• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims Thread

Megasoum

Banned
Finally got an email from Amazon with a real delivery date estimate for the Thrustmaster Alcantara rim... I pre-ordered 2 months ago and they will finally have it in stock this week (I should be getting it around Nov 4).

Zeth

Finally got an email from Amazon with a real delivery date estimate for the Thrustmaster Alcantara rim... I pre-ordered 2 months ago and they will finally have it in stock this week (I should be getting it around Nov 4).

Getting mine Thursday according to Amazon - finally!

TJP

Aye he has a point to some degree behind that rambling huge post. I can't name one sim I'm happy with as I was with Race 07.
SimBin did a great job with Race '07 and the DLC. Shame GTR 3 fell apart as it would have been R3E in one complete package.

If AC managed to turn its AI around I'd put hundreds of hours in to the game. Instead at the moment my time is split between a ageing rFactor mod in the form of GSCE and raceroom for DTM & WTCC
It is a big 'if' although Kunos can concentrate on AI and netcode now that the physics and tyre model are largely finalised.

SCE is the ultimate statement of what isiMotor2 can do (weather would be nice ala Race '07). Racceroom is slowly coming together, the devs admitted it was released way too early and qith just 11 people, progress is limited.

That all said, what a time to be a sim racer!

Makikou

2 weeks since i turned my T300RS wheel rim into warranty. Still no new wheel rim here and everything is still out of stock everywhere.

God damnit :(

mrsmr2

Cleaned my g27 pedals yesterday, including the potentiometers. So far, so good - no sticky pedals.

I had my clutch min value set to 40% before so it was getting pretty bad.

Shaneus

Also hopping in on that. Should hopefully have the parts Tuesday/Wednesday.
I ordered the rest of the parts I needed (already had the processor, just needed the serial converter) last week and paid extra for local (interstate) and I'm still waiting :/
Edit: Just in now, but I'm not staying at home tonight so there's nothing I can do. Hopefully tomorrow I'll have everything going :)

TJP

Progress is being made..

CSA4MxaUEAAcEOJ.jpg

Sector 3 said:
After the patch is before the patch. Working on FFB minimum force

It's up to the dev team; I do know they use different wheels and pedals.

Looks like Simraceway is down and has been for a while.

I'd like to see them get it sussed to the point where they can pair down crazy settings to where it should be: Strength, min force, and effects. That's all any sim needs (and what most use).

Yeah, I heard they were shutting down. Doomed from the very beginning.

TJP

I'd like to see them get it sussed to the point where they can pair down crazy settings to where it should be: Strength, min force, and effects. That's all any sim needs (and what most use).
I'm using a G27 as it's the most widely supported wheel and without the Logitech profiler, R3E feels pretty damn good. AC and SCE are the best in regards to FFB (rF2 is very close) and I hope Sector 3 can match these sims soon. Problem is not enough developers to do everything.

Yeah, I heard they were shutting down. Doomed from the very beginning.
I read on RD it's been down for a while and the Twitter page gives no info, they just reposts links.

TJP

From my discussions with them, they're not shutting down any time soon. The current downtime is due to an 'SSL renewal' error.
That's good news as I have $20 of content! Simraceway is largely a forgotten sim; don't know what the community feeling is on the sim but I think it's fun.

In other 'news', I see a few people complaining about the free Indy Lights car in the URD PX on the ISI forums. If I'm reading his posts correctly, one guys is blaming Kunos for it not being a mod for rF2. Unbelievable.

TJP

Isn't rf2 getting its own 'present' from URD soon? Seems a weird thing to complain about, but this is the internet.
From what I've read on the URD FB page, it appears that Assetto Corsa will be their lead platform for a while to come. I think the lack of a 4WD model and hybrid technology isn't helping move the PX mod forward in rF2. Hopefully the Indy Light cars make it into rF2 as at least it has oval tracks of high quality.

And this is sim racing.
Indeed. How's the bike DLC for DriveClub? Might be time for a PS4 methinks as DC is now PGR4 in all but name (and a few city tracks).

Makikou

From what I've read on the URD FB page, it appears that Assetto Corsa will be their lead platform for a while to come. I think the lack of a 4WD model and hybrid technology isn't helping move the PX mod forward in rF2. Hopefully the Indy Light cars make it into rF2 as at least it has oval tracks of high quality.

Indeed. How's the bike DLC for DriveClub? Might be time for a PS4 methinks as DC is now PGR4 in all but name (and a few city tracks).

People seem to be disappointed that there is no ragdoll physics so you can't see your rider get basically killed in multiple ways. IDK why people want it because i feel it would take off focus from getting a perfect run on the tracks.

Also the bikes can't wipe out from too much throttle, it'll just slide instead. Of course not sliding is the fastest way of getting around the circuits. Then again, i myself am a bit biased but i don't think that if it was more punishing in terms of wiping out more, i wouldn't be this interested because i am not a bike guy myself.

TJP

People seem to be disappointed that there is no ragdoll physics so you can't see your rider get basically killed in multiple ways. IDK why people want it because i feel it would take off focus from getting a perfect run on the tracks.
Ragdoll physics belong in a Flatout game. It's not like one can completely destroy their car, so I don't see why you'd want to have a rider resemble a dead fish.

If Evo copied SBK 2001 in which the rider (if not hurt) chases after his bike and picks it up, the race would be over after one stack which is hardly exciting gameplay.

Also the bikes can't wipe out from too much throttle, it'll just slide instead. Of course not sliding is the fastest way of getting around the circuits. Then again, i myself am a bit biased but i don't think that if it was more punishing in terms of wiping out more, i wouldn't be this interested because i am not a bike guy myself.
Reads like an arcade bike game which is in line with DC's ethos. No point making the add-on akin to GP Bikes as 100 people would buy the DLC ;)

Makikou

Ragdoll physics belong in a Flatout game. It's not like one can completely destroy their car, so I don't see why you'd want to have a rider resemble a dead fish.

If Evo copied SBK 2001 in which the rider (if not hurt) chases after his bike and picks it up, the race would be over after one stack which is hardly exciting gameplay.

Reads like an arcade bike game which is in line with DC's ethos. No point making the add-on akin to GP Bikes as 100 people would buy the DLC ;)

Yeah i agree with you but people seem to be really burned by it.. I on the other hand love it and i was expecting to really find it to be not my thing at all.

Oh, and Rushy confirmed that the reason there is no bike crashes in-game is Licensing reasons.

TJP

Release notes:

V1.50

Cars:
  • Adds Mitsubishi Lancer Cup Series (Lancer R & RS models, recommended to run with TC & ABS on low as per the real car)

Track:
  • Adds Velo Cittá Circuit (2 layouts);

Features & Fixes:
  • Added support to 6 USB controller devices (increasing the previous limit of 3
  • Added sensitivity & dead zone sliders for up to 6 controller inputs in CONTROLLER 3 menu
  • Added feature to automatically adjust Steering Rotation for each vehicle so user no longer needs to exit game and manually adjust controller rotation (see recommendations above)
  • Added option to adjust steering rotation in garage menu & adjusted default steering lock settings to provide a suitable default steering ratio for all cars (Custom Steer Rotation must be set to NO in controller menu);Added option to map commands for adjusting anti-roll bars from in-car (for the cars that have the option: Stock Car V8, Super V8, F-Extreme, F-Reiza, F-3, F-V12, F-Classic )
  • Added option to map commands for adjusting Vertical FOV from in-car
  • Added support for 24h race length
  • Added Stock V8 rule which restricts tire stops to one tire change at a time
  • Tweaked AI to perform less strategical mistakes (such as pitting in the last lap)
  • Rewritten all car classes from the previous standard “ReizaXX” to a nomenclature that better represents their respective series
  • Introduced native support to 9-speed gearboxes & fixed bug which would lead to F-Extreme occasionally disappearing when hitting 8th gear in a multiplayer section
  • AI drivers now use 8th gear & DRS
  • Added “Opponents Filter” option to quick race menu (for multiclass racing)
  • Replaced AI aggression UI slider with a set of presets low-to-max (max being 50% aggression in old currency to prevent AI misbehavior in overly aggressive settings)
  • Fixed bug with other cars occasionally “inheriting” 8 gears, DRS functionality from F-Extreme
  • Fixed championship scoring bug
  • Fixed grid position setting when qualifying is disabled
  • Fixed performance issues with the SuperV8
  • Revised pit menu rules & pitstop timing for all series
  • Fixed bug with AI behavior being over aggressive with the throttle on corner exit leading to occasionally losing control
  • Revised AI performance for all cars (balancing for consistency from car to car, track to track, session to session)
  • Updated ambient, curb, road & grass roll noise for all cars
  • Revised aero & tire physics in all cars
  • Revised real-feel values to reduce FFB clipping
  • Tweaked alpha channels in skins from Metalmoro MR18, Opala86, SuperV8, StockV8 series to reduce excessive shiny look
  • Minor graphical optimization
  • Fixed bug with Safety Car entering the pits in Curitiba Oval
  • Fixed behavior of driver labels.

RRRE questions:

1) Since the update, whenever I start RRR3, I'm prompted to enter my username and password. This is very irritating. Is this happening to anyone else?
2) Is there any way to play with the 'car setup' before a restarted race? I only see the option before the 1st race start. Subsequent starts seem to have the 'car setup' menu removed.
3) Is there a way to move the gear indicator to the centre of the screen? Having a 21:9 monitor means it's just outside my peripheral vision.
4) Can the opponent's End-Of-Lap interval time information be removed from the HUD? It tends to obscure lefthand apexes.
5) Sometimes I feel that I've overheated my rears, but I'm unsure whether Sector3 model tyre temps or not. Is there a way to display this info?

Megasoum

Banned
Only had time to do a quick race in pCARS.

It feels really great overall. It feels a lot smoother than the stock TX rim. Must be because of the big size and the lower weight.

The alcantara feels amazing obviously.

It looks so much better than the TX rim too. No grey/fake chrome plastic. It's all black.

The only con I've found so far are the buttons. They are too far from the rim (you have to let go of the rim to go press them) and there's less buttons than on the default TX rim. I obviously knew all about that before buying it and I'll get used to it but it's still a bit annoying.

Also the button layout doesn't make much sense compared to the stock rim. There's not really any logical mapping for the standard buttons used in games.... Obviously that's a very minor thing but anyway.

Very nice!

@marvel The only question I can definitively answer is #1. A: No. I'll check the rest later.
Thanks BT. I've subsequently answered 5 too. Yes tyre temps are modeled, but there's currently no HUD element for them. You can see the data through 3rd party Android/iOS apps though.

TJP

RRRE questions:

1) Since the update, whenever I start RRR3, I'm prompted to enter my username and password. This is very irritating. Is this happening to anyone else?
Unusual behaviour and in no way normal. I'd raise a helpdesk ticket if it continues.

2) Is there any way to play with the 'car setup' before a restarted race? I only see the option before the 1st race start. Subsequent starts seem to have the 'car setup' menu removed.

At this point in time, it's not possible after you start a race. I'll raise the issue on the testers forum.

3) Is there a way to move the gear indicator to the centre of the screen? Having a 21:9 monitor means it's just outside my peripheral vision.
Make sure the sim has selected a 21:9 screen in the settings. If you have, raise a helpdesk ticket and get Sector 3 to fix the issue and I'll raise the issue on the testers forums.

4) Can the opponent's End-Of-Lap interval time information be removed from the HUD? It tends to obscure lefthand apexes.
Yes. You can turn HUD elements on/off by selecting HUD Settings and turn off the In-game overlays.

5) Sometimes I feel that I've overheated my rears, but I'm unsure whether Sector3 model tyre temps or not. Is there a way to display this info?
Tyre temps are modelled; Sector 3 are to add this to the car status HUD along with other aspects we don't see at present.

AxeMan

So I caved and bought Dirt Rally on early access. It is hard! But overall very good.

I'm really struggling with some of the navigator calls, it seems that some of his 6 or 5 corners are really 4 or 3 corners and some of his 4 corners are really 6 corners. I also don't trust his 'don't cut' call because it looks like most of the corners that he says that it'll be safe to cut.

My biggest trouble is not having a proper handbrake. It makes it really hard. So I'm doing auto-clutch with my flappy paddles for shifting (T500) and then using the clutch peddle as my handbrake.
Not the best solution because then I can't left foot brake like I like to in racing games.
My technique is all over the place as well, but when I nail a corner or series of corners it's feels excellent

I know RRRE is the number one for sound, but it's great just sitting in the pit garage listening. I can hear:

-Stationary cars revving
-At least 5 languages being spoken
-An air compressor
-Distant cars
-Car entering pits siren
-Cars driving nearby
-A leaf blower/vacuum clear
-Trackside announcements
-Someone being interviewed in German
-Whistles
-Crowd noises
-Wheel guns
-National anthem (I think)

All with seeming realistic reverb and muffling. So much atmosphere.

I also don't trust his 'don't cut' call because it looks like most of the corners that he says that it'll be safe to cut.

https://youtu.be/TWaiINy73Cc

I know RRRE is the number one for sound, but it's great just sitting in the pit garage listening. I can hear:

-Stationary cars revving
-An air compressor
-Distant cars
-Car entering pits siren
-Cars driving nearby
-Trackside announcements
-Whistles
-Crowd noises
-Wheel guns

That's amazing. I'll be sure to pay closer attention when I'm Rowlfing my keyboard looking for the ignition switch.

TJP

Jilt

-Stationary cars revving
-An air compressor
-Distant cars
-Car entering pits siren
-Cars driving nearby
-Trackside announcements
-Whistles
-Crowd noises
-Wheel guns

You inspired me to do a video on that.
Hope it is what you mean!

https://youtu.be/K-O3pRrrCMw

mrsmr2

I had no idea some of those cars were URD's.

I am excited about the GT86 coming to rF2. I did like it in AC but the ffb is a bit boring and coupling that with it's lack of power, I've hardly touched it since 1.3.

It could be awesome with rF2's ffb and more alive feeling in general.

Spookie

I found myself disagreeing with many of the points made, but it was a good read - strong opinions but not provocative.

Which ones? I agree, a lot of the sims are half baked. I still can't play AC in SP unless I'm hotlapping, it's been a huge waste of money for me. If I was given the chance at a refund I'd take it. Same with Project CARS that is another humongous piece of shit.

kvk1

However, when their version of an interactive, changing road surface was released, there was a bug that allowed drivers to enter at a specific time to gain an advantage of up to 2 seconds a lap in grip without touching their set-up. This reportedly affected some high profile leagues and events. Refinements to this system along with other additions like the recently delayed Nordschleife could make up for the bug release. Some of those involved may not see it that way.

Interesting. Was this a recent iRacing exploit?

What do they mean by enter at a specific time?

Top Bottom