• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims Thread

TJP

Not sure why this wasn't posted...

http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/automobilista-development-update.121822/

Race Department said:
Reiza have given a first viewing of some additional new content they hope to add to the game in the next few weeks. Now defunct Brazilian racing series the Copa Montana truck series as well as the Speedland kart track and Mendig Gymkhana location are well advanced

And..

Race Department said:
Details of the first round of premium DLC content making its way into the game.

Brands Hatch in Great Britain is the first of 3 British circuits coming to Automobilista (Oulton Park and Cadwell Park will be included at a later date). One would assume the AMS Brands Hatch will include both the National and Grand Prix version of the circuit, however this has yet to be confirmed by the studio.

As well as the paid DLC Reiza are also releasing a high performance open wheel car from yesteryear, the Formula Vintage.

Race Department have reported 10-12 DLC items released over the remainder of 2016, each item including either one completely new series or venue, with prices for each item ranging from US $2.99 to US $4.99

We also have this beauty coming too:
ams-ultima_gtr_wip-jpg.135193
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoigMFX2ivM

Shaneus

Quick question: What was the "best" of the Codies F1 games? I think I might get back into one of them, but I own 2010-2012. I think the best of those was 2011, yes?

Quick question: What was the "best" of the Codies F1 games? I think I might get back into one of them, but I own 2010-2012. I think the best of those was 2011, yes?
I think the best Codemasters F1 game for racing is F1 2015. Best physics, best tyre management, best AI, imo. But it is barebones in terms of features. 2011 was probably the most elaborate, but really 2010 to 2013 were very similar. 2014 was more of the same too, but a bit of a dud as the new cars did not suit the old physics engine at all, so the handling was pretty crazy.

DD

I think the best Codemasters F1 game for racing is F1 2015. Best physics, best tyre management, best AI, imo. But it is barebones in terms of features. 2011 was probably the most elaborate, but really 2010 to 2013 were very similar. 2014 was more of the same too, but a bit of a dud as the new cars did not suit the old physics engine at all, so the handling was pretty crazy.
Really?! Glad I didn't pick it then.

I have the '10, '11, '12 and '13 versions, and '13 is my favorite. I played a little bit of '15 on the free weekend and really liked it, but I'll wait for the '16 version.

I'm gonna go against the rest and say 2013 because of the classic mode. In all their aspects it's just like 2010-2012 I believe, but having the famous historic cars makes it a better deal to me.

Shaneus

Really?! Glad I didn't pick it then.

I have the '10, '11, '12 and '13 versions, and '13 is my favorite. I played a little bit of '15 on the free weekend and really liked it, but I'll wait for the '16 version.
Yeah, it's sounding like '16 might be a goer. Codies are on the up and up with the Evo acquisition and Dirt Rally, my hopes are high that '16 will be a pearler.

I hope they have a feature where if you DNF because of an own-fault accident, you get demoted to the sister team.

saladine1

Who's our resident Raceroom guy here and is there any news/.plans on more classic car content coming our way?

I love racing the Group 5's, 90's DTM's, GTO's..etc....need more..

TJP

Who's our resident Raceroom guy here and is there any news/.plans on more classic car content coming our way?

That would likely be me...None of the cars or classes are on the radar at the present; seems the main focus is squashing bugs that were missed in the last 'live' patch and implementing some graphical changes such as road shaders.

I know the DTM Mercedes 2016 was accidentally revealed (http://game.raceroom.com/championships/5), the BMW M235i is coming, the BMW M6 GT3 and Audi TT RS - none of the cars you're likely to be interested in :) More often than not, we are asked to test cars several weeks before they are available in the sim so we are often as surprised as the general public. I'm sure they'll be more cool cars from DTM, Group 5 and GTO in the future!

In other news we've been told the V8 Supercars have been shelved for the time being. Given the Holden was on the RaceRoom RE SimBin/Sector 3 Gamescom poster back in 2012-'13, I suspect a few people knew about this series making an appearance at some point. As of last year the Volvo V8 had been licenced, the Falcon licence was already sown up ages ago, Nissan and the not-Merc were said to be coming. The only holdout was GM-H who refused to answer Jay-E's requests.

I've no idea why this has happened but given the age some of the content has been licenced for e.g the Audi R18 has been licenced for nearly as long as the car itself has been in existence and only recently made it into R3E! I figure the back log of content needs to be cleared before newer licences are added..or the German focus (as that's where the bulk of the players are from) will continue.

saladine1

That would likely be me...None of the cars or classes are on the radar at the present; seems the main focus is squashing bugs that were missed in the last 'live' patch and implementing some graphical changes such as road shaders.

I know the DTM Mercedes 2016 was accidentally revealed (http://game.raceroom.com/championships/5), the BMW M235i is coming, the BMW M6 GT3 and Audi TT RS - none of the cars you're likely to be interested in :) More often than not, we are asked to test cars several weeks before they are available in the sim so we are often as surprised as the general public. I'm sure they'll be more cool cars from DTM, Group 5 and GTO in the future!

In other news we've been told the V8 Supercars have been shelved for the time being. Given the Holden was on the RaceRoom RE SimBin/Sector 3 Gamescom poster back in 2012-'13, I suspect a few people knew about this series making an appearance at some point. As of last year the Volvo V8 had been licenced, the Falcon licence was already sown up ages ago, Nissan and the not-Merc were said to be coming. The only holdout was GM-H who refused to answer Jay-E's requests.

I've no idea why this has happened but given the age some of the content has been licenced for e.g the Audi R18 has been licenced for nearly as long as the car itself has been in existence and only recently made it into R3E! I figure the back log of content needs to be cleared before newer licences are added..or the German focus (as that's where the bulk of the players are from) will continue.

That's a shame in regards to classic content and V8 Supercars.
Hopefully we'll see something soon...
Thanks for the update.

DD

I hope they have a feature where if you DNF because of an own-fault accident, you get demoted to the sister team.
LMAO!

Group 5 is cool as f*ck. I'm currently having a blast with Touring Classics (I have both bimmers). I tested the GTO Nissan, but it seemed too much for me. If I had a wheel, perhaps... Had to hold my shit not to get a G27 on sale last weekend. =/

90's DTM seems cool. Maybe one day I'll pick it.

Road cars, huh! Not something I was missing.

Lach

Played a lot of project cars with the Vive over the weekend.

I did some VR racing with the Oculus DK2 when I got it but this is another huge step forward. With the DK2 I couldn't do more then 10-15 minutes at a time, both because the headset was unconfortable (and heavy) and it gave me slight nausia.

I'm not experiencing this with the vive.
The imersion is incredible. I mostly played Formula Rookie career and being able to check how close you get your front wheel to the apex (funnily something that Alan from VVV mentioned on the latest video) is incredible. Not only does it make me faster, I also had a lot fewer incidents with the AI cars, because it helps with spacial awareness. I actually managed quite a few overtakes by taking inside or outside lines alongside the AI. The AI still did a few crazy things ("rejoining" the track, lol) but it's a lot more fun.
I had no problem spending 2 hours in VR without getting any kind auf nausia. Only problem is sweat.
Also great is watching replayes. With TV camera setting, it is often times like standing at the side of the track, watching the cars go by.

Alan's judgement is, that is great but due to the low resolution it doesn't replace a triple screen setup. I guess I can agree with that, but as I don't have a triple screen setup, Vive will be my prefered way to play.
Hope more games will integrate native vive support.

Zeth

My Rift is arriving today. Still haven't gotten my hard drives in order to upgrade from Win 7 to 10 though - so I might not get a chance to fire it up until the weekend. Guess I should look into T300 settings for PCars.

edit: wait Win 10 not required for Rift? Not sure where I got this in my head.

DD

Wait, you mean rain?!

Interesting Automobilista presentation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLNwelkMrp0

Pretty interesting once they get into it.

Played a lot of project cars with the Vive over the weekend.

I did some VR racing with the Oculus DK2 when I got it but this is another huge step forward. With the DK2 I couldn't do more then 10-15 minutes at a time, both because the headset was unconfortable (and heavy) and it gave me slight nausia.

I'm not experiencing this with the vive.
The imersion is incredible. I mostly played Formula Rookie career and being able to check how close you get your front wheel to the apex (funnily something that Alan from VVV mentioned on the latest video) is incredible. Not only does it make me faster, I also had a lot fewer incidents with the AI cars, because it helps with spacial awareness. I actually managed quite a few overtakes by taking inside or outside lines alongside the AI. The AI still did a few crazy things ("rejoining" the track, lol) but it's a lot more fun.
I had no problem spending 2 hours in VR without getting any kind auf nausia. Only problem is sweat.
Also great is watching replayes. With TV camera setting, it is often times like standing at the side of the track, watching the cars go by.

Alan's judgement is, that is great but due to the low resolution it doesn't replace a triple screen setup. I guess I can agree with that, but as I don't have a triple screen setup, Vive will be my prefered way to play.
Hope more games will integrate native vive support.

Good stuff, Lach. Good to hear you're finding it a good step on from DK2.

@Zeth mine comes Thursday. Aw yizz!

Kodiak333

Neo Member
Lach, what's is your rig and settings that you used by chance? I'm looking to buy Project Cars, but I'm afraid of the performance (from what I've heard).

TJP

Interesting Automobilista presentation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLNwelkMrp0
Anyone have the highlights of the video? 70+ minutes is a little too long to watch at work ;)

Edit: feeling a little sorry for Phuoc Tran as the volume of the historic videos keeps going up and down. According to the presentation the 3 modern engines are iRacing, Assetto Corsa and isimotor 2.5...apparently Marcel doesn't read the PRC blog! (e.g. iRacing is 65% NASCAR Racing 2003 Season code) etc. Reiza and Luminis worked together on AMS.

Edit 2: "Physics are probably the most difficult thing to get right in a racing game" - Marcel Offermans.

Zeth

- Oculus Rift SDK 1.3 (WIP Pre Alpha)
- Fixed self shadowing on tyres
- Fixed wrong log output
- Dynamic controllers for turbo boost
- Added RPMS input to dynamic controllers
- Implementation of Scalable Apps
- Fixed replay Interface
- Fixed setup info screen
- Added filtered speed
- Fixed race non progression when player is not moving
- Improved MP collision system
- Improved AI fuel handling
- Shared Memory: return type from bool to int
- Fixed Hotlap Mode unlocking achievement through not valid laps
- Fixed deltaT for renderAudio
- Bodywork and horn volumes uses engineVolume
- Bodywork's smoothvalue use a different alpha
- Added analogic placeholder for car modellers
- Added option to draw driver's label on focused car (system\cfg\name_displayer.ini -> DRAW_FOCUSEDCAR)
- Fixed CameraCar bad nearplane when forcing camera mode change (see exiting from replay)
- Implementation of Chat App (system\cfg\chat_app.ini)
- SharedMemory: Moved AirTemp/RoadTemp from Static to Physics, old values in static are deprecated
- Timing use also the hour/minutes format
- Fixed GoToPits Cheat to start from the pits.
- Added 4 Wheel Steer systems (Nissan Skyline , Mazda RX7)
- acServerManager : storing Driver data also save the current model/skin, so through drag&drop the saved skin can be used on a new slot)
- Added flags indications for completed session in leaderboards
- F9 overlay leaderboard is now avoiding red colours for better differentiation of opponent proximity indicators
- Added new [ASSETTO_CORSA] SIMULATION_VALUE parameter. Increase the number to increase simulation value. Defaults to 0 for obvious reasons
- Engine performance is now dependent on air density/temperature
- New AWD transmission code, still WIP (Nissan Skyline & Alfa 155)
- Fixed pitstop window not appearing when AI retired some car
- Experimental heating corrections on semislick tyres for Lotus 2-11, Exige Scura, Exige 240 and S3, Lotus Elise SC, KTM X-Bow, Mazda MX5 ND, Toyota AE86 Tuned and Drift
- BOP for GT3 cars
- Improved Mercedes AMG GT3 data

Rift support returns!

Lach

Lach, what's is your rig and settings that you used by chance? I'm looking to buy Project Cars, but I'm afraid of the performance (from what I've heard).

Don't have the exact specs, but its two years old with was the top i7 processor back then, 16GB and I've updated the graphics card to a Titan X last year.

AC's Rift support couldn't have come at a better time! EXCITE!

---------

Anyone looking to kill a few minutes can watch some GAF-on-GAF crime in the Spec Racer Ford at Bathurst. Whose cuisine will reign supreme?

Also congratulations to Betta for cracking the top 100 on the road side. He's sporting a fairly ridiculous 6600 iR at the moment.

click me

Makikou

- Added new [ASSETTO_CORSA] SIMULATION_VALUE parameter. Increase the number to increase simulation value. Defaults to 0 for obvious reasons

Heh, it's not like i've pulled off like 20 jokes about this already.

Hakkelus

Heh, it's not like i've pulled off like 20 jokes about this already.

Jokes aside, what does that setting mean?

FireRises

Good thing I didn't buy DP2 and 3 the other day. Been playing some AC lately after a long break and it feels so good to me. Just driving around the Nord on my own is a great sensation.

yeah I love these games for that reason, it's relaxing doing runs on your favorite tracks. My wheel and seat is in storage, so I'll have to make do with a xb1 controller for now.

For the last 3 times AC was on sale I forced myself not to buy it and wait. Wait until the console version is out, so I can experience it with so many other gaffers together for the first time, but... the delays are just too much for me and August is not a good time to release a racing game with Forza usually in September and GT maybe in October along the PSVR.

I'll bite.
Depending on how deep I'll fall in love with it, I may be able to put it aside again after a few sessions until August (if the d-pad friendly menus aren't in yet, this could be easy).

Makikou

- Added 4 Wheel Steer systems (Nissan Skyline , Mazda RX7)

The Skyline indeed has the ATTESA system for a 4WS system but wait a second.

RX-7? The game has the FD3S Spirit R which does NOT have an active 4-wheel steering system. The 2nd gen FC3S does have one (DTSS) but not the 3rd gen FD which is in AC..

The Skyline indeed has the ATTESA system for a 4WS system but wait a second.

RX-7? The game has the FD3S Spirit R which does NOT have an active 4-wheel steering system. The 2nd gen FC3S does have one (DTSS) but not the 3rd gen FD which is in AC..
It's a weird mix, passive steering under normal conditions and induced toe-in on the outside wheel at high cornering forces or deceleration. Anyway, as you said, it seemed to have been ditched in the last generation. They also misspelled RX-7 in the changelog.

Shaneus

I haven't played AC in forever. Think I'll just buy Dream Packs 2 and 3 for now, can't justify buying the Jap pack right now given it's not on sale.

Hoping she still looks pretty good/runs well on my 280X. Are there a list of graphics settings that cause more load than they're worth and can be safely disabled? And are wheel settings (like the G27) pretty good by default?

Further evidence we won't get official G27 support on PS4 :/

TJP

I haven't played AC in forever. Think I'll just buy Dream Packs 2 and 3 for now, can't justify buying the Jap pack right now given it's not on sale.

Hoping she still looks pretty good/runs well on my 280X. Are there a list of graphics settings that cause more load than they're worth and can be safely disabled? And are wheel settings (like the G27) pretty good by default?
Can't tell you how AC runs on ATI hardware (probably be fine); you can obtain a significant frame rate boost - and better visuals IMO - by turning off the post processing. I published my findings in the Assetto Corsa thread here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=194010225&postcount=3135

G27 settings are solid out of the box as that is what Kunos use as their default wheel. Turn off the canned effects which are listed by some handsome devil (me) in the OP of this thread: http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/assetto-corsa-logitech-g25-g27-settings.77244/

The Japanese car pack is brilliant and 20 USA cents more than the discounted 'dream packs'.

AxeMan

Anyone looking to kill a few minutes can watch some GAF-on-GAF crime in the Spec Racer Ford at Bathurst. Whose cuisine will reign supreme?

Also congratulations to Betta for cracking the top 100 on the road side. He's sporting a fairly ridiculous 6600 iR at the moment.

Good race

Shaneus

Can't tell you how AC runs on ATI hardware (probably be fine); you can obtain a significant frame rate boost - and better visuals IMO - by turning off the post processing. I published my findings in the Assetto Corsa thread here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=194010225&postcount=3135

G27 settings are solid out of the box as that is what Kunos use as their default wheel. Turn off the canned effects which are listed by some handsome devil (me) in the OP of this thread: http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/assetto-corsa-logitech-g25-g27-settings.77244/

The Japanese car pack is brilliant and 20 USA cents more than the discounted 'dream packs'.
Awesome. Only reason is because I'm supposed to be "saving" and it's easier to write off sub-$10 with the accountant than it is $15 ;)

And FWIW, I despise post-processing in pretty much all games. Before I got my current card, there was a stupid increase in performance in Dirt Rally when disabling it completely. Plus, it usually looks like arse.

Watevaman

Man, Assetto Corsa just feels so right all the time. Know how some games (be them racing sims or others) make you feel like a mistake could be the game being wonky? Not with AC. If you crash you know it's because you did something wrong, not because the physics engine was acting wonky or such.

Case in point: I crashed right after I stopped recording this webm:

http://orig00.deviantart.net/3c14/f/2016/141/b/a/audi_r8_lms_ac_nurb1_by_watevaman-da38i8n.webm

edit: Oh, and while it may be dated, I personally think AC is one of the better looking sims out today. While I love the way R3E looks, sounds, feels, the visuals have a certain sterility to them. I'm running AC with the "natural look" mod and in dash view, with a little more movement, I think it would be almost perfect for my taste.

DD

Man, Assetto Corsa just feels so right all the time. Know how some games (be them racing sims or others) make you feel like a mistake could be the game being wonky? Not with AC. If you crash you know it's because you did something wrong, not because the physics engine was acting wonky or such.

Case in point: I crashed right after I stopped recording this webm:

http://orig00.deviantart.net/3c14/f/2016/141/b/a/audi_r8_lms_ac_nurb1_by_watevaman-da38i8n.webm

edit: Oh, and while it may be dated, I personally think AC is one of the better looking sims out today. While I love the way R3E looks, sounds, feels, the visuals have a certain sterility to them. I'm running AC with the "natural look" mod and in dash view, with a little more movement, I think it would be almost perfect for my taste.
And how's the AI and the single player modes? Is there a good number of tracks? Does it have long championships? Does it work fine with an X360 pad? I'm thinking about getting it. =B

Watevaman

And how's the AI and the single player modes? Is there a good number of tracks? Does it have long championships? Does it work fine with an X360 pad? I'm thinking about getting it. =B

I have to admit that I normally hotlap in sims (I know, I know) so I can't really comment too much on the AI or championships. I have run a few races and the AI in its current state is serviceable. I've run a few multi class style races on the Nurburgring and at the end of a few laps, it seems that they have some trouble passing properly because the 458s were still stuck behind the slower cars like the FR-S and Mustang. My standard for AI is still GTR2 because of the awareness they seemed to have. It may be nostalgia, but I had some good races in there that I have yet to match in anything else.

As for the tracks, it ships with plenty, but there are also a lot of tracks that modders have brought in. I've tried a fair amount of the fantasy tracks and they all feel really good.

And I currently run with a DFGT because my T500 is at another location, but I had to use a 360 pad for a while and it worked well. You'll never get the precision you have with a wheel but it doesn't feel bad by any means.

DD

I have to admit that I normally hotlap in sims (I know, I know) so I can't really comment too much on the AI or championships. I have run a few races and the AI in its current state is serviceable. I've run a few multi class style races on the Nurburgring and at the end of a few laps, it seems that they have some trouble passing properly because the 458s were still stuck behind the slower cars like the FR-S and Mustang. My standard for AI is still GTR2 because of the awareness they seemed to have. It may be nostalgia, but I had some good races in there that I have yet to match in anything else.

As for the tracks, it ships with plenty, but there are also a lot of tracks that modders have brought in. I've tried a fair amount of the fantasy tracks and they all feel really good.

And I currently run with a DFGT because my T500 is at another location, but I had to use a 360 pad for a while and it worked well. You'll never get the precision you have with a wheel but it doesn't feel bad by any means.
Great to know. Thanks! ;)

Watevaman

Great to know. Thanks! ;)

It's currently on sale, so if you pick it up, now would be the time. If you don't like it, there's always refunds...

It's hard to describe and even hard to visualize, but AC just feels natural. I don't know if it's the tire model, suspension model, combination of both, but almost everything feels right, even without touching setups.

Top Bottom