• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims Thread

spuckthew

I don't understand that layout and didn't know they used it in real life. How many times are you allowed to use the short circuit versus the entire Nordschleife or vice versa? And what permits you to change which route you take on any given lap?

vanty

I really miss Assetto Corsa. Since updating to Windows 10, it never worked for me anymore. Tried a bunch of reinstalls, but nothing. Goes fine in the menus, never loads the race.

I don't even know what to ask to solve this, so i'll probably just have to wait until my new PC is built, maybe by december.

Does the leaderboard app still works fine? Loved doing hotlaps...

Same thing happened to me a month ago. Just go into the video settings and set your resolution again. Mine was down at like 800x600 or something. Set it to 1920x1200 and it worked straight away.

TJP

Yeah, as tyler said, that's how it's done in real life. Here's one of my favorite videos that shows it in real life:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FstXpvGzxZI

*hint* TJP, maybe suggest they bring back the M3 GTR (maybe a whole 2004 class?!?) from GTR 2 with that brutal tranny whine *hint*
All I can do is ask...that said Sector 3 have so many cars 'in the pipeline' that we don't know about until they need to be beta tested.

Shame the V8 Supercars have been shelved for the time being despite Ford and Volvo definitely being on board (a big rasberry to GM-H for being wankers).

I don't understand that layout and didn't know they used it in real life. How many times are you allowed to use the short circuit versus the entire Nordschleife or vice versa? And what permits you to change which route you take on any given lap?

It's used to allow you to start a timed lap without having to complete a long warm up lap around the the whole Nordschleife. The pit lap is start finish straight, so on the out & in lap can take the shortcut.
Race will be the full circuit, other sessions shortcut is available.

Same thing happened to me a month ago. Just go into the video settings and set your resolution again. Mine was down at like 800x600 or something. Set it to 1920x1200 and it worked straight away.
Yeah, I've seen this too. My Nvidia DSR settings got reset on a driver update and the resolution I was using in AC didn't exist anymore and needed resetting.

TheBear

Finally decided to crack into AMS after not playing anything for months and am reminded of how obscure Reizas games are. There's a T300 preset, except it's completely wrong and the throttle input is stuck open. So I have to configure all the main controls. Get out on the track, car won't rev over 3500. Turns out there's no button for the pit limiter which is on by default. I remember going through this whole thing when I first played SCE, except that time it took me an hour to work it out rather than 15 mins this time.

They're not big on hand holding are they?

Anyway, how do I firm up the FFB? Steering feels a bit light.

Also, are there any legit arcade cabinet games (i.e Daytona, Sega Rally) that have been ported to PC with full FFB? Would love to try them out.

Last question, does RRE content go on sale? Already have a few packs like ADAC 2014 and I know it takes into account previous purchases. I have about 1100 vrp that I completely forgot about!

TJP

Last question, does RRE content go on sale? Already have a few packs like ADAC 2014 and I know it takes into account previous purchases. I have about 1100 vrp that I completely forgot about!
Yes R3E content does go on sale and has been during the most recent Steam sales. The Sector 3 FB and support forum always list the R3E sales period and the content on sale ;)

I'm pretty new to iracing and still racing the mx5, has anyone had strange freezing issues but the game still runs in background?
Today I was on pole, waiting for green lights but they didn't change. Got the spotter telling me to "go go go" and hence slipped down the standings. That incident didn't appear to freeze the whole image just the lights.
However coming up to the finish at Charlotte road on a incident feel race, the screen froze but I could hear the game running. Crossed the line with a frozen screen & picked up an off track & lost of control as I cut the grass on the infield & crossed the line sideways. Was frozen for 10 seconds or so.
Any one had these issues, or know what it could be?
I'm done about 15races & these both happened in same race, otherwise no issues

AxeMan

I'm pretty new to iracing and still racing the mx5, has anyone had strange freezing issues but the game still runs in background?
Today I was on pole, waiting for green lights but they didn't change. Got the spotter telling me to "go go go" and hence slipped down the standings. That incident didn't appear to freeze the whole image just the lights.
However coming up to the finish at Charlotte road on a incident feel race, the screen froze but I could hear the game running. Crossed the line with a frozen screen & picked up an off track & lost of control as I cut the grass on the infield & crossed the line sideways. Was frozen for 10 seconds or so.
Any one had these issues, or know what it could be?
I'm done about 15races & these both happened in same race, otherwise no issues

I've been racing the Mazda at Charlotte all the past week, probably did about 10 races and didn't have any problems like that.

What did the on-screen stats tell you? The ones in the top right that show the Ping, FPS etc

The only problem I had was finding out that you could turn the car off. I was sitting in 2nd waiting for the lights to go out and I noticed that the Mazda's dash was saying 'low oil pressure' and I couldn't rev the engine.
Lights went out and the race started. About 4 people crashed into me because of it.

I must have accidently hit the 'I' button that turns the car off. I didn't know this was possible. Why would there be an option to turn the car off??
Anyway, I know now that pressing 'S' will start the car

I've been racing the Mazda at Charlotte all the past week, probably did about 10 races and didn't have any problems like that.

What did the on-screen stats tell you? The ones in the top right that show the Ping, FPS etc

FPS is 84
Ping usually 66/100

Given that the game was still running in the background and came back to me I assume it's a local machine issue. I had woken the PC up from sleep rather than a clean boot.

I had that problem, its the screen resolution setting. Go into your options and check that its set correctly.

Thank you so much guys! Should have asked before here.

Changed a few times until i was able to get it to work. Now i´m alreading testing all the DLC they released lately, great stuff.

TJP

http://www.bsimracing.com/first-assetto-corsa-porsche-footage/

And a 911 RSR teaser
28558162155_9f4820ac04_o.jpg

TJP

Hey TJP, do you know anything about the new Vette and the new R8? Spill the beans! :D
All of the dev's are on holidays so I wouldn't know what Sector 3 have in store at the moment. In regards to the new Mercedes-AMG GT3, Georg posted on bsimracing that "We specifically requested CAD data of the racing version" :)

In other DX9 sim news, the road map for AMS was released today: http://www.bsimracing.com/automobilista-july-development-update/ It is way to large to fully post and unfair to BSR who deserve page views..so here is one section of the entire article:

bsimracing said:
We´ll be dropping out of our usual EA release schedule by not releasing a new EA update this friday, as all efforts are now concentrated towards wrapping v1.0 for an early august release. In the changelog attatched to this post you can see the latest changelog for the v0.9.9 build which is hitting Beta this friday. We are pushing to add to this list by introducing a couple of extra features along with some further polishing before wrap-up time. On the content side, our biggest addition will be the F-Vintage, our own “GPL” celebration of that heroic era in motorsports.

As it had been outlined in our AMS dev roadmap, the original plan was to do a single car based off a 1967 spec, V12 powered GP car, however we couldn´t resist spicing things up a bit by adding some diversity to the field, so we created an alternative version of the car by bolting a DFV V8 engine in place of the V12.

The late 1960s was of course also a very significant time in racing due to the “discovery” of downforce – we decided to explore that too by creating a low-winged, “1969” season of F-Vintages.

There is also news about the upcoming DLC packs and Imola is coming to AMS ;)

saladine1

Great to hear AMS moving forward!

So happy these sims keep getting feature and content updates.
Like a kid in a candy store.

TJP said:
bsimracing said:
We´ll be dropping out of our usual EA release schedule by not releasing a new EA update this friday, as all efforts are now concentrated towards wrapping v1.0 for an early august release. In the changelog attatched to this post you can see the latest changelog for the v0.9.9 build which is hitting Beta this friday. We are pushing to add to this list by introducing a couple of extra features along with some further polishing before wrap-up time. On the content side, our biggest addition will be the F-Vintage, our own “GPL” celebration of that heroic era in motorsports.

As it had been outlined in our AMS dev roadmap, the original plan was to do a single car based off a 1967 spec, V12 powered GP car, however we couldn´t resist spicing things up a bit by adding some diversity to the field, so we created an alternative version of the car by bolting a DFV V8 engine in place of the V12.

The late 1960s was of course also a very significant time in racing due to the “discovery” of downforce – we decided to explore that too by creating a low-winged, “1969” season of F-Vintages.

Nice! AMS is so chunky with content and features now.

TJP

I'm hearing pops and clicks, and not the good kind. :/
Just wait for the final version and then we can pass judgment 😎

I'm glad Reiza are making more interesting DLC like the he Ultima; I wish someone would give us a TVR or two (race versions would be ace).

Just wait for the final version and then we can pass judgment
It could be related to the capture of this particular clip, or the upload to YouTube. The clicks don't seem to correspond with a certain RPM, so I don't think it is from the original samples. I just find it surprising that they'd approve the upload of an audio preview with this kind of issue.

TJP

It could be related to the capture of this particular clip, or the upload to YouTube. The clicks don't seem to correspond with a certain RPM, so I don't think it is from the original samples. I just find it surprising that they'd approve the upload of an audio preview with this kind of issue.
I don't see avatars on NeoGAF right now but didn't you have an Ultima? Or at least drive one? Perhaps you can give Reiza some feedback once the beta version drops.

Anyone read the entire Reiza post on Bsim? Seems Niels has been working his magic on many aspects of the pMotor 2 engine.

I don't see avatars on NeoGAF right now but didn't you have an Ultima? Or at least drive one? Perhaps you can give Reiza some feedback once the beta version drops.
I wish! I think that's marvelharvey :)
Yes, that's me. Two actually, but the engine sounds couldn't be more different. My yellow Ultima could only participate in the most noisiest of noise limit trackdays. The silver one on the other hand, I could barely tell if the engine was running. That being said, I had a Sport and Reiza's is the Ultima GTR version, which has a whole new exhaust assembly. Couple the above with my recent hearing loss, and my ability to give constructive feedback is rather limited.

These days, I drive a Toyota Passo :( #kidsareexpensive

TJP

I wish! I think that's marvelharvey :)
Trust me to get it wrong! You're the man with the British Airways pilot's voice.

Yes, that's me. Two actually, but the engine sounds couldn't be more different. My yellow Ultima could only participate in the most noisiest of noise limit trackdays. The silver one on the other hand, I could barely tell if the engine was running. That being said, I had a Sport and Reiza's is the Ultima GTR version, which has a whole new exhaust assembly. Couple the above with my recent hearing loss, and my ability to give constructive feedback is rather limited.

These days, I drive a Toyota Passo :( #kidsareexpensive
I'd still give any feedback you can...anything is better than guesswork!

As I've mentioned, one of the Sector 3 beta testers owns a KTM X-Bow and recently raced in the amateur series with a modded road car on slicks.

He has provided a lot of insight and managed to get the fastest R Spec driver (two X-Bow classes race at the same time) to provide his car setup settings directly to Sector 3.

I believe a user of Assetto Corsa did the same with the Lotus 2-11 which Kunos used to fettle their in game car.

Branson

So I just had a Playseat handed to me as a gift for a video card(lol) and have a question, does anyone know the size of the screws that go into the bottom of the G27 pedals and Thrustmaster TX wheel? He doesn't remember where he put them.

spuckthew

R3E is actually pretty awesome from a gameplay perspective. I've only briefly played it before (2hrs play time over a year prior to today lol) and I never bought any content, but today I was feeling the itch and I bought DTM '14 because it was the best deal for me (some good tracks and 3 cars). I also bought Suzuka because it's one of my favourite tracks and I generally go well there in any car.

So yeah, R3E is a lot of fun. It drives easier than AC for me, though I wouldn't say it's easy per se: you can still lose the car in the same way as any other sim, but I can attack it more and I don't constantly lock up at the slightest touch. I also really like the challenges since you don't need to own the cars/tracks to play them - sort of enhances the F2P aspect of the game.

Patrick S.

Banned
I played some more Assetto Corsa today. The improvements to the AI are really huge; I did four laps on the Norschleife against 17 AI cars and I didn't have one single contact with any of them.

And the handling continues to be awesome in this game. I also love the new cockpit view that's a bit more zoomed in and doesn't have the steering wheel visible.

And I was playing with the steering wheel which I had stored away for a long time because of space reasons, and man, it's really incredible how much more fun it is to play with a wheel, and how much easier it is to control the cars on the limit or correct mistakes, which is very difficult for me to do with the 360 controller.

My best lap on the Norschleife today was 7:54.XX in a McLaren 650S GT3 without touching the setup at all, I think that's a nice laptime for a casual like me. Hah, I'll go drive same car/track combination with the controller now, to see what the difference in laptimes will be compared to the G27 :) I'll report later.

Edit: 7:54:002 with the controller. I'm really surprised I managed a faster lap with the controller than with the wheel :O Tires were medium slicks both times, btw.

Edit: 7:54:002 with the controller. I'm really surprised I managed a faster lap with the controller than with the wheel :O Tires were medium slicks both times, btw.
I think it would be worth trying this comparison on a more conventional circuit. At least on a shorter track, you can quickly lay down a bunch of lap times and find a good rhythm. The Nordschleife is such a long, technical challenge that there is a higher chance of setting a few unusually fast or slow laps. You may reach exactly the same conclusion however! :)

7:54 on the Nordschleife Endurance Cup layout aka VLN (edit: in a GT3 car in Assetto Corsa, which is slower than the other modern sims)? Casual??
That's a fucking Alien time in my book...

or did you mean the 20.8km Nordschleife-only layout? In that case I'm with Betta, then the time might be more down to your personal approach to drive the track(line + braking) than skill with the input method.

Patrick S.

Banned
7:54 on the Nordschleife Endurance Cup layout (aka VLN) ? Casual??
That's a fucking Alien time in my book...

or did you mean the 20.8km Nordschleife-only layout? In that case I'm with Betta, then the time might be more down to your personal approach to drive the track(line + braking) than skill with the input method.

Yeah, the Nordschleife only. It did surprise a lot me that my times with both control methods were so similar, because I tend to overdo my steering inputs when playing with the controller, and I thought that this would really scre up my lap times. I have no idea if 7:54 is a good or bad lap either, I'm really a very casual player and always switch cars and tracks, instead of grinding and really learning track/car combinations like many people do.

Patrick S.

Banned
I think it would be worth trying this comparison on a more conventional circuit. At least on a shorter track, you can quickly lay down a bunch of lap times and find a good rhythm. The Nordschleife is such a long, technical challenge that there is a higher chance of setting a few unusually fast or slow laps. You may reach exactly the same conclusion however! :)

I'll do Spielberg and Barcelona or Algarve tomorrow :)

Yeah, the Nordschleife only. It did surprise a lot me that my times with both control methods were so similar, because I tend to overdo my steering inputs when playing with the controller, and I thought that this would really scre up my lap times. I have no idea if 7:54 is a good or bad lap either, I'm really a very casual player and always switch cars and tracks, instead of grinding and really learning track/car combinations like many people do.

A GT3 car timed on just the Nordschleife section can be down to 6:50 in real life. considering that I've seen 6:38 in Raceroom, which is the faster game compared to AC, all without cheating, I'd say 6:50 should be possible in Assetto Corsa too?? I think(?) I did ~7:10 in the McLaren MP4 GT3, but never tried the 650S and still haven't tried the new Ferrari 488 GT3 (or was it GTE? nevermind) car. I think I'll give both of those a go now.

Now, please don't think I'm judging, that was JFYI. I am really (really!) slow myself compared to the average sim enthusiast and anyone who loves playing a racing sim without going ridge racer + destruction derby is not someone I'd call "casual". Also fun comes not from lap times and I'm pretty sure some really fast guys have less passion for racing games/sims than you and me.

Patrick S.

Banned
Just tried the MP4 GT3 on the Norschleife playing with the controller, I did a time of 7:48:74 starting from the box, and going off track two times. I'll try doing a flying lap and hopefully without going off track tomorrow haha :)

Watevaman

Just to throw my two cents in, I just did a lap in the MP4 GT3 with my DFGT and got a 7:22 on the first lap, flying off track once at Pfanzgarten II and then with the dirty tires at Schwalbenschwanz. I imagine without those two run offs, it would've been around a 7:15 or so. Just like tyler, I consider myself to be pretty slow compared to most people, but I also feel that consistency is much more important than overall speed. Sure, you may be able to do a quick lap, but how many did it take you to do that and how many mistakes did you make on other laps? If you look at real lap times, qualifying laps are always so much quicker than most race laps.

A 7:50 with a controller is really damn good imo, especially given the less fidelity in the controls with a stick vs a wheel. If you want pointers, the best thing to do would be to post a replay of your lap with the input controls module on screen, so people can give advice on where your line may be wonky or where you may be able to take a turn flat out instead of letting off. I know I get a lot of pointers from watching other people race the same combos as me and seeing where they're attacking the track differently.

Speaking of AC, though. Is it just me or are the tire temps/indicators they give you on the default module a little wonky? I find my tires going into the red zone just from normal driving with default setups. And then of course, I'm losing traction because the tires are overheated.

Patrick S.

Banned
If you want pointers, the best thing to do would be to post a replay of your lap with the input controls module on screen, so people can give advice on where your line may be wonky or where you may be able to take a turn flat out instead of letting off. I know I get a lot of pointers from watching other people race the same combos as me and seeing where they're attacking the track differently.

I might actually do that, good idea.

Just tried the MP4 GT3 on the Norschleife playing with the controller, I did a time of 7:48:74 starting from the box, and going off track two times. I'll try doing a flying lap and hopefully without going off track tomorrow haha :)

Just 6 hours ago I saw ISRTV on the side and thought "man, I'm kinda fed up with GT3 and DTM cars" and now I had a ton of fun with the 488 GT3 and the 650S GT3. Weird how that plays out sometimes... and I guess GT3 cars aren't all the same for real ;D

Anyway, I did a 7:06 in the 650S on my first try, well... my first real try, my actual first try ended after 30 seconds because my brain was still wired for warmed up tires on the 488. I also went 4 tires-off-the-track somewhere in my actual lap, but the convenient replay camera position covers my mistake up, so nobody else will ever know ;) (edit: Ha! You can still totally tell, where it happened ;D)

Also, during that drive, I had a good idea for comparing controller driving with wheel driving in AC: Have you heard of the ACTI App for Assetto Corsa? You can get telemetry from the game saved to a file that can be read by the MoTeC i2 app that is used in real world racing for telemetry. There you can compare telemetry of 2 laps side by side, steering and throttle inputs could be interesting to compare (why have I never done that in GT6?).

Did you tune the setup or did you run the default? What tires did you use?

That telemetry app looks cool!

untouched setup, no idea what the standard tires are. Didn't change the amount of fuel either. And it was hotlap mode, not practice. For the Nordschleife the ride height could be a little higher and maybe softer too in my opinion, but otherwise solid setup for my taste and driving style.

Edit: Oh and "factory" for traction control and ABS. I mean it's a GT3 car, they are built to be driven with stuff activated. Don't try to go "The Stig also always switches everything off" there. AC has custom modeled TC and ABS for every car that actually can make you faster or at least gets you closer to how a car would feel if you were to drive it in real life.

Edit2:
Speaking of AC, though. Is it just me or are the tire temps/indicators they give you on the default module a little wonky? I find my tires going into the red zone just from normal driving with default setups. And then of course, I'm losing traction because the tires are overheated.
I've never noticed, what car in particular did you have that problem with? In AC every tire for every car(!) has a unique modeling file and lists an ideal pressure for grip that is quite a bit higher than the starting pressure - for some tires more so than others. So in theory you can have the same starting tire temperature for the (actually-not-really-)same "street 90s" tire but on the one car that pressure is too low and the tire core heats up faster.

Top Bottom