• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims Thread

Mascot

Ask me in a year if after hundreds of hours in the Formula Renault if I didn't get my money's worth. Better yet, ask me in five years. This isn't perishable DLC for momentary games on fleeting platforms.

I have angered you. Please forgive my ignorance of PC sim racing economics.

;)

(Still seems steep to my console brain, though).

The Super Truck in AMS is probably the best sim car/truck I have ever driven.

It is until you drive the Formula V10, and then the Formula Vee, and then the superkart, and then the '86 Oplala, and then the... OH GOD! So many great cars. The Super Truck is absolutely mental though.

Zeth

The Super Truck in AMS is probably the best sim car/truck I have ever driven.

It really deserves the hyperbole. So much fun. Super-gratifying and dynamic and often hilarious.

Uploaded some screens I took this past week - http://imgur.com/a/DxcnP

I4BVFb1.jpg

Omaer

Banned
So what does everyone think about PRJ. Crz. GOTY edition update? Are they going to be offering all of the dlc in one package minus the ones you have already purchased? B/c I'm sure no one wants to buy the same dlc twice.

TJP

It is until you drive the Formula V10, and then the Formula Vee, and then the superkart, and then the '86 Oplala, and then the... OH GOD! So many great cars. The Super Truck is absolutely mental though.
Just watched these again at the first V8 Supercar round of 2016 and the crowd loves these vehicles!

I agree AMS has amazing cars from top to bottom; even the Mini's are a blast around the smaller tracks.

Makikou

iRacing Season 2 2016 Notes:

http://pastebin.com/Vfx4pJ62

Welcome to 2016 Season 2!

This release features a whopping FOUR new vehicles: Audi R8 LMS GT3, Formula Renault 2.0, Mercedes-AMG GT3, and Mazda MX-5 Cup. Try them all and find out which one is going to be your favorite!

With this release we are also launching a few brand new systems to further enhance your sim racing experience. We have added a DirectX 11 mode for the Sim to streamline the rendering process and reduce the CPU bottleneck inherent in our complex scenes. The Dynamic Tire Debris Accumulation system will actually show you in real-time what's sticking to your tires based on our physics calculations and the Dynamic Track. We have also expanded our horizons, literally, and are proud to introduce the Time of Day feature including both Morning and Late Afternoon as options on all tracks and race modes. We have enhanced our Netcode with an option for greater bandwidth, allowing more information to pass between you and our servers. A new easy-to-use video capture tool has also been rolled directly into the Sim with this release. Also, our vehicle audio, including engine sounds, tires, gear shifting, and much more has been made even more realistic with this release. All of these systems help to enhance our realism and raise the bar on what you can expect from the quality of your favorite racing simulator.

We hope you enjoy this release; see you out on the track!

Branson

This new build looks good on paper at least. I hope the increased marble build up means more rubber being laid down too. This weekend in the NASCAR race in Vegas the track was noticeably darker only after like 4 laps. Where in iRacing it would take about 100 lol.

bee

only bought the renault, the 40 piece discount brings it down to $8.93 so pretty reasonable, finally dx 11 hits, had a quick test on hotlapping a single car around brands hatch, was getting 250-330fps at 4k 2xaa :D the car seems fun too although slower than the star mazda, first time i've fired it up in a while tbh and won't be doing so again until my rift arrives

6k online right now, never seen it that high before

Shaneus

Did anyone else have to mess with the seat position in the super truck? I gave it a go but the visibility messed with me.

Zeth

Did anyone else have to mess with the seat position in the super truck? I gave it a go but the visibility messed with me.

I think I go forward 40ish, up 10. It's nicely near the dash with the motec at the bottom (wheel hidden). I use a 27" monitor directly behind/against my wheel, FoV around 34.

terrible

Banned
I tend to customize my seat position and FOV in every game anyway when I can. My view was the least of my problems in those trucks lol. They're a handful.

Shaneus

I tend to customize my seat position and FOV in every game anyway when I can. My view was the least of my problems in those trucks lol. They're a handful.
Oh yeah, from the little I played with the default view, I felt like I almost took the shifter clean off the wheelstand.

Need to work out a way to fix my G27 pedals to the base of the wheelstand, too. Right now they just go everywhere and it's fucking annoying.

Mascot

Need to work out a way to fix my G27 pedals to the base of the wheelstand, too. Right now they just go everywhere and it's fucking annoying.

There's no worse feeling than pedals that slide around, even by the tiniest of margins. They need to be part of planet earth. Self-adhesive industrial Velcro is a bloody good solution if the two surfaces are flat. Velcro's got weak peel strength but excellent shear strength, which is what you want.

Patrick S.

Banned
I just built a crappy cockpit for my wheel, and I'll see if I can get a rubber mat to put underneath the pedals when I have the day off tomorrow. Looking forward to my first day off with the wheel, and the missus will be working, so no stupid things like leaving the house or cleaning up haha.

Dave_6

Tried out the new iRacing build last night with the new Miata. Haven't played it in a couple months but I have been playing a ton of Assetto Corsa and the AMS beta; the FFB felt weak to me. Is there a good guide anywhere for FFB settings with a G27 for iRacing?

Makikou

Tried out the new iRacing build last night with the new Miata. Haven't played it in a couple months but I have been playing a ton of Assetto Corsa and the AMS beta; the FFB felt weak to me. Is there a good guide anywhere for FFB settings with a G27 for iRacing?

Solution: Scrap the G27. The engine is weak. :p

Honestly i don't know, just know that a teammate recently switched to T500RS from G27 and says every car is so much different now and says he cant believe how he could have used G27 for so long :D

Dave_6

Honestly i don't know, just know that a teammate recently switched to T500RS from G27 and says every car is so much different now and says he cant believe how he could have used G27 for so long :D

Trust me, I've been thinking about it for a few months now. The problem I have is the desk I'm using; the G27 clamps work perfectly with it but I'm not sure a Thrustmaster wheel will work. I'm not sure I want to spend money on a dedicated rig either.

The wheel I really want is the Fanatec CSWv2.

I have a T500RS too (and a TX). A G27 doesn't stand a chance, but a T300 is pretty great too. For me the T500 motor is too big. It's great that you will never have overheating problems, but steering the wheel induces a magnetic field and that costs energy, more energy the bigger the motor and that energy has to come from your muscles, which is why it never feels "light" and quick to steer even if there are no forces coming from the game.
A big motor feels great if the diameter and weight of the wheel rim are right for it and none of the available Thrustmaster steering wheel add-ons has the right weight/diameter for that motor for my tastes. My Thrustmaster TX with the 599XX alcantara wheel feels great and better than my T500 in ~80% of the games (but the heat and fan-noise are pretty bad, I go low forces for wheel preservation a lot). It might be just me, of course. But I wanted to drop my 2cents for consideration nontheless and hope you get where I'm coming from.

Ark

Absolutely loving the new iRacing build. The Mercedes is beautiful, the Audi is beautiful, the Formula Renault is a ton of fun, and the Mazda is good fun too. DX11 has been flawless for me so far too. Only disappointments are that the 'blob' on the FR2.0 cockpit is sooooo obnoxious; and lollipop guy isn't the second-coming.

Going to have to make a few new paint schemes :)

EDIT: The netcode update is a bit funny. I have 32 down and 10 up so I put it to the highest setting and the one MX5 race I did had some huuuuge 'netcoding', so I've put to the second highest setting but I won't be able to test that until tomorrow.

I'm trying to make my may through some DX11 issues, but content-wise, very impressed. The new MX-5 is god-teir. The Merc and FR2.0 are fantastic as well.

Lots of netcode issues with the setting maxed here too, Arky. Not sure if it's just the traffic load with some of these sessions (50 or 60 cars) or what. I just set it back to the previous max of 1Mbit or whatever it was. I'll report back.

I've also reverted back to DX9 for the time being.

I've already had a crazy week of short circuiting pedals, and general sim rig mayhem. I just want to race. I'll figure out DX11 later.

terrible

Banned
Automobilista has been updated. It sounds like they've made some big FFB tweaks.

Changed FFB levels and adjusted default settings both for better clarity as well as improving their default settings: instead of Low/Medium/High/Full, now Pure 360hz/Pure 180hz/Pure + Effects 1 / Pure + Effects 2 / Pure + Effects 3. Pure 360hz is the recommended for purest & higher fidelity FFB; Pure 180hz may be better suited for high end wheels with performance issues triggered by the high rates; The others add levels of extra "canned" effects from the game engine also se to 180 hz to avoid performance issues

I didn't play it enough before this patch to really form an opinion on the FFB but the update sounds good to me.

Megasoum

Banned
Just did a quick test drive with the FV10, the small formula that's not a F3 (looks like the Formula Rookie from pCARS...forgot the name in AMS), Formula Reiza and the Proto.

Haven't really noticed any differences with the FFB but like I said earlier, I always thought it was already amazing so....heh....who knows.

Mascot

How many of you lot have VR dev kits and how often do you race with them? And have you gone back to flat screens after the novelty wore off and/or waiting for better consumer versions? What has the overall experience been like?

I'm getting increasingly excited about VR and its use in sim racing. It seems like the perfect marriage and the missing piece in the jigsaw.

Lach

How many of you lot have VR dev kits and how often do you race with them? And have you gone back to flat screens after the novelty wore off and/or waiting for better consumer versions? What has the overall experience been like?

I'm getting increasingly excited about VR and its use in sim racing. It seems like the perfect marriage and the missing piece in the jigsaw.

I've been playing quite a lot of project cars with my DK2. It's really awesome.
I did get some nausea when the game couldn't provide stable framerate and after some time the headset started pressing against my nose and I got sweatty.

I have big hopes that the Vive will solve all those issues. I just hope that racing games will support it.

I still regularly play American Truck Simulator with the DK2 as it's less stressfull :)

I've been playing quite a lot of project cars with my DK2. It's really awesome.
I did get some nausea when the game couldn't provide stable framerate and after some time the headset started pressing against my nose and I got sweatty.

I have big hopes that the Vive will solve all those issues. I just hope that racing games will support it.

I still regularly play American Truck Simulator with the DK2 as it's less stressfull :)
When your driving a course like California Highway, that you can't drive in your sleep from a hundred other racing games and that features a combination of slow corners, does the DK2 resolution help you with speed sensation and depth perception /help you guess your braking point? Or is the resolution still too low and framerate of objects moving in the corner of your eyes not there yet?
If you play a lot of racing games, you kinda get used to when you have to brake, even if you've never driven a certain track before. On the other hand if you hand the FFB-wheel to someone who is not a bad driver and wouldn't go off track in real life, but doesn't play video games at all, he will have as little an idea when to brake in the game as a teen that has never driven a real car. I don't really know how much of it are missing g-forces and how much is 3D-vision of speed-sensation as well as depth-perception. Triple monitors and 144Hz help with speed-sensation already, but I'd like to know how this compares to current VR.

Darkdeus

I've been playing a lot of Live for Speed with mine. It's runs so good. Project Cars and Dirt Rally are great too but just don't feel quite as smooth yet. It's hard to go back to monitors though. The rift just feels soo natural. It's much easier to race closely and the sense of speed is fantastic. I can 't wait to play AMS with VR support.

Mascot

I've been playing a lot of Live for Speed with mine. It's runs so good. Project Cars and Dirt Rally are great too but just don't feel quite as smooth yet. It's hard to go back to monitors though. The rift just feels soo natural. It's much easier to race closely and the sense of speed is fantastic. I can 't wait to play AMS with VR support.

The thing that struck me when I tried OR in an on-rails Red Bull flight demo was the stereoscopic 3D and the associated depth perception. This more than the freedom of view was what really wowed me, but give me both of those combined in my racing rig and... well, I just can't wait.

Megasoum

Banned
The thing that struck me when I tried OR in an on-rails Red Bull flight demo was the stereoscopic 3D and the associated depth perception. This more than the freedom of view was what really wowed me, but give me both of those combined in my racing rig and... well, I just can't wait.

Would you say that it would give you a shiatsu like experience? lol... Loved your post in that other thread.

How many of you lot have VR dev kits and how often do you race with them?
Very rarely.

And have you gone back to flat screens after the novelty wore off and/or waiting for better consumer versions?
Yes. Novelty didn't wear off, but the DK2 is uncomfortable. Flat screens better than DK2 for serious racing.

What has the overall experience been like?
A mixture of awe and frustration. You can get a decent experience with DK2, if you're prepared to deal with its various shortcomings.

Mascot

Very rarely.

Yes. Novelty didn't wear off, but the DK2 is uncomfortable. Flat screens better than DK2 for serious racing.

A mixture of awe and frustration. You can get a decent experience with DK2, if you're prepared to deal with its various shortcomings.

Interesting - many thanks. Were the frustrations borne from the DK2 being a dev kit (lower specs, res etc) and using software not entirely designed for VR from the ground up (crappy options/menus/glitches etc)?

Would a fully-realised consumer HMU and better/more complete VR integration into sims solve these issues (maybe apart from the comfort one)? VR just seems so damn perfect for sim racing on the face of it.

Interesting - many thanks. Were the frustrations borne from the DK2 being a dev kit (lower specs, res etc) and using software not entirely designed for VR from the ground up (crappy options/menus/glitches etc)?

Would a fully-realised consumer HMU and better/more complete VR integration into sims solve these issues (maybe apart from the comfort one)? VR just seems so damn perfect for sim racing on the face of it.

For me, it's as you said. Frustrations borne from the beta wares; hard, soft, and firm.

None of that has dulled my excitement for the retail version however. Provided it hits it's marks in terms of visual clarity, comfort, ease of use, and game performance/support we should be good. I think they have, which is why I've pre-ordered (April).

Exactly that. No sim is offering a flawless plug-and-play solution right now, although that is the direction they're heading. The closest is Live For Speed, as it supports the latest runtime, and all menus are accessible in VR. But you still have to muck about at the start, finding the VR option in a rather unintuitive menu. After that, you're in business - should be a one-time thing (at least until something breaks with the next SDK update).

Once you're up and running, the shortcomings of the hardware become clear. All the well-documented stuff is annoying for racing - very small sweet spot in the lenses, bad weight distribution, obvious screen door effect, overall lack of clarity, noticeable latency.

Absolutely, and I'm expecting the comfort to be mostly solved too. Some will still not like anything touching their face, but the Rift in particular is said to be much lighter and with ideal weight distribution, meaning it shouldn't feel much worse than wearing a baseball cap and some high-quality ski goggles. While the resolution upgrade doesn't sound great on paper, the overall improvements to display and optics are significant - should be at least twice as good as DK2 in terms of clarity, particularly in motion and across a wider area of the lenses. Sims will take a while to get on board though - it won't be plain sailing from day one.

After that... any further shortcomings will become more apparent. A sort of uncanny valley sensation. The closer we get to reality, the more we'll notice when stuff isn't quite right - one of the biggest challenges being virtual arms and hands. Gonna be a while (and probably more than one generation of headsets) before that is truly solved.

Here a piece I did recently for RTVR: http://www.roadtovr.com/top-5-racing-sims-with-oculus-rift-support-virtual-reality/

Mascot

For me, it's as you said. Frustrations borne from the beta wares; hard, soft, and firm.

None of that has dulled my excitement for the retail version however. Provided it hits it's marks in terms of visual clarity, comfort, ease of use, and game performance/support we should be good. I think they have, which is why I've pre-ordered (April).

Exactly that. No sim is offering a flawless plug-and-play solution right now, although that is the direction they're heading. The closest is Live For Speed, as it supports the latest runtime, and all menus are accessible in VR. But you still have to muck about at the start, finding the VR option in a rather unintuitive menu. After that, you're in business - should be a one-time thing (at least until something breaks with the next SDK update).

Once you're up and running, the shortcomings of the hardware become clear. All the well-documented stuff is annoying for racing - very small sweet spot in the lenses, bad weight distribution, obvious screen door effect, overall lack of clarity, noticeable latency.

Absolutely, and I'm expecting the comfort to be mostly solved too. Some will still not like anything touching their face, but the Rift in particular is said to be much lighter and with ideal weight distribution, meaning it shouldn't feel much worse than wearing a baseball cap and some high-quality ski goggles. While the resolution upgrade doesn't sound great on paper, the overall improvements to display and optics are significant - should be at least twice as good as DK2 in terms of clarity, particularly in motion and across a wider area of the lenses. Sims will take a while to get on board though - it won't be plain sailing from day one.

After that... any further shortcomings will become more apparent. A sort of uncanny valley sensation. The closer we get to reality, the more we'll notice when stuff isn't quite right - one of the biggest challenges being virtual arms and hands. Gonna be a while (and probably more than one generation of headsets) before that is truly solved.

Here a piece I did recently for RTVR: http://www.roadtovr.com/top-5-racing-sims-with-oculus-rift-support-virtual-reality/

Thanks chaps - very interesting stuff.

Betta, your early VR videos blew me away, especially the one where you are sitting in a Pagani in the rain. That was a real Whoah moment.

Lovely! Nice work!

We saw Elite Dangerous make plenty of news yesterday with their announcement that they're going to be a "launch" title for Oculus. I would not be surprised at all to see at least a couple of similar announcements coming from the sim world. LFS and iRacing seem the most poised to me. I think anyone able to shout from the rooftops "we have CV1 support!" will benefit greatly. Appetites are going to be insatiable.

Ark

I've spent months eagerly awaiting the Mercedes and Audi GT3's, but I've spent the vast majority of my time in the FR2.0. This car is so much fun!

I even won a race today at the Nurburgring. Started 16th, only overtook five people on the track, but pulled out a win by being consistent and not spinning out. This is the most fun during week 13 I think I've ever had.

I've spent months eagerly awaiting the Mercedes and Audi GT3's, but I've spent the vast majority of my time in the FR2.0. This car is so much fun!

I even won a race today at the Nurburgring. Started 16th, only overtook five people on the track, but pulled out a win by being consistent and not spinning out. This is the most fun during week 13 I think I've ever had.

Nice one!

I coughed up a bunch of cash on cars, but have spent all my time in the free one! :)

VVV Mars VG

A handy insight there Betta Lines, looking forward to getting stuck into VR myself, I've been keenly awaiting the consumer release and after being impressed by the Vive, I've ordered one hopefully to arrive in April.

It's early days for VR but the potential for the racing genre is obvious, not to mention the other range of cockpit experiences that stand to benefit.

A handy insight there Betta Lines, looking forward to getting stuck into VR myself, I've been keenly awaiting the consumer release and after being impressed by the Vive, I've ordered one hopefully to arrive in April.

It's early days for VR but the potential for the racing genre is obvious, not to mention the other range of cockpit experiences that stand to benefit.
Thanks Alan! The Vive sounds awesome, I've yet to get my hands on one. It might take a little longer for sims to support that headset, although Scawen is on the case, so you should have at least Live For Speed to play with in April! Even though Valve/HTC have concentrated on room-scale demonstrations, there's no reason why it shouldn't see just as much support as the Rift with seated, cockpit games in the long run. Plus their tracking solution may end up being more practical for racing-specific issues. Exciting times!

________

Some random Week 13 madness on iRacing: https://youtu.be/USci9lnc-sU

Dave_6

________

Some random Week 13 madness on iRacing: https://youtu.be/USci9lnc-sU

Nice video, and very entertaining :) Tried that car and track out yesterday (by myself) and it's quite fun; easy to lose it cresting the hill though as I found out more than once. I commented in the video but I'll ask here too; how do I move the in-game apps around to different places (lap timer, FPS monitor etc)?

Top Bottom