• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims Thread

If they're going to pull the F1 rules and regs out of a hat, let's go all in. Every track shall be mandated to have an Ascari chicane. Who's with me?

mzaxmsjl.gif

Is there anyway to push AC's AI past 100%, like in the gmotor sims? I recently purchased the Brands Hatch DLC and by my 10th lap of the Indy Circuit, I'm already 2+ seconds faster than the leader.

Is there anyway to push AC's AI past 100%, like in the gmotor sims? I recently purchased the Brands Hatch DLC and by my 10th lap of the Indy Circuit, I'm already 2+ seconds faster than the leader.
Ah, if I can't speed them up, I guess I can slow myself down with hard tyre compounds.

Ah, if I can't speed them up, I guess I can slow myself down with hard tyre compounds.

Yeah I was going to say fit different tires, or choose a slower car for yourself if that's possible.

There's nothing worse than hitting AI difficulty walls. Maxed out they should be unbeatable by human beings. There's really no excuse capping it a level that achievable by normal people.

Yeah I was going to say fit different tires, or choose a slower car for yourself if that's possible.

There's nothing worse than hitting AI difficulty walls. Maxed out they should be unbeatable by human beings. There's really no excuse capping it a level that achievable by normal people.
Just sat down to redriver yesterday's race, but with harder compound tyres, only to discover the RS1600 is a single tyre compound car. Grrrr. At least I can top it to the brim with fuel!

Edit: In the end, a full tank of fuel + the longest gearing possible makes me 0.8s slower than before, meaning I still need to slow myself down another 1.2s. Now I know how Mercedes F1 must feel on Fridays. Next up: tyre pressures and suspension.

DD

Am I the only person who f*ckin' hates Moscow Raceway? I was doing a Silhouette race on RaceRoom yesterday, and that track... URGH!!!

DD

I've been playing RaceRoom for the last few days and it's awesome how much content there is now. But it really breaks my heart when I see the prices of that stuff in my currency, since it's paired with the Dollar and Brazil is under a f*ckin' crysis. For example, the Nordschleife circuit alone costs R$ 40,61 on RaceRoom store. It's double the price of Assetto Corsa's Dream Pack 1, that comes with all three layouts of that same track and 10 cars for R$ 19,99 on Steam. I know they have nothing to do with the value of currencies and that they aren't doing charity work there, but damn... =/

TheBear

Is Automobilista still in early access? How far off from a finished product is it?

I usually prefer to jump into these things once they are the complete version

Is Automobilista still in early access? How far off from a finished product is it?

I usually prefer to jump into these things once they are the complete version
It's the most complete out of all the current PC sims.

I've been playing RaceRoom for the last few days and it's awesome how much content there is now. But it really breaks my heart when I see the prices of that stuff in my currency, since it's paired with the Dollar and Brazil is under a f*ckin' crysis. For example, the Nordschleife circuit alone costs R$ 40,61 on RaceRoom store. It's double the price of Assetto Corsa's Dream Pack 1, that comes with with all three layouts of that same track and 10 cars for R$ 19,99 on Steam. I know thay have nothing to do with the value of currencies and that they aren't doing charity work there, but damn... =/
And about the same price as 'autumn sale' Assetto Corsa! :O

Patrick S.

Banned
Having a G27, I can tell you that it's a very nice wheel, and will massively improve your experience and enjoyment of racing games.

You don't need to spend hundreds and hundreds of $/€ on a gaming wheel. Don't feel guilty or like a loser because you haven't spent € 800 on a wheel setup. Hell, I've paid around that amount of money for the IRL car I've driven during this winter...

The G27 is fine.

Megasoum

Banned
A lot of people jump onto the G27, but I'd really suggest going for a T300rs if you can.

I would most definitely agree that you should go for a T300 or TX wheel if you can afford it.

If you want a budget wheel running on a gear system then I would pick up a Thrustmaster T150 or TMX before getting an old g27.

Arucardo

I would most definitely agree that you should go for a T300 or TX wheel if you can afford it.

If you want a budget wheel running on a gear system then I would pick up a Thrustmaster T150 or TMX before getting an old g27.

I'll second this, I'd never go back to a gear driven wheel after having two belt driven ones (PWTS and TX).

DD

Is there any word on fixing the colisions physics in RaceRoom? It's really bad. A little bump or nudge can make you lose control of the car, and it's been like this since forever. =/

TJP

Is there any word on fixing the colisions physics in RaceRoom? It's really bad. A little bump or nudge can make you lose control of the car, and it's been like this since forever. =/
On the to-do list. Race the AI with the adaptive mode on and they race a lot better but aren't perfect.

Zeth

AC Mod Roundup

Includes the Ford Fiesta RS WRC from RallyLegends released today. And the Veloce GTS-8, wow, that came out of nowhere. Ridiculously good looking model. Drives like a V8 dropped into a Lotus (which it also looks like, if you squint).

Sanity has prevailed and Automobilista is back and available on Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/app/431600

I'm sure the morons found on PRC will post articles about how the illegal sim is back and criminals in Brazil have won.

Good news for Reiza - how people can root against an underdog like that is a mystery to me. Still some of the best PC simming out there for my money.

Can't comment on the T300 but the TX while it is a fantastic wheel has a really big drawback, after prolonged heavy FFB use the FFB mechanism "shuts off" to avoid damage of the motors, i find that really crappy, i have an old G27 and it has never done that, bought the TX for Forza 6 and in PC is fantastic but the FFB Turn off is really off putting

DD

On the to-do list. Race the AI with the adaptive mode on and they race a lot better but aren't perfect.

Great! This is currently the second most anoying thing in this game for me. A little bump on the car in front and you both go out, which is weird, since things like this happen all the time on touring races.

I was doing a race on Mid Ohio one our ago and right at the start a Ferrari P4/5 simply touched the left side of my Audi R8 on the straight and I imediatly got sideways. Very, VERY werd behavior.

Sanity has prevailed and Automobilista is back and available on Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/app/431600

I'm sure the morons found on PRC will post articles about how the illegal sim is back and criminals in Brazil have won.

Glad to see this problem in the past. I wonder if they'll bring the new stock cars. They're better to drive and look a little more sexyer.

Megasoum

Banned
Can't comment on the T300 but the TX while it is a fantastic wheel has a really big drawback, after prolonged heavy FFB use the FFB mechanism "shuts off" to avoid damage of the motors, i find that really crappy, i have an old G27 and it has never done that, bought the TX for Forza 6 and in PC is fantastic but the FFB Turn off is really off putting

I've never had that happened to my TX in over 2 years of use.

GHG

So I'm thinking about spending some money on the RaceRoom Experience, what's the cheapest way to go about this. Should I use the Steam version or does it not make any difference?

Also what packs does everyone recommend?

I also need to sell my Xbox one and get a wheel soon. Is this one any good?: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B015KJ0SES/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I've been out of the loop on wheel setups for a while, it's time to get back to it though!

TJP

Was this resolved behind closed doors? Nothing in the game has changed at first glance.
No idea but nothing has changed ;) I presume the take down notice was found to be lacking in substance. I

Good news for Reiza - how people can root against an underdog like that is a mystery to me. Still some of the best PC simming out there for my money.
Lose a few braincells and read the PRC blog - they currently have a hard-on for Reiza Studios.

I was doing a race on Mid Ohio one our ago and right at the start a Ferrari P4/5 simply touched the left side of my Audi R8 on the straight and I imediatly got sideways. Very, VERY werd behavior.
The beta testing team has complained for ages about the shite AI and the magnetic cars..it'll take some fixing but I have confidence that Sector 3 can fix it in time. Right now fixing issues with the larger grid sizes in multiplayer is the main focus; it sucks to have such a small crew of people to work on this sim but that's what the CEO wants. Just found out the highest spec PC they have runs a GTX 970!

Never happened to mine either.
for statistics: me neither, but I'm more on the careful side with the FFB settings when using the TX.

I also need to sell my Xbox one and get a wheel soon. Is this one any good?: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B015KJ0SES/?tag=neogaf0e-20
perfect setup *thumb up* (I have no idea about pricing these days though)

So I'm thinking about spending some money on the RaceRoom Experience, what's the cheapest way to go about this. Should I use the Steam version or does it not make any difference?

Also what packs does everyone recommend?
They have sales every now and then (easter was 50% off for all non-pack items and they had a "get everything"-sale last year). The things you already own won't be paid twice, even if you buy them in packs. Steam has no disadvantage, I think. There is also an auto discount: The more you buy at a time, the higher the discount. I would recommend the GT3 cars (or ADAC GT Masters pack and buy GT3 liveries, but I have a feeling there will be a new edition very soon) and I love the touring classics (maybe try the BMW E30). The NSU Prinz is super fun and cheap and 1992 DTM is great. The European and American track packs are worth their money, but maybe try the game before you go all-in. I don't need to mention the Nordschleife, do I?

Megasoum

Banned
Statement from Reiza about Automobilista

http://forum.reizastudios.com/threa...n-steam-now-reinstated-updated.284/#post-3041

As previously reported, Valve & Reiza had received a DMCA notice for Automobilista, which resulted in the game being taken down from Steam for a couple of weeks according to the regulated standard procedure. The matter was discussed and clarified with the complaining party who withdrew the complaint, shortly before it was due to elapse.

We have in any case elected to modify several of the fictional cars in the game to feature different designs, and will continue to update them as a preventive measure to avoid similar confusion about whether part of the content in the game presented & branded as fictional / unofficial is indeed so. Many of these changes have already been introduced in the latest v0.8.9 update.

While current US jurisprudence regarding application of copyright / trademark law in videogames indicates the legal validity of such claims may be debatable, ultimately it shouldn´t really matter as we feel the inherent value of Automobilista does not relate to the visual accuracy (or lack thereof) of some of its unofficial cars, but rather to the quality and realism of the racing experience that it provides and which we produce.

With this hopefully established, we´d like to thank everyone for your continuing support - rest assured we have been and continue pushing hard towards getting Automobilista ready for full release!

terrible

Banned

Megasoum

Banned
And yet games like GTA V get away with having cars that look near identical to real-life cars with no issue. Got to pick on the little guys I guess? I can't blame them for altering the look of their cars now to prevent such an issue in the future, it's just unfortunate that they have to waste time on doing something like that.

Yup... I don't care if the cars don't look like real world cars... I just hate that they have to waste dev time on that.

for statistics: me neither, but I'm more on the careful side with the FFB settings when using the TX.

Yeah I'm thinking it's due to the step down power converter I'm using (US Spec TX and i'm from chile), since i believed this problem to be just present on Xbox One, but just tried it this weekend on PC with GTR2 (on which the FFB worked beautifully) until it shut off...

Good news.

To be honest, I found some of Reiza's practices to be rather ballsy. Use of the name "Formula 1", some of the liveries and names. Too ballsy for folks with such modest revenue.

Dave_6

Gah, I'm so close to finally pulling the trigger on the TX wheel. If I do I will be keeping my G27 as a backup because of the reliability issues I've read about.

I can't say I paid attention to any of the series' names, but if that's true, wow.

Actually, I may be wrong about that. This picture is what made me believe that was the case, but I'm looking at a few youtube videos now, and don't see these descriptions in the game itself. Only Formula Reiza, Retro, V10, so on and so forth. Those are fine. They don't poke the bear.

terrible

Banned
Gah, I'm so close to finally pulling the trigger on the TX wheel. If I do I will be keeping my G27 as a backup because of the reliability issues I've read about.

Do you need Xbox One support or is this for PC only? The T300 comes with a much better wheel add-on, basically identical to the GTE wheel. If you're looking at one of those 599XX alcantara TX bundles or whatever then this doesn't matter but the stock TX wheel add-on is not very good imo.

Megasoum

Banned
Actually, I may be wrong about that. This picture is what made me believe that was the case, but I'm looking at a few youtube videos now, and don't see these descriptions in the game itself. Only Formula Reiza, Retro, V10, so on and so forth. Those are fine. They don't poke the bear.

Yeah those real names are never used in game afaik... That picture exists to tell you which formula the fake ingame name is emulating.

Dave_6

Do you need Xbox One support or is this for PC only? The T300 comes with a much better wheel add-on, basically identical to the GTE wheel. If you're looking at one of those 599XX alcantara TX bundles or whatever then this doesn't matter but the stock TX wheel add-on is not very good imo.

I'd like to be able to use it for my Xbox One, especially since I've never tried any Forza with a wheel.

Megasoum

Banned

While I agree that the default TX rim is the worst of the whole line, I kinda liked it for some reason even if it does feel cheap.

Obviously I'm super happy with my big Alcantara rim right now but I dunno...

One thing I have to say about all the add-on rims from Thrustmaster... The button placement is kinda terrible. Well for the round rims anyway, haven't tried the F1 rim. With the TX rim I could easily reach all the buttons with my thumb where I need to take my hand off the rim to press most of them on the Alcantara.

While I agree that the default TX rim is the worst of the whole line, I kinda liked it for some reason even if it does feel cheap.
Eh..., build-quality is ok with that thing.
Only used it for 10 minutes long after I had a GTE and 599XX wheel-addon just to test something and was suprised that the quality is actually fine (except for the ridiculous d-pad). What's wrong is the weight and weight distribution ...and with it the rotational inertia and overall feel. The GTE is a bit heavy for it's diameter, the 599XX is pretty much perfect for the TX motor (already too light/small for the T500 again imo).

I wonder if an AkkuForce without gears and belts has the same problems and the motor is too big to make rims with a low angular mass feel good.

Probably because it's really light, so it delivers the best FFB detail.

One thing I have to say about all the add-on rims from Thrustmaster... The button placement is kinda terrible. Well for the round rims anyway, haven't tried the F1 rim. With the TX rim I could easily reach all the buttons with my thumb where I need to take my hand off the rim to press most of them on the Alcantara.
To be fair, that is how many of the real-world racing rims are like too. Modern Formula rims are better for this, and are extending to other series (e.g. GT3), but even those have functions that require you to change your grip to reach them.

The TX Italia design has many concessions towards the 'game controller' end of the spectrum, whereas the Alcantara is going for the more authentic layout, at the expense of some convenience.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

Yea big reason I haven't changed wheel rims on my t300 is that the button layout is great on the default.

Ark

This is making the rounds on the news sites, but we'll post it here too because it's cool:

DK2+greenscreen+Assetto Corsa

What's VR sim racing like? It's like that.

I need an Oculus Rift for iRacing. Now.

The Formula Renault in VR would be fucking godlike. Speaking of which, I need to pull myself away from Dark Souls 3 this week and put in a couple of races around Road Atlanta. One of my favourite tracks coupled with my new favourite car, and this week off work, is a combo I shouldn't miss :D

Might even finish my FR2.0 GAF paint this week too.

Top Bottom