• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims Thread

Looks great, I would like to see a comparison with Assetto and iRacing, all these sims getting laserscanning Nurburgring is pretty exciting.

I'm not sure, for most tracks racing game developers contract a company that specializes in laserscanning to scan a track for them, but in some cases there are independent companies that just offer laserscan data of certain tracks and I that's true for the Nürburgring too. I'm guessing FM5/6, AC, iR and R3E (have I forgotten one?) will all be based on the same laserscanning data?!?? The differences should be mainly in atmosphere, surface friction constants and curb modeling, but maybe there are differences in the physics-resolution of the track surface.

Zeth

I'll have to peel myself away from AC to check out the Raceroom Nords. The new update is so good. Old tracks look amazing now - love Mugello, really needed it. And the Mustang is a blast for driving sideways. The new dash cam is great - pretty close to my usual camera, but nice that it uses your FoV setting. Should be pretty useful in the console version too.

edit: now I'm thinking about buying another T300/TX just to have a backup - these reports are worrying me. Mine's been going strong since it released. I love it.

yea, I can completely forget about getting anything done this weekend, because I will do nothing but play RaceRoom. Had a hard time to get on the track because of server overload, but as soon as I got in, man(!) the handling and feel of the car is great in this game. First thing that calls itself a sim that I play and completely don't care if it's realistic or authentic or how to squeeze another second out of my car with a better line or a tweak to the setup... it's so(!) fun just to drive and drive and drive, feels fantastic for my tastes.

Say whatever you like about Sector3's Freemium approach, this Nordschleife for 10 bucks is a steal. Can't remember the last time I broke into a "omg this awesome"-laugh in a racing sim like I did when I watched the replay from my first 2 laps (BMW M3 E30 Group A) and the car sound was reverberating like in a tunnel on a narrow section and also shifting down in pitch from the doppler effect as the car went off into the distance. I could feel that sound in my chest. So good.

Megasoum

Banned
Statement from SMS about mod support in pCARS.... Really fucking cool!

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sh...-GT3-Project&p=1255987&viewfull=1#post1255987

Yes sorry guys, we've a lot going on right now and this change going live rather went under the radar; the plan was to provide documentation at the time of the patch coming out. The summary is that we've actually added support for mods which will make it easier to add new content, not harder, but doing so has broken the current approach (which was far from ideal and open to abuse).

Unfortunately the relevant owners are away on a business trip today, so I can't promise an immediate update (or even before the Easter break).

We think the GT3 mod rocks and actually used it to implement this new feature, so please don't think otherwise. I can only apologise again for the bad management on my part which led to this short term upset.

Patrick S.

Banned
Holy cow, the new Assetto Corsa update is GREAT!

I didn't read the changelog before firing it up, and the first thing I did was drive the McLaren MP412C GT3 at Brands Hatch and I inmediately noted that the exhaust flames are 1000% better and more real, and the car sound has changed a lot, plus there is some AWESOME reverb coming off the narrower parts of the track. That put a huuuuuge smile on my face, sounded really really powerful. Also cool is the fact that the AI cars now clip through you in the pit and pit lane; no more having to back-and-forth or powerslide out of narrower pits, and no more getting rammed from AI cars in the pit lane.

The Mustang and Vette are very nicely done as well. The desert track is fun to drive, but if I were to nitpick, it has some noticeable LOD and off-track object pop in.

I just can't get enough of this game, and it gets better and better all the time.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
It's 100% necessary to get a stand? I have carpet flooring and will get the T3PA pro.

I was able to find an equivalent deal on NCIX for 409CDN so I'm gonna go with that.

Not necessary to have the stand, but you will appreciate the convenience of having everything locked in(no worries about the pedals shifting about and such, and you can make any adjustment needed to accommodate your sitting position whereas your sitting position and pedals need to adjust to the clamps otherwise...). Plus it folds up real nice and convenient for simple storage and setup, which you will appreciate after the honeymoon phase wears out and you start to consider the hassle of setup and teardown into your play sessions...

Just a thought as I do consider the stand a more practical purchase ahead of the pro pedals and shifter(unless you are REALLY dead-set on not using the wheel paddles for shifting).

Megasoum

Banned
Better watch out for FOM then!

Really thinking I might buy this, been itching for a career mode racer for PC for yonks. Is the DLC worth it? And what's the lowest it's been on sale?

Not sure about the price... I ended up buying all of them with the "investment" returns I got from SMS.

You can check if there's a deal available right now for your and the lower price recorded here

I think it's really up to you if it's worth it or not. It's kinda clear cut. There's a couple of car packs and a couple of track+car packs.

Personnaly I don't really care about extra cars but the tracks are nice to have.

-The test track is...a test track lol. Not really a place where you'll want to race but it's fun to drive around.
-Ruapuna: I don't really know that track... I should probably drive it at some point lol
-Historic track pack: Rouen les essarts is great, Hockenheim and Silvertstone classics are...well... classics lol
-Bannochbrae is fun... It's a super long rollercoaster kind of track.

Tyl3n0L85

Neo Member
I don't know if it's old news but today Turn 10 announced that every future Forza games will be available for both Xbox One and PC.

We knew about Forza 6: Apex however it's nice to have an official word from Dan Greenawalt himself about future full fledged games.

https://youtu.be/VHS8Xrgfg8U

Megasoum

Banned
I don't know if it's old news but today Turn 10 announced that every future Forza games will be available for both Xbox One and PC.

We knew about Forza 6: Apex however it's nice to have an official word from Dan Greenawalt himself.

https://youtu.be/VHS8Xrgfg8U

Yeah it was mentionned at the same time that Apex was announced but not sure if it was official or not.

I kinda lost interest in Forza after 5 and 6 (really didn't like 6) but I'm always curious to try them.

TJP

I'm not sure, for most tracks racing game developers contract a company that specializes in laserscanning to scan a track for them, but in some cases there are independent companies that just offer laserscan data of certain tracks and I that's true for the Nürburgring too. I'm guessing FM5/6, AC, iR and R3E (have I forgotten one?) will all be based on the same laserscanning data?!?? The differences should be mainly in atmosphere, surface friction constants and curb modeling, but maybe there are differences in the physics-resolution of the track surface.
AC and R3E bought the Nurburgring data from the same company ;)

AC and R3E bought the Nurburgring data from the same company ;)
Do you know that the other two have data from different sources or is there just no information about that out there? I've heard Turn 10 usually contracts a company that is known to do laserscanning for oil companies, but I bet they just bought existing data for the Nordschleife, guess that would be the same as AC and R3E then. I could see iRacing having a different source.

TJP

Do you know that the other two have data from different sources or is there just no information about that out there? I've heard Turn 10 usually contracts a company that is known to do laserscanning for oil companies, but I bet they just bought existing data for the Nordschleife, guess that would be the same as AC and R3E then. I could see iRacing having a different source.
I only know what the Sector 3 guys tell their beta testers...that's how I know that AC and R3E have the same data resource. It wouldn't surprise me if dev teams have the same data from the same companies and it wouldn't surprise me if iRacing does their laser scanning alone.

And for what it's worth, no sim has an 100% accurate Nurburgring as areas of the track have been resurfaced since the laser scanning was done ;)

I read Turn10 scan the track surface and not the surrounding areas but I've no idea if that is correct.

I read Turn10 scan the track surface and not the surrounding areas but I've no idea if that is correct.
I doubt that, I think I've seen a video of one of their track modeling guys explaining something about their new tool for translating point clouds into 3D images, they then touch up and he had CAD data of longbeach on his screen waving his hand over the screen like he was talking about the palms on the side of the track. The fictional prague track is also cobbled together from laserscan data of prague, wouldn't make sense if it was just the road surface that was scanned. I could see them not using the accurate data they have in exchange for some more dramatic trackside stuff though or to get to their constant 60fps target.

Oooh, if Kunos have finally sorted their AI out, I'll really need to give their sim another go. Not played it for many many months, simply due to the AI. And endurance racing? Now I'm interested.
What drugs was I smoking when I wrote this yesterday? Kunos fix their AI? It's still awful :(

Mascot

Really thinking I might buy this, been itching for a career mode racer for PC for yonks. Is the DLC worth it? And what's the lowest it's been on sale?

The GOTY edition is out in a month or so (6th May, I think), and that includes all the DLC (plus the next car/Nurburgring Combined Nordschieife + GP circuit pack, not yet released).

Not sure how the economics work out, but it might be worth looking at.

http://www.projectcarsgame.com/home/announcing-project-cars-game-of-the-year-edition

Edit: one of the upcoming car mods:

Cep-ZyBXEAE7RQn_zpsmhhmw8nb.jpg

A little bit of wee just came out.

Watevaman

The light music in the background makes this.

edit: I didn't have a chance last night to try out the R3E update (slow internet, big download) and I didn't see it in any of the pre-release notes, but is there any multiclass ability yet? If not, TJP, are you allowed to drop any hints at when/if it might arrive?

Megasoum

Banned
It's not really a PC racing sim but anyone looking for a fun Android/iOS game should check out Motorsport Manager.

Really well made racing management sim. Good production value and it's only 99 cents (I thin it was free on iOS at some point this week.. Not sure if that's still the case).

There are micro transactions but they are only cheats to get more money. Not really any p2w stuff and it's only offline anyway.

Onemic

I think Im beginning to see the use of a racing stand now....Gonna see how it works out without one and then buy the pro stand V2 if it doesnt. Most likely I'll have to get one anyway because once GT:S comes out I'll probably be moving the wheel and other peripherals around a ton.

Man, the Pagani Zonda R Nordschleife lap times are really far off of that 6:47 real life record lap in every game I see. One day and some guy already did a 6:17 in R3E.

Patrick S.

Banned
Man, the Pagani Zonda R Nordschleife lap times are really far off of that 6:47 real life record lap in every game I see. One day and some guy already did a 6:17 in R3E.

I think a big factor is that in a game you don't fear your life, that must show in the laptimes people pull off in simulators.

I think a big factor is that in a game you don't fear your life, that must show in the laptimes people pull off in simulators.
Nah, this is a very extreme case. Saw the time of a real life touring car driver in R3E(seen that guy doing good on other leaderboards too), did a 6:43 in the BMW Z4, in real life a I've seen a 6:48 in that car.
I mesn, you're not wrong, that's definitely true, but that's not the full story with that car.

terrible

Banned
I think Im beginning to see the use of a racing stand now....Gonna see how it works out without one and then buy the pro stand V2 if it doesnt. Most likely I'll have to get one anyway because once GT:S comes out I'll probably be moving the wheel and other peripherals around a ton.

You might also want to consider a Playseat Challenge if you end up needing a stand/seat. That's what I bought instead of a wheel stand. It's still small enough to tuck away into a closet or something when you're not using it but it has you in a more comfortable racing position than with a wheel stand I'd imagine. That was the main reason I bought it over a wheel stand. I'll probably be sticking with it until I have room for a proper cockpit.

Edit: Oh yeah, if you have a shifter the Playseat Challenge becomes tricky though. Might just be easier to stick with the wheelstand now that I think of it lol.

Patrick S.

Banned
Nah, this is a very extreme case. Saw the time of a real life touring car driver in R3E(seen that guy doing good on other leaderboards too), did a 6:43 in the BMW Z4, in real life a I've seen a 6:48 in that car.
I mesn, you're not wrong, that's definitely true, but that's not the full story with that car.

Hmmm, but the Nordschleife is more than 20 kilometers long. I don't think five seconds of difference is huge for such a long track. Did the guy do more than one lap in real life? Would be interesting to see a couple of his real life times, to see the difference between his best and worst lap.

Hmmm, but the Nordschleife is more than 20 kilometers long. I don't think five seconds of difference is huge for such a long track. Did the guy do more than one lap in real life? Would be interesting to see a couple of his real life times, to see the difference between his best and worst lap.
No, you are right, those 5 seconds can absolutely be explaned by the "fear for life and money"(edit: and that guy is not GT3 in realife so nothing to compare for the same driver)I was talkng about that 6:47(real life record for a production based car; edit: that's been beaten now I think) in the Pagani Zonda R vs. the 6:17 one guy did in R3E after one day of the track being out. I've seen 6:22 in AC on youtube, pCARS times are like 6:05 or so on the leaderboards, if I remember that right(those probably involve some funky stuff, but still). I did a 6:41(hope I remember that right) in GT6 maybe 2 years ago myself without traction control and without trying too had and I'm not really good at racing games.
Could be that Pagani is giving out some exaggerated data, but their Huyara is more on the slow side in the games it's in cmpared to real life, why only cheat with the Zonda R data...
(Great, now I look like an obsessed dork, why did I write all this?!)

Onemic

You might also want to consider a Playseat Challenge if you end up needing a stand/seat. That's what I bought instead of a wheel stand. It's still small enough to tuck away into a closet or something when you're not using it but it has you in a more comfortable racing position than with a wheel stand I'd imagine. That was the main reason I bought it over a wheel stand. I'll probably be sticking with it until I have room for a proper cockpit.

Edit: Oh yeah, if you have a shifter the Playseat Challenge becomes tricky though. Might just be easier to stick with the wheelstand now that I think of it lol.

Ya, It's pretty much only that mount I can get. Do you know if it supports attaching a fanatec handbrake to it as well?

Makikou

So iRacing pulled off #DirtConfirmed as a "April Fools joke".. but i guess it's also real.

It's like the community is getting meta-trolled. Confirming something for real but pretending to be april fooling us.

Well, now Clint Bowyer has confirmed iRacing scanned his car. Dale Earnhardt Jr. tweeted about Dirt coming to iRacing..

And now a dev said on forums:

The only thing I can add to this conversation is...

#DirtConfirmed

Soon....

and you're welcome.

TJP

There is a simple explanation: The GTR-X class hasn't been touched in ages - it's running the VERY old physics & tyre models from when R3E was aimed at being Forza-lite rather than GTR 3. It's so out of date we don't beta test the class except for the ability for the AI to make pitstops.

As for the updated cars being faster than the real world, a simple tweak to the surface friction level results in outright laptimes tumble!. The leaderboard times are set in optimal conditions - you have optimal tyre temp, track temp & very low fuel as the fuel load isn't factored in nor is tyre wear.

Information regarding the future of the classes:
J-F from Sector 3 said:
Group 5 is being worked on
Pagani Zonda (soon to be single make cup) was started on, but put on hold waiting for data.
Audi TT RS VLN is in the hands of Jürgen Wohlfarth for feedback on the handling, waiting for news from him.
GTR2 / GTR1 : dropped an idea somewhere on the forum about merging them and bringing in there the remains of the GTRX class, there's a pro and a con to that. Still think it would be good to have them all in a class with GTE specs.
Group A: Probably the next after Gr 5.
I'm glad to read more than a few people are enjoying the latest updates; so few people @ Sector 3 pushing out updates nowdays.

terrible

Banned
Ya, It's pretty much only that mount I can get. Do you know if it supports attaching a fanatec handbrake to it as well?

With a wheelstand? It doesn't look like there's room for both a shifter and a handbrake in the pictures I've seen but I'm sure if you were creative enough you could come up with a solution that'd work. That's the beauty of this hobby lol.

Onemic

Is there a Motorsport/WRC thread around? I could only find up to the 2014 thread.

With a wheelstand? It doesn't look like there's room for both a shifter and a handbrake in the pictures I've seen but I'm sure if you were creative enough you could come up with a solution that'd work. That's the beauty of this hobby lol.

I dunno if I'm gonna go through all that trouble....we'll see as I still gotta wait for fanatec to get their clamps back in stock.

Handbrake isnt as necessary as I thought it would anyway, so I can do without.

:O

I wasn't getting my hopes up that it would be anything beyond dirt ovals (which would be fine as dirt sprint cars are about as mad as it comes), but rallycross, that's an actual step in a new direction.

I wonder how they plan on using it. I can't imagine they'll introduce an entire season worth of tracks at the same time.

Branson

I would say Dirt Ovals are already in a new direction. We don't have a lot of current games trying to capture this very big part of US Motorsports. Hell, oval racing is underrepresented in all of the current big sim offerings except iRacing. Honestly I'm more excited for the oval part of dirt because I've already spent time in the 300 rally games that are out.

Information regarding the future of the classes:
I'm glad to read more than a few people are enjoying the latest updates; so few people @ Sector 3 pushing out updates nowdays.
Thanks for the info.

Don't let anything overly drastic happen to the Group A cars. They're just a pleasure to drive and experience as they are (already).

They will have to completely revamp the safety rating and collision system if they want to add dirt rallycross stuff.
I think they could make it another 'fun' series, where SR doesn't count. Collision system seems decent? I've had some good side-by-side jostling in the new MX-5...

Megasoum

Banned
I think they could make it another 'fun' series, where SR doesn't count. Collision system seems decent? I've had some good side-by-side jostling in the new MX-5...

I meant more the collision system as in how it inpact the safety rating... Not the actual physics

Top Bottom