over the shortcomings of Assetto Corsa
I'm guessing Hexagram and Restrictor? They're certainly a little more pro rF2 than most.

Spookie

Why would you want to race AI when you can race humans?

If you're like me you can only play at certain times of the day, so having to wait for a race to start isn't going to happen. :/

Also if AI ruin your race at lap one you can restart and not have wasted your time.

TJP

I'm guessing Hexagram and Restrictor? They're certainly a little more pro rF2 than most.
The names are close enough; sad thing is they have some valid points about AC however their post history and obnoxious manner turn people away from rF2.

Jamesways

Rumours are the WRC licence will stay with Kylotonn for now. WRC 5 was developed in just 12 months and it even though it's not as polished as Dirt Rally, it is better than anything Milestone did with WRC's 1-4. Who knows, perhaps Milestone will buck the trend and Sébastien Loeb Rally Evo will be great. Milestone have the MotoGP licence and even then that should be taken away from them.

[Rant]
Nothing has changed in their games for the entire time they've had either MotoGP and/or the World Superbike licences. To be blunt, Milestone are completely stuck in a rut with no idea on how to make an engaging sim, simcade or arcade racer. The best 'modern' MotoGP game remains MotoGP '10/'11 with a good art design & a 4XMSAA equipped graphics engine, decent 'simcade' physics that were more accurate in terms of laptimes than any Milestone game, full weather effects and the game ran at 60fps on the Xbox 360 and PS3 with a full field of bikes on screen. Plus the career mode aped the Grid career mode ;)

Milestone's MotoGP/SBK games run at 30fps on console, look average outside of the photo mode, have completely irratic frame rates on the PC since Milestone adopted the use of the Yebis 2 post-processing filters* which is like polishing a turd and rolling it in glitter. All the crucial elements such as gameplay and rider creation remains largely unchanged from the SBK series which ceased production in 2012. SBK 2001 remains the best thing Milestone have ever made which as someone who used to buy all of their games (I stopped after MotoGP '13), it pains me to point this out.[/rant]

To go back to this rant, as one of the biggest Milestone game fans on this board, I completely agree.

The more I play WRC5 the more impressed I am. It definitely is an improvement on Milestone's games. While I enjoyed them, the cut/paste sections of the stages bothered me. In fact, several of the stage designs always bothered me. Some just seemed out of place, like they wouldn't exist in the real world. A bit too video-gamey for lack of a better term. I found the physics and gameplay fun, and the Kylotonn iteration is just as fun if not more in that regard. I'm looking forward to seeing the series continue and improve next year.

SLRE looks like it's shaping up nicely, although the graphics look a bit rough IMO. But that's to be expected with their games and their small team/dev costs and par for the course for every release. After enjoying WRC 5, I have to say I'm not blown away by the SLRE trailer.

And about the MotoGP/SBK games, I am a big fan, but TJP is absolutely spot on about the lack of innovation and improvement each year. Monumental did a hell of a job with MotoGP 10/11, better graphics, better frame rate, better career. It's still a very enjoyable game.
I do think 15 is the best Milestone MotoGP game, but even then some of the graphics and trackside details are very last gen, nothing has changed on the rider animations in years, and the only new physics twist is the back end sliding out with a tendency to wobble changing from first to second gear. Other than that, pretty much the same game with some new lighting effects. SBK games they seemed to have been rehashed even worse than the MotoGP series from 08.

TJP

Look, it's us again:
StatlerandWaldorf%282%29.JPG

To go back to this rant, as one of the biggest Milestone game fans on this board, I completely agree.
From one grump to another, thanks.

SLRE looks like it's shaping up nicely, although the graphics look a bit rough IMO. But that's to be expected with their games and their small team/dev costs and par for the course for every release. After enjoying WRC 5, I have to say I'm not blown away by the SLRE trailer.
I'd be delighted for Milestone to make another great game, I fear they'll live up to current expectations. Hope Team VVV get some hands-on time soon.

And about the MotoGP/SBK games, I am a big fan, but TJP is absolutely spot on about the lack of innovation and improvement each year. Monumental did a hell of a job with MotoGP 10/11, better graphics, better frame rate, better career. It's still a very enjoyable game.
I recall the Capcom forums being dominated by a couple of people who spent their time bashing Monumental for not making 'a full sim' then raving about the good old days of MotoGP '07 whereby powersliding around every corner like a drifting expert was the fastest way to lap.

MotoGP '10/'11 was a great game that was sunk by the '09/'10 effort (let's be honest, it wasn't close to being bad) and a small community unwilling to see past their own needs & wants. Now look at what they've got to play ;)

Shaneus

The more I play WRC5 the more impressed I am. It definitely is an improvement on Milestone's games. While I enjoyed them, the cut/paste sections of the stages bothered me. In fact, several of the stage designs always bothered me. Some just seemed out of place, like they wouldn't exist in the real world. A bit too video-gamey for lack of a better term. I found the physics and gameplay fun, and the Kylotonn iteration is just as fun if not more in that regard. I'm looking forward to seeing the series continue and improve next year.
How would you compare it to Dirt Rally?

Also, I now have an R9 280X. I thought my 5850/5970 combo was holding up really well, but jesus it's nice to play games at full noise without worrying about microstutter. Never going multi-GPU ever again.

Ark

I really need to stop taking breaks from iRacing. My friend just got into it so I've gotten back into it too and after a few months away I'm rusty again. Same old process. Jumped into two races of the IMSA series in the new Corvette C7 DP and span it twice on the exit of Ascari at Monza because of that god damn sausage curb.

The first time I managed to recover and finish the race, but the second time I totalled my car :(. The car itself is a lot of fun though, but I think I'll head back to GT3 tomorrow and give that a try; when all else fails just go back to what you know best, right?

TJP

How would you compare it to Dirt Rally?
Bare in mind WRC5 was developed in 12 months with several ex-SimBin/Sector 3 and Eden Games dev's, here is Mark Reynold's quote from Race Department:

Physics & AI Programmer @ Kylotonn Games said:
I would save your money if you are expecting full on simulation and cutting edge physics, this is a more casual affair, look at it as Dirt3 with a WRC licence....it was impossible in such a short time to develop a meaningful physics engine from scratch and claim it was "full simulation", therefore we never even started out with such an unrealistic goal, and we don't claim it is the ultimate simulation either, we will in the next incarnation however start bolting in more and more simulation aspects, before that can happen it is important to have a solid base, there is room for a fun WRC game which drives nicely without it being full sim, and also room for Dirt Rally in the same market, I play both and enjoy both for different reasons ?

Also, I now have an R9 280X. I thought my 5850/5970 combo was holding up really well, but jesus it's nice to play games at full noise without worrying about microstutter. Never going multi-GPU ever again.
From what I've read, mutli-GPU setups are great when they work as intended but a pain in the arse at all other times, especially factoring in the extra heat & power consumption, the need for the game to support SLI or crossfire and waiting for GPU vendors to push out driver updates. Your upgrade has got me thinking it's close to time I updated my trusty GTX 680 to something more powerful and less power hungry.

Shaneus

Bare in mind WRC5 was developed in 12 months with several ex-SimBin/Sector 3 and Eden Games dev's, here is Mark Reynold's quote from Race Department:
That's very well said and fills me with confidence for the future of the series (with them). I might grab it cheaply if it comes up for sale, but it sounds like I can lock in WRC6 as a definite when it comes out.

From what I've read, mutli-GPU setups are great when they work as intended but a pain in the arse at all other times, especially factoring in the extra heat & power consumption, the need for the game to support SLI or crossfire and waiting for GPU vendors to push out driver updates. Your upgrade has got me thinking it's close to time I updated my trusty GTX 680 to something more powerful and less power hungry.
Pretty much, but I've just found it's more hassle than it's worth especially considering my GPUs came out almost six years ago! Microstutter will still be a thing for a while longer and when you still have to wait for dedicated profiles for basically all games, it really isn't worth the hassle. I know I could upgrade my setup to two 280X cards in a few years, but I'll start having flashbacks and just shell out for a... I dunno, R9 390 or whatever the upper-mid card is right now.

TJP

Well written piece on fanboyism in racing sims:

My Sim is Bigger Than Your Sim
A very timely article! I like to believe those of us who are regulars in this thread don't post idiotic comments on other forums and we enjoy each sim for what it offers us.

The words in the article echo the comments of the developers who make our sims; run what you prefer and forget those that don't. It is a simple mantra that works ;)

trillbo

A very timely article! I like to believe those of us who are regulars in this thread don't post idiotic comments on other forums and we enjoy each sim for what it offers us.

The words in the article echo the comments of the developers who make our sims; run what you prefer and forget those that don't. It is a simple mantra that works ;)

So true. With the amount of choice we have these days compared to what it was like 10+ years ago, sim racing has never been this good and I've never been happier!

Indeed.

Keep your houses clean too, website owners. It reflects poorly on you as well when someone takes a dump in your comments/forum.

Of course none of this junk is limited to sim racing. Shitbags on the internet is an epidemic.

If you've purchased any of the URD stuff, perhaps you got an email today about a free "Formula Lights" car for AC. Let me tell you it's an absolute howl to drive. It's presumably an Indy Lights car, so a turbo 4 with 450hp. Managing the boost is the best part. Very fun car.

TJP

If you've purchased any of the URD stuff, perhaps you got an email today about a free "Formula Lights" car for AC. Let me tell you it's an absolute howl to drive. It's presumably an Indy Lights car, so a turbo 4 with 450hp. Managing the boost is the best part. Very fun car.
I had 4 emails from URD with the Formula Lights link! RC3V1 appears to be the latest version URD sent through. Looking forward to trying PX V008 soon too.

I see PRC must visit our forums as they've posted a rebuttal on the RAVsim article. I enjoyed PRC's earlier articles however the last few weeks have been little more than AC assassination to get views.

Spookie

I see PRC must visit our forums as they've posted a rebuttal on the RAVsim article. I enjoyed PRC's earlier articles however the last few weeks have been little more than AC assassination to get views.

Aye he has a point to some degree behind that rambling huge post. I can't name one sim I'm happy with as I was with Race 07.

If AC managed to turn its AI around I'd put hundreds of hours in to the game. Instead at the moment my time is split between a ageing rFactor mod in the form of GSCE and raceroom for DTM & WTCC. I can't believe we are so far past the release date of some games and we are still waiting for them to be brought up to a standard held by games released in the early 2000's.

Zeth

The URD Formula Light (Indy car I think) is pretty sweet. Nice little surprise.

URD guy seems to go ham on the "send" button whenever there's an update, lmao. I always have a string of 2-3 different emails, some of them are doubles.

Top Bottom