• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims Thread

So neogaf, I need some wheel recommendations. My Fanatec GT3 RS2 shit the bed shortly after the warranty period and I'm tired of playing Rocket League.

What I'm looking for:
-Around $300 USD, I'm willing to pay a bit more if it's worth it.
-Belt Driven
-High quality build
-Stick shift not necessary, paddles will do.

I'd rather not purchase a Fanatec model, but I'm not against it. I have CSR pedals that I'm content with(nothing special, but they work), so I'd be nice if I could reuse them, though I'm not sure how the PS/2 connector would work on other brands.

Makikou

So neogaf, I need some wheel recommendations. My Fanatec GT3 RS2 shit the bed shortly after the warranty period and I'm tired of playing Rocket League.

What I'm looking for:
-Around $300 USD, I'm willing to pay a bit more if it's worth it.
-Belt Driven
-High quality build
-Stick shift not necessary, paddles will do.

I'd rather not purchase a Fanatec model, but I'm not against it. I have CSR pedals that I'm content with(nothing special, but they work), so I'd be nice if I could reuse them, though I'm not sure how the PS/2 connector would work on other brands.

Thrustmaster T300RS

TJP

The PC sim racing community can be so stupid at times; we've gone from 'my sim is better than your sim' pissing contests to complaints about free stuff. It's little wonder devs don't communicate like they one did.

The guy who complained about the free Porsche's taking up his HDD space is taking the piss.

I have CSR pedals that I'm content with(nothing special, but they work), so I'd be nice if I could reuse them, though I'm not sure how the PS/2 connector would work on other brands.
Yes, lile Makikou said, T300RS.
You can connect the pedals to the T300RS using a CPX adapter for 55USD (I only know that it works with CSPs, you'd have to check). Not sure how the pricing works out, but you can buy a wheelbase and rim from Thrustmaster without pedals - could be though that it's cheaper to just buy pedals than buying a CPX adapter.

Thrustmaster TX is fine too, only 900° of rotation instead of 1080, but basically the same wheel if you don't use the standard italia rim.

I had the misfortune to read the comment section on the news about the free Porsches on RD, it was so silly
same with the "console patch" news. People complaining that Kunos these days is all about "console, console, console", which is completely ridiculous.

Dave_6

I love AC and it's amazing what such a small team like Kunos is able to do, along with the licenses that Marco is able to acquire. I'll never understand why so many sim racers are so ugly and hateful about everything. Guess that's why if I visit RD it's just in the modding forum...

I mean, Porsche is finally coming back to a sim and people still complain about it. It's ridiculous.

Watevaman

If you all could pick just one wheel/rim (including the stock) for a T500, which one would you pick? I recently brought my rig out of storage at my parents' house and have toyed with the idea of getting one of the extra rims. I'm not exactly in need of one, because the stock wheel does me just fine, but it'd be nice to get some opinions if I were to purchase one down the road.

Or, would you guys recommend getting a shifter for it? That would be a bit more pricey, I think, because I'd have to buy a mounting plate.

If you all could pick just one wheel/rim (including the stock) for a T500, which one would you pick? I recently brought my rig out of storage at my parents' house and have toyed with the idea of getting one of the extra rims. I'm not exactly in need of one, because the stock wheel does me just fine, but it'd be nice to get some opinions if I were to purchase one down the road.

Or, would you guys recommend getting a shifter for it? That would be a bit more pricey, I think, because I'd have to buy a mounting plate.
I've tried my T500 with the TX, the GTE and the 599xx rim, my 2 cents: buy a shifter.

...unless 80% of the cars you drive in sims, have flappy paddles and no H-pattern shifter.
Also, if you want to buy the TH8A and use it in sequential configuration a lot as well, buy something to mount it on, that can take some serious abuse.

DiRT Rally with a shifter gives you so many more options, it's really great.

[If you had a TX or T300, I might have recommended the 599xx rim instead, that's really perfect for that wheel's feedback]

Makikou

I'd get the Alcantara 599XX rim or the GTE one.

Zeth

I've been using the 599xx rim since it came out - pretty happy with it. I think it's slightly bigger than the rest. It gives you a bit more room between the paddles and the wheel.

The TM28 is pretty nice too - much better feel than stock imo.

Makikou

I've been using the 599xx rim since it came out - pretty happy with it. I think it's slightly bigger than the rest. It gives you a bit more room between the paddles and the wheel.

The TM28 is pretty nice too - much better feel than stock imo.

The 599XX and the stock T500RS rims are both 30" wide.

The rest are 28"

What's also interesting is that all the wheels roughly weigh 1kg (TX standard is lighter and I never had access to a 28 GT leather rim). The GTE rim's weight is concentrated more on the thicker ring on the outside to make it closer to the 30" inch wheels in terms of rotational inertia.

I did some experimenting with iRacings Wheelcheck app some time ago and sadly don't have the data anymore, so I can't add a legend for this diagram, nor can I add titles or axes label, but these were the results from the step test:
wheelinertiayhuyk.png

In the first diagram, you see the wheels starting at 450° to spin for a set amount of seconds with maximum force in negative direction, then the maximum force is applied the other way in positive direction and some time after that once more in negative direction.
First graph is a degree vs. time graph and the second is supposed to be a radians/s (angular speed) vs time graph (the units on the y axis are wrong though).

Maybe you can see 2 sets of 4 curves each in those graphs. The set that spins faster belongs to the T500, the other belongs to the TX. The 4 curves of each set are the 4 different rims (TX-standard rim, T500-standard rim, GTE, 599xx). The yellow-y-est, fastest rim is the TX-standard, the others are really close together and almost make no difference.
The real difference then is in the longer lever you have on 30" wheels, meaning that on 28" GTE, the forces seem stronger.

I also want to add that the 599xx alcantara rim will clog up over time like a suede rim(just a little slower than suede):
DSC05743.jpg

just to show, what I mean with "clog up"
Best ways around this are a) use gloves when racing hard or b) clean it with a toothbrush and water ~every month(depending on how much you drive), pat it dry with a towel, let it air-dry further and then hard-rub/twist it with a towel to roughen it up again, so it regains that soft-fluffy texture (you can use the blue side of an eraser for some extreme spots).

DD

Got used to F1 2016, then yesterday I decided to go back to RaceRoom to play a bit with a BMW Z4 GT3. Felt like I was driving an elephant. D:

vanty

Assetto Corsa Porsche DLC pricing and pack 1 release date

Just some quick note for our AC fans, before the official announcement: the Porsche Pack Volume 1 will be released on Steam on October 25th, and on PS4 and XB1 as soon as Sony and Microsoft approve the new build, since the approval process on console is not under our control. I'm glad to confirm that Steam approved our request to provide a Season Pass for the Porsche DLCs, that should be available by next week. The Season Pass will cost 15 Eur and it will allow to get all the 3 Porsche DLCs through a unique purchase, saving 28% of the full price. Each DLC will include 7 Porsche models, and will be available at the price of 6,99 Eur on PC, PS4 and XB1. About the list of cars included in the Porsche program, stay tuned. The cars included in the Vol.1: 911 Carrera S, 935 Moby Dick, 918 Spyder, Cayman GT4 Clubsport, 718 Cayman S, 917/30, 911 Carrera RSR 3.0 1974, to provide a perfect mix between road, racing and historic cars. As bonus free content available in the next update of Assetto Corsa, we'll release Silverstone 60's and the new Porsche Panamera G2.

Cheaper than I expected, seems good.

TJP

Add me to the 'season pass' list. Not sure where I'll find the time to drive every car with the DLC for AMS coming too 8)

Great time to be a sim racer!!

TJP

Studio 397 Stylin and Profilin'
199139g6507.gif

Read the full release here: https://www.studio-397.com/2016/10/roadmap-update-october-2016/

There is a promise of monthly updates via their blog. A snippet is below:
Hello everybody, and welcome to the first monthly roadmap update. A month ago, at the SimRacing Expo, we announced the Studio 397 partnership and since then we have talked to a lot of simracing websites about our plans. Thank you all for your positive and honest feedback. We’ll keep an open dialogue with the community.

Seems Radical has been licensed; renders from the blog
Hopefully it isn't another Nissan GT500,

TJP

Seems that DX11 and VR will finally be here come the end of Q1 2017.
We can only hope 8)

I see the next 6 months as a big test of Studio 397 and rF2. We've had years of preview videos ( e.g that sublime rain effects video from 2013), renders (e.g. GT500) and promises of more content released at a faster pace and only the last point happen towards the end of 2015 through the 3PA scheme.

If Studio 397 make good on their release roadmap, then it'll be the return of the King of PC sims. If not, I can't envisage anyone outside of the ultra dedicated waiting around for rF2 to get better support. Studio 397 did work miracles with Reiza so I remain hopeful rF2 shows renewed signs of life.

Makikou

http://www.iracing.com/iracing-part...te-the-digital-simulation-of-ferrari-488-gte/

iRacing Motorsport Simulation, LLC today announced plans to create digital versions of Ferrari’s models. The first product of the partnership between the renowned eSport racing service and the iconic brand will be a virtual Ferrari 488 GTE as raced in the 24 Hours of Le Mans and other events in the 2016 World Endurance Championship.

“This is a landmark moment for iRacing and online racing,” says Steve Myers, Executive Vice President and Executive Producer for iRacing.com. “Ferrari is synonymous with world championship caliber race cars and high performance automobiles. The Prancing Horse logo famously inspires passion among racing and automotive aficionados everywhere. iRacers are also passionate about online racing and I have no doubt they will be thrilled at the prospects of racing the 488 GTE and other Ferraris in the future.”

The Ferrari 488 will join iRacing’s stable of more than 50 meticulously-modeled open wheel, sedan, sports and stock cars which race on laser-scanned versions of the world’s legendary road courses and ovals in private leagues and officially-sanctioned series including the Blancpain GT Series, the iRacing World Championship Grand Prix Series and the NASCAR PEAK Antifreeze Series.

Dave_6

I'm so close to ordering some Clubsport V3 pedals today to replace my G27 pedals. Got to be a huge upgrade right?

Makikou

I'm so close to ordering some Clubsport V3 pedals today to replace my G27 pedals. Got to be a huge upgrade right?

Massive upgrade. Just the fact they are made from aluminium makes them feel so much more real and sturdier than plastic G27 pedals. The pedal faces are also more realistic sized so it feels much more stable.

http://www.iracing.com/iracing-part...te-the-digital-simulation-of-ferrari-488-gte/

iRacing Motorsport Simulation, LLC today announced plans to create digital versions of Ferrari’s models. The first product of the partnership between the renowned eSport racing service and the iconic brand will be a virtual Ferrari 488 GTE as raced in the 24 Hours of Le Mans and other events in the 2016 World Endurance Championship.

“This is a landmark moment for iRacing and online racing,” says Steve Myers, Executive Vice President and Executive Producer for iRacing.com. “Ferrari is synonymous with world championship caliber race cars and high performance automobiles. The Prancing Horse logo famously inspires passion among racing and automotive aficionados everywhere. iRacers are also passionate about online racing and I have no doubt they will be thrilled at the prospects of racing the 488 GTE and other Ferraris in the future.”

The Ferrari 488 will join iRacing’s stable of more than 50 meticulously-modeled open wheel, sedan, sports and stock cars which race on laser-scanned versions of the world’s legendary road courses and ovals in private leagues and officially-sanctioned series including the Blancpain GT Series, the iRacing World Championship Grand Prix Series and the NASCAR PEAK Antifreeze Series.

I thought the day would never come because they've always said how prohibitively expensive the license was. It'll be interesting to see what other models come to the service.

DD

Guys, you probably don't remember, but some time ago I bought Stock Car Extreme and posted here saying that couldn't run it, so I asked for a refund on Steam. Well, I bought it again in a bundle, and even after updating my GTX 960 drivers, the game refuses to run. It actually opens normally, I skip the Reiza intro (or watch it til the end) and then comes the main menu. Everything seems normal but when I click on anything on the menu the game closes and I return to Windows without a crash report or anything. That's it. I click on any option, the next screen comes up (it doesn't matter in which option I click, really!), I can even see the 3D model of the car appearing spinning, depending of which option I click, but then it crashes. This is so weird! How can a click on the mouse do that? Do any of you guys have any idea about this peoblem?

EDIT: video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZ1oZYtCd6Y&feature=youtu.be

Guys, you probably don't remember, but some time ago I bought Stock Car Extreme and posted here saying that couldn't run it, so I asked for a refund on Steam. Well, I bought it again in a bundle, and even after updating my GTX 960 drivers, the game refuses to run. It actually opens normally, I skip the Reiza intro (or watch it til the end) and then comes the main menu. Everything seems normal but when I click on anything on the menu the game closes and I return to Windows without a crash report or anything. That's it. I click on any option, the next screen comes up (it doesn't matter in which option I click, really!), I can even see the 3D model of the car appearing spinning, depending of which option I click, but then it crashes. This is so weird! How can a click on the mouse do that? Do any of you guys have any idea about this peoblem?

Did you uninstall the game after refunding it or was the inaccessible game still on your hard drive?

Either way regardless of the answer have you tried verifying the game? Games on the rFactor engine just quit without an error usually when they hit bad content so maybe something isn't complete with your game.

DD

Did you uninstall the game after refunding it or was the inaccessible game still on your hard drive?

Either way regardless of the answer have you tried verifying the game? Games on the rFactor engine just quit without an error usually when they hit bad content so maybe something isn't complete with your game.

I uninstalled it. I remember playing the demo a long time ago without issues, but I had another VGA back then. Maybe some old file I need to delete manually?

I made a video of the issue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZ1oZYtCd6Y&feature=youtu.be

I uninstalled it. I remember playing the demo a long time ago without issues, but I had another VGA back then. Maybe some old file I need to delete manually?

I made a video of the issue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZ1oZYtCd6Y&feature=youtu.be

That looks to me like it might be something car related. I'm not sure if the game prints a log or anything that might help, but I think you should start by verifying it on Steam anyway because that would rule out a few things.

EDIT: Ah, it seems like it does make a log (or multiple). I think I've found the one that I assume we want. Run the game, let it crash, then go to the Automobilista folder in the Documents folder. You should have a USERDATA directory, then inside that you should have LOG. Inside that you'll have a file called trace.txt, take the last couple of lines from that log and paste them here and we'll see if it says anything useful.

Have you run the graphics configurator tool that's supposed to pop up before the game runs for the first time? You know, it's got your rez, AA, stuff like that. If not, it's in your GSC folder and it should be an exe that's called GSC Config or something.

Afro

X-post. I know this is a sim racing thread, but just listen to this turbo flutter effect in NFS16. Thing sounds MEAN. I get a really good one at 0:20. Crazy. Need for Speed games are so underrated in the sound department. Probably on par w/ DiRT Rally - not sure yet though, have to play some more. Just downloaded w/ Origin Access. Excellent sounding game.

https://youtu.be/wxSIU7P1MQ0

TJP

Here's something a bit different: http://www.drivingitalia.net/forum/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=8038

he Assetto Legends mod is a modulair platform, containing sports- and touring cars from different era and class from the 60 's and 70's. The first pack contains GT cars mostly from the 70's.

Although every car has completely different handling, balance and character, the power to weight ratio’s is pretty equal, resulting in close laptimes and racing.

For the love of classic racing, may the downforce be with you!
Bazza (physics) and Small Block Hero (models, textures)

DD

That looks to me like it might be something car related. I'm not sure if the game prints a log or anything that might help, but I think you should start by verifying it on Steam anyway because that would rule out a few things.

EDIT: Ah, it seems like it does make a log (or multiple). I think I've found the one that I assume we want. Run the game, let it crash, then go to the Automobilista folder in the Documents folder. You should have a USERDATA directory, then inside that you should have LOG. Inside that you'll have a file called trace.txt, take the last couple of lines from that log and paste them here and we'll see if it says anything useful.

I'll do it as soon as I get home tonight. Thanks, mate! <3

EDIT: this guy seems to have the same issue: http://www.racedepartment.com/threa...after-click-anything-inside-game-1-52.121979/

Have you run the graphics configurator tool that's supposed to pop up before the game runs for the first time? You know, it's got your rez, AA, stuff like that. If not, it's in your GSC folder and it should be an exe that's called GSC Config or something.
Yep, I did. I even tried different stuff there to see if it helps, but no dice. =/

EDIT: video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZ1oZYtCd6Y&feature=youtu.be
I had a somewhat similar problem, I could run AMS fine on my old PC, full grids everything max but after a disk format and reinstall only practice and no AI i could run the game anything with full grids would CTD with a C++ error. About a month ago I upgraded my PC, same OS and the game ran fine. WTH?

Dave_6

Just pulled the trigger on the Clubsport v3 pedals; hoping they arrive in time for the first AC Porsche pack. Didn't get the damper kit for the brake pedal though. Gonna wait till after I try them out for a while considering this will be my first load cell experience.

Top Bottom