• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims Thread

AxeMan

Ah! That definitely makes the most sense. Absolutely not worth swapping out your two (very good) existing displays for a new set of three.

I will need new monitors though as I am going to build a new PC for my racing rig. I don't want to just have the one PC, I need my current one for other non-racing stuff. So either way I go I'll need 3 new monitors

I will need new monitors though as I am going to build a new PC for my racing rig. I don't want to just have the one PC, I need my current one for other non-racing stuff. So either way I go I'll need 3 new monitors
The plot thickens...

Do you actually use double monitors for other gaming? I would've thought you could add a third XL2430T to use for your racing, and then buy a single display for your other PC...

DD

Interesting article on Red Bull's website (only in Portuguese, unfortunately) talking about real life drivers who participate on virtual leagues, with special focus on Barrichello. He said that every time he has to race in the United States, he practices on iRacing, praising how good the track models are. On GSCE, he says that the real Stock Cars are easier to drive compared to the the game, saying that the car spins easily in the game. But he also said that the Marcas car is very close to reality.

https://translate.google.com.br/tra...40744.No.454753162&linkId=24065655&edit-text=

AxeMan

The plot thickens...

Do you actually use double monitors for other gaming? I would've thought you could add a third XL2430T to use for your racing, and then buy a single display for your other PC...

So this is what I have at the moment

i7 2600k
970 (evga ftw+ acx+ 2.0)
8gb ram
2 x benq (XL2430T)

I do use 2 monitors now. I can't go back to one monitor for my main desktop pc.
So I was either going to build a new PC as my racing rig, or use my current PC as my racing rig (adding an extra monitor to make 3) and then build a new desktop.

What I don't like about my current setup is the resolution of the monitors doesn't go high enough for the size of the monitors. Things appear too big on the screen.
I was playing Witcher 3 (specifically bought the 970 to do that) and the monitors but I don't like how big everything is. The max resolution of the monitors are 1920 x 1080 at 144hz.
If the monitors of this size could go to a higher resolution to make everything on screen smaller then I'd be a lot happier. I know the card can output a higher resolution.

I think that the current resolution will be ok for racing games, so my current monitors are ok for using on the racing rig. But I'm not sure that the 970 can drive 3 monitors at 1920 x 1080 in good enough quality.

This is my dilemma

Megasoum

Banned
Did Steam run over their dogs? Quite surprised level at the anger.

This is something I've noticed over the years while browsing sim communities (racing sims, flying sims AND space sims) is that they are often comprised of people that are maybe a bit older than the average gamers and more importantly, often not super tech savy.

The consequence of that fact is that they are often VERY slow to react to "new" technologies and act in a SUPER conservative ways.

It's the same in all sim communities.

This is something I've noticed over the years while browsing sim communities (racing sims, flying sims AND space sims) is that they are often comprised of people that are maybe a bit older than the average gamers and more importantly, often not super tech savy.

The consequence of that fact is that they are often VERY slow to react to "new" technologies and act in a SUPER conservative ways.
You're not wrong, but I think with Steam it's mainly the feeling of having their "simulation" (console-)gamified. The venn-diagram of people who care about Steam-achievements and people who love rFactor is probable just two separate circles. To them it's more layers of BS build on top of their hobby.

I suppose it's similar to how we may purchase a Ubisoft game on Steam and then complain about having to run UPlay. An extra topping of unnecessary complication.

Interesting article on Red Bull's website (only in Portuguese, unfortunately) talking about real life drivers who participate on virtual leagues, with special focus on Barrichello. He said that every time he has to race in the United States, he practices on iRacing, praising how good the track models are. On GSCE, he says that the real Stock Cars are easier to drive compared to the the game, saying that the car spins easily in the game. But he also said that the Marcas car is very close to reality.

https://translate.google.com.br/tra...40744.No.454753162&linkId=24065655&edit-text=

You'll find no shortage of Rubens sightings on iRacing. Formula Renault, MX-5, GT3, Skippys. He's just having fun like everyone else.

Here's him winning
being gifted :p
some Brazilian league race last night.

One of us:
rbskk7p.gif

So this is what I have at the moment

i7 2600k
970 (evga ftw+ acx+ 2.0)
8gb ram
2 x benq (XL2430T)
You should be OK running Dirt Rally and iRacing with this machine with what I'd consider "good enough quality". Your mileage may vary, and not at 144Hz mind you.

What I don't like about my current setup is the resolution of the monitors doesn't go high enough for the size of the monitors. Things appear too big on the screen.
I was playing Witcher 3 (specifically bought the 970 to do that) and the monitors but I don't like how big everything is. The max resolution of the monitors are 1920 x 1080 at 144hz.
If the monitors of this size could go to a higher resolution to make everything on screen smaller then I'd be a lot happier. I know the card can output a higher resolution.
Are you sure you don't have some weird scaling setting turned on? Like zooming? I bet you do. When it comes to games, resolution is completely independent from the size of things on the screen (with the exception of UI). The "picture size" stays the same, it's just higher or lower resolution.

Megasoum

Banned
You're not wrong, but I think with Steam it's mainly the feeling of having their "simulation" (console-)gamified. The venn-diagram of people who care about Steam-achievements and people who love rFactor is probable just two separate circles. To them it's more layers of BS build on top of their hobby.

I suppose it's similar to how we may purchase a Ubisoft game on Steam and then complain about having to run UPlay. An extra topping of unnecessary complication.

True but in many cases Steam is soooo much better than their custom launcher/solution.

If you take Kerbal Space Program for example. The game is built around mod support. Almost nobody play that game "stock".

Before they started offering steam support you had to download mods from forums and random shady websites. A couple of months before launching on Steam early access they decided to build their own custom version of the Steam Workshop... Then fast forward a couple of years and they had to close the website for some reason and what do they do instead of going for the very logical and amazing solution that is Steam Workshop? They fucking sign a partnership with Curse and their shitty bloated Curse launcher...FFS.

All that because there's still a % of the KSP community who are resisting the move to Steam because of... reasons...

This is so dumb and backward and the end result is that most people still download their mods from forums and shady websites.

TJP

If those who want to play rF2 find launching Steam first and then stating rF2 difficult or complicated, how the hell did they work out how to download and install the non-ISI mods (and remove them if they were shite)?

Indeed. I really don't understand the issues some users are having. Miss-information is rampant though, some under the impression that you can't use mods, others saying Steam slows your computer down, one thinking files no longer exist on your computer and another stating that Steam automatically deletes games after 1 year. I find the whole thing quite hilarious.

AxeMan

You should be OK running Dirt Rally and iRacing with this machine with what I'd consider "good enough quality". Your mileage may vary, and not at 144Hz mind you.

Are you sure you don't have some weird scaling setting turned on? Like zooming? I bet you do. When it comes to games, resolution is completely independent from the size of things on the screen (with the exception of UI). The "picture size" stays the same, it's just higher or lower resolution.

Nah, no scaling or zoom going on.
The discussion has really gone away from the thread topic so I'll stop posting about it. Thanks for the suggestions

TJP

Indeed. I really don't understand the issues some users are having. Miss-information is rampant though, some under the impression that you can't use mods, others saying Steam slows your computer down, one thinking files no longer exist on your computer and another stating that Steam automatically deletes games after 1 year. I find the whole thing quite hilarious.
Morons.

The threads is similar to the Race Department one on the same subject. Reads more like these people have no idea how to use a PC. Wait unit they find out URD have a new T5 mod for AC...and not rF2 at this point!

DD

You'll find no shortage of Rubens sightings on iRacing. Formula Renault, MX-5, GT3, Skippys. He's just having fun like everyone else.

Here's him winning
being gifted :p
some Brazilian league race last night. [/spoiler]
Nice, some of those dudes are pro drivers, like Rubens. I recognized Vitor Genz and Rafael Suzuki, both from Stock Car.

One of us:
rbskk7p.gif
LOL

On Red Bull's article he praised that F-Renault too.

Is it possible to fake names in iRacing? Last week, 'Dany Kvyat' joined an MX-5 practice session at Okayama, beat my time by 2.1s on his only lap, then disconnected. Luckily, he was nowhere near me.

LOL

On Red Bull's article he praised that F-Renault too.

The last corner at Donington is a killer. It's completely blind, it's downhill, it's off camber. It's just tough until you get it.

I saw his son "Dudu" on last night. I think they had been sharing accounts, but now he's got his own. I think he's all of about 12 years old, and a good karter, so it shouldn't be too long before he starts wiping the floor with his old man.

Is it possible to fake names in iRacing? Last week, 'Dany Kvyat' joined an MX-5 practice session at Okayama, beat my time by 2.1s on his only lap, then disconnected. Luckily, he was nowhere near me.

:D You just know somebody would play the part of Seb if he happens to get into the back of someone. WTF are we doing here?!!

I don't think so. Your name is taken straight off your payment account. I think if there were a way, people would have long since used and abused it.

Found his stats, looks like he was racing at Okayama and Sochi at the same time, which could explain why his attention was elsewhere on lap 1...

I've seen a fair number of comedy names so there's definitely a way to do it. Mostly they get protested and then the account is disabled. It could just be some other bloke called Dany Kvyat though.

BT didn't find the combo, that is a legit photo. I can tell from some of the pixels and from seeing quite a few photos in my time

I still can't believe the swap though. Incredibly harsh! Thrilled for Max, but his future was solid anyway. Kvyat should've been given time to make amends. His errors weren't even that bad!

I like that you found the correct track/car combo for the pic!

He still needs to configure those controls though. That must habitual because clearly he did the same thing at Sochi on Sunday. Couldn't stop, couldn't steer. Put dat wheel at 90 degrees, son! Have an h-pattern shifter and want to use it? Select no, you doof!

BT didn't find the combo, that is a legit photo. I can tell from some of the pixels and from seeing quite a few photos in my time

I still can't believe the swap though. Incredibly harsh! Thrilled for Max, but his future was solid anyway. Kvyat should've been given time to make amends. His errors weren't even that bad!

I counted these little known things called "photopixels" that I read about in a youtube comment. Dood, itz lahjeet.

RB/TR have been nothing, if not consistent over the years. If you so much as even waver from being WDC material, you're out. I actually agree wholeheartedly with them about that. However, if Kvyat eventually gets completely dropped from the program (which seems pretty likely), I'd sign him up in a heartbeat if I were one of the many other teams that don't have extensive young driver programs.

Excited for Mini Boss though!

bee

http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/fonsecker-sound-pack-part-1.7226/
http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/fonsecker-sound-pack-part-2.10230/

both parts of the fonsecker sound pack are out now for assetto corsa, really good mod with MUCH better sounds than the originals

Uncool move from Red Bull, but I'm happy for Max.

I'll drop this link here, if someone is interested:

Forza Motorsport: Apex
(link goes to Win10 store)

not a UWP fan myself, but I like Forza a lot and it's free

not even for free

Zeth

Fonsecker sounds for AC are great - highly recommended.

I recently got Real Head Motion working again on 64bit AC and it's so good. Combined with 144hz 1440 gsync display, it's like a whole new experience. Renewed my love for drifting too - it's perfect for that.

Nvidia doing separate rendering triple support at the driver level. Automobilista fans rejoice, Dirt Rally fans rejoice, pCARS fans rejoice.

Makikou

Nvidia doing separate rendering triple support at the driver level. Automobilista fans rejoice, Dirt Rally fans rejoice, pCARS fans rejoice.
If i understood it correctly, it's also basically iRacing's Triple Screen Rendering but without the performance drop-off.

If i understood it correctly, it's also basically iRacing's Triple Screen Rendering but without the performance drop-off.

Yep. I mean we'll see about no performance drop off. However, since it appears to be developed as a nice little party trick spun from the headliner of stereoscopic rendering for VR, you know it some solid engineering behind it.

"Brabham BT4..(!) ...no, that's not the suction fan car" (still very awesome!)

Then I wondered what kind of physics changes a fan car would need in a sim. It's not just "add constant vertical load at *this* point of the car" (I'm assuming that's what Gran Turismo does with the Chaparral 2J). You would have to simulate how the ground effect would change with changing ground clearance. Hmm, there are lots of cars with a flat bottom and diffusers in sims already... but do they really simulate the loss of downforce when you're going over a curb? Usually these cars don't lose a ton of downforce overall because they also have wings/spoilers/splitters (I think in some race series the amount of downforce derived from ground effects compared to the amount derived from wings is ratio limited); also the effect from unsettling the suspension has a greater handling impact than the suction-downforce loss. It might not be absolutely necessary to simulate ground effect downforce in regards to ground clearance and roll-angle, Idk.

So, does any of you guys know more about ground effects in sim racing? I'd love to do some further reading or be enlightened how necessary/unnecessary simulating the effect is.

Makikou

Official iRacing VLN Endurance Championship announced for iRacing.

http://www.iracing.com/vln-and-iracing-announce-virtual-online-series/

The VLN Endurance Championship and iRacing today announced the creation of the iRacing VLN Endurance Championship – a series that mirrors the real world VLN Endurance Championship but takes place on iRacing, the world’s leading online racing simulation.

iRacing laser scanned and built the Nürburging last year, releasing the track to its 60,000 active racers in December to rave reviews. iRacers can race the Nordscheife, the GP Strecke and several combined versions of the tracks from their home computers.“Collaborating with the VLN series to make an official online series is one more way we separate ourselves from the other ‘games’ out there. Our version of the track is millimeter accurate and to now have an official VLN series just adds to the immersion for our members,” said Tony Gardner, President, iRacing.com. “Our iRacing members can’t get enough racing at the Nürburging and have been requesting a real VLN series since the day we announced we were adding this historic track – I know they will be excited to race in the iRacing VLN Endurance Championship.”

“We first met with iRacing at the 2014 SimRacing Expo here at the Nürburging and immediately realized this would be a great partnership, offered Marius Golombeck, from VLN. “Now with the addition of the new generation GT3 cars, the Audi R8 LMS and the Mercedes-AMG GT3, the timing couldn’t be better to launch the official iRacing VLN Endurance Championship. Without a doubt this is going to be an exciting partnership and a fantastic way to promote sim racing.“

Competitors in the real world VLN Endurance Championship have also taken notice. Maro Engel, driver of the #6 Black Falcon Mercedes-AMG, and Laurens Vanthoor, driver of the #5 Phoenix Racing Audi R8 LMS, are both active iRacers who currently compete in the VLN Endurance Championship. Having turned many laps on iRacing’s rendition of the Nürburging as well, Engel and Vanthoor are in the unique position of knowing just how exciting the VLN series is and what it will mean to iRacers.

“Having raced on both the real Nürburging and on iRacing, I know that this new virtual series will be fantastic. It will be a fantastic way for sim racers around the world to get a real taste of the VLN series,” said Engel. “It’s amazing to be able to race my Mercedes-AMG GT3 car in iRacing, at the Nürburging, and I’m looking forward to this new series.”

“The VLN Endurance Championship is a very challenging series, and unlike any other series in the world. It’s exciting that so many more people will be able to experience it through iRacing,” said Vanthoor. “iRacing keeps getting better and better – first they built the Nürburging, then my Audi R8 LMS and now a true VLN series – these three together really make for some great racing.”

iRacing VLN Endurance Championship

Cars: 3-classes, 5 cars
• BMW Z4 GT3, Audi R8 LMS, Mercedes-AMG GT3
• Kia Optima
• Global Mazda MX5 Cup

Track: Nürburging Combined, Gesamtstrecke VLN

Schedule:

All races will be on Sunday, the day after the real world VLN race.

• May 15
• June 26
• July 17
• August 21
• September 4* (6-hours)
• September 25
• October 9
• October 23

Field size: Max 60

Team Requirements: Teams may consist of 1-4 drivers

Qualifying: Solo qualifying during the week, 45-minute sessions ending Saturday. Solo qualifying starts at the Tourist pit stalls.
Fair Share Rule: Not in effect

License requirement: Road D 1.0

Resets: No resets

Repairs: On

Servers: US Servers only

Race Car Setup: Open

Race Warmup: 15-minutes

Incident Limit: none

Race Distance: Most races will be four hours, one will be six hours

ISI staff have a physics blog and link to their Brabham BT44B WIP F1 car: http://isiforums.net/f/entry.php/5-Hello-and-welcome-to-our-new-physics-development-blog

Nice! Can't wait!

"Brabham BT4..(!) ...no, that's not the suction fan car" (still very awesome!)

Then I wondered what kind of physics changes a fan car would need in a sim. It's not just "add constant vertical load at *this* point of the car" (I'm assuming that's what Gran Turismo does with the Chaparral 2J). You would have to simulate how the ground effect would change with changing ground clearance. Hmm, there are lots of cars with a flat bottom and diffusers in sims already... but do they really simulate the loss of downforce when you're going over a curb? Usually these cars don't lose a ton of downforce overall because they also have wings/spoilers/splitters (I think in some race series the amount of downforce derived from ground effects compared to the amount derived from wings is ratio limited); also the effect from unsettling the suspension has a greater handling impact than the suction-downforce loss. It might not be absolutely necessary to simulate ground effect downforce in regards to ground clearance and roll-angle, Idk.

So, does any of you guys know more about ground effects in sim racing? I'd love to do some further reading or be enlightened how necessary/unnecessary simulating the effect is.

No, they definitely simulate ground effect in realtime where it's applicable. They're already using that same data to make all the other physical properties work. Tapping in to add forces that are dictated in part by the ride height of each corner probably isn't a big deal once you've already gone down the path of aero modeling.

You need car-specific aero data about the car though obviously.

The Chaparral is easier in some ways because the all that force from the fans is the same when it's standing still as it as 150mph. I'm sure from the "eyes" of a sim, it looks like it has massive mechanical grip. That may break things though since nothing about it suggests that should be the case.

TJP

ISI said:
Just in-time for the Indy 500 and Angie’s List Grand Prix of Indianapolis, we have an updated version of Indianapolis Motor Speedway for you to enjoy…

This minor release fixes a few equally minor issues, and is a good opportunity to demonstrate how a Steam content package update works. It should be a seamless experience; and it shouldn’t download the full track again if you’re subscribed to the item.

What’s changed? A good amount of cutting false positives have been addressed, as well as the pit entry glitch on the 2014 layout. Cam bugs have also been fixed, and the AI cars now use headlights on the road courses. In an attempt to slowly move away from the recent desaturated look, the grass should look a tad more alive.
I bolded the section from ISI about not having to download the entire track again because that is exactly what Steam is doing :)

Edit: I swear ISI don't do a whole lot of testing on their product. Not only did Steam download the entire track again, the track and car cache (Steam\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\Cache) has Indy version 1.3 saved and not version 1.7 The locations folder (\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\Installed\Locations) has both 1.3 and 1.7 installed. rF2 on Steam is supposed to save the latest versions in the applicable file folders and automatically delete the old versions.
ISI said:
Changelog:
– Fixed AI headlights on road courses
– Fixed several false positive cut detections
– Fixed pit entry glitch on 2014 layout
– Fixed cams on 400 and 500 layouts
– Increased grass saturation

mrsmr2

At least that answers my (unanswered) question on the ISI forum about the cache being downloaded again if content changes. The answer seems to be: no, and the cache is out of date, not updated.

Can't say I understand why there is a cache and workshop. They should have one or the other. At least with the workshop only option you can opt out of downloading content if you wish.

No, they definitely simulate ground effect in realtime where it's applicable. They're already using that same data to make all the other physical properties work. Tapping in to add forces that are dictated in part by the ride height of each corner probably isn't a big deal once you've already gone down the path of aero modeling.

You need car-specific aero data about the car though obviously.

The Chaparral is easier in some ways because the all that force from the fans is the same when it's standing still as it as 150mph. I'm sure from the "eyes" of a sim, it looks like it has massive mechanical grip. That may break things though since nothing about it suggests that should be the case.

Thanks for getting back to my question.
I hope that's true and that sims also have data about drag-to-downforce conversion effectiveness for the different aero systems of a car, but in no sim I've ever played I had the feeling to lose something like 30% of the downforce when hitting a high curb at unhealthy speeds.

Thanks for getting back to my question.
I hope that's true and that sims also have data about drag-to-downforce conversion effectiveness for the different aero systems of a car, but in no sim I've ever played I had the feeling to lose something like 30% of the downforce when hitting a high curb at unhealthy speeds.

If the floor is off the ground, you have an even bigger problem, so are the tires. Two inside wheels off the ground briefly turns your car's cornering ability into a that of a motorcycle.

Zeth

Bravo to whoever convinced them that's credible information. Not like they have a reputation to protect - people will still read the stuff.
facepalm.gif

Shaneus

When you quote PRC, you hit a new low in 'journalism' & clearly VirtualR were having a glacially slow news day.

I believe Stefano is on the money regarding the PRC track record:
Wait, PRC were behind the rumour? Fucking hell. Scratch VirtualR off my list.

Top Bottom