• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims Thread

Wait, so is that how it appears to him (with his real wheel/limbs superimposed)?
No, it was done in post - he'd be seeing the normal VR rendered cockpit. If you tried to do this realtime in VR, it would look very wrong, due to the lack of stereoscopy and camera misalignment.

DD

GAH, thats it. I f*ckin' hate the Audi R8 LMS Ultra and I give up on this GT3 championship on RaceRoom. That car offers not even a tiny bit of margin for mistakes. No matter how I try to do the same thing lap after lap - I'm not a robot, and things will differ - but here I go losing control of the car, most of the times seemingly for no reason at all. I was braking at that same spot for the last five laps, turning the same way I was before, using the same gears, but on the previous lap everything was fine and now my car is going sideways.

I also have the Camaro, but I'm not a big fan of it neither. I want the BMW Z4, but no f*ckin' way I'm spending the price of a Project Cars DLC track pack on a single car on RaceRoom. ARGH, it's hard to love the things you hate. >.<'

EDIT: the Camaro is actually nice, after testing it for a while. I think I'm gonna go with it. =B

TJP

GAH, thats it. I f*ckin' hate the Audi R8 LMS Ultra and I give up on this GT3 championship on RaceRoom. That car offers not even a tiny bit of margin for mistakes. No matter how I try to do the same thing lap after lap - I'm not a robot, and things will differ - but here I go losing control of the car, most of the times seemingly for no reason at all. I was braking at that same spot for the last five laps, turning the same way I was before, using the same gears, but on the previous lap everything was fine and now my car is going sideways.
Blame Kelvin van der Linde as it's his car and his direct feedback was used by Sector 3. Hate mail here: https://kelvinvanderlinde.com/ ;)

Glad you like the Camaro and don't worry about the Z4 as a new BMW is coming soon:

CUQFqzg.jpg

News here: https://forum.sector3studios.com/index.php?threads/bmw-m6-gt3-licensed.4932/

Wait, so is that how it appears to him (with his real wheel/limbs superimposed)?

No, but it does help illustrate the concept of VR when all we've got is 2D youtube to show off what it's like. I still see comments from people who see a video of VR game footage, and struggle to understand what's they're looking at, and how it differs from what it looks like when you've got a headset on. Valve put out a great video last week that attempts to do the same sort of thing. It's terrific if you haven't yet seen it.

I need an Oculus Rift for iRacing. Now.

The Formula Renault in VR would be fucking godlike. Speaking of which, I need to pull myself away from Dark Souls 3 this week and put in a couple of races around Road Atlanta. One of my favourite tracks coupled with my new favourite car, and this week off work, is a combo I shouldn't miss :D

Might even finish my FR2.0 GAF paint this week too.

Open wheel cars are as cool as you'd imagine in VR. All that modeled suspension, and rubbery tires. Just as in real life, you're like wow, look at all this sunshine and blue sky. Same goes for roadsters, convertibles, etc. Like that video shows off, you really feel enclosed when you've got a roof and doors and windows.

GAF FR paint? Nice! I'll roll with that.

GHG

for statistics: me neither, but I'm more on the careful side with the FFB settings when using the TX.

perfect setup *thumb up* (I have no idea about pricing these days though)

They have sales every now and then (easter was 50% off for all non-pack items and they had a "get everything"-sale last year). The things you already own won't be paid twice, even if you buy them in packs. Steam has no disadvantage, I think. There is also an auto discount: The more you buy at a time, the higher the discount. I would recommend the GT3 cars (or ADAC GT Masters pack and buy GT3 liveries, but I have a feeling there will be a new edition very soon) and I love the touring classics (maybe try the BMW E30). The NSU Prinz is super fun and cheap and 1992 DTM is great. The European and American track packs are worth their money, but maybe try the game before you go all-in. I don't need to mention the Nordschleife, do I?

Thanks for the info man. Think I'll just wait until I get my wheel and stand before buying anything and will just keep my eye out in case a sale pops up in the meantime,

This is making the rounds on the news sites, but we'll post it here too because it's cool:

DK2+greenscreen+Assetto Corsa

What's VR sim racing like? It's like that.

Now this is super cool. Sim racing is the only application that makes me excited for VR. Everything else I've seen so far looks gimmicky and tech-demo esque.

Sim racing is the only application that makes me excited for VR.
Same here. The only reason I'll be diving into VR is for sim racing. Which begs the question, how long will we be made to wait?

PCARS: Already supported
AC: Didn't seem interested until their poll a couple of days ago.
RRRE: No idea. Any news TJP?
rF2: Probably never
AMS: Never

One would hope that by the time it's more prevalent in sims, VR unit cost will have dropped.

Same here. The only reason I'll be diving into VR is for sim racing. Which begs the question, how long will we be made to wait?

PCARS: Already supported
AC: Didn't seem interested until their poll a couple of days ago. But DK2 implementation one of the best
RRRE: No idea. Any news TJP? They are very excited about VR, also had a decent DK2 implementation.
rF2: Probably never They have to do it. Everyone has to do it, otherwise they will become irrelevant.
AMS: Never As above, and didn't they promise VR support after the crowdfunding?
+ LFS: Already Supported
+ iRacing: I'd hope they have it in for the next build.
+ DiRT Rally: Possible, DK2 support was decent.

I complain about AI so much that I really should give iRacing a go sometime, especially if VR support is added soon.

Edit: regarding ISI and Reiza's VR support, aren't they stuck until upgrading DX11? Tim certainly seemed insinuate so in that recent interview.

Edit2: wow, Reiza really must have pissed in PRC's chips. Two articles in a row critizing their development practices.

I complain about AI so much that I really should give iRacing a go sometime, especially if VR support is added soon.

Edit: regarding ISI and Reiza's VR support, aren't they stuck until upgrading DX11? Tim certainly seemed insinuate so in that recent interview.

Edit2: wow, Reiza really must have pissed in PRC's chips. Two articles in a row critizing their development practices.
You should! The new MX-5 is awesome. Stick PR-IMSA2015 into the promo code box and you'll get 3 months for 5 dollars. Definitely worth trying it for that length of time, as it can take a while to 'click'. Plus there's a lot to figure out in terms of systems, and simply navigating the site is a challenge in itself >_<.

LFS is still DX9 and has the best VR support of any sim (both Vive and Rift already), so there must be a way. :)

rF2: Probably never They have to do it. Everyone has to do it, otherwise they will become irrelevant.
I think there's little question about the truth of that.

Hell, it's a genre that's long since adopted the often more expensive, and awkward triple monitor configuration. I don't recall seeing Dave Kaemmer on the cover of Time Magazine floating around with triples! We've got consoles being redesigned mid-cyle for VR. This thing is a force of nature in addition to being a perfect fit for sims. I honestly don't see how any racing dev is going to be able to successfully sidestep VR going forward.

When the prices come down, and the quality goes up (and these won't take too long), it's not hard to imagine an adoption rate that quickly blows by such vital things to the genre as steering wheels.

*and come Marv! You're telling me you've never even tried iRacing?! Dude, use that code, sign up, and report back. No excuses.

DD

Blame Kelvin van der Linde as it's his car and his direct feedback was used by Sector 3. Hate mail here: https://kelvinvanderlinde.com/ ;)

Glad you like the Camaro and don't worry about the Z4 as a new BMW is coming soon:

News here: https://forum.sector3studios.com/index.php?threads/bmw-m6-gt3-licensed.4932/

Thanks for the tip. I'll test drive it as soon as it comes out. But what I like about the Z4 is that although it is not the fastest or the newest car around, it is so forgiving, so gentle and so easy to drive. And it's beautiful! I love it. :)

EDIT: but I'm such an Audi-
[censored]
that if this boy appear on the store, I'd probably pick it.

Audi-R8-LMS-0.jpg

*sigh*

iRacing announced another dirt oval today, Williams Grove Speedway. *Looks it up on Youtube* *finds video* Ok, all right.. guy leaving the pits in a winged sprint...lots of poodling around...POODLING STOPS

Poodling=testing movable roof wing. Look for it moving back and forth.

shame the video is cut the way it is though :(

TJP

.RRRE: No idea. Any news TJP?
It was supported for a while but when DX9 was dropped, so was VR for R3E. It's been discussed again recently; if the popularity increases, it'll be back on the table with a DX version upgrade or move to a new graphics engine.

But they don't have an agenda ;)

DD

Dear God, my effin' prejudice!

The Camaro is actually f*kcin' awesome! Yes, it is big and looks weird, but it is oh so sweet to drive. So gentle and predictible, and it won't lose control at anything like the Audi. The R8 is a b*tch!

I love you, big boy!

211500_201604132045100muq5.jpg

You should! The new MX-5 is awesome. Stick PR-IMSA2015 into the promo code box and you'll get 3 months for 5 dollars.
*and come Marv! You're telling me you've never even tried iRacing?! Dude, use that code, sign up, and report back. No excuses.
Done.

I'm pleased at the disparity between the available DLC and my favourite circuits/vehicles. Only the Skippy, Brands and Oulton are on my radar from what could have been a very costly shopping list... but I'll see how long the Mazda@Lime lasts me first.

spyshagg

Should not be allowed to breed
So I'm thinking about spending some money on the RaceRoom Experience, what's the cheapest way to go about this. Should I use the Steam version or does it not make any difference?

Also what packs does everyone recommend?

I also need to sell my Xbox one and get a wheel soon. Is this one any good?: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B015KJ0SES/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I've been out of the loop on wheel setups for a while, it's time to get back to it though!

Real ALL of this first post:

http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/r3e-pricing-discounts-and-tips.107497/

TLDR

1 - Buy vrp's on https://www.raceroomstore.com/shop_en/list_page?cat=24 See how each vrp becomes cheaper the more you buy

2 - Redeem your vrp purchase on http://game.raceroom.com/store/ Under vrp next to your profile picture.

3 - The more items you put on your cart, the more bulk discounts you get.

4 - Wait for sales (I got every piece of content for 59$ in the black friday bundle!!)

Done.

I'm pleased at the disparity between the available DLC and my favourite circuits/vehicles. Only the Skippy, Brands and Oulton are on my radar from what could have been a very costly shopping list... but I'll see how long the Mazda@Lime lasts me first.

Hide yo kids, hide yo wife :)

Well thankfully the Skippy races at Brands and/or Oulton pretty much every season, so those are worthwhile purchases.

However!

I highly suggest turning off expectations of what you think you want, and just concentrate on what's in front of you now. "I want my favorite things" and "such little content can't possibly keep my attention"** are two popular misinterpretations about how you play this sim.

** there's no lack of base content.

iRacing is almost entirely about competition, and the well for the competition is, for all intents and purposes, bottomless. That never gets old. Nor does it really matter what track that competition takes place on.

If my favorite car is the Radical and my favorite track is Zolder, that's great, but only 1 week out of the 12 week schedule am I going to be doing this. Even then, participation levels for the Radical aren't great, so maybe I'm looking to race GT3 or Skip Barber instead.

You're paying to compete. The other reasons why you'd pay are secondary to a large degree.

You're going to have a lot of questions, so fire away!

but I'll see how long the Mazda@Lime lasts me first.
It lasted me about a year, or rather, I was happy to race and improve my skills on the Mazda Cup rotation, which only uses the base content, and LRP was my favourite track. Despite concentrating on other series, I still go back to this combo regularly. It's exactly as BT says, the value is in the quality of competition, rather than 'content consumption'.

Although if you get into it, you'll eventually buy a bucket load of content anyway.
Just according to keikaku.

My expectation were very soon kicked into shape. I spent an hour lapping Lime Rock, tuning into the sim and preparing myself for a race event, only to discover that there were no Lime Rock races to be found.

In other sims, I tend to pick a car/track combo and stick with it for hours, so iRacing will suit my play-style just fine. I'll certainly be forced out of my comfort zone during the next few days. Doh!

Graphics are very low down on my list of priorities, but I was quite surprised how basic iRacing's rendering technology seems to be and how haphazardly some textures have been stitched together. But cresting the hill at Lime Rock, bumper to bumper with a fellow human being, I couldn't care less about the lack of HDR. My face hurts from grinning.

Questions? After fiddling around with the website/launcher, I've gotten my head around most things. However, I do have one query: do collisions or grass excursions during open practice affect your safety rating? How about practice at an event? (if there is practice). One guys was weaving and blocking in practice and caused a number of accidents.

Edit: I should mention that the game froze on me twice. The screen locked, keyboard commands did nothing, but the game was still running... I heard myself crash into a barrier a few moments later and could continue to hear other cars drive nearby. Has anyone else experienced this?
It lasted me about a year, or rather, I was happy to race and improve my skills on the Mazda Cup rotation, which only uses the base content, and LRP was my favourite track. Despite concentrating on other series, I still go back to this combo regularly. It's exactly as BT says, the value is in the quality of competition, rather than 'content consumption'.

Although if you get into it, you'll eventually buy a bucket load of content anyway.
Just according to keikaku.
Yeah, I can very much see the value in the base content. It'll carry me for a while :) I prefer to perfect my driving on certain combos instead of hopping from car to car and track to track ala Gran Turismo/Forza.

Graphics are very low down on my list of priorities, but I was quite surprised how basic iRacing's rendering technology seems to be and how haphazardly some textures have been stitched together.
Lime Rock Park was the very first track on iRacing, and while a few things have been adjusted over the years, the geometry and texture work is from 2006, so it's a very poor showcase, considering it's often the first track new members will see. It is long overdue a rescan/remodel. Buy one of the recent tracks, such as the 'Ring or COTA, and the improvements are enormous.

Questions? After fiddling around with the website/launcher, I've gotten my head around most things. However, I do have one query: do collisions or grass excursions during open practice affect your safety rating? How about practice at an event? (if there is practice). One guys was weaving and blocking in practice and caused a number of accidents.
Practice doesn't affect SR, although if you are on the track with others, you can still protest/be protested (generally people don't bother).

Edit: I should mention that the game froze on me twice. The screen locked, keyboard commands did nothing, but the game was still running... I heard myself crash into a barrier a few moments later and could continue to hear other cars drive nearby. Has anyone else experienced this?
DX11? Yep, many people are having issues, although it's mainly random stutter rather than big lockups. It's a bit temperamental at the moment. If you're running DX9 however, then nope, I've never had that.

Here's the Season schedule too.

The week begins on Mondays at midnight GMT.

Here's the MX-5 Cup for example:

ol1ZgbO.jpg

All of those tracks are free base (free, base // the importance of punctuation :)) tracks.

Here are also a couple of points I had written before I scrapped them in favor of BL's better answers:

- The rookie series can get ugly at times. Just grin and bear it. You'll bring this up again unfortunately... Grin and bear

- The Spec Racer Ford seems to race cleaner throughout the whole field. Be sure to give that a go. The SRF is a car you're probably unfamiliar with, but is a lovely little slice of Americana. It's such a great driving car.

TJP

ISI is happy to release Build 1080! This build has a decent number of fixes and tweaks to the AI, realroad, skin sharing, graphics, controllers, and much more.

The demo content has also been changed; Now featuring the Formula Renault 3.5, 1974 Howston Dissenter and Toban Raceway Park.

Changelog details from ISI:

FEATURES:
-------------
  • Ability to save car class/track/RFM specific AI parameters. (Gizmos on track & car selection page. Global values still editable from session options.)
  • Added Low Speed Information display position gizmo.
  • Added AI DraftStickiness_multiplier to RCD files so can tweak that functionality on a car by car basis (only affects superspeedways)
  • Added average water depth to internals plugin data.
  • Provided a better way in the HDV file to specify AI damper multipliers: AIDamping=(<SlowBump>,<SlowRebound>,<FastBump>,<Fa stRebound>)
  • Made the prefix for warning LED material names configurable in the *cockpit.ini file. Syntax (with default legacy prefix) is: WarningLED=LED
  • User skin directory will now spill over to multiple lines if needed rather that off screen
  • Default gamepad controllers now set various driving aids for an easier experience.
  • Created an Un-Disqualify button for admins to use on the multiplayer vote page.
  • Reason for penalty (if any) is now given in result files and log files.
  • Significantly reduced the effect of Real Road Time Scale on how the track gets wet from rain and dried by vehicles. This makes it work more realistically even when the timescale is set to extreme values like Static or 15x.
  • Added a separate thread to issue FFB commands which is needed for some drivers that block. This functionality improves upon and therefore replaces the old Controller.JSON value "Skip updates", but can also be disabled by setting the new Controller.JSON value "Use thread" to false.
  • Moved in-game server list to Launcher (Steam version only).
  • New controller presets for SimXperience AccuForce, Thrustmaster TMX, and Logitech Rumble F310/F510/F710 gamepads.
FIXES:
-------------
  • Fix for skin transfers when using +connect commandline parameters.
  • Fixed static camera orientation not saving changes in Mod Mode
  • Likely fix for occasional dedicated server crash during race rejoin.
  • Fixed occasional race rejoin bug where only 63 laps were restored when it should have been more.
  • Fixed bug where track & vehicle selector didn't register changes when existing page immediately after closing a category branch.
  • Stock car plugin has improved handling of order shuffling due to spun cars. A new variable was added to the CustomPluginVariables.JSON for this plugin called "AdjustUntilYellowFlagState" which controls how long the order may be adjusted due to spinning (values are the same as mYellowFlagState in InternalsPlugin.hpp).
  • Fixed several potential UI crashes when switching between multiple video adapters.
  • Corrected issue where grass skids sometimes did not appear.
GRAPHICS:
-------------
  • Reverted back to more analytical headlight model.
  • Fixed soft particle blending and updated general particle parameters.
  • Fixed particle exclusion zones sometimes becoming disabled.
  • Improved particle lighting/shadowing.
  • Improved sun occluder.
  • Static reflection mappers now updated properly between sessions.
  • Minor adjustments to sky turbidity and some cloud albedos.
  • Sim will now default to HDR mode and can only be run in LDR mode by manually editing GFXSafeMode to 0 and clearing shader cache.
MODDING / PUBLIC DEV:
---------------------
  • Camera activation zones can be moved in the camera editor now.
  • Added another track learning method. How to use: turn off fuel, tire wear, & mech failures and enter a practice session with 1 ai. Once in monitor, select that ai and type "ai learn" in the chat back.....he'll then go take a bunch of laps & you can watch him try to get better at driving his line (which will show up in the replay window). When (if) you are satisfied that he's better following the line you can type "ai save" & he'll save that knowledge in the playerfile/settings directory for future use (or it can then be packed up in an appropriate car or track component and loaded automatically from there).
  • TTool: optimized the reinitialization step between custom realtime tests, and also allowed skipping reinitialization completely by adding Reinitialize=0 to any appropriate [CustomRealtimeTest] section in the input file. Note that reinitialization cannot currently be skipped if the starting temperature is changed, due to complexity.
  • Fixed bug in ModMgr which showed duplicate updates for mods with an update.
  • Fixed bug in MAS2 packager which sometimes failed to create a package because it could not detect when a base cmp or mod was installed.

Lime Rock Park was the very first track on iRacing, and while a few things have been adjusted over the years, the geometry and texture work is from 2006, so it's a very poor showcase, considering it's often the first track new members will see. It is long overdue a rescan/remodel. Buy one of the recent tracks, such as the 'Ring or COTA, and the improvements are enormous.
The base content is fine for me at the moment, I'd be happy with Geoff Crammond's Grand Prix as long as it drove well. The only reason I brought it up is I've always seen iRacing as the holy grail of sims, far beyond my time commitment or financial reach. So seeing graphics from 2006 was surprising.

DX11? Yep, many people are having issues, although it's mainly random stutter rather than big lockups. It's a bit temperamental at the moment. If you're running DX9 however, then nope, I've never had that.
Ah it's not just me then (DX11), thank you.
- The Spec Ford Racer seems to race cleaner throughout the whole field. Be sure to give that a go. The SRF is a car you're probably unfamiliar with, but is a lovely little slice of Americana. It's such a great driving car.
Thanks for the tip BT! I shall take it for a drive this evening.

Changelog details from ISI:
That's a pretty decent list for a company supposedly slowing down development. One thing that amuses me about ISI change logs is that, even though it's my primary sim, I barely understand half the changes.

Not sim related - apart from the crash damage - but this doesn't look good: http://community.bugbeargames.com/index.php/topic,8733.0.html and http://steamcommunity.com/app/228380/discussions/0/365163686086218997/

I'd imagine I wasn't the only one to give money to BugBear, long before their Early Access campaign on Steam.
The number of sales on steam doesn't look bad at all for an early access game. Were they still a "big" studio?? SteamSpy numbers look ok if they didn't have 20 or more people working on the game.

Megasoum

Banned
So I have to admit something to you guys...

As much as I fucking love sim racing and all my racing hardware... I kinda suck at it lol.

Well "suck" might be a bit too harsh but anyway, I'm the kind of guy who simply cannot keep a car straight to save my life if I don't have ABS and TC.

Because of that iRacing was never really an option for me and this is bumming me out... Even if I think their business model is dumb but anyway.

I should really fix that flaw of mine at some point, this is ridiculous to still have issues with that stuff after over 10 years of sim racing.

I feel like it's a bit like how I was afraid of using manual transmission at the beginning but I couldn't drive without it now.

Anyway... I had to share it lol.

You may be a lost cause, but in the outside chance you aren't:
:p:p:p:p:p

If you've found that you've never gotten better over a long period of time, something with your approach is probably not right. I'm going to guess you're not being challenged nearly enough. You need to give your sim racing more purpose.

Nothing will give it more purpose than racing against real people. You push yourself much, much harder than you'd ever do tooling around with a bunch of AI. You learn a lot.

There are little kids with accounts under their Mom's name playing with 360 controllers on there. You're plenty good enough. "Dude, use that code, sign up, and report back. No excuses."

I should really fix that flaw of mine at some point, this is ridiculous to still have issues with that stuff after over 10 years of sim racing.
Over 10 years of relying on ABS and TC probably means it's your pedal control that needs the most improvement! I'd do it one at a time, disabling TC first. The ABS should keep you stable on corner entry, and you can concentrate on modulating the throttle on exit. The road cars in AC might be the easiest way to get comfortable with no TC, as they let go progressively. Pick something tail happy like the E92 M3, and put it on street tyres on a slippery track. Magione's T1 and 2 are ideal corners to practice over and over. The M3 wants to step its rear out at the slightest hint of a heavy right foot - the only way to exit those corners without going sideways is to apply throttle like there's an egg underneath the pedal.

Once you've mastered that, you can concentrate on braking without ABS - I'd do that in an open wheel car so you can see the front tyres locking. rF2 Skippy perhaps.

Sorry, three more iRacing questions:

1) I've just realised that only 12 cars can race at Summit Point, but yesterday there were 15 cars on the server. What happens to the other 3 guys when the race is full?

2) Has your screensaver ever kicked in mid-race (on Win10)? >_< Thankfully I only lost a few potential SR points because I was right at the back of the pack due to...

3) I jumped the start, came in to serve a stop/go penalty, but my crew serviced my car for 40 seconds (which suggests tyres+fuel). Looking through the various overlays (in practice)...

'Add' is set to zero litres
'Begin Fueling' is checked (that could be the culprit)
'Replace' is unchecked for all 4 tyres (yet all 4 were changed)

Any idea why I received a full service?

Edit: AHA! The moment I drove out the pit box, my tyres auto checked themselves and fuel was set to 45L. No wonder I received that service.

It looks like you figured out most of it but,:

1) The races and the practice servers for the rookie MX-5 are capped at 12 people to keep carnage down, and to force more "splits", which I'll get to in a sec. My guess is when you saw 15 people, it wasn't actually 15 active people. Three had left and two more had joined, giving you 15 names on the board. If the names are grey, they're no longer active.

As to what happens to the 100 or so people that sometimes sign up for a 12 man race, they get subdivided into their own 12 man race based on their iRating. Matchmaking as it were. This guy seems to have done a nice little video that explains it well.

3) Ha, yep. It's a feature! You can disable AutoResetPitbox in an .ini file, or lots of people use a macro to clear it. You can clear them in the black boxes as well (gui), but I wouldn't worry about any of that right now.

That site I just linked to is great and is always up to date on many of the small things that go unexplained. EdRacing.com

spuckthew

I'm also not great at sim racing but still love it. But my ability varies from game to game, which might be more indicative of my hardware or setup (currently I'm stuck with default TX pedals). In iRacing I can brake fine without locking and I have decent throttle control, but in AC I lock up all over the shop and can't stop drifting through corners. Some cars are worse than others though, and I can control some fairly well.

DD

Hey TJP (or anyone else): can I ask you another question? Does the adaptative AI on RaceRoon eventually get on your own pace? If so, how long does it take for that happen? I'm asking because I did some single races with it, and I already did three races on a GT3 championship and even though I'm mediocre at best, and playing with a X360 pad on the Get Real handling mode, I'm still much faster than the AI. =B

Hey TJP (or anyone else): can I ask you another question? Does the adaptative AI on RaceRoon eventually get on your own pace? If so, how long does it take for that happen? I'm asking because I did some single races with it, and I already did three races on a GT3 championship and even though I'm mediocre at best, and playing with a X360 pad on the Get Real handling mode, I'm still much faster than the AI. =B
It certainly did with me, but that was a year ago. I've kept in manual since.

TJP

The adaptive AI is a feature that Sector 3 should explain better and be much prouder of IMO. The more race sessions you do, the quicker the AI will adapt to your speed. The adaptive AI performance is based on the players average lap time around a given track; the faster you become, the faster they will become too. We've been told the player can use the fixed AI as adaptation data is also collected during races in which you use a fixed AI strength.

Saying this, there are S3 forum reports that the AI are slower than the previous build and the people are right to an extent as the AI is still being worked on to get every aspect right and it is damn hard to pull off. In the internal builds, the AI made mistakes e.g. running wide or spinning out; they were a lot slower than previous build however it was really great to see the AI have 'life' instead of being robotic.

If at any point you don't like the adaptive AI, delete the file found here: \SimBin\RaceRoom Racing Experience\UserData\Player1\aiadaptation.xml

As an aside, anyone who is a fan of the Group 5 class are going to love the next updates..Anyone interested in a 900HP Corvette..

DD

It certainly did with me, but that was a year ago. I've kept in manual since.

By manual you mean manually set, as like 110, for example? If so, at what number do you play with (just for reference)?

The adaptive AI is a feature that Sector 3 should explain better and be much prouder of IMO. The more race sessions you do, the quicker the AI will adapt to your speed. The adaptive AI performance is based on the players average lap time around a given track; the faster you become, the faster they will become too. We've been told the player can use the fixed AI as adaptation data is also collected during races in which you use a fixed AI strength.
This is something I was worrying about. I do several mistakes on free practices so I don't repeat them on qualys and on the races. This must be the reason for the slower pace then.

Saying this, there are S3 forum reports that the AI are slower than the previous build and the people are right to an extent as the AI is still being worked on to get every aspect right and it is damn hard to pull off. In the internal builds, the AI made mistakes e.g. running wide or spinning out; they were a lot slower than previous build however it was really great to see the AI have 'life' instead of being robotic.
They make mistakes on the public version too, and it's cool. :)

TJP

Seems the latest rF2 build has gone awry..The AI are understeering off many of the tracks and the multiplayer is currently kaput as people can't join servers because of rfcmps issues. I've experienced both - ISI are on top of the multiplayer problems based on the posts in their forum.

In other news, SimHQ Motorsports have released their version of Barber: http://simhqmotorsports.net/downloads/ SRFL have another AC track converted to rF2. On the SRFL FB page one can find a dl link for Spa.

Edit: just tried a few of the mods; the car and track shadows glitched and appeared to be black blobs that appear and disappear. As the issue didn't appear until a few new mods were installed I deleted every mod I had downloaded and reset the CBash and Shaders folders. Happy to report ISI content works like a charm :) That'll teach me for downloading ripped Kunos tracks (it was a shite rip anyway).

ASR, makers of fine not-F1 mods based on F1 cars from the 1990's, have released a version of a GP3 cars in the form of the ASR3. It's a 'donation' mod for &#8364;2.50 and well worth the money given their other cars are all free and of a very high standard. Like all of the ASR cars and quite a few other mods (e.g. NSX and AMGT3), the ASR3 car doesn't appear to have a lower LOD and is very heavy on the frame rate unless you have a monster Nvidia GPU.

I'm surprised ISI aren't pushing an old build while they get things fixed.

Also, the oval-yellow-flag-AI bug I've been pestering them about for 6 months, which they said they'd fixed, isn't.

Top Bottom