• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims Thread

vanty

Kunos guys are all tweeting about something happening on the 17th along with pictures of cats. Hopefully it'll be more interesting than just getting the Jaguar license or something.

My apologies. I contemplated adding '/s' to the end of my post, but I let it go through without. I realise my error and have added it in. IIRC, the whole Turn 10 story was someone playing a joke on PRC.

Watevaman

I think they're converting to the new industry standard of cat power. You see, horsepower has the disadvantage of being named after a very powerful animal, whereas a cat is high ferocity but not very strong. Therefore, a vehicle that previously had 400 horsepower will now have 1800 cat power. Everyone loves bigger numbers.

Jilt

Cats can't count to 10 they only have 4 toes per paw.

Not true, but nice try!

jagers-claw-ipad.jpg

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Changed my mind and went with a T300. Most comments I saw after the fact said that the T300 is really that much better of an upgrade. Woo! Should be here Friday (thanks Amazon Prime).

E: I did a little searching and it looks like you can add tracks to AC? How easy/hard is that to do?

terrible

Banned
Changed my mind and went with a T300. Most comments I saw after the fact said that the T300 is really that much better of an upgrade. Woo! Should be here Friday (thanks Amazon Prime).

E: I did a little searching and it looks like you can add tracks to AC? How easy/hard is that to do?

It's insanely easy to add tracks to AC. Just copy the folder into the tracks folder and it'll show up the next time you start the game. assettocorsa -> content -> tracks

Shaneus

It's is a bit cryptical: https://twitter.com/KunosStefano/status/740484879956254720
Can the cat count to ten?
Kunos logo is a cat aswell...

What is going on with the ten? Any ideas?
The 10 just means there's 10 days until the announcement. The cats might not have anything to do with it either, it might just be that it's their logo.

I have the GTEye and it is a big improvement although if you have powerful legs, you'll still push the brake pedal to the stop with ease. I need to put a squash ball or something else to make the pedal even harder to press.
Shit, I can't reach the end of the throw on my brake pedal unless I use a LOT of force. I must have weak calves :(

The 10 just means there's 10 days until the announcement. The cats might not have anything to do with it either, it might just be that it's their logo.

Unless I'm mistaken and/or they're in a different timezone to what I think, that tweet was posted at 11am today, the 8th, so 10 days would be the 18th and not the 17th.

Might have been a joke referring to "Turn 10 Acquiring Kunos" story.

I'm not sure I follow. Shaneus was commenting on the 10s themselves, not the Turn10 rumours, that it just meant there were 10 days until the announcement. But as the tweet shows, when the 10 was mentioned it was in fact only 9 days until the announcement.

DD

Okay, my G27 finally arrived. Didn't have the time to set it properly, or to try for more than 3 minutes, but OH MY GOD, THE TERROR!

As I said before, I had a Logitech Momo Racing Wheel borrowed from a friend some time ago, and I remember well how weird it was at the beginning. But eventually I got used to it. But the G27 is a completely different beast! The pedals are stiff, specially the brake! And it's so close to the clutch (and I was so used to the two pedal scheme of the Momo) that I'll probably spend a week to get used to it. The paddle shifter doesn't have the obvious "click" the Momo had too. And I didn't even tested the manual shifter with clutch! >.>

Shaneus

You can change the pedal configuration/layout (slightly) on G27 pedals :) I did that as the first thing when I got them.

Unless I'm mistaken and/or they're in a different timezone to what I think, that tweet was posted at 11am today, the 8th, so 10 days would be the 18th and not the 17th.
TBH I didn't check exactly when the tweet was posted, I just figured that because of my backwards timezone compared to everyone else on GAF, it was probably about 10 days.

Dave_6

Welp, Kunos has officially shut down the modding section of their forums permanently. Their mod section after the 17th will be only for tutorials and such. I'm thinking it could really hurt the modding scene and there are still so many good WIP mods yet to be released. Racedepartment is pretty much the place for it now; hopefully it won't deter most folks and they will just migrate to RD.

http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/modding-section-subforums-terms-of-use.33407/

Edit: IMO I think part of it has to do with whatever is being announced on the 17th.

Welp, Kunos has officially shut down the modding section of their forums permanently. Their mod section after the 17th will be only for tutorials and such. I'm thinking it could really hurt the modding scene and there are still so many good WIP mods yet to be released. Racedepartment is pretty much the place for it now; hopefully it won't deter most folks and they will just migrate to RD.

http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/modding-section-subforums-terms-of-use.33407/

Edit: IMO I think part of it has to do with whatever is being announced on the 17th.
FOM bought Kunos!

Dave_6

I'm seriously wondering if they are being bought by someone, or at least maybe merging.

Or maybe mods on Steam workshop?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

I downloaded a bunch from assettocorsa.club last night, as well as racedepartment. As someone brand new to this, I'm super curious myself why they would randomly decide to shut down mods on the official forums?

TJP

In time I'm sure we'll find the reasons as to why Kunos killed modding on their forum - it seems like an odd decision to me as its pissed off quite a few of the modders. That said, I've been a member of the official forum since its inception however I rarely visit or post on the official forums as most of the mods are found on Race Department.

Stefano AKA Lord Kunos said:
guys just a couple of clarifications and then I will let you continue with your rants.

The situation is very unfortunate and we are to blame to let this go for too long without anybody taking actions. Sadly these action are going to upset somebody and we'll all have to live with it.

There was a basic misunderstanding about the role and the meaning of the "3D Models" and "Tracks" subsection of the modding forum were. This is mainly a support forum and not a community forum. It is supposed to be a place where people interested in either fixing a problem with AC, or doing something with AC come to find information.

Sadly those forums turned into showcases of stuff instead of places to ask questions regarding mods, it was simply not the intended use of a tool tshat we wanted to offer.

In the future we'll either re open those forums or open new ones with the clear intent of offering support to those with questions regarding modding and not as a artist showcase.

I understand the decision will make some people unhappy, and I am totally fine letting you vent your disappointment in this thread (as long you are able to keep it civilized)... but I am pretty sure your lives will be fine just as they were fine before AC came out.

People wanting to showcase their works will have to find another place on the internet, luckily, there are very good candidates available... I am confident the new support forum for modding will remain a great reference for those looking to create content or AC.

I apologize for the abrupt decision, but it was one of those things that it was going to hurt more the more it was going to be allowed to go on, this is a learning process for us and we're always trying to do what we think is the best for the project.

Tutorials and relevant info threads WILL NOT BE DELETED.. that is the ENTIRE point of having those forums.

If somebody thinks this decision will want to make them stop using AC then good luck to them for their future endeavors, it was a great pleasure to have you here.

I bet Bram H is loving the decision.

In Reiza news, their FB page posted an image of Cadwell Park ;)

Zeth

I'm seriously wondering if they are being bought by someone, or at least maybe merging.

Or maybe mods on Steam workshop?

I'm thinking Steam Workshop might be a possibility. But it could also just be general pressure from manufacturers. Having dozens of BMW, Mercedes, Honda, etc unlicensed cars documented all over your official forums could cause issues in licensing discussions.

Obviously they're wishing they'd done it earlier, but it seems understandable as they're growing and launching on consoles soon. Wipe the slate clean going forward and they don't have to worry about the stuff.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
What other non-iRacing sims should I pick up for use with my new wheel? Are there any decent sim games with an "open world" segment? It sounds odd, but I find it super fun to just drive around in cities (soon to be with a wheel!) and just relax.

TJP

Build 1098. Setting the Record Straight (Diffusive Adhesion & Planar Compliances): http://isiforums.net/f/entry.php/12...aight-(Diffusive-Adhesion-Planar-Compliances)

A lot of talk has been generated recently about the new build, and the apparent physics changes. I'm going to try and keep this brief. B1098 should not influence any physical attributes unless that vehicle contains the new [Realtime] parameters in the .TGM file. I had a blind test when diffusive adhesion was implemented, and found no discernible difference, furthermore, tests made within +ttool gave identical results (within the tolerance of error). For those that don't know, +ttool is basically a bench test for the tyres.

rF2 engine model, and gear ratio restrictions : http://isiforums.net/f/entry.php/11-rF2-engine-model-and-gear-ratio-restrictions

So far we covered the most basic import of rF1 style physics into rF2, followed by most of the HDV and TBC parameter updates / improvements. Now, it's time to tackle the improved internal combustion engine model.

Love this new iRacing tech! The latest build overhauled the dust/debris system, meaning that dirt can be kicked up, carried in the wind, and spread all over the track. It's part of an ongoing project to bring dirt racing to the sim, plus more advanced debris and, eventually, rain. Here's a timelapse of some enthusiastic oval racers who didn't want to wait, who managed to generate a dirt track by doing controlled burnouts around Oxford Plains:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eYFiW0hAd4

Dave_6

Haha that's awesome! I downloaded the new updates but didn't play it as I had to take my wheel off of my new desk and didn't feel like hooking it back up. I definitely think I need to pick up a wheelstand of some kind.

Bringing dirt back onto the track is indeed very cool. It really gives the track a lot of life. A bit more instant gratification than rubber build up.

After some doubts about the bugginess of the Popcorn particle system, I'm finally running that maxed out too, and that's amazing as well! You get the occasional big stone flying at you, it's great.

Makikou

Bringing dirt back onto the track is indeed very cool. It really gives the track a lot of life. A bit more instant gratification than rubber build up.

After some doubts about the bugginess of the Popcorn particle system, I'm finally running that maxed out too, and that's amazing as well! You get the occasional big stone flying at you, it's great.

It's small things relatively but god damn my immersion has improved by a tenfold with this latest update again.

TheMan

Just bought a t150 and it's pretty cool, although still getting used to it. Compared to a gamepad, you gain precision in some ways and lose it in others.

Patrick S.

Banned
Just bought a t150 and it's pretty cool, although still getting used to it. Compared to a gamepad, you gain precision in some ways and lose it in others.

Yeah, I had the same experiece. Playing with the wheel and pedals is much more tiring than just flicking an analog stick with your thumb and squeezing a trigger with your index finger.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Anyone have suggestions for an affordable and compact wheel stand option? My pedals slide so damn much when I'm playing. I was thinking of a Wheel Stand Pro, but I wasn't sure if there were cheaper options that do what that does.

Anyone have suggestions for an affordable and compact wheel stand option? My pedals slide so damn much when I'm playing. I was thinking of a Wheel Stand Pro, but I wasn't sure if there were cheaper options that do what that does.
The other similar stand I know was from Fanatec, but it is discontinued. Used Wheel Stand Pros appear on ebay regularly.

The cheapest option is to bolt your pedals to some wood, and brace the wood up against the wall. I did this for years - it was effective even with modified T500RS pedals.

Top Bottom