• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims Thread

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
So after 3 weeks of casual use, my Thrustmaster t300rs died on me and stopped powering on. :/

Researching the issue and it appears this is a common problem among reviews and forums all over. I suppose the belt system can really end up messing things up if playing games with full FFB on and the internal cooling isn't kicking in enough(which is why I suppose the latest drivers adds the option to keep it on always).

In fear of having the same issue, I exchanged it with a Logitech G29. After a bit of testing I didn't really dig the G29. The button placement is awkward and less practical in layout than the t300. Compatibility just straight up sucks if you aren't playing Project Cars(no Codemaster game works with it on PC, except maybe Dirt Rally?) and even Driveclub didn't feel nearly as solid with it. Weird dead-zones I can't fix in-game, and I just didn't like going back to the ratchet-feel of the gear system after the smooth feel of the belt on the t300rs.

Ended up taking it right back and rolling the dice on another t300rs. Plan to tone down the FFB in my games and activate the fan manually more often in hopes of sustaining the lifespan this time.

Anyone else have issues with the recent Thrustmaster belt-driven line? I adore the t300rs otherwise!

Sector3 evaluating UE4 for future project potential:

:eek:

tibmb0d.jpg

KartKraft will be UE4 as well, right?
It's really astounding that 3D engines not made for this can handle racing so well (edit: ok, "so well" might be a stretch, it's still impressive), Unreal, FrostByte and... I wanted to add Ubisofts Anvil-engine to the list, but to be sure I just looked it up; The Crew isn't using that engine (its engine is called "Babel").

KartKraft will be UE4 as well, right?
It's really astounding that 3D engines not made for this can handle racing so well (edit: ok, "so well" might be a stretch, it's still impressive), Unreal, FrostByte and... I wanted to add Ubisofts Anvil-engine to the list, but to be sure I just looked it up; The Crew isn't using that engine (its engine is called "Babel").

RE: KartKraft - Oh that's right, yeah.

It really is crazy. I never thought we'd see the day when a racing sim was powered by a mainstream graphics engine. They've been chalk and cheese forever. It just goes to show you how these modern engines are now so scalable, and so flexible, and so independent of their own parts.

terrible

Banned
So after 3 weeks of casual use, my Thrustmaster t300rs died on me and stopped powering on. :/

Researching the issue and it appears this is a common problem among reviews and forums all over. I suppose the belt system can really end up messing things up if playing games with full FFB on and the internal cooling isn't kicking in enough(which is why I suppose the latest drivers adds the option to keep it on always).

In fear of having the same issue, I exchanged it with a Logitech G29. After a bit of testing I didn't really dig the G29. The button placement is awkward and less practical in layout than the t300. Compatibility just straight up sucks if you aren't playing Project Cars(no Codemaster game works with it on PC, except maybe Dirt Rally?) and even Driveclub didn't feel nearly as solid with it. Weird dead-zones I can't fix in-game, and I just didn't like going back to the ratchet-feel of the gear system after the smooth feel of the belt on the t300rs.

Ended up taking it right back and rolling the dice on another t300rs. Plan to tone down the FFB in my games and activate the fan manually more often in hopes of sustaining the lifespan this time.

Anyone else have issues with the recent Thrustmaster belt-driven line? I adore the t300rs otherwise!
My TX gives off a nice mild burning smell when I've been playing for a while. It's been like that since I got it. I'll have to wait until it actually breaks before getting it replaced though. It works perfectly fine.

I wish I still had the link but some forum had a spreadsheet that showed the failure rate with each wheel among forum users. I think the TX and T300 were north of 30%. Yikes.

TJP

Before people get too carried away..

In hindsight of the recent ‘leak’ I thought it would be best to post something here for you guys.

What I can confirm is that we have a very small team investigating and evaluating newer technologies for the future as we always need to keep ourselves up to date with what's out there and consider our options for whatever the future may bring. We are not working on a new game at this moment and RaceRoom remains our primary focus.

The leaked image is a very early and quite honestly not a very flattering one so it's only right that I share with you something more recent and up to date. Enjoy :)

Best
Chris Speed
Sector3 CEO

https://forum.sector3studios.com/index.php?threads/in-response-to-the-so-called-leak.4459/

It was funny to sit back and watch the the sim racing internet go ga-ga over a test!

Patrick S.

Banned
So the G27 wheel I got is faulty now; I was having a race and crashed into a wall, and suddenly the wheel was off center and the green light on the shifter started flashing. It wont stop flashing now, and when I plug the USB connector of the wheel into the PC, instead of calibrating the whole 900°, it will only rotate a little bit.

I googled and found this guide with steps that supposedly fix the usual culprit of this.

I opened the wheel and this "encoder wheel" thing

original

moves freely on the motor's axis, it's very loose. I can move it quite a lot back and forth. But it's not cracked, as far as I can see.

The guide says to put some hot glue on it. Has anyone here tried that? I'm not sure where on the axis I have to glue it, if as close the motor or as close to the connector as possible? Or, is there a better fix?

I just pulled the encoder so it was straight and away from the motor, but didn't glue it in place. I put it all together again, and now when the wheel tries to calibrate it will rotate even less than before.

Man, I've gotten so used to driving with a wheel that I'd break down if I can't fix it :(

TJP

I thought I was being fairly composed! This how I really felt:

6NRrRXD.jpg
Ha!

Don't get me wrong Big - isimotor physics with UE4 visuals makes me very excited. It'll be a long time before we see any movement; Nurburgring track is about to drop along with a few new cars, new FFB and crash modelling.

:D Of course, of course, but let's dream!

So the G27 wheel I got is faulty now(

I don't know the inner workings of a G27 specifically, but the encoder, which I imagine is the clear-ish piece at 5 o'clock, is reading the little fins on the black circular piece to gauge it's position.

The instructions blurbed into the jpg seem fine. You want the black plastic circle and the shaft to act as one. Cap that shaft/plastic with a dollop of glue.

Patrick S.

Banned
:D Of course, of course, but let's dream!

I don't know the inner workings of a G27 specifically, but the encoder, which I imagine is the clear-ish piece at 5 o'clock, is reading the little fins on the black circular piece to gauge it's position.

The instructions blurbed into the jpg seem fine. You want the black plastic circle and the shaft to act as one. Cap that shaft/plastic with a dollop of glue.

Thanks, tomorrow I'll give it another go, hopefully I find some glue that will work on ABS plastic.

markao

I thought I was being fairly composed! This how I really felt:

6NRrRXD.jpg
quickly skimming through the thread, GTR3........you almost gave an old men a hart-attack ;)

But I hope they now can get something like UE4 to work with the rest of the sim/physics-engine. Would give them a great "tool" to create something stunning.

XenIneX

So the G27 wheel I got is faulty now; I was having a race and crashed into a wall, and suddenly the wheel was off center and the green light on the shifter started flashing. It wont stop flashing now, and when I plug the USB connector of the wheel into the PC, instead of calibrating the whole 900°, it will only rotate a little bit.

I googled and found this guide with steps that supposedly fix the usual culprit of this.

I opened the wheel and this "encoder wheel" thing

original

moves freely on the motor's axis, it's very loose. I can move it quite a lot back and forth. But it's not cracked, as far as I can see.

The guide says to put some hot glue on it. Has anyone here tried that? I'm not sure where on the axis I have to glue it, if as close the motor or as close to the connector as possible? Or, is there a better fix?

I just pulled the encoder so it was straight and away from the motor, but didn't glue it in place. I put it all together again, and now when the wheel tries to calibrate it will rotate even less than before.

Man, I've gotten so used to driving with a wheel that I'd break down if I can't fix it :(

Do you mean it starts turning one way when you plug it in, and then stops after a second or so with the blinking shifter light? Because that's what it does when it can't see a functional USB controller with the right drivers installed. A previously-working setup doing that in the circumstances you describe gives me a nasty suspicion that it may have cooked its controller board. Try uninstalling/reinstalling the drivers and plugging the thing into a different USB port, or test it on another machine with a fresh driver install to be sure.

On the other hand, if it's performing the whole lock-to-lock calibration cycle, but it's not centering properly, and the centering slops all over the place in-use, that's when you suspect the encoder wheel. And that's when you go for one of a brass replacement. Sure, you can try the hot glue, but the thermal expansion/contraction of the shaft has already started cracking the chintzy plastic encoder wheel, and it's only going to get worse.

quickly skimming through the thread, GTR3........you almost gave an old men a hart-attack ;)

But I hope they now can get something like UE4 to work with the rest of the sim/physics-engine. Would give them a great "tool" to create something stunning.

:D

It would be awfully cool, no doubt about it.

TJP

Weren't you a beta tester for SimBin/Sector 3?

Patrick S.

Banned
Do you mean it starts turning one way when you plug it in, and then stops after a second or so with the blinking shifter light? Because that's what it does when it can't see a functional USB controller with the right drivers installed. A previously-working setup doing that in the circumstances you describe gives me a nasty suspicion that it may have cooked its controller board. Try uninstalling/reinstalling the drivers and plugging the thing into a different USB port, or test it on another machine with a fresh driver install to be sure.

On the other hand, if it's performing the whole lock-to-lock calibration cycle, but it's not centering properly, and the centering slops all over the place in-use, that's when you suspect the encoder wheel. And that's when you go for one of a brass replacement. Sure, you can try the hot glue, but the thermal expansion/contraction of the shaft has already started cracking the chintzy plastic encoder wheel, and it's only going to get worse.

Thank you for the suggestions. The problem is like you describe in the first paragraph. I tried it on the PS3, and it does the same thing there :(

Patrick S.

Banned
Ok, it's actually the encoder thingy that's faulty. When I pull it away from the motor, the problem occurs. When I push it towards the motor (and towards the black IR sensor) it calibrates fine and there are no blinking lights. I gues I'll try and put some glue on it and if the problem occurs again I'll have to order one of those brass replacements they make in Thailand, unless I find someone in Europe to sell me one, because it'll take weeks to arrive here from Thailand.

Edit: Yeah, the encoder wheel is cracked in one place and starting to crack in two more places. Now if I can find that ABS glue I had bought to repair a piece from my car's dahboard I'll be good until replacement arrives. At least now I know the problem is going to cost like €30 max to repair, if I have to get that brass encoder wheel.

/blog

markao

Weren't you a beta tester for SimBin/Sector 3?
yes Travis,

but I did not have the time, or in my case energy might be a better word, to do all the testing. And hanging around, just to see the first glimpse of the new stuff, did not feel ok. So I have seen some shots of RRE in Cryengine (years back before RRE started, did not work out with rest engine(physics/cpu)), but not what they have been up to in the last "year", the UE4 stuff.

TJP

yes Travis,

but I did not have the time, or in my case energy might be a better word, to do all the testing. And hanging around, just to see the first glimpse of the new stuff, did not feel ok. So I have seen some shots of RRE in Cryengine (years back before RRE started, did not work out with rest engine(physics/cpu)), but not what they have been up to in the last "year", the UE4 stuff.
I thought I'd seen your name on the beta test list and then it disappeared.

Sector 3 are looking for more active testers if you're still available and interested ;)

UE4 was a surprise to many, myself included.

Lach

Hey Patrick

Sorry to hear you had problems with the wheel I've sent you. Hadn't had the problem you describe when I used it (though that was years ago), so it probably happened during the "storing" period.

Happy you were able to fix it though!

Patrick S.

Banned
Hey Patrick

Sorry to hear you had problems with the wheel I've sent you. Hadn't had the problem you describe when I used it (though that was years ago), so it probably happened during the "storing" period.

Happy you were able to fix it though!

Thanks Lach! The part that broke seems to be a very common thing to break on these wheels, over time. But for now, it's fixed, and should it ever break again I'll just get that reinforced brass replacement part. Thanks again ;)

Megasoum

Banned
Hmmm...

I wonder how many cars will be ported to rF2...I've seen the slowly dying Simraceway cars in rF2, AC cars and tracks in rF2 and now pCARS.

There was a super long (and kinda entertaining) thread about stolen assets in the WMD forums.

Aahhhh WMD... I'm all nostalgic this morning lol.

With Automobilista now a couple weeks into Early Access, we would like to present an overview of our upcoming plans towards the full release of the sim, and a glimpse beyond..

This post will be updated with more info & previews as we advance, but for now here is what we have to share:

Early Access Development Schedule

We estimate AMS to continue in Early Access until the end of april.

New builds should roll out every week for the beta, and every fortnight for the release version of AMS, generally in between thursday and friday. A new build is schedule to be deployed for the public release version of AMS tomorrow (18/03).

Features in development during Early Access

One of our prioritary goals for Early Access is to develop resources to facilitate, complement & stimulate the community´s continuing engagement with Automobilista.

To this end we are developing a Web Portal, featuring:

Web-based Multiplayer Lobby: In addition to the current Matchmaker from the Steam client, users will be able to view & join multiplayer sessions from this Reiza web portal (without necessarily launching the game first). This lobby will eventually be accessible from in-game too.

Official rooms for public multiplayer races, featuring a constantly rotating schedule of official content;

Leaderboards
linked to in-game Time Trial Mode: Set your time in Time Trial and it will immediately sync with the leaderboard for that car/track combo under your Steam name (and update whenever you manage to improve your best time);

League-Finder : A system for leagues to register their championships in order for potential participants to locate them based on the desired series and schedule

Official seasonal competitions tied to the real racing series we represent, presenting some special prizes and opportunities to bridge the gap from virtual to real racing.

Parallel to this, we continue to work in the product itself - AMS core focus is to deliver a cohesive racing simulation platform with a large variety of cars and tracks and advanced simulation features.

To add and improve on that core, we also have a few bits to add:

Driver animations - Integration of this often requested feature is being worked as an option along with a brand new driver model Driver_anm_EFX .png
DynHUD: Further development along with a few alternative layouts + automatic TV overlays for trackside cameras, & developments to the editor to facilitate user customization
Drivetrain modelling / damage: New developments to simulate sequential gearshift mechanisms, plus new electronic features such as downshift protection, antistall; Gears & gearbox will also have a damage model leading to failure if consistently misused or abused;
Dynamic track progression: Will become cumulative during the race weekend (with some deterioration in between sessions);
Turbo modelling, boost / push-to-pass & energy recovery systems will be developed for the cars that feature them;
Air density model affecting engine, tire & aerodynamic properties depending on track altitude;
Multiple race heats, including options for adjustable reverse grids;
Improved corner-cutting detection rules

As usual we will also continue trying to improve the existing platform by ironing out as many issues adding as many improvements as we possibly can so people can enjoy AMS as seamlessly as possible, including the expansion of our user manual (the partial version already available as launch option from Steam).

Content to be added in Full Release

Boxer Cup GT3

The Boxer Cup was voted as the bonus car by backers of the Sim Racing Bonanza campaign. This rear engined, flat-6 Boxer Cup is a 2015-spec car and is meant to fill the gap for a GT3-type car in AMS in style!

Copa Montana

One of the final missing bits of content proposed in the Sim Racing Bonanza campaign, the Copa Montana used to be the support series to brazilian Stock Car, running from 2010 to 2013. The car is based in the old (pre-2009) Stock Car V8 chassis, and has a slightly less powerful V8 engine (350 HP vs 450 HP). The manual sequential gearbox (vs semi-automatic in the main series) brings an extra degree of challenge to the vehicle, and the Montana pickup-style bodywork adds an unique cool variant to our car roster.

Virginia International Raceway (USA)

Virginia International Raceway was voted as the bonus track by participants of the Sim Racing Bonanza campaign, and it will come as an official track to add a very special all-american flavour to the AMS track line-up. This long, winding thrill ride set amongst forests and luxurious resorts includes several layouts, all of which featuring challenging flatout S corners and lots of opportunities for close racing with pretty much any type of car.

Speedland (BRA)

Speedland is a new karting facility set in the heart of Sao Paulo, mixing indoor with outdoor environments. This track is one of the fresh addittions not previously announced to the AMS line-up.

Mendig Airfield Gymkhana

A semi-fictional racing playground based on a german airfield in the town of Mendig - the venue will include a full traditional "airfield" style racetrack between runways and apron roads, eventually growing to also feature variants expanding through the small village & forests that surround the airfield. The airfield itself will be filled a wide variety of challenges and test beds all types of sandbox physics stunts such as a huge Hotwheels-style ramp, a cross-over Supetruck track, slaloms, skid pads and other variants for general oddball fun & games with cars.

Mendig Airfield Gymkhana is another free, previously unnanounced addition to AMS.

Post-release development extras

While the focus remains on completing this fairly extensive plan during Early Access stage towards the full release of AMS, the plans don´t quite stop there - Just like with SCE before, we intend to continue developing AMS throughout the year for as long as it proves to be an affordable venture, with a few extras already being brought to the table. For now these include (but are not limited to) the following:

Custom Championship tool - a tool for players to create championships featuring their own mix of rules, cars and track line-up;
Point-to-point support - for Rally / Hillclimb type events;
Mid-race Saving Option - Offering the chance to save and resume races in single player mode
Content-wise, there will be some further additions to enrich the sim with some further diversity - the idea is to bring more popular / famous international cars & tracks alongside other more exotic options.

The items below are what we can already confirm as FREE content to be added to AMS along the way:

Formula Vintage - new GP series based in a late 60s F1 car to complete our GP heritage line up, covering 6 decades of the sport.
Ibarra - Pitoresque old-style ecuadorian track set in between a beautiful mountainous scenery and the lake Yawarkucha.

DLCs & REIZA MEMBERSHIP PACKAGES

In addition to all the free resources, developments and content presented above, Automobilista will also receive some extra cars & tracks in the shape of paid DLC packages, all sold individually for very reasonable fees, or as a package in our Reiza Membership deals which will also offer some further value for . More information on these packages will be divulged very soon.

------

Patrick S.

Banned
Wow, that looks good indeed.

I'm going to buy either this or rFactor 2, but I can't decide which one to get.

I guess that if I want a greater variety of track and car mods, I should get rFactor 2, right? But at rfactorcentral there are only around 70 cars, and that's supposed to be the biggest site for rFactor resources, isn't it?

Megasoum

Banned
With Automobilista now a couple weeks into Early Access, we would like to present an overview of our upcoming plans towards the full release of the sim, and a glimpse beyond..

This post will be updated with more info & previews as we advance, but for now here is what we have to share:

Early Access Development Schedule

We estimate AMS to continue in Early Access until the end of april.

New builds should roll out every week for the beta, and every fortnight for the release version of AMS, generally in between thursday and friday. A new build is schedule to be deployed for the public release version of AMS tomorrow (18/03).

Features in development during Early Access

One of our prioritary goals for Early Access is to develop resources to facilitate, complement & stimulate the community´s continuing engagement with Automobilista.

To this end we are developing a Web Portal, featuring:

Web-based Multiplayer Lobby: In addition to the current Matchmaker from the Steam client, users will be able to view & join multiplayer sessions from this Reiza web portal (without necessarily launching the game first). This lobby will eventually be accessible from in-game too.

Official rooms for public multiplayer races, featuring a constantly rotating schedule of official content;

Leaderboards
linked to in-game Time Trial Mode: Set your time in Time Trial and it will immediately sync with the leaderboard for that car/track combo under your Steam name (and update whenever you manage to improve your best time);

League-Finder : A system for leagues to register their championships in order for potential participants to locate them based on the desired series and schedule

Official seasonal competitions tied to the real racing series we represent, presenting some special prizes and opportunities to bridge the gap from virtual to real racing.

Parallel to this, we continue to work in the product itself - AMS core focus is to deliver a cohesive racing simulation platform with a large variety of cars and tracks and advanced simulation features.

To add and improve on that core, we also have a few bits to add:

Driver animations - Integration of this often requested feature is being worked as an option along with a brand new driver model Driver_anm_EFX .png
DynHUD: Further development along with a few alternative layouts + automatic TV overlays for trackside cameras, & developments to the editor to facilitate user customization
Drivetrain modelling / damage: New developments to simulate sequential gearshift mechanisms, plus new electronic features such as downshift protection, antistall; Gears & gearbox will also have a damage model leading to failure if consistently misused or abused;
Dynamic track progression: Will become cumulative during the race weekend (with some deterioration in between sessions);
Turbo modelling, boost / push-to-pass & energy recovery systems will be developed for the cars that feature them;
Air density model affecting engine, tire & aerodynamic properties depending on track altitude;
Multiple race heats, including options for adjustable reverse grids;
Improved corner-cutting detection rules

As usual we will also continue trying to improve the existing platform by ironing out as many issues adding as many improvements as we possibly can so people can enjoy AMS as seamlessly as possible, including the expansion of our user manual (the partial version already available as launch option from Steam).

Content to be added in Full Release

Boxer Cup GT3

The Boxer Cup was voted as the bonus car by backers of the Sim Racing Bonanza campaign. This rear engined, flat-6 Boxer Cup is a 2015-spec car and is meant to fill the gap for a GT3-type car in AMS in style!

Copa Montana

One of the final missing bits of content proposed in the Sim Racing Bonanza campaign, the Copa Montana used to be the support series to brazilian Stock Car, running from 2010 to 2013. The car is based in the old (pre-2009) Stock Car V8 chassis, and has a slightly less powerful V8 engine (350 HP vs 450 HP). The manual sequential gearbox (vs semi-automatic in the main series) brings an extra degree of challenge to the vehicle, and the Montana pickup-style bodywork adds an unique cool variant to our car roster.

Virginia International Raceway (USA)

Virginia International Raceway was voted as the bonus track by participants of the Sim Racing Bonanza campaign, and it will come as an official track to add a very special all-american flavour to the AMS track line-up. This long, winding thrill ride set amongst forests and luxurious resorts includes several layouts, all of which featuring challenging flatout S corners and lots of opportunities for close racing with pretty much any type of car.

Speedland (BRA)

Speedland is a new karting facility set in the heart of Sao Paulo, mixing indoor with outdoor environments. This track is one of the fresh addittions not previously announced to the AMS line-up.

Mendig Airfield Gymkhana

A semi-fictional racing playground based on a german airfield in the town of Mendig - the venue will include a full traditional "airfield" style racetrack between runways and apron roads, eventually growing to also feature variants expanding through the small village & forests that surround the airfield. The airfield itself will be filled a wide variety of challenges and test beds all types of sandbox physics stunts such as a huge Hotwheels-style ramp, a cross-over Supetruck track, slaloms, skid pads and other variants for general oddball fun & games with cars.

Mendig Airfield Gymkhana is another free, previously unnanounced addition to AMS.

Post-release development extras

While the focus remains on completing this fairly extensive plan during Early Access stage towards the full release of AMS, the plans don´t quite stop there - Just like with SCE before, we intend to continue developing AMS throughout the year for as long as it proves to be an affordable venture, with a few extras already being brought to the table. For now these include (but are not limited to) the following:

Custom Championship tool - a tool for players to create championships featuring their own mix of rules, cars and track line-up;
Point-to-point support - for Rally / Hillclimb type events;
Mid-race Saving Option - Offering the chance to save and resume races in single player mode
Content-wise, there will be some further additions to enrich the sim with some further diversity - the idea is to bring more popular / famous international cars & tracks alongside other more exotic options.

The items below are what we can already confirm as FREE content to be added to AMS along the way:

Formula Vintage - new GP series based in a late 60s F1 car to complete our GP heritage line up, covering 6 decades of the sport.
Ibarra - Pitoresque old-style ecuadorian track set in between a beautiful mountainous scenery and the lake Yawarkucha.

DLCs & REIZA MEMBERSHIP PACKAGES

In addition to all the free resources, developments and content presented above, Automobilista will also receive some extra cars & tracks in the shape of paid DLC packages, all sold individually for very reasonable fees, or as a package in our Reiza Membership deals which will also offer some further value for . More information on these packages will be divulged very soon.

------

Wow this is fucking amazing!

My favorite sim by far right now and it's getting even better!

TJP

Wow, that looks good indeed.

I'm going to buy either this or rFactor 2, but I can't decide which one to get.
Have you tried the rF2 demo (http://rfactor.net/web/2015/12/09/rfactor-2-demo/) and the SCE demo (http://game-stockcar.com.br/downloads-2/?lang=en)? I realise the SCE demo isn't AMS however it drives very much like AMS.

To be honest, you'll be happy with either sim and if it were my money, I'd wait for another sale ;) Right now I'd buy up AMS and wait for another 40% off sale for rF2, more so if you want access to multiplayer which ISI charges a lot of money for.

I guess that if I want a greater variety of track and car mods, I should get rFactor 2, right? But at rfactorcentral there are only around 70 cars, and that's supposed to be the biggest site for rFactor resources, isn't it?
I believe modders have moved on from rfactorcentral to sites such as Race Department and ISI's own forum. At these two websites, you'll only find so called 'legal' mods that will be scratch made or conversions made with permission from the mods originator. For 'illegal' mods such as the pCARS Formula A, visit Sim Racing For Life on Fecal Book.

Modding in rF2 is slowly building but it's taking a long time to get going anywhere near rFactor level of activity. Complexity, incomplete features and lack of documentation are not helping mod teams. For example the not-Le Mans paid for mod by United Racing Design has 4WD and hybrid systems working in AC and half complete in rF2. The AC version is being worked on first as a result of having more complete features and better documentation.

AMS doesn't have a whole lot of mods either but given it's isimotor 2, it won't be long before the best mods from SCE are ported across. We are already seeing high quality F1 tracks being made for AMS

Patrick S.

Banned
Wow, thank you for this very helpful post!

I did try the rFactor 2 demo and liked the physics and FFB effects, like for example the kickback when you're shifting gears, which neither AC nor pCARS has.

I'm going to try the SCE demo now.

I'm not too worried about physics or graphics in either rFactor 2 or AMS, since people seem to regard both titles very highly in that regard. What I'd love is a game that has (or hopefully in AMS's case will have) good mods, and multiplayer that works and that has active servers.

I'm a bit disappointed in both AC and pCARS in that most of the servers have only a handful of active players.

What I worry about in AMS is that since it seems to be kind of a stopgap game that probably in a year nobody will play it anymore and move on to REIZA's next title, and the cycle of hoping for quality mods begins again.

Patrick S.

Banned
Just saw something curious on a German forum. They put a piece of rubber or foam around the analogue sticks of the controller for smoother input. I think that's not a bad idea at all.

index.php

Shaneus

Just saw something curious on a German forum. They put a piece of rubber or foam around the analogue sticks of the controller for smoother input. I think that's not a bad idea at all.

index.php
Holy shit, that's actually a great idea. No idea how you'd knock one up, but that'd be great, particularly for console racers.

Beats using those KontrolFreekz things anyway.

TJP

Tim Wheatley of ISI was interviewed by RD: http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/image-space-incorporated-exclusive-interview.118789/

Depending on your point of view, it'll either be a very insightful interview or a series of 'no' responses as in no DX11 plan, no plans for VR, no new content bar 3PA. I don't bother reading the ISI "our sim the best ever & largely flawless" forums too often or PRC "everything sucks" blog so I'll be interested in reading the comments here.

Tim's responses...
Tim Wheatley said:
rFactor's beauty is the complexity, the array of options and personalization a community can bring to it. rFactor's failings are the complexity, the array of options and personalization a community can bring to it.
We've already heard from Reiza's Niels that rF2 is very complex and he feels more comfortable with isimotor 2 - a cop out or reality? I'm sure there are many dev teams that would love using isimotor 2.5 with their own graphical solution, so let them have access to it ISI ;)

Tim Wheatley said:
Modders don't like to sit twiddling their thumbs for a day while a tire builds (neither do we), but wanted realistic tires. People don't like packaging mods (neither do we), but every support email I seem to get about rF1 relates to mods breaking installations, mods that overwrite steam files with non-steam files for no good reason (and break it), or different versions of the same thing mismatching. People don't seem to care too much that you can make a realistic setup change and get a realistic result from it. Realroad is hailed as amazing in other sims, but seems overlooked as a feature for us, even though you can do more with it, and it's not based on AI paths.
Realroad is amazing however it begs the question - 'where are the tools and documentation to use all this tech?'. Reading the Reiza Area 51 forum, much of the AI for isimotor 2 is undocumented so working on fixing its flaws is hard. Is the situation the same for isimotor 2.5? Can't use the great tech if only ISI know how it all works.

Tim Wheatley said:
You can go on for a long time with all these things, and at the end of the day it seems that there are very few actual hardcore sim racing people out there. That's OK. It's not what you want to see when you're making those titles, and realize you could have put your efforts somewhere other than your physics, etc, but what are you going to do? You do your own thing, make your own product, and essentially let those who aren't into it be into something else. The only really annoying aspect in all of this is when people say they want pretty much what we have, but attack our product and company anyway because we're not sat behind advertising agencies or aren't early in the process anymore, making their interpretation different when hearing the same answers. Not to say that some things haven't changed.
I find this comment odd as there are thriving private communities using all the sims; RD has good numbers in rF2, AC, R3E, SCE/AMS & pCARS. iRacing looks to be going through a resurgence too!

As for putting effort into somewhere other than physics..a thinly veiled dig at pCARS and Assetto Corsa? I say Assetto Corsa is popular because it looks great, has mostly laser scanned tracks and a decent selection of licenced cars and gives most people a solid approximation of what a car feels like. The modding tools & documentation - from most accounts I've read - are in place and work fine. It is the modern rFactor, just as Kunos had planned it to be.

Patrick S.

Banned
Yeah, this interview sealed my decision of not getting rFactor 2 and getting Automobilista instead, despite being initially much more interested in rFactor 2.

I think this is where ISI's problem is. They want to make a simulation and not a game.

It reminds me of comic readers from the 80s that wanted their genre to grow up and not be for kids anymore, ...to be taken seriously by book critics. To become that, comics had to lose their childishness and get darker and grittier (so the fans thought), which more often than not made them even more stupid in a painfully un-self-aware way, that seemed to have forgotten what made comics fun to read in the first place ...even for adult newcomers.

You can have a perfect racing physics simulation, but that's only one part of what makes racing great. Racing is about the mastery of a very complex task that is dangerous, a rush for the senses and even somewhat ridiculous. ISI are great at offering the task in its complexity but fail on the sensation and excitement part when compared to other current day sims.
They have a small team that probably love their jobs about describing super complex real world phenomena in the language of math by applying computer science. And they love to be patted on the back for how good they are at this by their fans and the paychecks that come with that. But now they are at a point where getting closer to reality takes more and more time and resources with diminishing returns. "Resources" that are also needed elsewhere to keep their product up to date in terms of presentation and content, resulting in fans that are less and less patient, which again means less back patting for the devs that now feel treated unfair by the racing sim community (or at least it seems that way to me).

ISI must realize that they are making a racing game. I'm sure they not only love car physics but also racing so it should be clear that they need to capture the sound, sense of speed and overall excitement of racing. It's ok if they think "but graphics, sound and 3D modeling is not where our strengths are!". Now - with a lot of new Steam-money pouring in their pockets, 3D engines going free-of-charge and lots of studied 3D programmers on the market - now is the time to hire people that are good at that. It is also the time to make sure that your racing sim in also a racing game. One that is exciting and accessible for new users and gives people who don't want to race online more direction in how and what to experience.

There now is an ever growing market for racing sims. But you have to have a good presentation that sells even from watching youtube vidoes and you have to be accessible (teach how to race and accompany your new players on their way to mastery, be playable with a gamepad as well, be socially integrated etc.).I want to give an example for how important accessibility and presentation are:
iRacing has good physics, somwehat outdated presentation, but manage to make themselves look like the premium product for the hardcore players that have a lot of money to spend. Ok, let's say the average iRacing subscriber puts $200 a year into iRacing and lets also say that they had 50,000 subscribers on average every year since they started in 2008 (exaggerated, I think).
50,000 subscribers x 8 years of service x $200 == 80,000,000 USD

Project CARS has a good presentation and sells itself as accessible, but comparatively lacks in the physics department and track accuracy. It also probably cost significantly less to develop than iRacing over the years. It still sold over 1.5 million copies. Let's assume the average copy + optional DLC made SMS $40 and the game was in full development for 4 years.
1,500,000 copies x $40 == 60,000,000 USD

that's 3/4 of iRacing's revenue in half the time with significantly less development cost... all while having roughly the same audience.

Imagine pCARS would be just as it is right now but with physics from ISI. There would be no outcry that the physics are too unaccessible, if anything I'd say the game would more accessible and also more fun to play.

And one last word: You can only bet on the modding community of have a large player base first and then also give them the tools to understand, manage and apply your more and more complex models. If you don't have the accessible tools, then you don't have the mods, if you don't have the mods, you don't have the content, if you don't have the content then you don't have the player base, if you don't have the player base, your mod market will slowly die.

[if I got stuff completely wrong, don't be too harsh on me, I'm not really hardcore and have only about 20h booked in rF2, all of them offline.]

Patrick S.

Banned
I've put more time into pCARS since getting the steering wheel, and at this point I can say that I really don't agree that its physics are crap.

Take that career mission in Assetto Corsa I mentioned I couldn't get past; winning at Imola in the KTM X-Bow. I always always always spun out in the first few corners. I just could not get through them at a decent speed. I tried the same circuit/car combo in pCARS and blasted through those corners without any problem. I thought "yeah, this is arcade shit. AC is real and demanding, this here is like Ridge Racer".

But then I looked at the car's setup in both games and noticed that the X-Bow in pCARS had a lot more camber, and different tire pressure. So I went back to AC and used pCARS' values and went onto the track again. I blasted through the corners just like in pCARS now, first try.

So what I think is that the cars in pCARS are just set up to being more forgiving than the ones in AC. This, combined with the controller configuration in pCARS that is really easy to mess up, has led to people bashing its physics while in reality they are very good. Read this interesting post on the development of the car physics by the vehicle lead on pCARS. Like where he says
Note that we did deviate from the standard RS01 suspension setup slightly for defaults. Numbers from RS indicate 900lb/in front springs and 1200lb/in rears with very low ride heights of 42mm front / 55mm rear. That works quite well at a fast, smooth track like Spa, but is a bit harsh for a lot of others like Oulton Park. Our default raises and softens it a bit to work better all around, but you will find some more pace at the fast tracks with the numbers above.
it's clear that they set up the cars more conservatively.

I've put more time into pCARS since getting the steering wheel, and at this point I can say that I really don't agree that its physics are crap.
I didn't say pCARS' physics are crap. That's hyperbole shit I'd never say. pCARS' physics are better than GT's and Forza's, with the difference that I don't like how their tyre model feels (and sounds!). Comparing pCARS to real world times, it's a little on the fast side, but fairly accurate nonetheless.

Also: Arcade racing games are great too.

Patrick S.

Banned
I didn't say pCARS' physics are crap. That's hyperbole shit I'd never say. pCARS' physics are better than GT's and Forza's, with the difference that I don't like how their tyre model feels (and sounds!). Comparing pCARS to real world times, it's a little on the fast side, but fairly accurate nonetheless.

True, you didn't say they were crap, sorry. I may have read too many Youtube and Racedepartment comments today :p

Also: Arcade racing games are great too.

True. I've spent many hours in arcade racers, too.

Megasoum

Banned
Speaking of Arcade racers... I was talking about Project Gotham Racing 4 with a friend this morning.

Man that game was so much fun. The fact that it included Québec city was obviously a big plus but I'm biased on that one lol.

Sucks that there was many issues with the game when running it from the HDD which means that it will most probably never come to the XB1 with back compatibility.

I think this is where ISI's problem is. They want to make a simulation and not a game.
untitled-2ymqic1au3a.gif

Look, nobody chuckles more than I do when a fight breaks out over calling a sim a game, but simulated racing doesn't need to be any more game than it is by it's very nature. I know that's a deal breaker for a lot of folks. I get it too. I understand. I do. However this is the genre as it's defined on the PC, and has been for 25 years. I'm not saying that's the way it should be, or that it'll be set in stone forever. Just that way of doing things isn't a "problem".

That said!

Should it be easier to use for noobs? Yes
Should it graphically look a lot better? Yes
Could it use a bit more character and excite? Yes
Does it need to appeal to folks who didn't grow up as Papyrus disciples (of which there haven't been any new ones in 10 years)? Yes

I'm not trying to be completely dismissive of your post. I do actually agree with spirit of it. I think ISI has been terrible at recognizing where the player base comes from these days - games.

untitled-2ymqic1au3a.gif

Look, nobody chuckles more than I do when a fight breaks out over calling a sim a game, but simulated racing doesn't need to be any more game than it is by it's very nature. I know that's a deal breaker for a lot of folks. I get it too. I understand. I do. However this is the genre as it's defined on the PC, and has been for 25 years. I'm not saying that's the way it should be, or that it'll be set in stone forever. Just that way of doing things isn't a "problem".

That said!

Should it be easier to use for noobs? Yes
Should it graphically look a lot better? Yes
Could it use a bit more character and excite? Yes
Does it need to appeal to folks who didn't grow up as Papyrus disciples (of which there haven't been any new ones in 10 years)? Yes

I'm not trying to be completely dismissive of your post. I do actually agree with spirit of it. I think ISI has been terrible at recognizing where the player base comes from these days - games.

Thanks for your opinion.
The game vs. sim debate is as interesting as it is weird, as motorsport on its own is a sport and "game" as well, just like football. A FIFA with fantastic physic accuracy played in a VR-suit with haptic feedback will hopefully still be called a "game" and not a "sim".

TJP

What a strange interview. I think I'd have preferred to remain blissfully unaware of its contents.
Keep the faith, brother! ISI do their own thing for better or worse. No DX11 sucks and their overall plan seems scattershot at best but just keep playing and forget about the interview ;)

To recap:

• Virtual Reality will not be implemented as it's not popular enough right now according to ISI,
  • Moving to DX11 isn't likely,
  • Dirt pick up on tyres will not be implemented (unlike AMS; Tim says stay on track),
  • Damage modelling not likely to improved (Tim says not to crash),
  • No timeframe for GT 500 car (revealed in 2013),
  • ISI talking to an F1 team for a licensed car,
  • Hybrid/KERS system will be implemented with the F1 car,
  • Suzuka is coming,
  • ISI is working on a new title that is NOT rF3,
  • ISI is looking into DLC,
I was hoping the frankly moronic $50 charged for multiplayer would fund a lot of this..

I was having a great morning Megasoum and then I read this..
Speaking of Arcade racers... I was talking about Project Gotham Racing 4 with a friend this morning.

Man that game was so much fun. The fact that it included Québec city was obviously a big plus but I'm biased on that one lol.

Sucks that there was many issues with the game when running it from the HDD which means that it will most probably never come to the XB1 with back compatibility.
859413440.gif

Some of us are still trying to get over the loss of Bizarre Creations and no more PGR.

Top Bottom