• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims Thread

tvHQwmV.jpg

Love that display plate, MarvHarv. Very slick.

For me..

T300RS Wheel - 290€ (sale price)
Clubsport Pedals V2 Used + new throttle sensor - 200€
1x BenQ 24" XL2411 + 2x cheap ass 24" screens - 300€
iRacing - nearing 800€ from what I can remember.
I mis-read that as if you'd spent €800 on iRacing, which seems quite possible!
Don't ruin my weekend spirits by making me add all this stuff up!
Oh indeed. Forget reading Going Faster, if you're a sim racer the best advice is to never ever look at the cost.
Haha, that probably won't happen until I cease being a big POS and get a grip on my life. :(
That's what I thought a couple of years ago. Hope you have better will power than I!

DD

That's what I thought a couple of years ago. Hope you have better will power than I!
Damn! What have I done. Oh boy...

Protip: You can switch between some rotation presets by pressing buttons on the shifter; hold down the two middle red buttons and then hit a, b, x or y(don't know what the buttons are called, but they're equivalent to that on a 360 controller)to switch.

Awesome! Thanks for the tip.

(click me)

Another Spec Racer Ford "Versus" race between myself and Betta, only this wasn't much of a versus. A subpar quali, and some race start faff meant I was on my own. Collectively the race was salvaged with some good racing early from B. Lines until some teammates Merc'd each other out, and then later from me trying to back through the field.

Can I make it a GAF 1-2 finish?

Arucardo

Speaking about spending too much on sim racing, just made a deal on a Fanatec CSL Seat :) . Picking it up tomorrow for 150eur.

Pretty excited to replace my wheelstand and uncomfortable chair with a decent rig.

Makikou

I mis-read that as if you'd spent €800 on iRacing, which seems quite possible!

It's completely true but i don't feel like it's wasted at all. I've made a ton of new friends, found a great community that is Club Finland. We have 3 meetings every year where it's just driving iRacing, watching motorsport videos/watching races together & going to the Sauna obviously. So awesome.

Well, obviously I can consider that a worthy price of admission although that isn't actually what iRacing would offer to anyone else who goes into the sim. It's just a bonus I get to race in the best online sim (imo) out there right now.

It's completely true but i don't feel like it's wasted at all. I've made a ton of new friends, found a great community that is Club Finland. We have 3 meetings every year where it's just driving iRacing, watching motorsport videos/watching races together & going to the Sauna obviously. So awesome.

Well, obviously I can consider that a worthy price of admission although that isn't actually what iRacing would offer to anyone else who goes into the sim. It's just a bonus I get to race in the best online sim (imo) out there right now.
Oh indeed. I paid for a 2-year subscription last and I already feel that I've got my monies worth!

Obviously!

That sounds great. I'm jealous of places with good clubs. The US ones are just too subdivided. By geography and by interests (road/oval).

TJP

This is rather funny if you're not a fan of PRC which I presume is most of us here.

PRC post an article claiming that Ian Bell moving to Singapore with his family is a sign pCARS 2 has serious implications on development. The most glaring problem (apart from the privacy issue) is that it's a complete non-story as Ian announced the move on his own pCARS forum last year. Clearly someone alerted Ian and he responds to the claims, asking Austin AKA James to call him for a one-on-one interview..the rest you can read on the blog: https://pretendracecars.net/2016/05/30/lives-in-singapore/

Megasoum

Banned
This is rather funny if you're not a fan of PRC which I presume is most of us here.

PRC post an article claiming that Ian Bell moving to Singapore with his family is a sign pCARS 2 has serious implications on development. The most glaring problem (apart from the privacy issue) is that it's a complete non-story as Ian announced the move on his own pCARS forum last year. Clearly someone alerted Ian and he responds to the claims, asking Austin AKA James to call him for a one-on-one interview..the rest you can read on the blog: https://pretendracecars.net/2016/05/30/lives-in-singapore/

Not the biggest Ian fan but man that PRC dude is a fucking moron.

Those comments were really entertaining to read lol.

Wonder what's that pCARS2 offshoot he's talking about.

TJP

Not the biggest Ian fan but man that PRC dude is a fucking moron.
Agree on both points ;) The Turn10 to buy Kunos bait laid by Kunos insiders was damn funny to watch unravel too.

Those comments were really entertaining to read lol.

Wonder what's that pCARS2 offshoot he's talking about.
Ian doesn't pull any punches - and as libel is PRC's main game, I can't say I blame him. I've no idea what the offshoot is; probably just a 'f**k you' comment to keep PRC guessing :)

Nope. Adblockers FTW or Bluhell firewall for me - just not in use while on NeoGAF 8)

The follow up: https://pretendracecars.net/2016/06/01/i-think-were-friends-now/
Even if you have adblock on and deny him the revenue, the blog counts your visit as a site-hit; the more hits, the better ads get assigned to the page, the more money that guy gets from other visitors without adblock.

50% of the time I try to find some facts about a sim, his blog is in the first 5 google search results. It's sad.
The site is on my adblock list, but I'm not going there anymore. I'd also bet he could get just as many hits if he tried out a little professionalism, now that google values his blog so highly.

GHG

Nope. Adblockers FTW or Bluhell firewall for me - just not in use while on NeoGAF 8)

The follow up: https://pretendracecars.net/2016/06/01/i-think-were-friends-now/

This whole thing is rediculous. And some of the comments on these posts are rediculous.

It's astonishing that some people can get so invested in attacking a game they clearly don't seem to like and the guy who made it. Don't they have anything better to do? Like... Play the other games out there that they think are "SO MUCH BETTER"?

They clearly can't be that great if you'd prefer to spend your time harassing a CEO on the Internet.

TJP

Moron put Ian's phone number on the site.... Genius...
Ian sent a known leaker of information that happened to include his private number - what do you think will happen? While I'm not condoning Austin's post, I still cannot believe Ian Bell engaged with the PRC clown.

It's astonishing that some people can get so invested in attacking a game they clearly don't seem to like and the guy who made it. Don't they have anything better to do? Like... Play the other games out there that they think are "SO MUCH BETTER"?

They clearly can't be that great if you'd prefer to spend your time harassing a CEO on the Internet.
You've clearly missed the PRC M.O. - everything in modern PC sim racing sucks according to PRC. And Ian contacted PRC not the other way around.

The two articles have gone from a storm in a teacup to reactor meltdown in the space of 12 hours.

Some good news: http://www.virtualr.net/road-atlanta-automobilista-released

Mascot

Ian sent a known leaker of information that happened to include his private number - what do you think will happen? While I'm not condoning Austin's post, I still cannot believe Ian Bell engaged with the PRC clown.

I imagine that number was from a supermarket burner and not his 'normal' cell.

Has anyone tried ringing it..? :p

Edit: ha ha, Dan Greenawalt has chimed in now.

TJP

I imagine that number was from a supermarket burner and not his 'normal' cell.

Has anyone tried ringing it..? :p
As someone commented - people are so cheap nowadays, there is little chance anyone outside of Singapore will call his mobile phone!

The comment certainly made me laugh.

Mascot

I think it's the real Dan Greenawalt. He does know kung fu, and he could whip two pussies at the same time. The facts stack up.

Megasoum

Banned
I think it's the real Dan Greenawalt. He does know kung fu, and he could whip two pussies at the same time. The facts stack up.

Lmao

Seriously tho. As much as I fucking hate the constant PR bullshit that comes out of this guy mouth (I don't think I've ever seen him do a truthful and honest interview) I don't think he's the kind of guy who would say things like that. He looks like a cool dude. Also Microsoft would never let an employee say something like that.

Odorono

Banned
I doubt this is the real Dan Greenawalt.

Fucking lol.

Lmao

Seriously tho. As much as I fucking hate the constant PR bullshit that comes out of this guy mouth (I don't think I've ever seen him do a truthful and honest interview) I don't think he's the kind of guy who would say things like that. He looks like a cool dude. Also Microsoft would never let an employee say something like that.

Dude of course it's not him what the hell.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So weird anecdote!

I love racing games and tried to get into sim racers a few times. More often than not, it just turns into me playing a whole bunch with a controller and thinking that I'm gimping myself by not using a wheel...Then I look up wheel prices and get sad.

I was recently in Hawaii and drove the Road To Hana in a Mustang and felt like a bad ass on a fun road course. It made me REALLY want to play some sim racers again.

So looking at things, AC looks to be the best option right now on Steam. However, I only have a wired 360 controller. How will that go? Will I be disappointed with it? And in terms of wheels, where am I at with the most "realistic" feeling wheel that won't set me back a shit ton of cash?

Makikou

In other, sim-related news, iRacing just publicized their new Season 3 2016 Patch Notes.

Welcome to 2016 Season 3!

This season release features the brand new Italian road course, Autodromo Enzo e Dino Ferrari, better known as Imola! We have performed an extensive update to all track surfaces to better model physics collisions, even with tiny particles like sparks, gravel, and marbles. The dynamic track surface now includes dust and gravel, which is brought onto the racing surface from off-track excursions and affects tire grip. Also, we have added the ability to retrieve more accurate statistics on Incident Points for all racers, even in Replay mode. Some time was also spent adjusting the 2014 V8 Supercars to improve their stability, and handling, and bringing the 2016 digital dashboards to the NASCAR Sprint Cup series' vehicles. We've even added preliminary DirectX 11 support for those of you with an Oculus Rift! Finally, we have completed an artistic overhaul of the South Boston Speedway to help it shine with the latest iRacing graphics updates. Along with a host of bug fixes, balance tweaks, and minor updates, we hope you enjoy the 2016 Season 3 Release!

The big ones:

Dynamic Track

- Dust and gravel can now be dragged and thrown onto the track by wayward cars, which then interacts with the tires to affect grip and accumulation of debris on the tires.

- The way the Dynamic Track is stored in a replay has been improved to allow sudden changes in the track surface state to be seen immediately.

PopcornFX

- All tracks now have complete particle collision, so particles such as dirt, sparks, and gravel can bounce along the surface instead of passing through the environment.

Audio

- Improved road rolling, aero, and wind sounds for all vehicles.

- Scrape noises for Armco fence rails and vehicle undertrays have been improved.

Tires

- Improved the effective tire grip calculations related to marbles and dust on track.

Oculus Rift

- Support for the consumer version of the Oculus Rift has been added to iRacing, based on the Oculus 1.3.2 SDK. This new support is available only in the DirectX 11 version of the Simulator. The DirectX 9 version of the Simulator is still based on the Oculus 0.4.2 BETA SDK.

Ford Falcon FG V8 & Holden Commodore VF V8

- The baseline setup for this vehicle has been updated.

- Significant modifications have been made to the 2014 V8 Supercars to address handling issues, particularly over bumps and curbs. These modifications include:
- - Chassis torsional stiffness has been added.
- - Available rear damping forces have been increased.
- - Spring perch offsets have been added in the Garage. This provides the ability to adjust bump rubber engagements without changing ride heights via combined damper length and perch offset adjustments. Spring perch offsets that produce less than 40-50mm of shock deflection in the Garage are not recommended.

- This vehicle now uses V6 tires. These tires are capable of maintaining grip at higher operating temperatures, so they should feel less greasy in hot ambient conditions and more catchable in big slides. However, be aware that grip will be slower to build when the tires are cold, so it will feel icy for the first few laps when ambient temperatures are cold. Also, you will nominally find peak grip at around the 3rd to 5th timed lap on a qualifying run. We understand this is not ideal for 2-lap qualifying runs, but felt that better grip at high operating temperatures (where the tires run most of the time) would be a worthwhile tradeoff against a relatively slow build of grip when cold.

- Chassis torsional stiffness has been reduced to help the rear lose lateral grip more progressively.

- Rear suspension geometry has been adjusted to slightly reduce the effect of camber sensitivity.

- Fixed a display issue with the digits on the steering wheel display.

- This vehicle has been converted to use PBR shaders.

- Updated engine, gear shift, transmission, backfire, and rev limiter sounds, and pit limiter sounds have been added.

NASCAR Sprint Cup Chevrolet SS & Ford Fusion & Toyota Camry

- The 2016 NASCAR Season digital display dashboard and functionality have been added to this vehicle. The digital display used in these cars is highly customizable and the screens used vary drastically from team to team. In an attempt to give you the same options, we’ve created 3 different screens from which you can select in the F8 screen.

- The fog light and upper grill decals have been updated to match the 2016 NASCAR Season.

- The 2016 NASCAR Season contingencies and splitter/spoiler have been enabled. Because of this, the non-superspeedway rear spoiler can now be painted.

- The template for this car has been updated to reflect the above changes.

** New engine sounds for Toyota, updated Ford Fusion appearance to match 2016 NASCAR season **

Autodromo Enzo e Dino Ferrari

- NEW TRACK RELEASED! Test out your circuit racing skills on this counter-clockwise Italian racetrack steeped in history.

South Boston Speedway

- South Boston Speedway has received an extensive art upgrade for all track configs, including the track surface, environment objects, and structures to help it shine like new!

Full notes here.

Patrick S.

Banned
So weird anecdote!

I love racing games and tried to get into sim racers a few times. More often than not, it just turns into me playing a whole bunch with a controller and thinking that I'm gimping myself by not using a wheel...Then I look up wheel prices and get sad.

I was recently in Hawaii and drove the Road To Hana in a Mustang and felt like a bad ass on a fun road course. It made me REALLY want to play some sim racers again.

So looking at things, AC looks to be the best option right now on Steam. However, I only have a wired 360 controller. How will that go? Will I be disappointed with it? And in terms of wheels, where am I at with the most "realistic" feeling wheel that won't set me back a shit ton of cash?

AC works fine with the 360 controller, and you won't need to agonize over configuring the settings, as you do in pCARS. I've played 140 hours with the controller.

So weird anecdote!

What's weird is that everybody comes here for wheel questions even though there is a thread for that. But that's cool, everyone here is happy to help, I think.

The Thrustmaster T300 is the way to go in price-performance ratio, I wouldn't know anyone who disagrees. If you need a lower price, check the T150, most people who have a direct comparison between the T150 (or TMX on if you don't want PS4, but Xb1 compatibility) and the Logitech G29/G920 seem to prefer the T150 because of its belt-driven tech, even though the materials feel cheaper. The other alternative is trying to find an older G27 somewhere. Not supported by this-gen consoles, but on the PC it's still the most widespread wheel around.

Top Bottom