• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims Thread

Dave_6

From Marco @ Kunos:
29170016976_f2c8b52056_o.jpg

It's been a little while since I spent time with the Automobilista betas, but the new throttle mapping code in AMS 1.0 is amazing. It feels a lot more natural, especially in cars like the FV12 and the V8SC for example. They're like...completely different now. You'd wiggle your toes in the FV12, and a bomb would go off. Now the torque comes on a lot more as you'd expect it to. No more torque bombs!

Their take on the ubiquitous 1967 F1 car is very interesting with the throttle mapping too. The engine specs on it seem to be down about 50 ft/lbs to the DFV in the back of a real Lotus 49, so that may have contributed heavily to the drivability as well. I need to try the '69 car tomorrow to be sure.

If you consider yourself a bit of a throttle control junky you might feel a little disappointed, but I think it makes many of the cars much more approachable. More in line with how I'd imagine they'd actually be, if I'm honest.

If you've previously struggled with throttle control in GSC/SC:E/earlier AMS, or many other sims for that matter, you should really come back and see if you find these new physics tweaks more agreeable. I bet you will. I'm sure of it actually.

Niels is a favourite of mine to listen to.
Definitely could have listened to him for another hour explaining throttle response in real life versus sim.
Only fired up AMS once since early access, wanted to wait for the final release. Now it's here and great timing, too, for someone like me who is going to skip F1 2016 and is waiting for Porsches and eventually Australia. Perfect.

TJP

Definitely could have listened to him for another hour explaining throttle response in real life versus sim.
Only fired up AMS once since early access, wanted to wait for the final release. Now it's here and great timing, too, for someone like me who is going to skip F1 2016 and is waiting for Porsches and eventually Australia. Perfect.
AMS would have to sit near the very top of what is available on PC right now for sim racers. I wish changeable weather was available as that's my only gripe about the AMS package.

Nearly everything Reiza have done wit AMS has been driving/racing gold. I've loved the beta versions of AMS and look forward to beta testing the DLC.

Zeth

AC 1.8 changelog

- New Ferrari FXXK (Tripl3 Pack DLC)
- New Ferrari 488 GTB (Tripl3 Pack DLC)
- New Praga R1 (Tripl3 Pack DLC)
- New Audi S1 (A1)
- New Monza 66 Full Course (sopraelevata)
- New Monza 66 Junior Course
- Improved reflection quality
- Improved shadow stability
- Improved graphics performance
- Fixed Tyre Model 10 not updating Dx and Dy value in telemetry app
- Added AI traction mistakes
- AI improvements on slower reaction after an impact, for more realistic collisions
- Overlay Leaderboard now shows correct positions on the grid at race start
- Fixed Laps app showing 0 as first lap
- Fixed Race Control UI for the low resolution screens
- Wrong direction penalty gets also time penalty
- Added float clutch to SPageFilePhysics
- Fixed turbolevel digital item showing a wrong value
- Fixed various problems/timing on ghost cars
- Fixed typo on sound distance attenuation for Lotus Evora GTC/GX
- Fixed sample attack for BMW M3 e30 GrA/DTM limiters
- Replay files will not reset anymore at session start (no need to rush out of the server anymore to save a replay)
- Fixed remote cars head movements in multiplayer and multiplayer replays
- Fixed typo on LaFerrari active differential lock in coast and small bumpstop stiffness changes
- General improvements on V10 tyres for rolling resistance, flex, pressures and more.
- Improved Maserati GranTurismo MC GT4 suspension, should improve braking without ABS
- V10 tyres for Hypercars LaFerrari, McLaren P1, Pagani Huayra
- V10 tyres for GT2 cars BMW M3 GT2, Ferrari 458 GT2, Corvette C7R
- V10 tyres for Racing Hypercars Ferrari 599XX, Ferrari FXXK, Pagani Zonda R
- Fixed ERS power output when battery is close to 0 and MGU-H is set to battery
- Removed ERS cockpit controls for MGU-H and Recovery in McLaren P1
- Improvement in performance for collision detection and physics solver
- Fixed clouds when switching sessions
- Returning to pit during a time penalty results in a greater time penalty
- Fixed possible drive through cheat
- Fixed blurred objects not working if speed was negative
- Fixed hotlap mode: now valid laps will be correctly registered
- Removed white flag: a new message will appear the moment the race leader starts his last lap
- Modding: extra animations now binded to three channels NUM 4, 5 and 6 (group animations to make them play simultaneously, otherwise each clip will be played separately)
- Modding: rotating object support, useful for cooling fans [ROTATING_OBJECT_0] in extra_animations (affects in-game)
- Modding: series scripts added for digital speed bars [SPEED_SERIE_0] in digital_instruments and invert option for KERS input items (add INVERT=1 line)

AI traction mistakes sounds interesting - seeing the AI drift the 250f on Stefano's stream was hilarious. I'm gonna be driving historic Monza all weekend for sure.

Dave_6

I wanna say that Kunos said the console UI is not coming to PC. I don't have any issues with the current UI though, much easier to navigate than say RF2's.

terrible

Banned
Yeah other than wanting the new AI just for something new and shiny to play around with I have no issue with the current UI. I have a mouse handy when I'm using my wheel so not being able to navigate with my wheel alone is not an issue personally.

I wanna say that Kunos said the console UI is not coming to PC. I don't have any issues with the current UI though, much easier to navigate than say RF2's.
I think, I remembered last year they said that it would come to PC. Maybe I'm misremembering, but I met another gaffer who thought the same in the 2015 "AC is coming to consoles"-thread.

Yeah other than wanting the new AI just for something new and shiny to play around with I have no issue with the current UI. I have a mouse handy when I'm using my wheel so not being able to navigate with my wheel alone is not an issue personally.

I have a portable keyboard with the shittiest touch-pad as a mouse substitute, but usually I'm fine with AC's UI. The console UI looks nicer though and I'd be interested how they handled apps and buttons for boost pressure adjustment, TC/ABS setting while driving.

Zeth

No UI change coming to PC last I heard. I've been using Content Manager and it's sublime - loads instantly, everything editable and searchable. I get that people want controller navigation though.

kiyomi

Loving AC so far. Just got it on PC and don't have a wheel atm but holy smokes, it is so much more responsive and the steering more direct than pCars.

Only played for an hour so I'll be checking out some mods sooner or later.

Are there any reasonably good wheels for PC that don't cost a fortune? Or is the G29 the only real way to go if you want something decent? I'm a little scared because I've played racing games all my life but never with a wheel - just worried that I'd spend all my gaming time playing nothing but racing games if I got one. :3

Tried to play AC yesterday and my PC couldn´t recognize the G25. Tried to uninstall and install the logitech app and same thing. It just keeps showing a blue fischer price wheel on the display, probably a cheap Logitech model.

Since it doesn´t recognize the G25, game becomes unplayable.

Never heard of a bug like this before on Windows 10. Anyone has had this?

Other than reinstalling the app i don´t know what i can do.

Oh boy...that praga r1!

Had my server set for just that car (24 slots), run it at Mugello + Spa...what a blast. :)
Because it's a super stable car, grips like buggery and is just plain awesome, it allows for VERY close racing.
Plus, to top a cracking nights racing i had a special guest pop into my twitch chat. ;)

An5la02.png

Megasoum

Banned
Err.... Anybody ever had an issue with the CSP pedals where the gas pedal doesn't register to the full? Like when I press the gas pedal all the way down it actually only registers like 75%.

Edit: Ok looks like I had a screw loose under the throttle... Screwed it tight with an alan key and it's working fine now... Phew...

Shaneus

The issue I have with the regular UI of AC is that it's a complete bitch to read compared to the Codies titles, for example. Keep the menus the same for all I care, but at least make them easier to read.

Hell, even AMS is easier to make out than AC on my 46" plasma.

Effect

Finally managed to find a racing wheel I could afford (with tax and free shipping it's $67) but also return easily (this was important) if it doesn't turn out well.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/30824036

Not the best of course. It's a Thrustmaster Ferrari Red Legend Race Wheel (for PS3/PC). I also figure if I really like the experience and I believe it changes things up enough for me compared to using a Xbox 360 controller I might just return it and then get something better. I just can't make a larger investment at the moment with such an unknown. Hoping for the best though.

TJP

Finally managed to find a racing wheel I could afford (with tax and free shipping it's $67) but also return easily (this was important) if it doesn't turn out well.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/30824036

Not the best of course. It's a Thrustmaster Ferrari Red Legend Race Wheel (for PS3/PC). I also figure if I really like the experience and I believe it changes things up enough for me compared to using a Xbox 360 controller I might just return it and then get something better. I just can't make a larger investment at the moment with such an unknown. Hoping for the best though.
Thrustmaster make well thought of equipment so no doubt you'll be happy with what you've bought 8)

ShowDog

I know this is the PC racing sims thread but hopefully I can get some help here about my racing wheel. I just scored a t500rs with a stand and the th8 shifter off of offerup for what seems like a great deal. Unfortunately, my PC isn't in a good spot to use this sucker and it's not a dedicated gaming machine I can move around wherever I want whenever I want. Bummer because I have some good Steam racing games and I would also be interested in arcade emulation.

I'm going to experiment with my Steam Link and using VirtualHere to use the wheel on my tv in the garage, but unfortunately it's wifi only down there and I don't have high hopes despite excellent signal strength. So I also want to try some PS3 games to save on some heartache of dealing with streaming. I've got gt6 and f1 2012 and gt6 has been fun so far. I know grid autosport and dirt 3 should work with the t500rs as well.

My difficulty is that apparently not many people use the t500rs on the PS3 because I have a hell of a time figuring out what else has force feedback support with this thing. Daytona USA, Need for Speed Hot Pursuit or Most Wanted, NASCAR, Dirt 2, Grid 2, Shift 2 etc?

If anyone has tried these (I know it's not the same audience) I'd appreciate some knowledge!

Edit: of course now I find an actual updated list from Thrustmaster... Still going to be trying out that steam link though!

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Does anyone know of a sim that has multiple Willow Springs configurations, such as streets of Willow, big Willow, etc.?

TJP

The long awaiting GT3 mod from The Simtek Modding Group is available for download at Race Department.

Car list:
-Mercedes AMG GT3
-Chevrolet Camaro GT3
-McLaren 650S GT3
-Lamborghini Huracan GT3
-Bentley Continental GT3
-Ferrari 488 GT3

DL Link: http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/gt3-world-series.11777/history

Edit: this mod has created a moral shitstorm on RD and bsimracing pulled their story about this mod too. If you have an issue with people using 3D models from other sims, avoid this.

Edit #2: the Simtek mod has been pulled from Race Department after URD revealed their car model and possibly sounds had been used with permission. pCARS and AC 3D models had also been used too by Simtek. It is up on Steam Workshop and other places.

SCES version of Road America (Version 1.41) is also available: http://www.mediafire.com/download/o3moc24793rz233/SMVLM_RoadAmerica_141.rfcmp

TJP

AMS track guru Patrick G has made a 2.9 GB track pack for AMS available on RD: http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/automobilista-track-megapack-18-tracks.11779/

Track list:

Barber MS V1.03
Barcelona V1.03
Bathurst V1.02
Eastern Creek V1.11
Fontana V1.01
Laguna Seca V1.01
Magny-Cours V1.04
Melbourne V1.06
Monza V1.04
Nurburgring V1.02
Putnam Park V1.02
Queensland V1.03
Road America V1.03
Road Atlanta V1.03
Silverstone V1.03
Spa V1.03
Vanport V1.04
Winton V1.02

There is also a track pack for the EEC GT3 mod (check the AMS forums) but who knows the source given their car models come from pCARS.

Makikou

So Le Mans is a great release for iRacing.

It looks amazing for an iRacing track, the FPS is stable (unlike Nurburgring GP straight), the loading times are shorter than Imola even though the track is 835mb making it larger than the Nurburgring packages.

Now we only need Day/Night transitions..

paskowitz

Is Race Department pretty much the home of AC modding ATM since the official AC car/track modding forum closed? Any other place we should look?

Top Bottom