• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims Thread

Zeth

I'm liking the ASR 3. But wow I'm bad at RF2 now - reduced AI to 95 to catch up to pace at Mid Ohio.

Good news for AC VR on twitter:
Tough and long coding day to readapt Assetto Corsa VR code to Rift SDK 1.3, good progress nevertheless. #assettocorsavr
Well... I put a couple more hours into it and got FXAA, MSAA and PP to work with Oculus.. it looks good. #verysleepy

TJP

ARR has a new car for download: Squadra Corse Polito - SCXX

DL link: http://www.asrformula.com/download/rF2/Mod/scxx/v1.01/ASR_FSAE_SCXX.rfcmp

scxx_m.jpg

SRFL has posted the BES GT3 version 1.6 GT3 collection (839MB): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzE1hfMtnB3waTlMVVR2cEdFaDQ/view

DD

Anyone having connection problems with RaceRoom? Since yesterday this shit is happening, forcing me to quit to desktop. I never played against other people online, I usually play solo races. This is why I promised to never buy online only games in the future.

It took a few days, but I've risen enough through the ranks of iRacing to escape the dregs and finally share the track with the skilled. Yesterday, I had a numerous races where I was surrounded by 3-5 drivers from start to finish, without a single tap or bump. For the first time since real-life racing (13+ years ago), I found my leg shaking whilst amongst the pack. That certainly never happens with AI.

Of course, as talented as these individuals were, there was still the odd ruined race here and there, but the highs more than make up for the lows. It's going to be tough from here on out though. Mid-week, I was winning races with 10-20s+ leads, now the winner's average lap is quicker time than my optimal-best-time :O

Anyway, I've begun to look at additional content, but before making a purchase there's one thing that makes me hesitant: Do circuits change each season?

:D

They do, but generally speaking, it's considerately thought out. For example, here's the "iRacing on a budget: the Skip Barber track rotation" thread stickied on the Skippy forum. They thoroughly explain how it works, and, in part, what you should expect for next season.

So the bottom 4 are guaranteed to be there next season, while the top 3 are guaranteed not to be.

Most of the series have similar sorts of discussions.

Especially early on, it'll be important to plan track buying so that you can get the most bang for your buck. Meaning being able to use them for multiple series over the course of the season. Example being Skippy, SRF, Advanced MX5, and Caddy Cup use a mix of free and paid circuits. What if anything appears on all of them? 3 of 4? 2 of 4?

It's not ideal, but bopping around between cars so you can race the limited content you own is something most everyone goes through.

and if you tire of that, you boogity.

Branson

Raceroom has started to intrigue me a little bit. How are the physics compared to AMS? The micro transactions scare me off a bit from it, but if they are quality like iRacing I can get into it. These are the guys that did GTR2?

TJP

Raceroom has started to intrigue me a little bit. How are the physics compared to AMS? The micro transactions scare me off a bit from it, but if they are quality like iRacing I can get into it.
Many of the cars have improved greatly from the first releases; Sector 3 are getting the real world drivers to test and fettle the physics and it's not just marketing bullshit. Many of the series licence holders actually demand their drivers test what Sector 3 have made. That means the DTM, GT3, ADAC, Audi TT RS & WTCC have been tested by at least one real world driver and are as close to the real thing as Sector 3 and/or a commerical grade sim can get.

That said, physics realism and tyre modelling is so subjective it's laughable how many waffle on about Sim A or Sim B being 'the best' or 'most realistic'. How does one judge when one hasn't sat in, let alone driven said vehicle? All I know is the area is almost impossible to get close to 100% realism and very difficult to make something that is about 85% of the real thing. If a sim uses BoP for multiplayer/AI, many aspects of realism are fucked up anyway ;)

Costs are determined by RaceRoom and not Sector 3 - it's expensive because you won't get fully licenced cars, tracks & team liveries anywhere else on PC.

These are the guys that did GTR2?
Despite what Sector 3 and SMS will say, there are a few guys still at Sector 3 that were a part of the SimBin+Blimey! Games teams that created GTR, GTR 2 and GT Legends. The same can be said for SMS too. Who made what and how for these sims will always be a battle between studio heads.

I know a few GTR 2 dev's have headed to the team making the Isle of Mann TT and WRC 5.

TJP

After three days unable to play this game due to server problems, I was greeted with this (always) weird example of collision physics. :D

https://youtu.be/kCESMaUH5R0

Come on, Sector 3. It's so close from being great! ;(
Crash physics have always been a little odd - it's being worked on alongside many other things. Reminds me a lot of pCARS crashes too; the sticky nature of the AI cars is a 'feature' of both sims.

DD

Many of the cars have improved greatly from the first releases; Sector 3 are getting the real world drivers to test and fettle the physics and it's not just marketing bullshit. Many of the series licence holders actually demand their drivers test what Sector 3 have made. That means the DTM, GT3, ADAC, Audi TT RS & WTCC have been tested by at least one real world driver and are as close to the real thing as Sector 3 and/or a commerical grade sim can get.

That said, physics realism and tyre modelling is so subjective it's laughable how many waffle on about Sim A or Sim B being 'the best' or 'most realistic'. How does one judge when one hasn't sat in, let alone driven said vehicle? All I know is the area is almost impossible to get close to 100% realism and very difficult to make something that is about 85% of the real thing. If a sim uses BoP for multiplayer/AI, many aspects of realism are fucked up anyway ;)

Costs are determined by RaceRoom and not Sector 3 - it's expensive because you won't get fully licenced cars, tracks & team liveries anywhere else on PC.

Despite what Sector 3 and SMS will say, there are a few guys still at Sector 3 that were a part of the SimBin+Blimey! Games teams that created GTR, GTR 2 and GT Legends. The same can be said for SMS too. Who made what and how for these sims will always be a battle between studio heads.

I know a few GTR 2 dev's have headed to the team making the Isle of Mann TT and WRC 5.
For me the only way to determine if a sim is more realistic than the other is to drive the real thing and then the same car on both games. Anything else is bullshit to me. And honestly, what really matters is how much fun you find in the game. :)

Crash physics have always been a little odd - it's being worked on alongside many other things. Reminds me a lot of pCARS crashes too; the sticky nature of the AI cars is a 'feature' of both sims.

I hope so. This and the prices of their stuff are the two big downsides in this game for me, currently.

Branson

Thanks for the awesome response. I guess the only way to find if I like it is to try it out. It is free to. I didnt know that about the real world drivers testing the cars.

Also I just mentioned AMS because for me its the best feeling road course sim right now.

TJP

For me the only way to determine if a sim is more realistic than the other is to drive the real thing and then the same car on both games. Anything else is bullshit to me. And honestly, what really matters is how much fun you find in the game. :)
The bolded section x100,000,000 - if it's not engaging, there is no point playing it.

Thanks for the awesome response. I guess the only way to find if I like it is to try it out. It is free to. I didnt know that about the real world drivers testing the cars. Also I just mentioned AMS because for me its the best feeling road course sim right now.
AMS is sensational there is little doubt about it (FWIW, I'm a level 5 backer) and the cars feel right and the FFB is sublime. R3E keeps moving in the right direction; the cars feel more realistic than ever and the FFB is slowing getting on to becoming what we had in Race/GTR rather than the mess that was R3E in the beginning.

Mascot

The bolded section x100,000,000 - if it's not engaging, there is no point playing it.

And although most of us haven't raced cars in real life, we still instinctively know when some intangible element is 'wrong' in a sim. We can feel it in our giblets. Good sims leave my giblets alone to digest my dinner.

Makikou

I hate Interlagos. Wont be doing much of that in this week's Blancpain Sprint Series i think.. Even though the setup for Audi is good, i can't get a grip of the track.

Can we go back to Monza pls?

Is that new rF2 Donington a legal track? It's one of the best versions of the circuit I've driven on. With great AI too. I hope it's not a rip.

Zeth

R3E Group 5 physics update? Nice.

Is that new rF2 Donington a legal track? It's one of the best versions of the circuit I've driven on. With great AI too. I hope it's not a rip.

Is it new? I know of the Sim Raceway version and the conversion by senormen. [edit: looks like an update from senorman, will have to check it out] It would be amazing if someone could be allowed to convert the AC mod - it's pretty damn good imo.

R3E Group 5 physics update? Nice.
Nice indeed!

Is it new? I know of the Sim Raceway version and the conversion by senormen. [edit: looks like an update from senorman, will have to check it out] It would be amazing if someone could be allowed to convert the AC mod - it's pretty damn good imo.
Argh, so it's a rip? Such a shame.

Yeah, the AC mod is one of the best Donington representations I've seen.

TJP

Seems that's almost all non-3PA tracks are rips. I wouldn't get too hung up on it being from SRW as that sim is pretty much dead nowdays. Rumour is that it's only up because of the racing school - no tracks or cars can be downloaded without lots of workarounds and you can't buy cars at all.

Good list of rF2 tracks: http://www.internationalsimracing.c...PSESSID=51vrn3g2tmektih2d04n7ohgj1&board=67.0

Yeah, the AC mod is one of the best Donington representations I've seen.
Indeed. The AC version is sublime!

TJP

How does it differ to/improve on the pCARS one? I thought that was pretty good.
You think everything in pCARS is good 8P

It's a scratch made track by one guy - that alone makes it an amazing job and the level of detail and overall polish makes it one of the best tracks available for AC. Read about the details and changes here: http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/donington-park.3031/

Edit: video of the most recent build..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7Q-1bEqQYQ

I've got to catch up on a few things this week. Namely the Automobilista beta with the Porsche Cup cars and VIR, and R3E with the GTO and updated G5 cars.

I've only managed a single exploratory lap with the Porsche@VIR, and it was amazing as you've come to expect from these guys.

Arucardo

Got charged for my Oculus Rift order last night (hasn't shipped yet though) so I'm expecting to have it by next week or the week after that.

So excited to try Dirt Rally and any other sims that have CV1 support (does assetto have it yet?). Never had a chance to try the DK1 or 2, should be a cool first experience.

Mascot

Got charged for my Oculus Rift order last night (hasn't shipped yet though) so I'm expecting to have it by next week or the week after that.

So excited to try Dirt Rally and any other sims that have CV1 support (does assetto have it yet?). Never had a chance to try the DK1 or 2, should be a cool first experience.

I thought the VR bubble had burst already..?

:p

As far as I know, DiRT Rally does not have Rift support at the moment. DK2 support may have broken on a recent update too. AC has no Rift support either.

Your best bet is LFS or Project CARS. PCARS support is still sketchy however.

waters10

Neo Member
As far as I know, DiRT Rally does not have Rift support at the moment. DK2 support may have broken on a recent update too. AC has no Rift support either.

Your best bet is LFS or Project CARS. PCARS support is still sketchy however.
Not sure what's sketchy about pCARS rift support. I think it's superb! I think everyone on pCARS forum agrees. I'm only racing with DK2, but it's just great! ATW made all the difference in the world!

saladine1

Yeah, been playing RR a lot lately. Lots of support and updates.

Also been playing AMS. Must say, I am really enjoying the Mitsubishi Rally Cross. The physics/handling feels oh so good. Really enjoyable.
Also, for a small studio, Reiza sure do have some very good vehicle audio and effects. The V10/V12 Formulas sound insane!

TJP

Rf2%20Logo.jpg

Release notes for 1084 are as follows:

Known issue (see knownissues.txt):

– Lost wheel intermittent repair after driver change, possibly more likely with higher damage percent set. ‘Normal’ damage repairs function as intended.
– There are still some issues with various security suites that we are not in control of. Depending on what software you use, you will need to find a workaround based on how it reacts or what it blocks. We would be grateful to see these false reports passed onto the developers of those suites so that they can whitelist our software.

Build notes:

FEATURES:
————-
– Stopped overwriting your own Unsportsmanslike Driving multiplayer setting when you joined a server (should only affect the current setting). This would only matter if you used the same Player.JSON for both servers and clients.

FIXES:
————-
– Fixed sun occlusion bug in showroom.
– Adjusted particle params for rain spray.
– Removed error msg from Mas2.
– Fix for steam launcher getting “Password invalid” when attempting to download missing components from a password-less dedicated server.
– Workaround for lag in options when using Thrustmaster drivers 2016_TTRS_1.
– Rearranged throttle/brake/clutch pedal mappings for Logitech G920 because they will be rearranged with the next Logitech driver/firmware release (which are in Beta as of this writing). If any users continue to use the previous Logitech drivers, they will need to re-map the pedals after loading the Logitech G920 profile.
– Attempt to prevent Knockout Qualifying plugin from overwriting manual grid edits.

TJP

Senna vs Brundle film is out - https://vimeo.com/ondemand/svsb

The doco centres around the 1983 British F3 season and looks interesting even for people who know the results from that year.

film makers said:
In 1983 two young racing drivers where fighting for supremacy in the British Formula 3 series. Winning the championship would guarantee them a place in Formula 1 for the next year. It was a time when junior formula racing was still simple and raw; a time when the driver was in charge of winning.

The two men fighting could not be more different, one was from a well off family in Brazil who had easily won all the championships he had participated in up to this point and the other one had no money, pinning his hopes on a season that could be his last, his dream of becoming a professional racing driver could be over. These two men were Ayrton Senna and Martin Brundle.

AxeMan

This is a long shot but I thought I'd give it a try

Does anyone here have a line to Obutto?
I'm interested in buying a Revolution but there are no distributors in Australia anymore. Their website says to email them, which I did a week ago, but I haven't heard anything back.

Also, what GPU would be recommended to run triple monitors for iracing and Dirt Rally at a pretty high/highest quality and frame rate? Thoughts on monitors as well would be appreciated

I've had difficulties contacting Obutto in the past too.

I guess the GTX 980 Ti would be the ideal choice, but you can get away with less. iRacing in particular benefits from a fast CPU as well. If you want triples I think the best size/performance ratio is 27" 1080p. High-end 27" monitors tend to be 1440p and 144Hz, which is difficult to drive consistently at native, even for a 980Ti. G-Sync monitors let you get away with the odd frame drop, but it's crazy money for three.

With consumer VR headsets available, I'd hesitate to spend vast amounts of money on really high-end triple monitors - you can buy a Rift for less than one of these G-Sync monitors (at least, that is the case in the UK - I know VR headsets are very expensive in Australia but presumably G-Sync monitors are too). I'm using BenQ GW2760HS monitors. They're relatively inexpensive and only 60Hz, but they have thin bezels, very good VA panels and low latency. If you have to get triples right now, I'd suggest those, assuming that they're just to 'tide you over' until you're ready to race in VR.

If you have no interest in VR, then by all means go for the high-end 1440p stuff. But don't expect to maintain 144fps @ 7680x1440 on a single 980 Ti!

Spookie

Also, what GPU would be recommended to run triple monitors for iracing and Dirt Rally at a pretty high/highest quality and frame rate? Thoughts on monitors as well would be appreciated

New Pascals are right round the corner you might as well wait for them.

AxeMan

I've had difficulties contacting Obutto in the past too.

I guess the GTX 980 Ti would be the ideal choice, but you can get away with less. iRacing in particular benefits from a fast CPU as well. If you want triples I think the best size/performance ratio is 27" 1080p. High-end 27" monitors tend to be 1440p and 144Hz, which is difficult to drive consistently at native, even for a 980Ti. G-Sync monitors let you get away with the odd frame drop, but it's crazy money for three.

With consumer VR headsets available, I'd hesitate to spend vast amounts of money on really high-end triple monitors - you can buy a Rift for less than one of these G-Sync monitors (at least, that is the case in the UK - I know VR headsets are very expensive in Australia but presumably G-Sync monitors are too). I'm using BenQ GW2760HS monitors. They're relatively inexpensive and only 60Hz, but they have thin bezels, very good VA panels and low latency. If you have to get triples right now, I'd suggest those, assuming that they're just to 'tide you over' until you're ready to race in VR.

If you have no interest in VR, then by all means go for the high-end 1440p stuff. But don't expect to maintain 144fps @ 7680x1440 on a single 980 Ti!

New Pascals are right round the corner you might as well wait for them.

Thanks for the replies. Funnily enough I checked my emails this morning and had an email from Chris at Obutto promising to get back to me with some prices. I guess they like to take their time or are quite busy.
I'm glad I didn't spring for something different in the meantime.

On the GPU's, I forgot that a new release is around the corner. I guess I'll wait. VR is an interesting one for me, I think it's still too early to buy into it and would prefer a traditional setup for now.
I have a couple of 24" BenQ's at the moment, XL2430T. I was thinking of just getting another one of these and using them.

Too much to decide on. I'll wait to see what Pascal does

I have a couple of 24" BenQ's at the moment, XL2430T. I was thinking of just getting another one of these and using them.
Ah! That definitely makes the most sense. Absolutely not worth swapping out your two (very good) existing displays for a new set of three.

Megasoum

Banned
Hmmm... The rubber pad on top of the big screw on my TH8A came off... There's still a bit of sticky glue under it but not enough to really make it stick. Without the rubber pad the shifter doesn't really hold in place properly.

Not sure what I could use to glue it properly.

Zeth

My TH8A has seen tough times. Currently using a square block of wood on the clamp to widen the gap as I previously stripped the threading from over-tightening. Wish I could just permanently mount it.

Actually I think my rubber pad is glued to the wood because whatever glue I used didn't adhere to the metal clamp.

Top Bottom