• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims Thread

TJP

Sector 3 said:
Surprise! Another FIA WTCC track is coming to RaceRoom soon. Thanks to a close collaboration with the world's leading designer for racetracks, the Tilke GmbH, we are able to announce that Chang International Circuit By Buriram United will be available very soon!

Here are some pictures..
12194547_1085032591515357_8471178839600736560_o.jpg
12194817_1085032728182010_5565271786226356827_o.jpg
22123554803_93aba71650_b.jpg

Which ones? I agree, a lot of the sims are half baked. I still can't play AC in SP unless I'm hotlapping, it's been a huge waste of money for me. If I was given the chance at a refund I'd take it. Same with Project CARS that is another humongous piece of shit.

For a start, I'd say we've already enjoyed at least one generation of software that could be labelled the 'Golden Age' of sim racing. And despite the shortcomings of all the current sims, this generation could also be comfortably be referred to as the 'Golden Age' too. We've never had it better.

RaceRoom - I don't think the business model itself is a problem; it just needs a bit of tweaking and better communication. I disagree with that PRC piece - I'd put their concept at the top, next to iRacing. I attribute RaceRoom's problems largely to an identity crisis in terms of presentation and physics. What we've seen since the Sector 3 switch has directly addressed this; let's see what happens. So it hasn't been successful for 4 years... well frankly, it hasn't been very good for at least 3 of them. The handling only became remotely competitive a couple of weeks ago - in that sense it's too early to call it a failure.

SCE - the writer doesn't directly offer an explanation for the lack of users online - after all he states that 'it ticks the most boxes and has the least bugs'. If it's because people are being attracted to shinier, newer sims that are failing to 'get out of beta', then that seems to counter his central point - people would prefer to play the unfinished, shiny stuff than playing the fully-resolved SCE. If it was so important to have the complete experience on one title, everybody would be playing SCE.

Project CARS - it's a fine sim. Did they deliver on all their promises? Not quite, and the odd bug remains, but it's not horrendously broken, and it delivers a unique experience. It's not going to thrill everyone but that's not necessarily a bad thing. I enjoy the variety.

iRacing - it's true there was a serious bug that affected some high profile events. But I don't think that is a reason to say iRacing isn't delivering overall - they fixed it and moved on.

rF2 and AC - I think it's a bit harsh to say these have 'let us down'. Both projects have gone beyond their initial scope, so a more positive view might even suggest that they've over-delivered. The industry is in a transition, and many consumers aren't ready to embrace the future. rF2 and AC started development expecting to release a traditional (or even boxed) product. They've moved so far away from that now, rF2 in particular. Okay, so AC is sticking with it due to a console release on the horizon, but that wouldn't have been a consideration had they released the original vision of the game in 2012 in the traditional manner. AC has benefited hugely from the staggered content and update release system.

Games have become ongoing services rather than a disc image suspended in time - easily updated, with different development processes and priorities. The traditional gaming business model makes less sense every day for sims. A newcomer looking at the update schedule for all of these sims over the past couple of years would be forgiven for thinking they were all on a subscription-based model already.

Interesting. Was this a recent iRacing exploit?

What do they mean by enter at a specific time?
Yes, it happened after they launched their dynamic track technology, although from what I can gather, it relates to an older bug, and but only had a clear effect when the new technology came in. I still don't understand it, but it had something to do with manipulating the weather and/or track state. Some people had figured out that by joining the server late, or entering and leaving and coming back, they could trigger a different state, where there was more grip. Because this 'trick' could be unintentionally activated, it was impossible to accuse people of cheating. This affected the first round of the BES qualifying, and at least one round of the iWCGPS.

RaceRoom - I don't think the business model itself is a problem; it just needs a bit of tweaking and better communication. I disagree with that PRC piece - I'd put their concept at the top, next to iRacing. I attribute RaceRoom's problems largely to an identity crisis in terms of presentation and physics. What we've seen since the Sector 3 switch has directly addressed this; let's see what happens. So it hasn't been successful for 4 years... well frankly, it hasn't been very good for at least 3 of them. The handling only became remotely competitive a couple of weeks ago - in that sense it's too early to call it a failure.

I agree, but I do think you put your sim on the hot seat with this type of pricing structure. When you have unconventional (perhaps what some people might call unfavorable) pricing, you've got to bring something notable to the table. There needs to be a very clear reason for someone to invest. I'd call R3E one of the most complete titles on the market, but unfortunately there's no shining star here. I'm just not sure a jack of all trades game is a good fit for this particular model.

I certainly don't agree with PRC's take. "Us adults are too smart to get tricked. We're not dumb map pack kiddies."

Please stop talking.

rF2 and AC - I think it's a bit harsh to say these have 'let us down'. Both projects have gone beyond their initial scope, so a more positive view might even suggest that they've over-delivered. The industry is in a transition, and many consumers aren't ready to embrace the future. rF2 and AC started development expecting to release a traditional (or even boxed) product. They've moved so far away from that now, rF2 in particular. Okay, so AC is sticking with it due to a console release on the horizon, but that wouldn't have been a consideration had they released the original vision of the game in 2012 in the traditional manner. AC has benefited hugely from the staggered content and update release system.

Games have become ongoing services rather than a disc image suspended in time - easily updated, with different development processes and priorities. The traditional gaming business model makes less sense every day for sims. A newcomer looking at the update schedule for all of these sims over the past couple of years would be forgiven for thinking they were all on a subscription-based model already.

I feel a common sentiment is "the industry gave me GTR2 10 years ago. Why can't I have that now?". I certainly hear that tone in the simhq article. It's a fair question, and hell, who wouldn't want that. However, game development has changed so much in the last 10 years, it's crazy. You don't have to like it, but you do have to understand it.

That's not giving a pass to devs who could be prioritizing things better. I see that as a separate discussion, but things like beta software, and DLC are about studio survival as much as anything else. Where would AC be without them? It would be netKar Pro, a blip on the radar.

I think it's great that folks want to be critical. It's just too bad they waltz off into the wilderness with some of these conjured up "reasons". "rF2 & AC; proper sims or cash grabs for future titles?"

Please stop talking.

TJP

RaceRoom - I don't think the business model itself is a problem; it just needs a bit of tweaking and better communication. I disagree with that PRC piece - I'd put their concept at the top, next to iRacing. I attribute RaceRoom's problems largely to an identity crisis in terms of presentation and physics.
Indeed. Of course with the last few updates this has changed, and has been slowly changing since the IMSA Audi 90 was first released (thanks to Mark Reynolds).

Project CARS - it's a fine sim. Did they deliver on all their promises? Not quite, and the odd bug remains, but it's not horrendously broken, and it delivers a unique experience. It's not going to thrill everyone but that's not necessarily a bad thing. I enjoy the variety.
All very true! SMS have made a decent sim after the patches which runs really well with a decent sized grid (e.g. 35 GT3 cars at Spa in the dry). I still find the tyres feel odd at times - near or over the limit they feel more like a balloon than a tyre on the tarmac. It may just be the result of using the Jack Spade FFB tweaker files but at Spa in any of the GT3 cars, Project CARS can feel somewhat different to that of R3E or AC at the limit of adhesion.

Further I can completely cross up the car on oppostie lock and hold the slide and recover versus R3E, AC, SCE or rF2 in which I'd most likely spear off the track. I find myself wondering if anyone else feels the same..None of this makes pCARS a 'bad' sim, just different ;)

All very true! SMS have made a decent sim after the patches which runs really well with a decent sized grid (e.g. 35 GT3 cars at Spa in the dry). I still find the tyres feel odd at times - near or over the limit they feel more like a balloon than a tyre on the tarmac. It may just be the result of using the Jack Spade FFB tweaker files but at Spa in any of the GT3 cars, Project CARS can feel somewhat different to that of R3E or AC at the limit of adhesion.

Further I can completely cross up the car on oppostie lock and hold the slide and recover versus R3E, AC, SCE or rF2 in which I'd most likely spear off the track. I find myself wondering if anyone else feels the same..None of this makes pCARS a 'bad' sim, just different ;)
Yes this is the most unusual aspect of PCARS handling - the ability to save even the stiffest, snappiest cars from extreme angles, as if the tyre model shuts down when it goes too far over the limit. Apply bags of lock and it just slides in perfect balance until all the speed is scrubbed off, and then you carry on as if nothing happened. Some of the saves are so ridiculous I can almost see the Deal With It glasses dropping down. And yet the same car will snap and kill you in seemingly less scary situations. It makes PCARS somehow very challenging and very forgiving at the same time, but I'm not sure if it's intentional!

kvk1

Yes, it happened after they launched their dynamic track technology, although from what I can gather, it relates to an older bug, and but only had a clear effect when the new technology came in. I still don't understand it, but it had something to do with manipulating the weather and/or track state. Some people had figured out that by joining the server late, or entering and leaving and coming back, they could trigger a different state, where there was more grip. Because this 'trick' could be unintentionally activated, it was impossible to accuse people of cheating. This affected the first round of the BES qualifying, and at least one round of the iWCGPS.

Thanks for the explanation!

I've been getting into iRacing again lately.

Taking the Skippy out to Oulton Park. Fun fun times.

Makikou

Nay.

It affected the first round of BES Qualifying for GT World Championship weekend yes, but those results got removed thus they do not affect the final standings

The World Grand Prix Series (F1 that is) never had a race where it affected. The bug was found before the race and subsequently made known to the officials who made adjustments to the qualifying -> warm up -> gridding process to ensure no one could exploit the bug.

I do know that the bug happened in atleast 2 PEAK Antifreeze series but there is naught evidence AFAIK that it happened in iWCGPS

Thanks for the explanation!

I've been getting into iRacing again lately.

Taking the Skippy out to Oulton Park. Fun fun times.

That's my favorite track and car combination last time I had an iRacing binge. Might need to fire up some iRacing if that is the track this week.

Edit: Ohh, looks like it is the Island config. Don't think I have raced on that. Fosters config is my favorite version of Oulton with the Skippy.

Nay.

It affected the first round of BES Qualifying for GT World Championship weekend yes, but those results got removed thus they do not affect the final standings

The World Grand Prix Series (F1 that is) never had a race where it affected. The bug was found before the race and subsequently made known to the officials who made adjustments to the qualifying -> warm up -> gridding process to ensure no one could exploit the bug.

I do know that the bug happened in atleast 2 PEAK Antifreeze series but there is naught evidence AFAIK that it happened in iWCGPS
My impression was that people were referring to the fact that nothing was done about the iWCGPS that they wouldn't wipe the BES results either. Once they were wiped, I saw questions being asked about the iWCGPS again.

Makikou

My impression was that people were referring to the fact that nothing was done about the iWCGPS that they wouldn't wipe the BES results either. Once they were wiped, I saw questions being asked about the iWCGPS again.

There is a thing called "clock smash" in iRacing. Once it happened to a certain Olli Pahkala in iWCGPS he was to finish a race comfortably in P3 except that on second to last lap the server magically thought he didn't even do a lap, thus he finished 1 lap behind everyone.

It's very rare of course but it is a bug in the netcode i believe. Atleast it has something to do with blinking at correct timing to make the sim think you're not finishing a lap when you are.

A lot of finns thought that the race results should be fixed because in reality there was no chance for P4 to catch Olli on P3. iRacing decided to not do anything which honestly was and is stupid. Reasoning according to Shannon Whitmore was "I don't have the time and it's not possible."

kvk1

Edit: Ohh, looks like it is the Island config. Don't think I have raced on that. Fosters config is my favorite version of Oulton with the Skippy.

Yeah, I kind of prefer the chicane before Knickerbrook (T12), which the current configuration doesn't have.

Taking that corner at high speeds is really dodgy in the Skip.

You need some serious finesse here to be fast and consistent.

TJP

If you are looking for the laser scanned version of the Nurburgring from Assetto Corsa for rF2, the infamous Pretend Race Cars has a blog post detailing the conversion and links to download it.

I'll leave it up to each individual to decide the morality of downloading the converted track - I'll say be quick if you want it as I doubt Kunos will keep it up for long.

TJP

If you didn't get the AC Nurburgring for rF2 then you've missed one chance as its been removed from Mega NZ - Edit: PRC have another link available.

Having driven it, it looks like any other non-ISI rF2 mod; one installed and run once, it loads quickly and is fine to look at. That said, I'm really non-plussed about the Nurburgring, it's a very fine track but there are so many other tracks that offer better racing.

In other news, the ISI Track Team posted these pictures:
CS-qdByW4AQqwID.jpg
CTD-N0GWEAAc3VB.jpg

Finally upgraded to a 980ti! As long as I don't go too crazy with anti aliasing setting, all these wonderful sims can now run with everything maxed at 4k!

New rf2 track looks pretty good. As much as I've loved the constant stream of content pumped out by isi recently though, I wish they'd hired a programmer to focus on polishing rF2's features instead.

paskowitz

Finally upgraded to a 980ti! As long as I don't go too crazy with anti aliasing setting, all these wonderful sims can now run with everything maxed at 4k!

New rf2 track looks pretty good. As much as I've loved the constant stream of content pumped out by isi recently though, I wish they'd hired a programmer to focus on polishing rF2's features instead.

I have one as well and all sims run 4K 60fps or more. Make sure you overclocker that bad boy!

At 4K you don't really need AA. FXAA or 2xx AA depending on the title. pCARS maxed out with the highest settings is brutal though. 55 cars at Le Mans in the rain in 4K send my OC'd card up to 120% power usage.

Nice!

Hopefully that will be their focus once they get through this Steam thing, which I can only surmise isn't going as swimmingly as they expected.

Megasoum

Banned
Hey guys, pro-tip if you happen to have both the GTE and EVO Alcantara rims for Thrustmaster wheels.

The rocker switch at the bottom right of the rims is much better on the GTE, the shape makes it much easier to move it with just your thumb unlike on the EVO where you need to use your thumb and index to twist it.

My friend found out that you can actually pull the switch and swap them to use the good switch on the EVO rim.

FYI

Unfortunatly I only have the EVO rim so I can't switch mine. I actually sent a mail to Thrustmaster support today to see if there was any ways for me to buy just the switch but you can't.

Anyone having audio issues with v1.50 of GCSE? I haven't been able to play it for a long time and when I got around to reinstalling it today I get audio crackling on things like downshifts and riding kerbs. The Lancer's are really evil with this, though I haven't experimented with everything yet.

Has anyone else experienced the same thing or have any suggestions? I never had this problem with earlier versions on the same hardware.

Specs: i7 4790K, GTX 980, 16GB RAM, Win 10 Home, Realtek audio.

Dave_6

I can't even get GSCE to launch anymore :( Just goes to a black screen and sits there unresponsive. I followed their steps of deleting my user profile etc and it just won't work. So frustrating as I have no idea what to do.

EDIT: Just tried the beta and it does the same thing. This is so frustrating. FWIW task manager says they're both v1.70 and not 1.50, whatever that means. I hate PC gaming sometimes.

Zeth

Yeah, sounds like a great idea if only to simplify things on the development side. Unsurprisingly PRC is stoking the troll fires - do they even read the shit they comment on?

Could someone pretty please look in their SCE v1.50 install folder for lancer_downshift_3.wav and tell me if the sound has crackling issues. That way I can tell if it's my soundcard or the game itself.

I'm having what do you guys think of this?

http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/a-possible-change-of-plans-backers-please-read.113274/

I think it would be a good thing to get everything under one roof and clean up the rough edges of the game. Also, a name change is sorely needed.

That's fine, no problem. It seems like it's in their best interest, and I wouldn't stand in front of them for that. I get a combined SC:E and FTruck title in return, and I'm certainly cool with that.

Could someone pretty please look in their SCE v1.50 install folder for lancer_downshift_3.wav and tell me if the sound has crackling issues. That way I can tell if it's my soundcard or the game itself.

It's rather gruff sounding, but I'm not hearing anything that I 'd say was out of place.

Still having issues with sound in SCE. I've sent a request for help from Reiza, but in the meantime does anyone else have the same sound issues that I'm having in this video of a lap of Velopark 2010 in a Lancer? Listen to the audio clipping in the downshifts.

And yes, I know the lap is shit, I nearly lost it in the chicane :) I only made it to show the problems I'm having. I've also tested it on my brother's PC and the same audio problems occur.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEGO-AV23Rg

I'm just throwing this video out there as a last resort, it's so frustrating. If no one else has this problem I'll just wait for Reiza to tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Still having issues with sound in SCE. I've sent a request for help from Reiza, but in the meantime does anyone else have the same sound issues that I'm having in this video of a lap of Velopark 2010 in a Lancer? Listen to the audio clipping in the downshifts.

And yes, I know the lap is shit, I nearly lost it in the chicane :) I only made it to show the problems I'm having. I've also tested it on my brother's PC and the same audio problems occur.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEGO-AV23Rg

I'm just throwing this video out there as a last resort, it's so frustrating. If no one else has this problem I'll just wait for Reiza to tell me what I'm doing wrong.

I just checked in-game for you, and yep, I have the same thing. It's not just you, brother!

It's not just the downshifts either. I actually first heard it when I ran over my first curb. The curb noises are very staticy as well. Most of the other noises appear OK though.

I didn't try any other combo than the one you requested.

I tried the beta build as well, and same thing, so it's nothing in my config (builds are the same however).

W10, Realtek something or other.

I just checked in-game for you, and yep, I have the same thing. It's not just you, brother!

It's not just the downshifts either. I actually first heard it when I ran over my first curb. The curb noises are very staticy as well. Most of the other noises appear OK though.

I didn't try any other combo than the one you requested.

I tried the beta build as well, and same thing, so it's nothing in my config (builds are the same however).

W10, Realtek something or other.

Thank you so much! At least I know now for sure that it's the game. I've had audio problems with the SuperV8's and Formula 3 over curbs at Velopark also. Haven't had the time to look at anything else.

I've sent Reiza an email and posted in their bug report section at RD.

TJP

How could they run out, surely they know how many people actually bought it?
What's the vernacular here? ISI gonna ISI ;)

Edit: Working fine for me too; just waiting on pCARS patch to finish and then I'll have rF2 lifetime on Steam ;)

Shaneus

So with rF2, the subscription thing is just for online MP, yes? Are there things like leaderboards and such for hot laps that will still work? I don't even remember if they were in the non-Steam version :(

Top Bottom